News Cars-Themed Expansion at Magic Kingdom

Horizonsfan

It's amusing how this project still plausibly could be a fantastic home run or a big unforced error.

IMO, the plausible options shake out as:

1) Shorten ROA, preserve Liberty Belle & TSI as attractions, Add Cars & villains = A/A+ alteration
2) Shorten ROA, perma-dock LB, remove TSI rafts, retain island experiences but accessible via bridge, Add Cars & villains = B/B-
3) Infill ROA, eliminate LB & TSI, add cars & villains = D
4) Infill ROA, eliminated LB & TSI, add only cars = F

It was mentioned somewhere here the Moana boat ride budget was potentially reallocated to the retention of the ROA as a (shortened) kinetic element. I hope that's the case. I'd gladly make that trade...Hot take, I'd make that trade even if it means Moana in the Tiki Room.

MerlinTheGoat

Fair enough.

But I mean, did singing and dancing animals take away from the Frontierland vibes? There has always been a level of fantasy and whimsy in MK’s Frontierland, first with Country Bears, and then when they built Splash.
Whimsy and fantasy isn't the sole issue, not the most glaring one at least. Thus far until very recently, Frontierland was pretty consistent at not incorporating obvious modern machinery in the themed elements. 1920s automobiles started creeping in with Tiana, and now they've gone completely nuts with modern looking vehicles. The giant googly eyes on the hoods however also feels very offputting and inappropriate. There's something about that which feels a step further into the realm of gross absurdity than the Country Bears or Splash characters. I say this as someone who actually really enjoyed the first Cars film and also RSR over in California, but the character designs are sort of generally weird to look at.

Chef idea Mickey`=

The responses to this is making me feel like I switched universes somehow like the weird mandela effect theories. Does Cars not take place mostly in the desert??? It fits perfectly lol

Originally I was guessing that D23 this year would not announce anything Cars/Cars Land at this year because of the response so I thought if they didn't green lit Coco area as Phase 1 for this D23 that they would at least give the theme to the land which I hoped and thought be Desert Land at The Magic Kingdom!

Ice Gator

Yeah, But is ROA safe?
I’m feeling confident ROA won’t be removed. I’ve been wrong before of course, but this seems like it will be an expansion on the back side of Thunder connecting to Villains land.

Aka where Coco and Encanto were originally shown in the Blue Sky art with Villains Land more behind Mansion

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

I will admit that disliking Cars is part of it for me!

I just find that franchise so unappealing that to lose Rivers of America and have a rethinking of Frontierland take place so we can fit in a weird cartoon celebration of cars and wander through geographical features moulded to resemble car parts while watching anthropomorphised cars with big eyes and smiles zoom past seems like a big downgrade to the park.

I can understand this. I could care less about Cars, but I will say… as someone who just experienced Carsland for the first time in June … it’s amazing. The IP did not matter. It felt so real and authentically American. The mountain range is gorgeous and insane in person.

I feel the concept art is trying to stay true to the vibe of the films, but will translate in real life to hopefully be as stunning as Carsland in DCA. And if so, it’ll be immersive and fitting, IMO.

etc98

I’m feeling confident ROA won’t be removed. I’ve been wrong before of course, but this seems like it will be an expansion on the back side of Thunder connecting to Villains land.
I love that MK's Thunder Mountain buts up against the river. I'd hate to see that change. Why I'm rooting for the entrance to the expansion to be under the railroad past Tiana's

Disney Analyst

This could keep the island and a shortened riverboat - I have no issue with this.

But this would be “beyond Frontierland” - which apparently not what we are getting? I’m crazy confused.

I feel like they’ll need to use a bit of beyond Big Thunder for this, but not enough to warrant it being labelled that? And the rest of beyond is Villains??

I dunno.

ConfettiCupcake

I will admit that disliking Cars is part of it for me!

I just find that franchise so unappealing that to lose Rivers of America and have a rethinking of Frontierland take place so we can fit in a weird cartoon celebration of cars and wander through geographical features moulded to resemble car parts while watching anthropomorphised cars with big eyes and smiles zoom past seems like a big downgrade to the park.

To me, losing or altering RoA and TSI is a completely different gripe than the fit of Cars. A complete loss of RoA would be awful. But I’m also assuming they would be doing whatever they’re doing to it no matter what IP they had selected.

Sir_Cliff

I can understand this. I could care less about Cars, but I will say… as someone who just experienced Carsland for the first time in June … it’s amazing. The IP did not matter. It felt so real and authentically American. The mountain range is gorgeous and insane in person.

I feel the concept art is trying to stay true to the vibe of the films, but will translate in real life to hopefully be as stunning as Carsland in DCA. And if so, it’ll be immersive and fitting, IMO.
My feeling about Carsland is that it is very well-done for what it is. However, I don't feel that I love it as much as a lot of people do and would have much preferred it was a Route 66-themed land perhaps with a few Cars attractions. For me, the charm in that land comes from the 1950s/60s architecture, the neon, and the desert atmosphere. The constant references to cars, car parts, etc. do more to take away from than add to that atmosphere for me.

That said, it is popular!

Chef idea Mickey`=

I’m super confused with so much! Haha. “That location” being filling rivers of America?

I always thought “beyond big thunder” meant the open space beyond big thunder - this is “reimagined Frontierland” - was beyond big thunder always this location?

The original poster was replying that what we're getting is now is will be more exciting to the area with Magic Kingdom than had it been Coco and Encanto! I actually meant location as on BBT not anywhere on Frontierland but beyond it. I thought it was going Behind Big Thunder far away West or North West.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

If you are against Cars and reduce it to human cars or cars with googly eyes, but thought Encanto and its magical house, or Coco and its very overt non Frontier setting with strong cultural ties and a touch of magic were good fits for Frontierland, ya might just dislike Cars.
That’s a big stretch of what anyone is saying.
I think cars land is the most successful IP land Disney has built - I love it. If they had built the junkyard jamboree as proposed it would be my definition of a perfect theme park land.

Adding modern cars in general, completely changes the feeling and vibe of that section of the park.

I would be against losing the island and riverboat no matter what - but I think Coco and Encanto would have been better for a MK expansion in this area.

TheIceBaron

I’m trying to think what was not announced that is coming down the pipeline for Frontierland. With the arcade going away, country bear adjustments, TBA, etc. makes you wonder if this is part of a slower complete overhaul of the entire land. Pecos Bill was rumored to be rethemed as well. It might still be frontier land in name but would appear unrecognizable compared with pre covid frontier land.

BrianLo

I’m not as opposed to this as I thought I was going to be. My one major takeaway from the direction of WDI - other than the very obvious ongoing IP-ification, they do seem to have a lot longer leash within their assigned sandboxes. All of the projects seem allowed to be designed FOR the spaces they occupy.

One of my deep seated fears was that it would be a poor man’s RSR and would also take away from DCA. It’s clearly not remotely RSR. Even if it probably won’t be as good, it’s original. Which is far better than being RSR with elements cut.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was told it's a different ride system. And the concept art is very notable that it's not showing any signs of track or guide rail, and a very off-road surface. May just be artistic license, or not.

Cars-Land-Magic-Kingdom_Full_57211.jpg

I would have to think this is artistic license. I can't imagine any ride system that could safely simulate this type of action outside without having some sort of track. Putting aside the issue of weather, the RSR ride system seems to be the best fit for this.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I would have to think this is artistic license. I can't imagine any ride system that could safely simulate this type of action outside without having some sort of track. Putting aside the issue of weather, the RSR ride system seems to be the best fit for this.
Could Tesla-style Full Self Driving me done here on a known course without driver intervention? Probably not yet, but that type of thing isn't far off.

ConfettiCupcake

That’s a big stretch of what anyone is saying.
I think cars land is the most successful IP land Disney has built - I love it. If they had built the junkyard jamboree as proposed it would be my definition of a perfect theme park land.

Adding modern cars in general, completely changes the feeling and vibe of that section of the park.

I would be against losing the island and riverboat no matter what - but I think Coco and Encanto would have been better for a MK expansion in this area.

Coco and Encanto both do not fit in Frontierland though, neither thematically nor aesthetically. Much of the complaints I have read about Cars is the poor fit in Frontierland or MK in general, but I think Coco or Encanto would have been a much more glaring case of using popular IP for the sake of it disregarding proper fit.

I’d prefer no IP at all, but those days are long over. Cars and the potential setting fits very well aesthetically IMO - especially next to BTMRR, far more than the other proposed options despite them not needing to utilize modern vehicles for Encanto and Coco.

TheRealSkull

This is going to be one of these attractions people don't know they'll love it until they ride it. It looks like a blast. It is like a hybrid of RSR and Indiana Jones. I kind of wish there was a way they could've incorporated Monument Valley behind Big Thunder as that rockwork would have fit in beautifully and blended in nicely. Heck, they probably could have done both and created a seamless transition in the ride from the desert canyons of the west to the mountain trails. but I am willing to give this a chance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom