Cast member block-outs from DHS has been extended

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
This isn’t WalMart, this is Disney and Disney is held to standard that Walt set, take care of your cast and they take care of your guests.

Setting aside Guest experience with cast members being knowledgeable or not, it’s about taking care of the people who work for you. When you tout benefits and then take them away, the people become disengaged. This is only the latest in a lloonnggg line of changes that have been going on since I started following the company in 2004 and I’m sure started before that in the Eisner years.

Do ya not think the well documented ongoing degrading of guest service stems from these sorts of things?
I get that it’s a new attraction and it has challenges. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a way to handle it. It’s not like all 80k cast r gonna show up at once.
There are ways to make it work. They just aren’t trying because they quite frankly don’t care enough to do so.

Josh Hendy

How often in the recent past ... say 20 years ... have rides opened without cast member previews and without unpublicized soft opening i.e. beta testing? It seems like things were unduly rushed on DHS's RotR. Not necessarily from an employee relations point of view, but from the point of view of being greedy enough to skip normal procedures.

plutofan15

This isn’t WalMart, this is Disney and Disney is held to standard that Walt set, take care of your cast and they take care of your guests.

Setting aside Guest experience with cast members being knowledgeable or not, it’s about taking care of the people who work for you. When you tout benefits and then take them away, the people become disengaged. This is only the latest in a lloonnggg line of changes that have been going on since I started following the company in 2004 and I’m sure started before that in the Eisner years.

Do ya not think the well documented ongoing degrading of guest service stems from these sorts of things?
I get that it’s a new attraction and it has challenges. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a way to handle it. It’s not like all 80k cast r gonna show up at once.
There are ways to make it work. They just aren’t trying because they quite frankly don’t care enough to do so.
Disney perks and benefits to their employees have been and continue to be much better than the vast majority of the companies out there.

plutofan15

But you see the difference between being provided a top-of-the-line device to use full-time and being offered a one-time ride on a brand new attraction, right? A closer parallel would be if you were offered the chance to play with the phone for an hour somewhere shortly after release to get a sense of it, which is much more financially reasonable than providing many people a new device for full-time use.

You seem to agree that customer service would have been positively impacted by being given the chance to understand the product, and Disney makes a regular habit of doing that with their cast members for that very purpose. It doesn't hurt that the product is fun and therefore feels like a perk or a thank you to their employees. Cast Member Previews serve the Guest experience as much as the CM one. Short of that, since it seems we must fall short of that, giving CM's at least SOME window of time to try to access the ride seems like a logical Plan B. Instead they just keep pushing them out further.

Let me also clarify that I'm not a cast member and have been on Rise of the Resistance 3 times already. I have no horse in this race, I just recognize that this isn't great practice for the kind of business Disney does at this park and I think they should try to do better by the CM's in the name of the Guests.
There is a difference between setting aside time for cast members to experience the attraction and the general complaint of the park being blacked out. But where do you draw the line for the cast members to experience the attraction? Is it limited to the employees of Hollywood Studios? Or is open to cast members of all four parks? How about the cast members at the hotels? The cast members working transportation? The Disney Springs members? The facilities and central shop? But wait, shouldn't the cast members at Vero Beach have a chance? How about the cast members who work in other parts of the country, shouldn't they be given time to experience it as well? And when does this cast member time take place? Trying set aside a time for cast members working at 24/7 365 resort will surely leave some being unable. I get it. It sure would be great for all cast members to be able to experience the attraction but no matter what decision is made, there will be those who complain. And besides, I truly believe that the guest experience is not diminished because not all cast members have experienced the attraction. The black out is an unfortunate by product of a very popular attraction. This simply my opinion, and you have yours. To each their own.

yensidtlaw1969

There is a difference between setting aside time for cast members to experience the attraction and the general complaint of the park being blacked out. But where do you draw the line for the cast members to experience the attraction? Is it limited to the employees of Hollywood Studios? Or is open to cast members of all four parks? How about the cast members at the hotels? The cast members working transportation? The Disney Springs members? The facilities and central shop? But wait, shouldn't the cast members at Vero Beach have a chance? How about the cast members who work in other parts of the country, shouldn't they be given time to experience it as well? And when does this cast member time take place? Trying set aside a time for cast members working at 24/7 365 resort will surely leave some being unable. I get it. It sure would be great for all cast members to be able to experience the attraction but no matter what decision is made, there will be those who complain. And besides, I truly believe that the guest experience is not diminished because not all cast members have experienced the attraction. The black out is an unfortunate by product of a very popular attraction. This simply my opinion, and you have yours. To each their own.
I mean I literally suggested the line be drawn at Cast on the front lines at DHS, but go off, I guess.

Brer Oswald

The issue is definitely with CPs, where the program is incentivized by the amazing experience, and not the money you make. Your really, really don’t make much of a profit with all the fees required, which is fine, until you’re only getting 3/4ths of the experience. But I digress, Cast Previews after hours for the new rides when they aren’t undergoing nightly updates is probably the best way to go. That, or just straight up blocking the feature to book a boarding group with an MEP.

Kamikaze

If that was the case then CM’s could enter the park but not be able to ride rise. Which many have argued should be the case.

There is no system in place to prevent this from happening. The only similar system is Epcot's after 4 ticket, but that would require Disney to create a new CM only ticket for DHS which is say 'after 10'. And distribute it. They aren't going to do that. Disney doesn't have a ticket which doesn't include all the rides in the park as an option to offer the CMs. There is nothing in place if the CM main gate was to be available for the park to limit them from riding Rise.

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

There is no system in place to prevent this from happening. The only similar system is Epcot's after 4 ticket, but that would require Disney to create a new CM only ticket for DHS which is say 'after 10'. And distribute it. They aren't going to do that. Disney doesn't have a ticket which doesn't include all the rides in the park as an option to offer the CMs. There is nothing in place if the CM main gate was to be available for the park to limit them from riding Rise.
It’s rather simple. Program a feature into the app where you can’t book a boarding group with a MEP. FastPasses And Boarding Groups are already tied to tickets, aren’t they?

rreading

This is a message board, which begs input from different perspectives for the sake of conversation. As such, this is a reasonable conversation.

However - the paying public is hoping to get to ride Rise. Most of them aren’t going to be able to. Not because they didn’t want to, but because it takes a real effort at this point to be able this ride. The fact that there is an ongoing thread about if the ride is seating its promised capacity all of which were meted out in the first 5?-30? minutes the park is open is insane. We are going in May and my wife is not willing to make that kind of commitment. I’m sure that she is not the only one. My children and I are going to be there (having to take a cab to get there? Really?!) but it sounds like a real pain in the a**.

The CM can pay for a ticket like anyone else if the *really* want to ride. It seems amazing to me that someone on site wouldn’t be able to squeeze on here or there but capacity is capacity and if there are no vacant seats, then....

It’s certainly a remarkable situation, but it is also similarly so from the guest’s side as well.

Kamikaze

The CM can pay for a ticket like anyone else if the *really* want to ride. It seems amazing to me that someone on site wouldn’t be able to squeeze on here or there but capacity is capacity and if there are no vacant seats, then....

They have comp tickets that are not completely blocked. No reason to pay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom