Cash-Strapped Disney

BigThunderMatt

Well, partially it's because they announced the damn thing, so they've gotta do it.

Since when has that changed anything? Maybe on my next visit to WDW I'll have a couple of drinks at the Hyperion Wharf before stopping back at my room at the Asian Resort to change for dinner and a late night visit to MK to ride the Western River Expedition.

On a serious note, I'm all for the Splash Mountain retheme, but Disney has proven multiple times that until guests are actually experiencing it in person, nothing is set in stone.

rreading

There was a concern that the Splash Mountain petition could turn into a Disney+ boycott since that's really only thing that could have been boycotted. They're quick to panic over protecting streaming.

This completely makes sense. Given the current finances, I doubt that there's progress made on this. Once life settles down, we may find that the coast in which the change makes sense (DL where the conversion fits perfectly) occurs and the changeover at WDW just keeps getting pushed.

Especially since Tokyo isn't changing either (which supports that it's not racist - since someone objective doesn't think so)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They can move 'seasons' around to sort of discount tickets while not actually discounting anything.
I don’t know who they’re targeting that will fall for that...but maybe?

I had just heard that Iger - who clearly has executed a retirement strategy since about 2017 - had decreed that there will be NO discounting for “the 50th”.

It’s his final conquest: he’s complained about non-retail price discounts for a decade and this was the mountain to conquer...
Nothing says “our stocks should be higher” like gouging people at hyper inflated full price.

But then the gods Stepped in. He retired in a hurry at 4:35 EST...then came to play savior.

Who the hell knows now? But it’s all about the stock options.
Bob 3:16

Brer Oswald

I don’t know who they’re targeting that will fall for that...but maybe?

I had just heard that Iger - who clearly has executed a retirement strategy since about 2017 - had decreed that there will be NO discounting for “the 50th”.

It’s his final conquest: he’s complained about non-retail price discounts for a decade and this was the mountain to conquer...
Nothing says “our stocks should be higher” like gouging people at hyper inflated full price.

But then the gods Stepped in. He retired in a hurry at 4:35 EST...then came to play savior.

Who the hell knows now? But it’s all about the stock options.
Bob 3:16
He comes to play saviour every time, and people buy into it every time. But wasn’t Chapek the one with the safer and more cautious strategy for reopening? If they have to close again, who will get blamed? Not Iger, our lord and saviour. 🙏🙏🙏

I’m not a Chapek fan, and I don’t hate Iger, but I really don’t like how raw of a deal Chapek’s gotten.

Kamikaze

He comes to play saviour every time, and people buy into it every time. But wasn’t Chapek the one with the safer and more cautious strategy for reopening? If they have to close again, who will get blamed? Not Iger, our lord and saviour. 🙏🙏🙏

I’m not a Chapek fan, and I don’t hate Iger, but I really don’t like how raw of a deal Chapek’s gotten.

Did you ... did you miss all the other projects Chapek cut to shreds? He's not getting any raw deal. He's reaping what he sowed.

I haven't seen anything about rumored strategies from different people so I can't comment on that, but the only other real strategy is to stay closed. I can't see money-hungry Chapek being behind that ever.

Mousse'

- Any thoughts about a savior white knight swooping in with a huge hands-off cash infusion?

- And if they are forced to close WDW again, maybe the Feds via economic aid to Florida would do something through the guise bailing out such a huge employer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kamikaze

- Any thoughts about a savior white knight swooping in with a huge hands-off cash infusion? (Maybe Google would like and be able to use the place a huge petri dish on human behavior?)

- And if they are forced to close WDW again, maybe the Feds via economic aid to Florida would do something through the guise bailing out such a huge employer?

1) No
2) It wouldn't be a guise, tourism IS Central Florida, (most of Florida, really). Besides the Disney CMs, tons of other jobs are reliant on Disney doing business. But I don't see any funds getting explicitly earmarked for Disney.

Lilofan

Did you ... did you miss all the other projects Chapek cut to shreds? He's not getting any raw deal. He's reaping what he sowed.

I haven't seen anything about rumored strategies from different people so I can't comment on that, but the only other real strategy is to stay closed. I can't see money-hungry Chapek being behind that ever.
Chapek, 27 years with TWDC, current CEO salary $2.5 mil/ $7.5 mil additional if he achieves performance targets set by the Disney Board, not even including his stock options worth millions, even though he took a 50% pay cut in salary, he is not hurting financially. If he leaves or is forced out his parachute will be golden.

Kamikaze

Chapek, 27 years with TWDC, current CEO salary $2.5 mil/ $7.5 mil additional if he achieves performance targets set by the Disney Board, even though he took a 50% pay cut in salary, he is not hurting financially and if he leaves or is forced out his parachute will be golden.

Not exactly sure what your point is. I know Bobby C will be fine. I was just replying to @Brer Oswald's statement that he was getting a 'raw deal' from fans/commenters. That has nothing to do with his finances.

Mainahman

If you've seen videos of him in the parks, he's just awkward and actually kind of creepy around people.
Exactly! My wife through the whole shutdown, was why isnt he talking to us? Why have we heard from no one at all... IF it was Walt, or heck Eisner, there would of been several Wonderful World of Disney episodes on what was being done to prepare the parks, to keep us safe, and to help us know everything was going to be ok etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom