Cash-Strapped Disney

Mainahman

@WDW Pro You mentioned not being able to ramp up as quickly as they want with all of this. Any idea what that means? Were arriving on the 9th of august. Could we still see pretty low crowds and potential walk ons to many attractions? Not going to lie, that is exciting to me. Weve been there many years in august and sept, and been just about pulled down mainstreet by an angry mob of karens when we try to get a photo.

Haymarket2008

I seem to recall hearing the CoP has been viewed as the legacy attraction it is, and will not be removed. Suddenly this isn’t the case? Not sure if I buy that. I wouldn’t be surprised, but I don’t really buy it.

JoeCamel

As a new member to this blog, forgive my ignorance but what does OLC stand for?
If ever you wonder what an abbreviation means @MisterPenguin maintains a list here

WDW Pro

Original Poster
It has been hard to keep up with everything right now since there is so much going on. I can’t remember at the moment if you mentioned if JC was receiving any changes or not, in regards to the headhunter scene. Is JC one of the attractions being looked at for changes as well? Just curious.

Jungle Cruise was already under review before the new committee came along. It was planned to receive some changes in line with the new film, which was a joint collaboration between WDI and Davis Entertainment. Those changes were small and have been pushed to 2021, though they may be cancelled altogether. However, that situation is what has spared JC from being reviewed in the current sweep.

@WDW Pro You mentioned not being able to ramp up as quickly as they want with all of this. Any idea what that means? Were arriving on the 9th of august. Could we still see pretty low crowds and potential walk ons to many attractions? Not going to lie, that is exciting to me. Weve been there many years in august and sept, and been just about pulled down mainstreet by an angry mob of karens when we try to get a photo.

I can't imagine large crowds in that time frame. The combination of schools returning to session, combined with the uncertainty of the virus, and phased increases in capacity ceilings...

I seem to recall hearing the CoP has been viewed as the legacy attraction it is, and will not be removed. Suddenly this isn’t the case? Not sure if I buy that. I wouldn’t be surprised, but I don’t really buy it.

Mothball doesn't mean demoed. Things can and do change, but there's a significant push to move the attraction to seasonal, then leave it unopened. It has antiquated systems, it needs a makeover, it's low on the totem pole for attractions likely to receive cash, it's nearly impossible to disinfect, and it's been identified as problematic from an internal review committee looking at diversity and inclusive themes.

The "Pro"

Has anyone heard how this may involve or impact the Disney Cruise Line pertaining to the new ships or the development of Lighthouse Point?

DoleWhipDrea

Friendly reminder that the social and political debating for Splash needs to be discussed in the appropriate thread. Please don’t derail yet another thread with this. There’s a whole forum dedicated to this and in light of everything that’s happening that forum is fairly active.

I don’t understand the amount of viciousness directed at @WDW Pro - plans can always change for what Disney may or may not do, and this pandemic has arguably affected the company’s harder than any other time of turbulence (aside from Walt’s passing.) Have you seen what various governments have done to respond to this crisis? Most don’t know what to do, responses have been haphazard, and many people have lost their lives over it. Disney is trying to figure things out just like the rest of us, and they have a lot at stake. Iger was trying to finally retire (after trying to, what, for the third or fourth time?) and had the sense to realize that jumping ship when he was planning to was a bad idea for the company. Plans are gonna change. Budgets will be slashed. The world is rapidly changing and the company is trying to figure out how to properly stay afloat. IMHO, all of what they’re reporting from their sources makes sense.

How do these parks adapt with the times when there’s barely any money for it, but are necessary to update to remain relevant? That’s the quandry.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Finally on wetness, log flumes are not supposed to soak you only splash you, that way they can be enjoyed in normal clothing. The only other noticeable exception to that rule is Dudley, and it’s a knock against that ride too.
Well its a good thing the ride does not have the name "SPLASH" in it-oh wait it does. I don't think you understand why people go on water rides or why they are made. They are absolutely meant to wet and splash you a good amount

Last edited:

Touchdown

Well its a good thing the ride does not have the name "SPLASH" in it-oh wait it does. I don't you understand why people go on water rides or why they are made. They are absolutely meant to wet and splash you a good amount

There is a difference between getting splashed and getting soaked. The former gets my tshirt and head wet, I’ll be wet for a few hours and it feels nice, the latter will get my entire body drenched and ruin shoes. I personally never ride those rides without wearing a bathing suit and quick dry shoes, apparel that I do not enjoy wearing in a theme park (I’ll bring a change of clothes so I don’t need to wear them all day.) The only place you’re safe from getting drenched on DL is the back seat, but only one person can sit back there. There is a reason log flumes are the most popular water rides on an average day, the general public knows Chute the Chute and Raft rides almost always get you soaked, log flumes get you splashed. A far greater proportion of theme park goers are willing to get splashed then get drenched.

Homemade Imagineering

Jungle Cruise was already under review before the new committee came along. It was planned to receive some changes in line with the new film, which was a joint collaboration between WDI and Davis Entertainment. Those changes were small and have been pushed to 2021, though they may be cancelled altogether. However, that situation is what has spared JC from being reviewed in the current sweep.

I can't imagine large crowds in that time frame. The combination of schools returning to session, combined with the uncertainty of the virus, and phased increases in capacity ceilings...

Mothball doesn't mean demoed. Things can and do change, but there's a significant push to move the attraction to seasonal, then leave it unopened. It has antiquated systems, it needs a makeover, it's low on the totem pole for attractions likely to receive cash, it's nearly impossible to disinfect, and it's been identified as problematic from an internal review committee looking at diversity and inclusive themes.
Thanks for clarifying that for me. On a separate note regarding CBJ, I recall that on the country bears thread, Martin said that they haven’t considered Vacation Hoedown for CBJ as an overlay, since the current show is considered problematic, I guess that’s still the case, but why was it never proposed for WDW as a change to the show, while an entire rewrite is considered?

UNCgolf

It's been seasonal before, and then came back to full-time operation without anything changing. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened again.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom