News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
But will merch/food sold in the new Cars area increase revenues that much?

Possibly, yes. Cars is one of the most profitable franchises in the Disney umbrella. Merchandise wise, Cars sells more merch (world wide) than many other popular Disney brands including Toy Story, Spider Man and the MCU. Merchandise wise, Cars' sales are along the same line as Batman (and honestly not that far behind Barbie). Does Disney still sell Cars merch around WDW without having a dedicated Cars land? Sure. Could they sell a lot more if they had a store in a land dedicated to just Cars merch? Possibly... It's one of the reason the Harry Potter lands have been expanded so much. Sure they are popular, but what REALLY drives the land is the profitability off of the merch they are selling.

Starship824

In the Parks
No
Really this is just another reason why they should not be building either the Cars or Villains areas. It is not easy to build on water or wetlands in Florida. They have so much other expansion potential at MK that seems like much lower hanging fruit that it really boggles the mind that they’re going with this instead
If they had that attitude WDW would never have been built. The entire resort is basically built on wetlands.

Disstevefan1

Really this is just another reason why they should not be building either the Cars or Villains areas. It is not easy to build on water or wetlands in Florida. They have so much other expansion potential at MK that seems like much lower hanging fruit that it really boggles the mind that they’re going with this instead
Whatever Disney does (in its theme parks) is driven by money. It could be cheaper to build there, there could be tax reasons, there is of course now building attractions so they can sell LL for them.

It’s all about money, not the guest experience.

DreamfinderGuy

I don’t think this gets canned. Too late now. Why would they even, this should be Minor.
How is it too late if they've done nothing? Creative was done on plenty of EPCOT projects, significant development even happened on a few, and they all got canned. I don't think this project gets canceled either but I'm shocked at how confident people are that nothing can stop it.

Sneaky

How is it too late if they've done nothing? Creative was done on plenty of EPCOT projects, significant development even happened on a few, and they all got canned. I don't think this project gets canceled either but I'm shocked at how confident people are that nothing can stop it.
I mean you are true, but this is the one of the most merchandisable properties for Disney, in the most visited theme park in the world. Less likley this gets canned for that reason. If anything, villains would be the one to be canned. It’s much more blue sky, and farther out. But this is just minor red tape.

erasure fan1

Less likley this gets canned for that reason. If anything, villains would be the one to be canned. It’s much more blue sky, and farther out.
That's not out of the realm of possibility. Villains won't start until well after dark universe opens at Uni. If that doesn't go over so well, I think it's going to do fantastic, I could see Disney adjust. But cars sells a lot, so I highly doubt anything there changes. That said, I really don't see anything really changing with either land except for the real possibility of budget cuts. I foresee both lands get built, I can also see the scope of these projects get nerfed a fair amount.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It seems the main sticking points are:

1. the laydown yards which are wetlands and part of the flood plain. They'd need to be cleared and dewatered to be used that way. And Florida makes people buy and reserve much large plots of wetlands to offset such usage, usually. I'm sure Florida wants to know... "Hey, all that buildable land you just created... planning to build on it, perhaps?"

2. The "river" of RoA. Disney just needs to show them that it's just a giant shallow cee-ment pond. There's isn't a working beaver lodge or any other natural biome in it.

3. And when it rains, where is the water landing in the park going to go?

Disstevefan1

It seems the main sticking points are:

1. the laydown yards which are wetlands and part of the flood plain. They'd need to be cleared and dewatered to be used that way. And Florida makes people buy and reserve much large plots of wetlands to offset such usage, usually. I'm sure Florida wants to know... "Hey, all that buildable land you just created... planning to build on it, perhaps?"

2. The "river" of RoA. Disney just needs to show them that it's just a giant shallow cee-ment pond. There's isn't a working beaver lodge or any other natural biome in it.

3. And when it rains, where is the water landing in the park going to go?
The penguin’s got a point when TWDC was, let’s face it, running RCID, they could do as they please. Now with CFTOD, that freedom is gone.

So, yes, the path of least resistance is to destroy ROA, TSI.

And TWDC has only itself to blame for losing RCID.

And it’s only really the guests who suffer.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom