Carousel of Progress theatre has been renewed!!

raven

the problem here is that technology changes so fast, it is hard to come up with something in 2006 that can stick around for 10 years that is still going to be cutting edge by 2016. i agree with some of your points too.

i have said before and some agree, that i think the CoP should be moved to a more appropriate venue (DTD, the boardwalk, MGM) rather then in tomorrowland since the space could be better used for a bigger E ticket.

dont kill the CoP, just move and update the system and show slightly. maybe new AA's.

:D

Agreed. I think that COP should be moved to make room for another "space" type attraction other than another simulator ride. COP would be much more appreciated in Epcot joined onto the Inoventions building where they just removed the Future World stage.

I also agree that tecnology changes everyday and it is difficult to keep up with it. But look at Space Mountain and the TTA. They still draw large numbers even after 30 years.

Epcot82Guy

Very very true. Not to spark a huge debate, but the environment created is infinitely more important than the technology, ride, or plot-driven story. I will hold to my dying day that Disney is popular solely because of the feeling. It is not the characters. It is not the stories blatantly told. It is the environment the combination of music, archicteture, visual cues, smells, etc. create. I think their most popular attractions show that, too. Also, when done correctly, an attractions should have the capability of being updateable. "Plussing" seems to be the "new way," but that takes attractions that are plussable first. I think a lot of the character-driven attractions and the attractions with blatant plot lines aren't as easily done in this manner.

Regardless, it's great to hear about some COP TLC. I was in an old theater too, but glad to know new ones exist.

IcicleM

Hehe, I love how Stitch calls it "Stitch Kingdom" on the Monorail shpiel

Aaaanyway, ya'll need to stop actin' foolish and grow up. Just because Monsters Inc. is coming to Tomorrowland does NOT mean it is anything LIKE Pixarland or whatever the such. And since when does the exact THEME have to do with "Tomorrowland?" You yourself mentioned Indy Speedway, which has been there FOREVER, and hasn't changed other than them changing the billboards in the back. That's not going anywhere, so get over it.

And when Delta Airlines was in Tomorrowland (where Buzz is now) Airplanes were not futuristic. They didn't have much to do with tomorrowland at all, other than hinting at the future of air travel. THAT is what Tomorrowland is about. It is about the plans for the future, and brand new TECHNOLOGY.

Before there was Stitch or Alien Encounter, or even "Mission to Mars" there was "Mission to the Moon" which was about people looking at a circular disk on the ground that showed them what the surface of the moon looks like. That has to do with outerspace, and that was their "tomorrow". their "tomorrow" was Outer Space. (This is important, remember those two words.) Later came Mission to Mars (What? More Space Travel? Gosh, it seems this is actually making sense...), which was basically the same thing. Then Alien Encounter, which was a brand new type of experience that has never been recreated anywhere else! And it just so happened to deal with an Alien.

You now have Buzz Lightyear and Stitch, which both have to do with OUTERSPACE and ALIENS (seeing a theme, here?) and both of them present new technology and fun. Stitch is a one of a kind creature who's arms and eyes and even the spikes on his back MOVE. He's a brand new type of animatronic. THAT is the future of Technology.

Carousel of Progress shows us the way technology has "PROGRESSED" through time, and what we look for in the future.

Now, on to my final and last point. MONSTERS INC.: THE LAUGH FLOOR is a brand new technology that they are using and experimenting with (cough cough Turtle Talk) to allow children and teens and adults alike to actually TALK and LAUGH with an animated creature. THIS is the future and PROGRESS of technology.

Do you understand "New Tomorrowland" now? It has nothing to do with the fact that Pixar is there, it simply has to do with the progress of technology, and PRESENTING that progress through fun attractions. Just because Pixar's movies have been more successful than Disney's because of Eisner's FAILURE to realize that the Animation Studio needed more attention, doesn't mean that Pixar is NOT a part of Disney. They are full well a part of Disney and have every right to be in the parks and present their progress in technology through their animated characters.

So chill out, think it out, and FIGURE IT OUT before you and all the other people out there who seem to think they've got a strong argument against Pixar and this new Monsters Inc. attraction start blasting about your metaphors on "Pixarland" and "Disney/Pixar Studios"

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Agreed. I think that COP should be moved to make room for another "space" type attraction other than another simulator ride. COP would be much more appreciated in Epcot joined onto the Inoventions building where they just removed the Future World stage.
dang. that is one of the other locations that i have always said that it could go. i have had the opinion that innovation has lost its luster and would be a great place for such a show.

I also agree that tecnology changes everyday and it is difficult to keep up with it. But look at Space Mountain and the TTA. They still draw large numbers even after 30 years.
agree..... and im usually the one running towards them at opening. 30 years old and i can still beat the young ones. :D

imagineer boy

Nice to see CoP finally getting some good rehab work. Sometime in the future, they'll send it down for a complete rehab, and it will emerge as good as new.

raven

Hehe, I love how Stitch calls it "Stitch Kingdom" on the Monorail shpiel

Aaaanyway, ya'll need to stop actin' foolish and grow up. Just because Monsters Inc. is coming to Tomorrowland does NOT mean it is anything LIKE Pixarland or whatever the such. And since when does the exact THEME have to do with "Tomorrowland?" You yourself mentioned Indy Speedway, which has been there FOREVER, and hasn't changed other than them changing the billboards in the back. That's not going anywhere, so get over it.

And when Delta Airlines was in Tomorrowland (where Buzz is now) Airplanes were not futuristic. They didn't have much to do with tomorrowland at all, other than hinting at the future of air travel. THAT is what Tomorrowland is about. It is about the plans for the future, and brand new TECHNOLOGY.

Before there was Stitch or Alien Encounter, or even "Mission to Mars" there was "Mission to the Moon" which was about people looking at a circular disk on the ground that showed them what the surface of the moon looks like. That has to do with outerspace, and that was their "tomorrow". their "tomorrow" was Outer Space. (This is important, remember those two words.) Later came Mission to Mars (What? More Space Travel? Gosh, it seems this is actually making sense...), which was basically the same thing. Then Alien Encounter, which was a brand new type of experience that has never been recreated anywhere else! And it just so happened to deal with an Alien.

You now have Buzz Lightyear and Stitch, which both have to do with OUTERSPACE and ALIENS (seeing a theme, here?) and both of them present new technology and fun. Stitch is a one of a kind creature who's arms and eyes and even the spikes on his back MOVE. He's a brand new type of animatronic. THAT is the future of Technology.

Carousel of Progress shows us the way technology has "PROGRESSED" through time, and what we look for in the future.

Now, on to my final and last point. MONSTERS INC.: THE LAUGH FLOOR is a brand new technology that they are using and experimenting with (cough cough Turtle Talk) to allow children and teens and adults alike to actually TALK and LAUGH with an animated creature. THIS is the future and PROGRESS of technology.

Do you understand "New Tomorrowland" now? It has nothing to do with the fact that Pixar is there, it simply has to do with the progress of technology, and PRESENTING that progress through fun attractions. Just because Pixar's movies have been more successful than Disney's because of Eisner's FAILURE to realize that the Animation Studio needed more attention, doesn't mean that Pixar is NOT a part of Disney. They are full well a part of Disney and have every right to be in the parks and present their progress in technology through their animated characters.

So chill out, think it out, and FIGURE IT OUT before you and all the other people out there who seem to think they've got a strong argument against Pixar and this new Monsters Inc. attraction start blasting about your metaphors on "Pixarland" and "Disney/Pixar Studios"

You need to chill out, dude. Don't call me foolish and tell me to grow up when I am only giving my personal opinion.

Freedom of Speach doesn't apply to me?...especially when I contribute money to a site to pay for your free posts? :snore:

jedimaster1227

Sorry to tell you, but Raven nor anyone else on this thread were angry or uptight about this subject. You have taken it upon yourself to try to answer a debate that has gone on for years on this forum. One post won't end it.

So, here goes.... My counter for your statement:

Tomorrowland isn't about presenting new technologies in the form of attractions. It is about presenting new technologies of the future in ideal via strong storylines in attractions. In fact, back in Disneyland (way back yonder when), Disney would devote a specific building in Tomorrowland that would present new technologies (Clock of the World, Monsato's Hall of Chemistry and Fashions and Fabrics through the years, Space Station X-1, Hobbyland, Crane Company Bathroom of Tomorrow, etc...). Have I proved my point? Tomorrowland is meant to present new and future technologies not in form, but in ideal. Nothing more, nothing less. If they happen to use new technology in the attractions, that is just bragging rights for Disney. The average guest won't care about the new technology, but the attraction itself. (Most of us on this forum wouldn't be considered average guests.)

As for the statement about Eisner's failure, I would read up a little more about that one before you make such a debatable statement... Eisner isn't the cause of all of Disney's issues (though he is the scapegoat). Now, most of you know me as a person that definitely isn't pro-Eisner, but I know what he has done for Disney. What you do have to realize is that Disney wouldn't have been as successful without Eisner's move to push Disney films and animation to home video (starting with VHS). By doing this, Disney grossed millions (if not billions) more and that money went towards new Disney parks (i.e. MGM Studios and Animal Kingdom) along with the addition of new attractions in each of the parks. Eisner's actions have had both positive and negative effects, but very often, the positive have outweighed the negative.

raven

I don't know how dumb of a question this is, but what are the chances of COP closing?

Not a dumb question at all. But it's something that no one seems to know for sure. But since they renovated the seats and carpet you can almost bet it's seeing a whole new generation of guests as well as long-time COP lovers like myself returing. :wave:

Lee

Adventurer
Just to throw fuel on the fire....
Tomorrowland as Walt saw it is a dead concept. It has been proven that it isn't realistic to showcase future technology, which soon becomes dated, in expensive attractions. They find them selves backed into a corner, like CoP.
Tomorrowland is now just a themed land, like Adventureland or Frontierland and it ain't gonna change.

However, the old idea of showcasing technology lives on...at Innoventions.

FigmentJedi

I don't think the Parrs will replace the CoP family. There's space in Tommorowland for both families to coexist in, like the Skyway station or the Galaxy Palace. Besides, if (Walt forbid) Carousel of Progress was characterificated, I think that the Robinsons(of the upcoming Meet the Robinsons) would go in considering how a cover of Great Big Beautiful Tommorow by They Might Be Giants is being used in the film.

raven

Just to throw fuel on the fire....
Tomorrowland as Walt saw it is a dead concept. It has been proven that it isn't realistic to showcase future technology, which soon becomes dated, in expensive attractions. They find them selves backed into a corner, like CoP.
Tomorrowland is now just a themed land, like Adventureland or Frontierland and it ain't gonna change.

However, the old idea of showcasing technology lives on...at Innoventions.

Agreed. Technology themed attractions moved from Tomorrowland to Inoventions...a better place for it in my own opinion.

They saw the decline of Tomorrowland and it's difficulty to keep up with things. That's why they changed it to reflect "the future that never was." That's an easier theame to follow if you ask me.

PhilharMagician

I've been reading about a overhauled theater with new seats and such for months now, but no matter how many times I've ridden it (and it's a lot), I've only ever seen the old, beat-up seats that have been there forever.

:veryconfu
-m
You are absolutely correct. Matter of fact it has been over a year since that one and only one theater has been updated. I beleive it was MKT who first gave us this info. I will try to search back and find it.

I have been even more concerned that COP now that only the one theater has been done. It almost seems like it was started and then they thought again about shutting it down and pulled the plug on the rehab. It is still a mildly busy attraction. It really could use some updating in the last scene, new seats, new carpet and a paint job. This would bring in some more guests. I know I already visit it at least 2-3 time each trip.

leftymoreno

i was just in COP last week and noticed the fireflies in the background on the porch during the 4th of July scene. Ive never noticed them before. Anybody know if theyre new? If so, it might mean Disneys putting at least a little money into it

Skippy

Agreed. Technology themed attractions moved from Tomorrowland to Inoventions...a better place for it in my own opinion.

They saw the decline of Tomorrowland and it's difficulty to keep up with things. That's why they changed it to reflect "the future that never was." That's an easier theame to follow if you ask me.

Personally I always liked something about the Discoveryland idea. "The future that never was theme"... yes... '94 rehab. We got AE, Timekeeper, a revised CoP, and an overall new theme, "the future that never was" as the poster states.

But where is that now?
Stitch is not 'retro-futuristic' as AE (slightly) was.
I cannot see at this time how laugh floor pertains to "the future that never was" either.
Buzz doesn't fit in perfectly with the Interplanetary (whatever it is called) from '94's Tomorrowland.

I recognized this as tomorrowland's theme in the past, but now it's hard for me to see much that shouts 'futuristic'.

imamouse

I love the CoP and wish it will get the TLC it deserves. It broke my heart to see that the CoP at DL had been turned into an Innoventions.

Side note - my parents first experienced the CoP at the New York Worlds Fair! Did anyone else from this board see it there?

Buford

i was just in COP last week and noticed the fireflies in the background on the porch during the 4th of July scene. Ive never noticed them before. Anybody know if theyre new? If so, it might mean Disneys putting at least a little money into it
not new, but hey, if it was broken at one point, money was put in to fix it! :wave:

(funny how it's sunny outside on the main stage and dark on the revolving stage.... :lookaroun)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom