Cash-Strapped Disney

Mainahman

Jungle Cruise was already under review before the new committee came along. It was planned to receive some changes in line with the new film, which was a joint collaboration between WDI and Davis Entertainment. Those changes were small and have been pushed to 2021, though they may be cancelled altogether. However, that situation is what has spared JC from being reviewed in the current sweep.

I can't imagine large crowds in that time frame. The combination of schools returning to session, combined with the uncertainty of the virus, and phased increases in capacity ceilings...

Mothball doesn't mean demoed. Things can and do change, but there's a significant push to move the attraction to seasonal, then leave it unopened. It has antiquated systems, it needs a makeover, it's low on the totem pole for attractions likely to receive cash, it's nearly impossible to disinfect, and it's been identified as problematic from an internal review committee looking at diversity and inclusive themes.
Thanks my friend! My neice and nephew are super excited to get to go finally and want to ride all the rides. Hoping we can actually do that for once.

EricsBiscuit

That is true, but the effect is the same (20% decreased capacity with 50% capacity reduction already built in).
It would still be a high capacity attraction, relative to the other attractions at this time. Disney needs the capacity to sell more tickets. It doesn’t matter if people actually ride it or not if it being open enables Disney to raise their capacity faster. Right?

Mainahman

@WDW Pro couldn't they look to theme the CBJ to the country bears movie? I mean that might not of been "successful" but is cute and I didn't exactly.find it offensive, but kinda cool...

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

There is a difference between getting splashed and getting soaked. The former gets my tshirt and head wet, I’ll be wet for a few hours and it feels nice, the latter will get my entire body drenched and ruin shoes. I personally never ride those rides without wearing a bathing suit and quick dry shoes, apparel that I do not enjoy wearing in a theme park (I’ll bring a change of clothes so I don’t need to wear them all day.) The only place you’re safe from getting drenched on DL is the back seat, but only one person can sit back there. There is a reason log flumes are the most popular water rides on an average day, the general public knows Chute the Chute and Raft rides almost always get you soaked, log flumes get you splashed. A far greater proportion of theme park goers are willing to get splashed then get drenched.
Allow me to respond by posting another fine quote by a fellow poster that I feel has a well thought out counter argument:
Maybe I am biased (I'm sure I am) but I never liked either the WDW or Tokyo version of Splash. In fact I would even rate the Tokyo version slightly better than WDW's ... just because it's in Tokyo. Both versions though, destroy the fundamental fun that a log flume attraction is supposed to create (being close to the water, moving fast, feeling out of control). Seriously, that weird mandate that story is supposed to trump all other aspects of an attraction is something that ruined WDI a LONG time ago and directly attributable to Baxter and Sklar.

The log ride at Knott's is better than WDW's Splash Mountain.

Touchdown

See again I don’t feel out of control on DL Splash I feel like I’m in a janky log flume designed for a shorter lighter boat because I’m nearly constantly riding on the wheels, and because the log is too heavy waves literally crash into the boat from the sides on every drop.

The early Arrow concrete chutes managed to keep you off the wheels and floating except on turns (for only a brief moment) and the lifts/drops. DL splash if I’m in boat with all adults we ride on the wheels nearly the entire chute. The ride succeeds despite this set back; I find it interesting you consider it a plus.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
It would still be a high capacity attraction, relative to the other attractions at this time. Disney needs the capacity to sell more tickets. It doesn’t matter if people actually ride it or not if it being open enables Disney to raise their capacity faster. Right?

I mean, they'd have to quadruple attendance for CoP crowd munching to be important.

@WDW Pro couldn't they look to theme the CBJ to the country bears movie? I mean that might not of been "successful" but is cute and I didn't exactly.find it offensive, but kinda cool...

Beyond a wink and a nod, not sure that franchise is high priority for them.

Jrb1979

There is a difference between getting splashed and getting soaked. The former gets my tshirt and head wet, I’ll be wet for a few hours and it feels nice, the latter will get my entire body drenched and ruin shoes. I personally never ride those rides without wearing a bathing suit and quick dry shoes, apparel that I do not enjoy wearing in a theme park (I’ll bring a change of clothes so I don’t need to wear them all day.) The only place you’re safe from getting drenched on DL is the back seat, but only one person can sit back there. There is a reason log flumes are the most popular water rides on an average day, the general public knows Chute the Chute and Raft rides almost always get you soaked, log flumes get you splashed. A far greater proportion of theme park goers are willing to get splashed then get drenched.
I always wear sandals so I don't mind getting soaked. If you go on a water ride you should expect to get soaked.

Mainahman

I mean, they'd have to quadruple attendance for CoP crowd munching to be important.

Beyond a wink and a nod, not sure that franchise is high priority for them.
Makes sense. I just rather see them do that, than take away what's there today, but at least I'll get to do it next month..

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

Knotts
Mall of America
Dollywood
Splash of Florida
Splash of California

I’d say those are the best of the best and I haven’t gotten soaked on any of them. Dollywood is probably the most wet if you sit in the front.
if you have never been soaked on Knott's Timber Mountain or Splash Mountain at Disneyland you are not sitting in the correct seats. I have sat in the front on both many times and have been drenched.

wityblack

With all this talk of budget cuts and rushed ideas, and especially with not all of the scenes figured out, I can't imagine the Splash retheme isn't going to be a downgrade. I'm fine with the retheme in concept, but only if it surpasses or matches its predecessor. Disney has enormous pressure, but I honestly can't see how they meet that pressure. So is this all bad news for Splash? Is it going to feel like a cheap overlay? Or is there any way Disney will push every penny to make a top of the line E-Ticket for the 20th century?

TrainsOfDisney

With all this talk of budget cuts and rushed ideas, and especially with not all of the scenes figured out, I can't imagine the Splash retheme isn't going to be a downgrade. I'm fine with the retheme in concept, but only if it surpasses or matches its predecessor. Disney has enormous pressure, but I honestly can't see how they meet that pressure. So is this all bad news for Splash? Is it going to feel like a cheap overlay? Or is there any way Disney will push every penny to make a top of the line E-Ticket for the 20th century?

The original Splash Mountain featured a lot of AA’s from America Sings... placed so they felt like they belonged. If they took that same approach it wouldn’t take too much to keep the general feel of the current splash attraction just without the song of the south storyline.

If they gut the whole thing and try to tell the whole story ala little mermaid it will be terrible with a small budget. Even frozen you can tell where they ran out of money and just put up walls with snowflakes on them where there used to be a full AA scene of polar bears and puffins.

Brer Oswald

The original Splash Mountain featured a lot of AA’s from America Sings... placed so they felt like they belonged. If they took that same approach it wouldn’t take too much to keep the general feel of the current splash attraction just without the song of the south storyline.

If they gut the whole thing and try to tell the whole story ala little mermaid it will be terrible with a small budget. Even frozen you can tell where they ran out of money and just put up walls with snowflakes on them where there used to be a full AA scene of polar bears and puffins.
They picked an IP that doesn’t mesh well with the current AAs. They could just hand wave that (which would actually be preferable).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom