Cash or Credit/Debit Card?

muse1983

We have budgeted $1,200.00 towards souvenirs and food for our 7 Day WDW vacation (in 37 days btw!!:sohappy:). Last time we were in the World I just brought cash with me and found it to be a good way to organize spending. Each morning before heading to the parks we would figure up how much cash we would need to bring for food and spending that day and just store it in the zipper part of my lanyard. I was wondering though, how do you guys usually carry money in WDW and which method do you find easier to manage and budget how much you have?

I figured that 750 would be more than enough for food. We have 5 reservations and the rest are just going to be quick service meals (just my wife and I). But back to my original curiosity, do you guys prefer to bring Cash, Credit or Debit in the parks?

mickeysshoes

We tend to carry very little cash on us. (you do need some cash for some of the carts) What I like to do is give a CC when I check in so I can charge to my room and then every couple of days go down and apply cash to my room.

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

Key to doing this is knowing what the limit is so you dont go over. We learned the hard was on the Dream the limit is much less than on land and they charged my card before i got to them with the cash. So if you do this make sure to ask what the limit is and keep track so you go pay on the account before they charge you card.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I rarely have more than $100 in cash with me for a Disney trip. If you loose cash there is no recourse. I would just leave it in the checking account and use my check card or get a prepaid visa.

Upvote 0

sweetpee_1993

In the past we've charged to our room using our room keys then paid it with our credit or debit card. We've never allowed our kids charging priviledges. We prefer to not carry around additional cards so that works for us. We also bring cash just so we have cash, too. It's a mixture of both, really.

This year we budgeted $2500 for food. (family of 4 w/teens for 11 days, 1 sit-down per day) We bought $1800 in Disney gift cards from Sam's which we'll load onto the room charge and we plan to bring the rest in cash. Again, just so we have a mixture so we don't get caught without cash if we need it but not carry around that much cash either. Ya know? :wave:

Upvote 0

BigRedDad

When I go on a vacation, like Disney, I don't budget. I am on vacation to have fun. I do not go overboard, but I do not want to see what that fun is costing me until I get home. If I am over by a few hundred, I find a way to pay it off. The way I see it is that I only take 1 true vacation a year. I do not want it to be limited.

Upvote 0

rsoxguy

I usually carry enough cash for the allotted counter-service meals, and any small incidentals. Otherwise, a credit card that earns Disney dollars carries me through the rest of the trip. (I do, however, maintain the cash within my bank account necessary to pay off the charges. :cool:)

Upvote 0

popsicletrees

I usually always carry cash for my trips. I use that for snacks, counter service meals, and any purchases that I make. I keep the majority in the room safe and only take out about $50-75 per day. For dinner I will either pay cash or use my debit card. I find cash easier to carry rather than juggling bank cards with my husband. Plus, I can easily keep up with what I spend. Personally, I am much more likely to spend less on my trips if I have to hand over the cash.

Upvote 0

talonstruck

I only did debit card on our last trip. We had the dining plan so we didnt really need to worry about spending on food since it was paid for in advance. The only downside to using my debit was having to go to the atm to get cash to leave tips for room service and the magical express driver. I pretty much have gone away from carrying cash on me becuase I use to hit the vending machines at work and that was eating a hole in my wallet without me realizing it. Using the debit card at Disney gave me a better idea of what I was spending my money on and made it easier so I can plug it into a expense tracker program to give me a better idea what I need to budget for my next trip. I find this easier than trying to juggle reciepts especially since I have realtime banking.

Upvote 0

Tomi-Rocket

We charge on our room key and then pay by credit card at the end of the stay. I do think that this trip we should keep better track than we have in the past.

Upvote 0

coachwnh

cards are much safer, as stated earlier, if you lose your cash, you are out. if you lose your card, you are generally safe. its amazing how credit/debit services can help when you lose your card or its stolen. they often know before you realize its gone. i rarely carry cash in WDW or anywhere for that matter

Upvote 0
I always just use my Chase Disney Visa card....for everything at Disney or home. I charge everything to the room and everything goes against the Visa...and I get points/Disney dollars. I do pay it off every month so I have never paid the 13 percent interest I have on that Visa. One month, I had so many charges that I used my equity line of credit to pay it off rather than my writing a check from my checking account...and then I can deduct the equity interest of 3 percent on my taxes...But that rarely happens.

Using my Disney Visa for everything gets me some pretty hefty down payments on trips. I don't use the points/dollars for every trip, I save them up. My last trip....I was able to apply 540 dollars to my package as a payment. :sohappy: I am taking a trip in 2012 with my family and I'll have over 600 dollars to apply to that.

I really don't go overboard on souvenirs or anything anymore. My family is pretty saturated with Disney "stuff" so I really can not worry about spending too much so I am not freaked out at the end of the trip by my charges and final bill.

I do take some cash....just in case but usually only use it for tips. I usually have my housekeeping tips in envelopes for each day of my trip, have tips for bell services, luggage handlers at the airport, Tiffany Towncar drivers, etc. I try to have lot of fives and ones for those types of tips.

Upvote 0

CB2@disney

I always take Disney Gift Cards (you can use these everywhere) and $20-$30 in cash. Each DGC has it's own purpose. Example I have a Gift Card that is just for food. My son has a card for souveniers and so do I. We are doing the dining plan so I don't have to worry about that as much but I do have to worry about the tips... I make envelopes for each table service before we go and based on the menus I figure out what the tip will be and then I take that envelope with us that day and leave the rest in the safe. I also add money on a DGC in the months going into our visit and use that as the money at the resort... that way no-one has access to my personal accounts.

Upvote 0

markc

To each their own, however using/bring large amounts of cash is not a smart idea by any stretch of the imagination. As many have said - it can be lost or stolen without any recourse. Not implying that this has anything to do with the original poster, however If one is using cash as a way to physically limit their spending - then chances are they are not in a situation where they can also afford to lose it without getting it back.

Credit/Debit is the way to go, and even if your card is stolen, you are not held responsible for those charges, so there is no risk what-so-ever. Not to mention that if you have a points based card, you are essentially earning a 1% rebate back on that money.

Upvote 0

lbrad

ABSOLUTE ditto. This is EXACTLY what Sandy and I do... rack up points on the Disney VISA by paying for everything on one trip, pay off the card before we even get the bill, then use the discounts on the next trip. This is the one time I wish we still had a Mortgage - I would pay it every month with our Disney VISA, and pay THAT off every month, just for the points :).

I usually carry enough cash for the allotted counter-service meals, and any small incidentals. Otherwise, a credit card that earns Disney dollars carries me through the rest of the trip. (I do, however, maintain the cash within my bank account necessary to pay off the charges. :cool:)

I do the exact same thing ... CC Charge with Disney Visa and pay it off right away. Carry little cash for soda/ice cream/tips and such

Upvote 0

powlessfamily4

We have allotted $1,500 total for everything souvenirs, tips and mousekeeping. We always purchase a dining plan or end up with free dining so the food is taken care of. We keep minimal cash on hand for tips and mousekeeping. We keep the cash in the safe. I love POP! and that is usally where we stay.

I never use anything other then a CC for most of the purchases. Remember when your using the debit card, if it is compromised you will probably have to fight with your bank to get your money back and it could take 10 days or longer. It doesn't work like a credit card. Everyone should be aware of that. If you follow this link there is a great article by Clark Howard about it.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/cla...protect-yourself-if-you-use-debit-card/nC3Nz/

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We have allotted $1,500 total for everything souvenirs, tips and mousekeeping. We always purchase a dining plan or end up with free dining so the food is taken care of. We keep minimal cash on hand for tips and mousekeeping. We keep the cash in the safe. I love POP! and that is usally where we stay.

I never use anything other then a CC for most of the purchases. Remember when your using the debit card, if it is compromised you will probably have to fight with your bank to get your money back and it could take 10 days or longer. It doesn't work like a credit card. Everyone should be aware of that. If you follow this link there is a great article by Clark Howard about it.

http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/cla...protect-yourself-if-you-use-debit-card/nC3Nz/
While what Clark Howard wrote is true, it is the minimum law that banks must follow and not what all banks do. Many banks are now going beyond this and offering 24 hour or less reimbursement. Bottom line is you need to check what your individual bank's policy is.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

I use a credit card and pay it off before it hits any interest.

I don't use my Disney Visa (Gasp!) but an airline card instead. (I like the miles)

-dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom