News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Disstevefan1

If they do replace HoP for The Muppets - their will be backlash not from park fans so much but from the the press with headlines like "Disney hates Liberty", "Disney's unAmerica", etc. Disney has just got over the bad press from their controversial takes and then to take another punch of their own making is foolishness though.
In my opinion -

I honestly think there will only be backlash depending on who is elected, even if they close prior to the election.

Lets say HOP is closed prior to the election.
If one if the candidates is elected, folks will BE HAPPY HOP was closed to be changed.
If the other candidate is elected, there will be backlash because HOP was closed to be changed.

NOW IF, they do the usual and close after the election as usual, they can EITHER do the normal changes OR change HOP DEPENDING on who is elected!

THAT COULD WORK.

psherman42

I’m not trying to provide proof. I’m simply telling you that there will be water and water features.

So you didn’t answer. What water features has Disney promised that didn’t materialize?
But how do you know that? Just continuing to state it does not make it true. If you’re going to say with so much certainty there’s going to be water, you actually need to provide something to back it up. You also can’t define water features. You are also missing my bigger point here that a small stream or water “features” will not match the current river. Are you saying we’re supposed to be okay with them bulldozing the river because they give us one water “feature”?

1. The Epcot fountain
2. One version of New Fantasyland concept art had water
3. Galaxy’s Edge

Attachments

• IMG_4340.jpeg
    IMG_4340.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4341.jpeg
    IMG_4341.jpeg
    112.7 KB · Views: 61

Charlie The Chatbox Ghost

And you want to know why that is? Because the new executives believe that themselves. Eisner had misfires, but he was able to identify why the Parks were special. Bob Iger just seems them as a revenue vehicle for other cynical ventures for the company (Which are also declining artistically).

It especially upsets me when I see blockbusters compared to theme park rides, knowing how much artistry and care can go into an actual theme park ride over a $200 million dollar superhero movie. People have forgotten what that looks like, Disney has allowed them to forget. They used to be able to impress even the most skeptic with their offerings. Now they just want to be like Universal.

The tat and kitschy quality that comes across in flat pictures dissolves when you go through those turnstiles. The lath and plaster is solid, the cardboard is so tough you never see it wobble. The paint is fresh, the flags flutter, the bands play, the people laugh and cry out for more, more security, more nostalgia, more happiness, more memories of a world better than our own. […] Is this bad? Is this, as critics say, like a drug, an escapist immature fantasy generated by an immature showman for cash? Or is it a work of art, as The Wizard of Oz or Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs or Singin’ in the Rain are works of art, commercially manufactured products that transcend their age and have a meaning to themselves as all great works of art should have?”
pg. 321, Robin Allan, Walt Disney and Europe. Indiana University Press, Bloomington. 1999.

The "kitschy quality" will win out, it seems.
Is there any hope at this point that the parks can be turned around to how they were under Walt through Eisner?

doctornick

In my opinion -

I honestly think there will only be backlash depending on who is elected, even if they close prior to the election.

Lets say HOP is closed prior to the election.
If one if the candidates is elected, folks will BE HAPPY HOP was closed to be changed.
If the other candidate is elected, there will be backlash because HOP was closed to be changed.

NOW IF, they do the usual and close after the election as usual, they can EITHER do the normal changes OR change HOP DEPENDING on who is elected!

THAT COULD WORK.
Whomever gets elected, there would be backlash from the supporters of that side if it gets closed. Yes, Disney would do better closing it before the election so they couldn’t accused of bias but either way it would be a mess.

Disstevefan1

Whomever gets elected, there would be backlash from the supporters of that side if it gets closed. Yes, Disney would do better closing it before the election so they couldn’t accused of bias but either way it would be a mess.
Just my opinion, not so sure even closing early would stop the backlash, depending on who is elected.

peter11435

But how do you know that? Just continuing to state it does not make it true. If you’re going to say with so much certainty there’s going to be water, you actually need to provide something to back it up. You also can’t define water features. You are also missing my bigger point here that a small stream or water “features” will not match the current river. Are you saying we’re supposed to be okay with them bulldozing the river because they give us one water “feature”?

I don’t need to provide proof. I’m telling you there will be water and you can choose to believe me or not. That’s up to you. I’m not saying it will be anywhere near the amount that was there, or that you will think it’s worthy. I’m just telling you that there will be water, water features, and waterfalls.

1. The Epcot fountain
2. One version of New Fantasyland concept art had water
3. Galaxy’s Edge
1. What artwork promised an Epcot Fountain
2. There is water in New Fantasyland, including in the locations depicted in that art. The water next to Cinderellas chateau was slightly reduced when plans changed and it became SDMT but there is still water in that location.
3. That artwork is for Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland. The water shown is the Rivers of America and it definitely exists. You can see the train trestle bridge and waterfalls.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t need to provide proof. I’m telling you there will be water and you can choose to believe me or not. That’s up to you.
Well, nobody knows that for sure. All of the water could be cut. I don’t believe that will be the case though but we won’t know for sure until it actually gets built.

They do not
Oh, I guess Len’s list was incorrect then.

docnabox

What makes it creepy? I think it's respectful without playing politics on one side or the other. Is it just all the figures?
It isn’t creepy all. Nor is it dated or dusty. It is patriotic and respectful to the institution and office of the Presidency and what that office and its officeholders have meant to what we are, have been and can be. When I was a kind in the 70’s, my mom and dad made it very clear that this attraction was a must see every time. My brother and I were to pay attention and sit quietly. We could have the rest of the day to enjoy whatever else we wanted but we absolutely were going to watch it. I dreaded it every time wishing we were doing something else. But over time, I started to like it and appreciate it. Eventually it became my own personal must see. We never miss it. I guess times are just different now.

James Alucobond

1. What artwork promised an Epcot Fountain
You could vaguely see a couple of rectangular troughs that looked to radiate out from a central circular fountain in the original super rough overhead art, and I think there was one piece that rotated through the EPCOT Experience that had one in the background, but I think that’s a unique case in that the area was completely re-designed after the COVID pause, and nothing promised thereafter differed from the final product, functioning lights aside.

lazyboy97o

The last thing they built was a coaster, and then they're building a Monsters coaster.

Coasters are popular, but they're not for everyone as evidenced by attendance at coaster heavy parks (Cedar Point, etc)
How do you think those parks became coaster heavy? Why do you think Disney has built so many recently and is building more? Coasters are what people say they want and generate the biggest response. The huge delta in visitation and revenue shows that people are actually very unreliable about what they want and the metrics they provide are not a tool that yields great themed experiences.

Dizknee_Phreek

Disneyland’s Frontierland has a better Big Thunder Mountain, the explorer canoes, the Columbia, Farasmic!, and a lot less dead space.

Tokyo’s is aesthetically much more lush and better laid out. It is the one that is closest to Magic Kingdom’s and therefore ranks lower but it’s use of space is far better.

Paris’ is the best one to me. The most beautiful, the best BTM in the world, an actual live show in the theater, and Phantom Manor.

Hong Kong’s version is very separate thematically but Grizzly Gulch is absolutely beautiful in evert way.

Magic Kingdom has the lowest tier BTM (it’s good but not on the level the rest are), no live entertainment (unless you count the new Bears show I guess), a ton of dead space because it’s bigger than it needs to be, and a really awkward layout.
I have to disagree with you about DL's BTM. I actually like WDW's better. They're both immensely fun, but there's just something about WDW's that I prefer.

The canoes and Columbia I'm sure add a lot to the energy...when they're running. Again, they weren't when I was there in 2019, so I can't speak on that from experience.

I personally wouldn't add Fantasmic to the list of plusses to that land. It was stuck there because where else are they going to put it? It's not there to add anything to the land itself. Again, I was there on weekdays so I didn't get to see it. But the thought of dealing with so many people in such a limited area kind of turned me off from the idea of seeing it even if I could.

I haven't traveled internationally so I definitely can't speak on those lands. Hopefully one day. But when it comes to the comparison between WDW and DL, World's FL wins for me. Or...it did. Guess we'll see if that holds up.

Last edited:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
They could have made the Liberty Belle into Tiana’s restaurant. Meal and a show. Turnover every 75 minutes starting at noon. Swamp friend animatronic band. You get to around around Rivers several times whilst eating. Change Splash to mining accident gone awry (mine gets inadvertently flooded due to neighboring attractions poor planning with dynamite) and you have to ride ride the flood out to the drop. Then, go all in on an over the top Villains Land. Two e tickets, one c/d ticket, and one evil magic show, dining experience. There. Took me 5 minutes.

I’ll catch up and see if any astute arguments have been made for cartoon Cars in the American frontier. My initial reaction is the exact opposite of good.

docnabox

Exactly. Disney is all about the details, immersion, theming. Another time and place. Not just movie IP slapped anywhere and everywhere. IMO that often destroys theming and immersion because, we see these movies and advertisements for them in our everyday life. It's no longer that magical and it doesn't provide the same sense of "wow" or escapism, at least not to me.

I'm not totally against IP and I think some IP attractions have been done well, but I don't understand how Disney doesn't see that almost all of the beloved classics do not rely on IP are just original, immersive attractions. That is what literally built their success. I cannot believe that no one at the top has realized this yet and at least made a pivot to do some original attractions even if IP has to be included with others.
I always saw it that the well known IP’s were the thing to get you in the door. After that there was much more to see. Sorta like, “well if you like all of those things just wait until you see what else we can do!” Now it is just a rehash of the familiar in so many instances

James Alucobond

They could have made the Liberty Belle into Tiana’s restaurant. Meal and a show. Turnover every 75 minutes starting at noon. Swamp friend animatronic band. You get to around around Rivers several times whilst eating. Change Splash to mining accident gone awry (mine gets inadvertently flooded due to neighboring attractions poor planning with dynamite) and you have to ride ride the flood out to the drop. Then, go all in on an over the top Villains Land. Two e tickets, one c/d ticket, and one evil magic show, dining experience. There. Took me 5 minutes.

I’ll catch up and see if any astute arguments have been made for cartoon Cars in the American frontier. My initial reaction is the exact opposite of good.
Converting the Liberty Belle for food service would require a lot of work. One thought I had was that if Cars and the known section of Villains are phase 1, phase 2 could be west of the tracks, with an extension to Villains above the current river exit and something for Coco resurfacing beside Thunder Mountain below that, with a bridge connecting the two. In the transition between Tiana and Coco, you could conceivably add a Tiana restaurant with the Liberty Belle docked permanently behind it roughly where its service dock currently exists as outdoor patio seating for the restaurant. Buuut that’s just a pipe dream.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom