Cash-Strapped Disney

Kamikaze

There’s still a lot of disagreement on this...100% by those that have been wrong since 3/15.

But I don’t see how that wasn’t the play? Soft opening in the fall to counter the school calendars...ramp up into holidays...charge the masses 2021. 2020 is a write off.

But somebody’s forgot to send the newsletter to COVID and it’s not cooperating

Sept reopen was what they had in writing in their 'playbook'. Whoever is disagreeing is wrong.

Edit: Just so we're clear, this was after the first 'delay'. They originally really did hope that it would quickly blow over and they could open in only a few weeks from the initial closure. When that clearly was no longer the case, they created a plan for September. I believe insiders have reported the same thing.

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Exactly! My wife through the whole shutdown, was why isnt he talking to us? Why have we heard from no one at all... IF it was Walt, or heck Eisner, there would of been several Wonderful World of Disney episodes on what was being done to prepare the parks, to keep us safe, and to help us know everything was going to be ok etc.

Walt wouldn't let the parks open until this was over. I would bet my life on it.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
So the fact we have record hospitalizations for Covid (increasing) and deaths are a lagging indicator (by about 2 weeks) the doctors have learned how to keep patients out of ICU and the age is skewing younger so they don't need ICU care if in hospital means all is fine.

OK, I can't believe there is no one that can foresee the future at WDW.

Glad I know more than all of them, I want their money now.

If deaths begin rising substantially, it would shut down WDW despite incredible costs to the company. That said, it just doesn't appear likely given the mortality rate in Florida for COVID patients. However, if hospital capacity is crunched in southern Florida, you could see that tick upwards. An expert who is part of a consultation group with Disney is positing that the rise of cases in more southern states (AZ, TX, FL) is likely due to people seeking refugee in air conditioning where the virus thrives. Part of that calculus is that TN is similar to FL in its politics (southern conservative state but not deep south culture) with nearly identical measures but not experiencing the same upticks. TN has had a mild summer, just really going through a heatwave, so they're watching that state closely to judge the A/C theory.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If deaths begin rising substantially, it would shut down WDW despite incredible costs to the company. That said, it just doesn't appear likely given the mortality rate in Florida for COVID patients. However, if hospital capacity is crunched in southern Florida, you could see that tick upwards. An expert who is part of a consultation group with Disney is positing that the rise of cases in more southern states (AZ, TX, FL) is likely due to people seeking refugee in air conditioning where the virus thrives. Part of that calculus is that TN is similar to FL in its politics (southern conservative state but not deep south culture) with nearly identical measures but not experiencing the same upticks. TN has had a mild summer, just really going through a heatwave, so they're watching that state closely to judge the A/C theory.
You can make absolutely no valid predictions on how and what will determine the “calculus”

Like it or not...we are early in this game.

I can’t make any predictions either other than travel is in trouble as it stands

Kamikaze

Disagree...

Walt needed money to do things, was right wing (that’s a fact...not a debate), and wasn’t much of a “saver”

Walt also valued 'Show' above pretty much everything else. And this is, without a doubt, terrible show. His park was supposed to be a place to leave the cares of the outside world behind, and you can't do that when you're wearing a mask and social distancing.

He wasn't much of a saver, but he also really only cared about money to fund his other projects. He didn't want to keep it or worry about raising stock prices. He could be ruthless and a businessman at times as well. But he wasn't motivated by money. He just knew it was something he needed to do what he wanted.

And without a doubt he was right wing. But is this Walt Disney's America? (Not referring to the theme park) Or any cheap facsimile thereof? Walt loved the American ideal. And we aren't there right now for a lot of reasons.

But thats a different topic altogether. I'd have tons more to say but not a lot of it fits here.

Kamikaze

You can make absolutely no valid predictions on how and what will determine the “calculus”

Like it or not...we are early in this game.

I can’t make any predictions either other than travel is in trouble as it stands

If we got to that point, Florida would issue a mask mandate before it even considered shutting down again.

We do have enough information to know that even terrible masks - when worn by everyone - limit the transmission to below 1.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Walt also valued 'Show' above pretty much everything else. And this is, without a doubt, terrible show. His park was supposed to be a place to leave the cares of the outside world behind, and you can't do that when you're wearing a mask and social distancing.

He wasn't much of a saver, but he also really only cared about money to fund his other projects. He didn't want to keep it or worry about raising stock prices. He could be ruthless and a businessman at times as well. But he wasn't motivated by money. He just knew it was something he needed to do what he wanted.

And without a doubt he was right wing. But is this Walt Disney's America? (Not referring to the theme park) Or any cheap facsimile thereof? Walt loved the American ideal. And we aren't there right now for a lot of reasons.

But thats a different topic altogether. I'd have tons more to say but not a lot of it fits here.
That’s funny...the podcasters/vloggers have “gotten the message” and said it’s the “safest, most comforting environment ever”

Even the “disgruntled” one who is featured on another rival site. They played clips of the podcaster on the news these past few days.

Kamikaze

That’s funny...the podcasters/vloggers have “gotten the message” and said it’s the “safest, most comforting environment ever”

Even the “disgruntled” one who is featured on another rival site. They played clips of the podcaster on the news these past few days.

I only watch DLR stuff, but one of them was at WDW this week. It certainly seems surreal, and its probably safer than most of the businesses in the country, but that doesn't mean its not breaking 'show' 100% of the time.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Florida will issue a mask mandate long before it shuts down again. A mask mandate limits the transmission enough that it would allow almost all businesses to continue to operate even if things get even worse.
The problem with Florida is it exists on the dollars of those “pesky” people from the Atlantic seaboard, Europe, Canada and the rust belt in extremely high numbers.

I think cruise ships could provide a more attractive option than parks...and they aren’t included to lift a finger at all. Riding out the storm.

Travel is a “deal” between two parties...it has to work for both. Not a gas station or a McDonald’s point of sale.

If I open a store...and nobody walks through the door...I close again whether I want to or not.

I’m just pointing out the dynamics...sorry if it’s “preachy”

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom