News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

DisneyHead123

I still say there are decent odds that part of this area becomes New Orleans Square or similar. That would have quite a few "pros" in its favor:

- While not as thematically perfect as Rivers, would retain theming much more than cartoon cars (While still allowing them to fill in rivers, which I think people have said are expensive or in need of repairs? And would free up more land for use.)

- Bonus opportunity to put in more food and retail under the guise of - "Fans talked - we listened. MERCH!!!"

- I think New Orleans Square is a pretty big hit at Disneyland, yes? Would be a way to sell the Tiana ride a bit better. It might be better received as part of a beloved land.

- Mardi Gras celebrations (and associated $$), which Universal has at a much larger scale than Disney.

- They can copy a fair bit of the design from Disneyland, which I assume saves cash.

My gut instinct says this is probably the direction they'll go. The biggest "con" would be that they missed an opportunity to add an area that is more boy-centric. But given the backlash, I don't think that will be a make or break factor.

mickEblu

It got plenty of reaction. Positive initial reaction then the realization of where it was going set in and the crowd turned. It was a weird low point for sure. Between the "Nooooo!" scream and then the hushing of the crowd as Josh struggled to hype it up (wondering now if even he is against it) it was clearly a struggle for all. That said, I'd be shocked if they walk this back.

They'll either press forward or scale the attraction down but I don't anticipate a reversal. I don't doubt they're being bombarded with feedback.

Positive? It sounded like crickets with a bit of an Awkward silence on the livestream. They won’t do a 180 but if they keep the river loop from Mansion to Thunder this thing would go from being one of the worst decisions in Disney parks history to an acceptable trade off.

Gringrinngghost

I still say there are decent odds that part of this area becomes New Orleans Square or similar. That would have quite a few "pros" in its favor:

- While not as thematically perfect as Rivers, would retain theming much more than cartoon cars (While still allowing them to fill in rivers, which I think people have said are expensive or in need of repairs? And would free up more land for use.)

- Bonus opportunity to put in more food and retail under the guise of - "Fans talked - we listened. MERCH!!!"

- I think New Orleans Square is a pretty big hit at Disneyland, yes? Would be a way to sell the Tiana ride a bit better. It might be better received as part of a beloved land.

- Mardi Gras celebrations (and associated $$), which Universal has at a much larger scale than Disney.

- They can copy a fair bit of the design from Disneyland, which I assume saves cash.

My gut instinct says this is probably the direction they'll go. The biggest "con" would be that they missed an opportunity to add an area that is more boy-centric. But given the backlash, I don't think that will be a make or break factor.

This is how I personally see the area:
1724113377519.png

BTM is the outlier of the area. With Mansion aside, let’s look at them thematically.
Blue is the Mississippi River & East.
Green is late 1700s colonial
Red* is the stereotypical old west

*You can argue the Native encampment being in the Great Plains & not the stereotypical west. The stereotypical west being New Mexico and Arizona during the times of Billy the Kid. BTM is more akin to Monument Valley in Arizona for example.

I can see them converting Pecos Bill to Tiana's and that area can be the defacto New Orleans's Square and they could technically expand on it up to Pirates as well as adding another restaurant if they were to move the parade step off area.

Take the cars money and spend it on more Villians. Win win! Haha
Not opposed to that but I’m still down to remove ROA. So the whole argument people are making about this new land not fitting the theme definitely would not work when malificent’s castle is next to country bears.

I do like keeping the riverfront a bit, maybe park the riverboat permanently and then new land after that. That Disney Glimpses account had an interesting idea here. There is just no way I think they go back on this.

Attachments

• IMG_1530.jpeg
    IMG_1530.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 61

DisneyHead123

This is how I personally see the area:
View attachment 810651

BTM is the outlier of the area. With Mansion aside, let’s look at them thematically.
Blue is the Mississippi River & East.
Green is late 1700s colonial
Red* is the stereotypical old west

*You can argue the Native encampment being in the Great Plains & not the stereotypical west. The stereotypical west being New Mexico and Arizona during the times of Billy the Kid. BTM is more akin to Monument Valley in Arizona for example.

I can see them converting Pecos Bill to Tiana's and that area can be the defacto New Orleans's Square and they could technically expand on it up to Pirates as well as adding another restaurant if they were to move the parade step off area.

Apologies, but anything involving visuospatial skills makes my brain scream. Are you saying no they don't go with the river because it's in the wrong area, or yes they go with filling in the river but only up to a point?

Either way my response is "I doubt they care that much, they're literally about to put cartoon cars in that area now so I don't think the nuances of historical timeframes would stop anything if they went with New Orleans Square." It's enough that TBA is in-that-area-ish and also the Much Merch Much Food Sales factor. My hunch is that from an exec standpoint, that would have been the first choice, but there was a feeling that "fans want rides". Since the fans seem to dislike this ride and they could swoop in and "save the day" with the theming of New Orleans Square, to me it seems like a no brainer for them. But I'm not an insider or an exec, so just my best guess, lol.

J4546

i wish theyd expand outside rr boundries but overall Im still looking forward to this. It will make MK significantly dif from DL in CA and Im optimistic the ride will pretty epic, I love RSR

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Of course! Please find it below:

View attachment 810640

Again, some Disney TikTok vloggers are sharing it and stating it tracks with their understanding.
This reminds my of a lot of social media speculation we were hearing about Splash Mountain too. I think it is extremely unlikely at this point as it simply doesn’t fit the WDW business model.

At best there may be a consideration of locating Monsters to animation, retaining HOP, and keeping Liberty Belle as a docked bar and restaurant tied to Tiana. But that seems like best case scenario.

Cliff

I suspect that this entire catostrophic idea comes from a very small number of Burbank executives. I'd bet that a lot of respected people around this thing are saying that this is a horribly bad idea.

Once you destroy the river, island and riverboat?....MK is scared forever and it becomes the ONLY castle park in the world that is disfigured in this way and wont have this iconic water feature.

I fear that with so much resistance to this thing that whoever is driving this destruction will use our anger as fuel to push even harder against us.

I do suspect that "spite" in Burbank is a strong motivator here with these arsonists.

The more they see we hate it,... the more it makes them want it.

Last edited:

JoeCamel

I suspect that this entire catostrophic idea comes from a very small number of Burbank executives. I'd bet that a lot of respected people around this thing are saying that this is a horribly bad idea.

Once you destroy the river, island and riverboat?....MK is scared forever it becomes the ONLY castle park in the world that is disfigured in this way and wont have this iconic water feature.

I fear that with so much resistance to this thing that whoever is driving this destruction will use our anger as fuel to push even harder against us.

I do suspect that "spite" in Burbank is a strong motivator here with these arsonists.

The more they see we hate it,... the more it makes them want it.
I think you should start a petition and send a strongly worded email

JSouth25

This reminds my of a lot of social media speculation we were hearing about Splash Mountain too. I think it is extremely unlikely at this point as it simply doesn’t fit the WDW business model.

At best there may be a consideration of locating Monsters to animation, retaining HOP, and keeping Liberty Belle as a docked bar and restaurant tied to Tiana. But that seems like best case scenario.
Yeah, I doubt anything will end up changing and it’s all wishful thinking at the end of the day, but this feels like some of the most backlash I’ve seen over a parks decision ever. It makes me wonder what they’re thinking seeing all the negative feedback.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Yeah, I doubt anything will end up changing and it’s all wishful thinking at the end of the day, but this feels like some of the most backlash I’ve seen over a parks decision ever. It makes me wonder what they’re thinking seeing all the negative feedback.
I don’t doubt they’re surprised by the reaction, but I also think they’re going to charge forward perhaps at an even faster pace to “close the book on this” given permits are being filed. At Burbank they don’t think nostalgia is a core component of their Florida business model.

And unlike the ops team at TDA, there’s seemingly no one at TDO advocating for it. They’d rather prove to the Street that they’re the luxury resort with the highest per guest spend possible so you have perverse incentives at play.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom