News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Cliff

Just my way of saying I don't do well with maps, so if you're trying to tell me something with a map my response will be: "Uuuuuhhh... wut?" lol. Much more of a verbal thinker.

Ok, the liberty belle is a stern-wheeler. And Lightning McQueen is (stops, Googles, copies and pastes from Reddit)... a Chevy with an iron block 5.86 L displacement pushrod V8. There are degrees of blending in, I would say Rivers did it a bit better than Cars, if not perfectly. By way of example - it is one thing to have dinosaurs from two different eras in the same scene. It's another to have dinosaurs eating at McDonald's. Different degrees of "not entirely accurate". One has kind of a superficial believability if you're just there to have fun, the other is going to pull even the most casual viewer out of immersion.

Maybe. But I kinda think they will backtrack on this one. Just my two cents, but Disney being a beloved landmark and all, I think there is a relative unity of opinion on a "What the heck!?" sentiment here that crosses a lot of demographics. If there is a pressing reason to fill in Rivers (like money or long term sustainability, which I've seen mentioned here,) I think they will still do that. But I think they will veer towards a more thematically appropriate replacement.
I'd say that almost nobody wants to cancel Fronteir Cars. It seems like it could be a lot of fun..just don't build it on top of the river. There is PLENTY of land to do this elsewhere.

We CAN have Cars...and....the Rivers of America,...at the same time, with no problems.

This would be a win/win situation for ALL fans and nobody loses anything. Disney...you won't need to wall-off a large chunk of Magic Kingdom for 3-5 years to build Cars. You can build Cars without dusturbing any guests at all!!

Disney,...you will make everybody happy and make more money that way!

TrojanUSC

Bob Iger was in the room - the cars announcement got no reaction. Even if I’m 100% sure of a product if 12,000 people don’t react at all to a major announcement I’m at least going to have a meeting and question the project.

Especially when all other announcements except the Walt AA got very good reactions.

Tower of Terror retheme at DCA got outright boos and that still happened.

Sir_Cliff

That’s accurate on the east bank. If you look in the bottom left corner of the image, you can see the boardwalk in front of the Diamond Horseshoe still intact, with water running under it that flows down from the peak. Whether it will be built as shown and the physical extent of it remains to be seen, but a few sources have said significant water features remain. Hopefully we’ll get art from different angles at some point.
The problem is, the artwork also features the facades of the Disneyland Paris Frontierland which is odd, to say the least. It doesn't inspire much confidence that this is based on a detailed study of the final plans rather than an artist being given some concepts and broad outlines to work with.

I think the vehicles will be hidden. That seems almost the entire reason everything is set up as it is. Also, I think the goal is to have the area look like Appalachia from the east (a more suitable backdrop for Liberty Square) and Yellowstone from the west (which is at the nexus of Cascadia, the Great Plains, and the Rockies, making it as decent a simultaneous neighbor as one can find for the Mississippi Basin and the southwest).
I hate to sound like a broken record, but the main mountain as seen from Liberty Square will be in the shape of a piston. This is also a world where everything references cars, so presumably all the structures in this area will also have cars elements worked into them just as Cars Land does at DCA. Why, then, hide the cars with the big faces and mouths and, if they do, does it really make that big a difference?

GinaD613

Don’t they have like 40,000 freaking acres to play with?! Not everyone can handle even the gentlest of attractions. My DH, for example, found the initial dip in Pirates too much for his liking. A mild ride like the riverboat is needed for folks like him, and probably other motion-averse guests.

I agree with others who have suggested using other parts of the property for Cars and Villains, and keeping ROA

MagicHappens1971

I hate to be a broken record. Nobody is reading between the lines. Disney clearly wants to get rid of the RoA & TSI. Point blank, period. Do they have thousands of other acres they could build upon? Yes. Does the MK even have other expansion plots? Yes. Is Disney going to do either of those two things with this project? No.

Whether we like or not Cars is coming to Frontierland. I don’t necessarily have a problem with it and if it is executed well I think it will be a great addition to the Magic Kingdom. I will miss the ambience of the Riverboat, but do agree that the kinetics are much better at Disneyland and feel that this mini-land can also offer pretty good kinetics.

James Alucobond

I hate to sound like a broken record, but the main mountain as seen from Liberty Square will be in the shape of a piston. This is also a world where everything references cars, so presumably all the structures in this area will also have cars elements worked into them just as Cars Land does at DCA. Why, then, hide the cars with the big faces and mouths and, if they do, does it really make that big a difference?
The Piston profile looks much more muted and naturalistic in the overhead view than in the more animated-style concept artwork. What else do you suppose will be visible from anywhere else in existing Frontierland or Liberty Square? Within the Cars area, the main path and the upper level for the attraction path look to be more or less at ground level relative to the rest of Frontierland, with the lower paths below that. The trees, rockwork, and remaining surrounding buildings will presumably block all views into the land, plus all structures within the land are oriented inward. I think anything inside the desired perimeter that isn't Piston Peak and maybe the roofline of the lodge will be completely invisible from the Haunted Mansion all the way to Tiana's Bayou Adventure unless you approach from the new northern entrance (or can potentially peer in from on high in TBA or BTMRR).

GinaD613

Make your opinion count. Reach out if you want to stop the destruction of the Rivers of America!

Robert A. Iger
Chief Executive Officer
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
robert.a.iger@disney.com
(818) 560-1000
Here’s my email. I’m hoping that my overestimate of 40,000 acres will prompt someone to reply, if only to correct me:)

Dear Mr. Iger,

I am a fellow Oceansider and longtime Disney fan. My first trip to WDW was in August 1974, and I have returned several times since, when finances permitted. I’m told I also do an excellent impression of Mickey Mouse.

I understand the Florida property encompasses roughly 40,000 acres, although some sections are not suitable for development. Nevertheless, surely Disney could add the highly anticipated Cars and Villains areas to the resort without demolishing the Rivers of America.

Not all Disney guests enjoy thrilling attractions as much as I do. For example, my dear husband found the initial dip on the Pirates of the Caribbean boat ride too intense for his liking. However, a motion-averse guest could still enjoy a “mild” attraction like the riverboat that circles Tom Sawyer Island. I doubt that the Cars rally race would serve as a substitute for the gentle riverboat.

While I understand that the tastes of the younger folks are geared more toward thrill rides (pun intended), Disney has always marketed the parks as enjoyable for all members of the family. This should include motion-averse guests of all ages.

Kindly reconsider your plans, and please locate the new Cars and Villains lands without sacrificing the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island.

Very truly yours,
(name redacted for privacy)

GinaD613

I hate to be a broken record. Nobody is reading between the lines. Disney clearly wants to get rid of the RoA & TSI. Point blank, period. Do they have thousands of other acres they could build upon? Yes. Does the MK even have other expansion plots? Yes. Is Disney going to do either of those two things with this project? No.

Whether we like or not Cars is coming to Frontierland. I don’t necessarily have a problem with it and if it is executed well I think it will be a great addition to the Magic Kingdom. I will miss the ambience of the Riverboat, but do agree that the kinetics are much better at Disneyland and feel that this mini-land can also offer pretty good kinetics.
I can express my opinion and give Disney my input. Of course, it’s not my park, and not my decision. And so far no commission has designated MK or any part thereof a landmark.

Sir_Cliff

The Piston profile looks much more muted and naturalistic in the overhead view than in the more animated-style concept artwork. What else do you suppose will be visible from anywhere else in existing Frontierland or Liberty Square? Within the Cars area, the main path and the upper level for the attraction path look to be more or less at ground level relative to the rest of Frontierland, with the lower paths below that. The trees, rockwork, and remaining surrounding buildings will presumably block all views into the land, plus all structures within the land are oriented inward. I think anything inside the desired perimeter that isn't Piston Peak and maybe the roofline of the lodge will be completely invisible from the Haunted Mansion all the way to Tiana's Bayou Adventure unless you approach from the new northern entrance (or can potentially peer in from on high in TBA or BTMRR).
Sorry, I thought you meant that in general the cars wouldn't be visible outside of the rides within the new area rather than that they wouldn't be visible from the existing Frontierland/Liberty Square.

On that note, I would agree that you will probably just see rocks, trees, and some water from the existing Frontierland beyond Piston Peak. How much better that makes it is up for debate, but I would agree with you that the issue is not, for example, that Lightening McQueen will be parked across from The Golden Horseshoe.

Cliff

Yes, we all know why Burbank hates Tom Sawyer's Island and Mark Twain and Fronteir land and American Adventure...etc.

The problem is that you really are not allowed to talk about that because it gets people upset and feelings get hurt. This forum is intended to be a space free of hurt feelings.

Not everbody has thick skin...so it's best NOT to discuss Burbank and the historic controversy of this period of American history. There are other Disney forums where this can be discussed more freely.

So,...let's resist and protest Disney's destruction of the Rivers of America, Tom Sawyer Island and the Liberty Bell using the OTHER dozen legitimate arguments on why it should stay.

Disney...do you "really" want a 5+ year "Epcot-style" BOMB CRATER in such a high profile area of Magic Kingom?? All while Epic Universe is swallowing up your guests during those 5 years?

Dont wall up MK!...leave the river and build Cars in an EMPTY area. Make MK look it's VERY BEST while Epic Universe is trying to eat your lunch!!!

An "ugly" MK will have a harder time competing against a brand new, shiny, sparkling Epic Universe!

Last edited:

MagicHappens1971

Don’t wall up MK!...leave the river and build Cars in an EMPTY area. Make MK look it's VERY BEST while Epic Universe is trying to eat your lunch!!!

An "ugly" MK will have a harder time competing against a brand new, shiny, sparkling Epic Universe!
I don’t really want to comment on most of your post but, Epic will never pull from MK. DAK, DHS, maybe. MK, never.

Haymarket

AFAIU Shanghai doesn’t have a ROA per say am I right?
They don't, but they do have quite a bit of water.
1000015966.jpg

phillip9698

I'd say that almost nobody wants to cancel Fronteir Cars. It seems like it could be a lot of fun..just don't build it on top of the river. There is PLENTY of land to do this elsewhere.

We CAN have Cars...and....the Rivers of America,...at the same time, with no problems.

This would be a win/win situation for ALL fans and nobody loses anything. Disney...you won't need to wall-off a large chunk of Magic Kingdom for 3-5 years to build Cars. You can build Cars without dusturbing any guests at all!!

Disney,...you will make everybody happy and make more money that way!

Certainly not a win for everyone. Keeping the river and TSI and shifting Cars elsewhere just uses more prime real estate that could have been used in the future for another land. If an attraction is no longer relevant/frequented, replacement should be considered.

You don’t make more money by using up all your potential expansion plots to save attractions that guests no longer frequent! Management has a responsibility to keep as many of those plots free as they can for the future of the park, a future that may not come to fruition until 20 years from now.

Last edited:

MrPromey

... Management has a responsibility to keep as many of those plots free as they can for the future of the park, a future that may not come to fruition until 20 years from now.
A "responsibility" you say?

Do you honestly think anyone making decisions in current management today cares what happens at WDW in 20 years?

Last edited:

Rosso11

Here’s my email. I’m hoping that my overestimate of 40,000 acres will prompt someone to reply, if only to correct me:)

Dear Mr. Iger,

I am a fellow Oceansider and longtime Disney fan. My first trip to WDW was in August 1974, and I have returned several times since, when finances permitted. I’m told I also do an excellent impression of Mickey Mouse.

I understand the Florida property encompasses roughly 40,000 acres, although some sections are not suitable for development. Nevertheless, surely Disney could add the highly anticipated Cars and Villains areas to the resort without demolishing the Rivers of America.

Not all Disney guests enjoy thrilling attractions as much as I do. For example, my dear husband found the initial dip on the Pirates of the Caribbean boat ride too intense for his liking. However, a motion-averse guest could still enjoy a “mild” attraction like the riverboat that circles Tom Sawyer Island. I doubt that the Cars rally race would serve as a substitute for the gentle riverboat.

While I understand that the tastes of the younger folks are geared more toward thrill rides (pun intended), Disney has always marketed the parks as enjoyable for all members of the family. This should include motion-averse guests of all ages.

Kindly reconsider your plans, and please locate the new Cars and Villains lands without sacrificing the Rivers of America and Tom Sawyer Island.

Very truly yours,
(name redacted for privacy)
You need to email WDW President Jeff Vahle if you want to talk to the person who made this decision. This is well below Iger. Iger does not micromanage the parks the way Eisner did. Jeff makes all of these calls. It’s not Iger and it’s not even Josh. It’s Jeff. He’s also on social media. Send messages there. Comment on his posts. I have no idea why he gets no blame from most of the public. But he’s who you should be voicing your feelings to. The budgets come from Burbank but outside of the mandates from the west coast such as Galaxy’s Edge and Tiana, it’s Jeff who decides how the money is spent in WDW.

Last edited:

Beacon Joe

Disney...do you "really" want a 5+ year "Epcot-style" BOMB CRATER in such a high profile area of Magic Kingom?? All while Epic Universe is swallowing up your guests during those 5 years?

This consideration is one of the things that I find glaringly absent in discussions about this plan. Gaming it out from the perspective of Disney, it does seem odd that they are hell bent on repeating an Epcot "renovation" type of situation dragging on in the middle of their signature park while Epic Universe is getting rolling. Epcot was a pretty unpleasurable experience for years, and ultimately the company had nothing to show for it.

Incomudro

I agree with this.
I don't believe we are in any danger of seeing let alone hearing anthropomorphic faced cars from Frontierland, nor the queue to Haunted Mansion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom