Cast member block-outs from DHS has been extended

MrConbon

Idiotic is expecting a CM to be knowledgeable about almost everything in the park. Or to even give a good answer. What if the CM hated the new Mickey Shorts version of MM. Should a CM working at Epcot who hates that ride for that reason be able to give me good advice of whether it's worth my time to get in line for it? What are they to say? If I'm a parent with children, should a childless 20-something be able to tell me what attractions are suitable for my children of various ages? What if the CM doesn't like thrill rides and so has never been on ToT? And let's not forget the meme, which has some basis in reality, that CMs are notorious for giving out wrong information, even if they haven't been blocked out.

The presumption is that any are all CMs should be like this online forum with being able to spit out at a moment's notice information about almost everything WDW has to offer. That's idiotic.

CMs I've talked to have been honest about what they have and haven't experienced. I've never run to Guest Relations complaining that a CM didn't know about X. That would be idiotic.

"The CMs must know!" is just a poor rationalization born of disappointment of being blacked out. And that's idiotic.

Did you miss my statement that I literally just posted saying that cast members don’t need to be knowledgeable about every facet of the resort?

I work in attractions and one of the most common things we do is compare our ride to other rides. Guests constantly come up to us and say things like, “I enjoyed ride A but disliked ride B. Would you think I would enjoy this?” And then would say something like, “ride A is similar to this ride because of such and such but we are also similar to ride B becasue...” For a Disney example I can easily see a guest talking to a CM at Pirates saying that they disliked the drop on Rise and if the Pirates drop is similar.

Maybe the stigma that CM’s are notorious for giving wrong info would be solved if they were able to get the info by, I don’t know, maybe by being able to go to the park. A CM not riding ToT because they dislike thrill rides is different than not having the ability to go on at all.

Brer Oswald

Do brand new CM get a week of experiencing all that WDW has to offer so that a CM working the queue at Toy Story Mania can answer a question about what animals are available in the walking trails at DAK?
I have a lot of respect for you, but this is kind of obnoxious. I’m sorry I’m not privileged enough to be an AP holder that comes done to WDW at least twice a year. Guests will ask about the most popular attraction on the resort, regardless of where you are.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have a lot of respect for you, but this is kind of obnoxious. I’m sorry I’m not privileged enough to be an AP holder that comes done to WDW at least twice a year. Guests will ask about the most popular attraction on the resort, regardless of where you are.

And it's OK to not know.

Brer Oswald

Letting CM's into DHS after noon or 4:00 PM seems perfectly reasonable. Not knowing about the newest ride is one thing but not knowing an entire 1/4th of the theme parks is another.
Its three new rides since my last trip. For many going, it’s either the same, or more. I understand why the park is blocked out. It makes a degree of sense. But for many families, the new additions to this park are why they are going. I think a singular ride on Rise, maybe during an after hours event, really isn’t that insane to ask. I’m sure I’ll have plenty of time to go to DHS in my life and re-ride these great attractions. That isn’t what this is about.

yensidtlaw1969

Do brand new CM get a week of experiencing all that WDW has to offer so that a CM working the queue at Toy Story Mania can answer a question about what animals are available in the walking trails at DAK?
Don't be obtuse. Rise is the biggest attraction to open on American soil in 20 years and it's reasonable that Cast Members should have some access to be able to impart meaningful information to guests.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Yes, knowledgeable about the parks does not mean they should know the in and out of every ride, restaurant and bathroom at the parks. Confused on how you jumped the shark on that one.

Then we agree. It's no big deal if CMs don't have current knowledge of DHS and the new SW rides for a temporary time.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Don't be obtuse. Rise is the biggest attraction to open on American soil in 20 years and it's reasonable that Cast Members should have some access to be able to impart meaningful information to guests.

No. It's not reasonable. It's totally understandable if a CM were to say to me, "Haven't ridden on it yet. The ride wasn't ready for Cast Member previews and we'll get to ride it later when the initial crowds die down."

yensidtlaw1969

And it's OK to not know.
The problem is when MOST CM's don't know the guests are left in the dark.

The only Cast Members I had any help from with regards to Rise are the ones who actually work at it.

How many front gate CM's get asked about Rise while the massive hordes line up at rope drop? And they know nothing? Most of those people should have had at least one chance to ride.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Letting CM's into DHS after noon or 4:00 PM seems perfectly reasonable. Not knowing about the newest ride is one thing but not knowing an entire 1/4th of the theme parks is another.

And they all just got a day in DHS for the MMRR. So, what don't they know right now?

MrConbon

Then we agree. It's no big deal if CMs don't have current knowledge of DHS and the new SW rides for a temporary time.

What? No, I would expect a cast member to be have some knowledge of AN ENTIRE PARK. I don’t know why you can’t see the difference between Victoria & Alberts, the Animal trail at DAK and the entire theme park with the brand new rides and lands that most guests are unfamiliar with.

The people on this term of the college program don’t even get to go to Hollywood Studios for their entire program. It’s so upsetting for them.

Brer Oswald

No. It's not reasonable. It's totally understandable if a CM were to say to me, "Haven't ridden on it yet. The ride wasn't ready for Cast Member previews and we'll get to ride it later when the initial crowds die down."
It’s not reasonable to have a handful of after hours rides spread through the course of the year? If that’s the case, is it safe to say this ride opened 12 months too early?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The problem is when MOST CM's don't know the guests are left in the dark.

The only Cast Members I had any help from with regards to Rise are the ones who actually work at it.

How many front gate CM's get asked about Rise while the massive hordes line up at rope drop? And they know nothing? Most of those people should have had at least one chance to ride.

And this is where you're being obtuse. If WDW is having issues getting paying guests onto RotR, when were they supposed to let all the CMs on?

MrConbon

It’s not reasonable for a CM who works in attractions at Hollywood Studios to have the opportunity to ride the new biggest attraction at Hollywood Studios...um alright there bud.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom