News Cars-Themed Attractions at Magic Kingdom

Sir_Cliff

I still can't quite get over the fact that they are planning to completely redo so a large section of the Magic Kingdom to pay homage to cars. I guess they imagine that the imagination of current and future generations is as activated by the theme of cars as past generations were by adventure, the American frontier, fantasy, and the future.

I just find it so weird that this is what they think the Magic Kingdom is.

Tha Realest

For awhile now Disney has claimed to be doing these grand reimaginings but they’ve never really committed. If you truly believe that Frontierland needs a radical rethink then actually do it and redesign the whole thing around your new central idea. The new attraction though looks inward towards itself because the incongruity is known and will be reflected in the final experience.
What are the new core idea(s) of Frontierland and Liberty Square? What are the unifying themes?

Set aside the time, expense, and disruption - do we have any confidence they’ll nail the thematic overhaul of those two areas with these changes?

LittleBuford

I still can't quite get over the fact that they are planning to completely redo so a large section of the Magic Kingdom to pay homage to cars. I guess they imagine that the imagination of current and future generations is as activated by the theme of cars as past generations were by adventure, the American frontier, fantasy, and the future.

I just find it so weird that this is what they think the Magic Kingdom is.
I’m not a car enthusiast, and I’m very much opposed to the loss of the river, but the theme itself doesn’t seem ill-fitting to me. The National Park roadtrip aesthetic (which is what the concept art is giving me) is sufficiently nostalgic and redolent of the “American Spirit” to work in my opinion. I just wish they’d put it further back, behind Thunder Mountain.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Disney's doing what it thinks will maximize the money it makes for shareholders over the next 5-ish years.

To your point, there are other ways of approaching these kinds of decisions. And as I said upthread, those discussions are really about what flavor of capitalism you prefer.

Executives are incentivized for those short term gains, they have no incentive to look at the long term consequences of their decisions.

donaldtoo

2BE230AE-4937-4924-B89B-FDEB449314C0.jpeg

I don't understand why they need to destroy Rivers Of America with it's Mississipi paddlesteamer and Tom Sawyer Island. It's fundamental to the Magic Kingdom as Walt wanted it. It's desecration. Add, by all means but why destroy such a peaceful, relaxing part that's always been there? I am so, so sad. Then there will be months/years of building work to out up with. Puts me right off going.

So they took the easy way out? Is that what you are saying? I am one of those that doesn’t feel that EVERYTHING at the parks has to be based on an IP. but to have come up with a better fit that made sense, they would have had to show some creative spark and put some effort forth. The two birds that are killed with one stone here are that it is based on an IP that will save effort ( not to mention while not a clone of RSR, the concept is the same but with a different backdrop) and it will sell merchandise. The whole “Tom Sawyer is a problem“ thing is just an axcuse to replace with more profitable concepts.
Sure we can say "Disney shouldn't rely on IPs" but that is their most valuable asset. And yeah of course it's profitable... its a company? They met halfway and still redesigned the ride to fit into a "Wilderness" style Frontierland with a theme of exploring the "great American Wilderness" that's what the theme of Frontierland is now. I think this new area looks very attractive. And sure I guess it's an excuse but it's been a problem people have mentioned for a while + even after this announcement NO ONE IS GOING THERE. It's 2 birds, 1 stone.

What are the new core idea(s) of Frontierland and Liberty Square? What are the unifying themes?

Set aside the time, expense, and disruption - do we have any confidence they’ll nail the thematic overhaul of those two areas with these changes?
Theme of Frontierland: Exploring the American Wilderness/Frontier (outside of the original colonies)

Theme of Liberty Square: Celebrating the Original American Colonies

Hope this helped!

I don’t really even understand what the theme of Frontierland is anymore. It’s kind of confusing as this is really more like Northwest California juxtaposed with the Wild West and the southern bayou.
Exploration of the American Frontier (a quick google search can show you that every area represented was at one point, part of the frontier :) as its a term that basically means outside of the normal civilization for Americans at the time) Which mean its perfect as you're leaving Liberty Square. Also the Rivers of America were based on... all of the rivers of America. They aren't nearby each other. And Tom Sawyer takes place is Missouri while CBJ took place in Tennesse, Splash in Georgia. Technically speaking, Splash is not even a part of the Frontier. But they reworked the look to work a little better. I think you would still be hardpressed to find someone who considers Missouri the "Wild West" or Tennesse

Horrible decision, with the "heart" of both Liberty Square and Frontierland gone. It's too bad they couldn't just dock the Riverboat somewhere for a dinner spot.
There is some water still over by BTM... It's techically possible for them to dock it by Tiana's and make a new Riverboat restaraunt of some sort right outside of Tiana's if they don't want to go with Peco's?

jason976

Do we think this whole plan will go the way of the CBJ toy story redo. The backlash to this is really bad. And they can't use the racism shield like they did with Splash.
I honestly don't think the backlash is as significant as some think. It’s mostly contained to the super fan community which is a small population comparatively speaking. I may be wrong but that’s my guess. I’ve seen a lot of positive reactions online as well.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Sure we can say "Disney shouldn't rely on IPs" but that is their most valuable asset. And yeah of course it's profitable... its a company? They met halfway and still redesigned the ride to fit into a "Wilderness" style Frontierland with a theme of exploring the "great American Wilderness" that's what the theme of Frontierland is now. I think this new area looks very attractive. And sure I guess it's an excuse but it's been a problem people have mentioned for a while + even after this announcement NO ONE IS GOING THERE. It's 2 birds, 1 stone.

To me the problem isn't specifically IPs, it's the way they are being used. It feels like Imagineering is being given the hotest IPs, being told which parts of the park are underperforming and being told to just make it work. Look at the descriptions of Encanto and Indy for AK. It's clear that they are forcing an animal element into them to make them "fit" into the park instead of doing something that is a more natural fit for the park, even using other IPs. These sorts of decision seem to tie the hands of the Imagineering and it makes it difficult to do the very careful, well thought out design work that made Disney what it is today.

CoasterCowboy67

Perhaps they’re just very excited about by this new ride tech, Cars is the obvious IP, and this was the natural park to put it in. I don’t think they put it behind BTM to give Villains an expansive area. I’m all for cutting edge tech, but I do worry about the reliability of outdoor self driving cars when they’re struggling to make a flume work

And still doesn’t justify so much net new going into the park that needs it the least. Rather than building a 5th gate, they’re trying to make MK a 2-day park. And at the expense of AK and HS, who struggle to justify 1 day

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom