Cast member strike vote, June 6, 2007

Status
Not open for further replies.

k.hunter30

Me too. If they don't pay a living wage... find another job that does... Unions really really irritate me... They served a purpose once upon a time...but those days are past. Now they just try to paint everyoen with the same broad brush... those that work hard those that don't... Those that have aspirations and ambition in their jobs...and those that struggle to even reach the heights of mediocrity.

I believe in pay for performance... not guaranteed raises just given a span of time... Merit based pay for each individual beats massive contract negotiations that treat employees in bulk.

Okay...anyhow...I just had to add my two cents.
Well said.

brainpile3000

Silly Unions, you need to take an economics class to realize the ramifications of your actions. If you strike, it will not be hard to replace you. Thus, you will only be hurting yourselves.

I'm sorry, I love what the front line CM's do for the park and the entire Disney experience, but a strike will do no good...

brainpile3000

Me too. If they don't pay a living wage... find another job that does... Unions really really irritate me... They served a purpose once upon a time...but those days are past. Now they just try to paint everyoen with the same broad brush... those that work hard those that don't... Those that have aspirations and ambition in their jobs...and those that struggle to even reach the heights of mediocrity.

I believe in pay for performance... not guaranteed raises just given a span of time... Merit based pay for each individual beats massive contract negotiations that treat employees in bulk.

Very well said! :sohappy:

stitch131313

Stands and Claps!:sohappy:
Couldn't have put it better myself.

pax_65

a strike will do no good...

From a long-term operational standpoint, you might have a point (not sure I agree, though, because I think the quality of cast members is important and we would all feel the loss of the veterans.)

However a strike will have a serious public relations impact. Knowing how the media plays up any negative news about Disney, I would expect a strike at WDW would make the national news and give Disney some VERY negative media coverage. In addition, it would cause panic among Disney's customers who have trips planned during the busy Summer season. Some might cancel trips while others may not book trips they otherwise would have booked.

A strike definitely has the potential to hurt business at WDW. So hopefully Disney does what it needs to do to take care of its employees and prevent a strike.

TomDisney

Silly Unions, you need to take an economics class to realize the ramifications of your actions. If you strike, it will not be hard to replace you. Thus, you will only be hurting yourselves.

I'm sorry, I love what the front line CM's do for the park and the entire Disney experience, but a strike will do no good...

Don't be too sure about that. Disney is having a hard enough time trying to staff the parks and resorts right now. If the union was to strike, Disney would be under the gun, especially with the upcoming Fourth of July week coming up which is one of the busiest times of the entire year.

AEfx

Me too. If they don't pay a living wage... find another job that does...

Uh, that's the point.

People are, and Disney has been having continual staffing problems for years because of their low wages and the fact that people can make more doing less elsewhere.

So you got your wish - but remember, they can only go through so many Orlando area employees before we REALLY see a shortage, and then we can be like Disneyland has been during their staffing problems and play a "guess which counter service restaurant is closed today because they simply didn't have the staff to open it".

Now, this isn't directed at you specifically (sorry, don't recognize your name enough to know if it is true), but It's funny to see people expressing generic hate of unions, as many of them are the same ones who complain about the quality of CM at WDW these days. It's not a complex equation. One leads to the other.

AEfx

brainpile3000

Don't be too sure about that. Disney is having a hard enough time trying to staff the parks and resorts right now. If the union was to strike, Disney would be under the gun, especially with the upcoming Fourth of July week coming up which is one of the busiest times of the entire year.

If this is the case, then why wouldn't Disney just raise the wages paid to employees/recruits? Well, if someone making the decisions at Disney has looked at an econ book in the last 100 years, its because they can afford to pay less because their jobs are in high demand. Thus, if people leave because they are unhappy because of wages, they will be able to hire in new people rather quickly at the same wage. That would be my only logical explanation to it. They aren't being greedy, they aren't paying middle management for nothing, they are just doing good business.

And if they really treated their employees poorly, don't you think a company like Disney would be catching lots of heat from labor groups (like Nike and Wal-Mart do) about this?

Again, this is purely from a theoretical stand point as they teach you nothing but theory in school and forget about the 'real world' stuff.

Coasterbp

Am I missing something? Who is holding a gun to their head and making them work there? If you don't like it, leave!

And a lot of people will be. And thats the sad part. Because when you have people that WANT to do a good job, and be paid FAIRLY for it, you will get better service. When you pay unfair wages to someone that just needs a job, you are going to get the service that seems to getting more and more noticed around WDW property within the last couple of years. And people like you, who are trying to have a good time with bad service will also be the first ones to complain about your bad service, when you just told everyone to leave their job. So you don't want to hear the complaints from us, but you'll complain when your service is less than what it should be....?

AEfx

And a lot of people will be. And thats the sad part. Because when you have people that WANT to do a good job, and be paid FAIRLY for it, you will get better service. When you pay unfair wages to someone that just needs a job, you are going to get the service that seems to getting more and more noticed around WDW property within the last couple of years. And people like you, who are trying to have a good time with bad service will also be the first ones to complain about your bad service, when you just told everyone to leave their job. So you don't want to hear the complaints from us, but you'll complain when your service is less than what it should be....?

Gosh, thank Goodness someone else can see this very simple equation.

This isn't about academic theory, this isn't about your personal feelings about unions.

This is about the fact that universally (no pun intended) WDW veterans complain CONSTANTLY about the decline in the quality of the average CM. Now, some of that can be chalked up to nostalgia (i.e., was it really as good as you remember?), but the fact that they have had to rely so heavily on the sub-minimum wage (after you take out their housing, etc.) CP'ers is no doubt true. They recruit these kids saying, "Hey, come intern at Disney!" when there is almost no educational component and basically they want you to come and flip burgers or clean up trash for a semester. Lucky ones get to work in attractions.

Yet these same people don't want Disney to pay people a decent wage, so they can retain the people that truly do want to work there but can't work for teenager wages.

/sigh

Don't you just love this country sometimes?

AEfx

Enderikari

Let's see, every time there is a union vote, most of the same things are repeated over and over again... Let me sum up my opinion...

If you don't like your job, get another one...

If you love your job, but don't feel you are getting paid enough to do it, make some tough decisions regarding whether or not you are willing to continue working for the money you have agreed to work for, versus the quality of life you want to live.

If you love you job and make enough money to enjoy the other bits of your life, perfect.

Unions are nothing more than legalized extortion (You give us this, or otherwise we do this)

Furthermore, its been my experience that unions force Disney to rehire folks who REALLY deserved to be let go

That being said, I would have a lot more respect for the unions at WDW if they did strike... At least they would be upholding their own mis-guided principles (I know, counter-intuitive, right?)

Don't be so quick to think that Disney could replace the striking workers so easily, unemployment in the Orlando area is less than 3%, every one who wants a job has a job, and Disney has been having problems with regular hiring, much less any emergency hiring the strike would require... there would be a lot of cast members on a lot of forced overtime (and still some services would be inoperative) if a strike occurred.

But, in response to the union trying to get a living wage? Pushing a button at its a small world is NOT a career. You cannot raise a family on something as unskilled as MOST front line jobs at Disney, nor are you supposed to. Want to earn a good wage and support families? Then move up, work hard, get an education, apply for other areas... Disney almost exclusively hires from the bottom up, if you don't like what your paid, take some personal responsibility and do something about it

majortom1981

Let's see, every time there is a union vote, most of the same things are repeated over and over again... Let me sum up my opinion...

If you don't like your job, get another one...

If you love your job, but don't feel you are getting paid enough to do it, make some tough decisions regarding whether or not you are willing to continue working for the money you have agreed to work for, versus the quality of life you want to live.

If you love you job and make enough money to enjoy the other bits of your life, perfect.

Unions are nothing more than legalized extortion (You give us this, or otherwise we do this)

Furthermore, its been my experience that unions force Disney to rehire folks who REALLY deserved to be let go

That being said, I would have a lot more respect for the unions at WDW if they did strike... At least they would be upholding their own mis-guided principles (I know, counter-intuitive, right?)

Don't be so quick to think that Disney could replace the striking workers so easily, unemployment in the Orlando area is less than 3%, every one who wants a job has a job, and Disney has been having problems with regular hiring, much less any emergency hiring the strike would require... there would be a lot of cast members on a lot of forced overtime (and still some services would be inoperative) if a strike occurred.

But, in response to the union trying to get a living wage? Pushing a button at its a small world is NOT a career. You cannot raise a family on something as unskilled as MOST front line jobs at Disney, nor are you supposed to. Want to earn a good wage and support families? Then move up, work hard, get an education, apply for other areas... Disney almost exclusively hires from the bottom up, if you don't like what your paid, take some personal responsibility and do something about it

One problem with that. Disney has been outsourcing more and more so you really cant work your way up that much anymore.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
but the fact that they have had to rely so heavily on the sub-minimum wage (after you take out their housing, etc.) CP'ers is no doubt true.....

AEfx

:shrug: I make less than minimum wage when you take out my house payment, insurance, cost of living, gas, etc. :shrug:

By law you are not entitled to make minimum wage after you have paid your bills every month. Would be nice, but its not the law or reasonable.

brainpile3000

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Enderikari

One problem with that. Disney has been outsourcing more and more so you really cant work your way up that much anymore.

Ahhh... outsourcing... The ultimate red herring... Can you tell me the two areas that have really been outsourced, including their management positions? Every cries out "OUTSOURCING" because they are looking to blame others for their own problems (See personal responsibility, above)...
Fact - No theme park job has been given over to outsourcing
Fact - Everyone who was working in an outsourced job was offered a job at another Disney location (the whole point of outsourcing bell services and resort third shift custodial was to free up those cast members for other jobs around WDW)

So, how does outsourcing affect upward mobility?

AEfx

:shrug: I make less than minimum wage when you take out my house payment, insurance, cost of living, gas, etc. :shrug:

By law you are not entitled to make minimum wage after you have paid your bills every month. Would be nice, but its not the law or reasonable.

Um, I never said any such thing. Perhaps you didn't understand me.

Disney pays the CPers just about base minimum wage. However, you NEVER SEE THAT because Disney automatically deducts your dorm fee from it. When I was offered a position there years ago, it worked out to something like $3.50 an hour after they took just that housing fee out.

I would have barely been able to eat on that, let alone get gas or other necessities. That's why so many of these kids, who were sold on the "Disney experience!" didn't realize that their semester or summer at Disney was going to be doing the crappiest jobs imaginable and making absolute crap. That's why so many of them have such horrible attitudes. It's simply a way for Disney to get super-cheap labor.

So I never said "by law" they should get anything. What I did say is that that situation leads to employees with crappy attitudes, and each and every year Disney relies more and more on them because they can't attract enough real employees.

Right, wrong, principle, sminciple...it's so simple it gives me a headache, LOL. Pay crap = get crap service. Why do people think that "you get what you pay for" doesn't apply to employees, just like it does anything else?

AEfx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom