Carousel of Progress refurb?

MarkTwain

Is there any room built into the structure above the MK CoP like there was in DL? I think it would be great to restore the original ending scene and then have unload go up speedramps to exhibit space above, or if not possible, unload directly into a new addition before going back outside that has exhibit type space that would act as the 'catch up' to today and be designed to be more easily updated for the future. I'm not thinking static exhibit space, but something better than that. What exactly I'm not sure, but it would bring the ride back to its original core to appease the traditionalists and then could allow Disney to be less constrained with how they catch up to today and the future. Basically it would be adding scenes AFTER the classic ride is complete, extending the experience.

My assumption is there probably isn't enough space above and getting back down poses another issue. Going down the addition route they do have that space of the former theater area between CoP and Space Ranger Spin, but if I remember correctly its on the wrong side from the existing CoP exit. It'd just be nice to have the ride portion exit into another structure located backstage somehow and eventually exit back out onto the plaza. Perhaps they could even design it that when the time comes to update the post show that the classic portion of the ride stays fully operational.
Just my Blue Sky thoughts on what could be done.

I once designed a re-envisioned Tomorrowland for Disneyland's Tomorrowland (here's the link - if links to MiceChat are discouraged here, mods, let me know and I'll take it down). But for it, I proposed a speedramp that came after the future scene that would take you a relocated sort of Innoventions Dream Home on the second floor. This model home would be constantly updated with components continuously being replaced with newer ones, without having to rely on grand updates every 10 years or so (think of how the new CoP TV was just sort of swapped in for the old one overnight, and apply that concept to the whole home). The idea was that after seeing a CoP scene depicting the home of the future, you would then get to tour it for yourself. Perhaps the father could even narrate accordingly. Also, my thinking was that the combining of the two attractions in one would boost attendance at two attractions that otherwise tend to get fewer visitors, while simultaneously giving CoP that desirable post-show you mentioned.

The problem which revealed itself when I posted this, though, was that speedramps don't meet modern ADA standards, given the fact that they're quite steep and are, unfortunately, only ramps. That said, this could be circumvented if another means of access were available, such as an exterior elevator.

John

My issue with changing act 4 in efforts to modernize it is two-fold.

First, because of the previous attempts to modernize the show, the flow from act to act is odd jumping 60 years from the 1940s to 2000-ish after acts one through three only being 20-year jumps. To push act four even further into the future would mean something like a 100 year jump, and I can't believe that would flow at all from a storytelling standpoint.

But more importantly, I don't see how it is important for the Carousel of Progress to be some kind of "window to the future" any longer. Does ANYONE see the show to get a sneak peek into the future of home appliances? Some people like the music, others see it as special because it is one of Walt's attractions, others like taking a nap out of the sun and heat, but I suspect very few have EVER looked to the Carousel as a source of futurism. The first three acts were always a classic Disney-style "fond look back", so it isn't like the attraction hasn't been trading on guest nostalgia from day one anyway.

I would much rather see the show restored to look and sound as close to what Walt actually built as much as possible and leave the future guesswork for other more logical locations. Regardless of Walt's original intentions, the nostalgia we have for the parks and our wishing to have stronger connections to attractions Walt helped develop is far stronger and more important than continuing to tear apart an original, classic attraction.

Yes it is completely ironic, but in this case I think progress is the last thing the Carousel of Progress actually needs.

I agree totally.....Also, the notion of a refurb every ten years seems silly to me....we really dont know what the future is going to be. Whatever scene you install will be yesterdays news. As the laptop I am typing on...it was "outdated" shortly after I purchased it. I suspect the refurb could be "outdated " before the refurb could be completed. I see COP as more of a tribute to Walt. Maybe the placement of the ride isnt perfect (Tommorrowland). The ride is more of a story of what was then a story of what will be. Of course no matter what happens this argument will continue forever.

G00fyDad

Back in 1991 there were plans to change The Carousel of Progress into a Flying saucer attraction. The Project was canceled and then rumors of a Monsters Inc attraction started buzzing in the early 2000's and then an attraction based off of the Incredibles has been rumored since the movie came out in 2004. People have been posting countless rumors and plans for a replacement for COP on this site for well over a decade now. :wave:

Proof:
http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_chief1/b/jim_hill/archive/2002/08/19/265.aspx

Well I actually got a good laugh at that one. Jim Hill Media huh? LOL Anyway, if that is the proof you have that they are removing CoP then I flat out refute it and call BS. First, no one listens to Jim Hill and if they do then they ought to be seeing a fortune teller too. :lol: Second, they...are...not...going...to...be...closing...down...CoP. And on top of that, even if Jim Hill was someone that could be trusted to provide realistic information :) (Sorry, can't way that without a smile) that was 10 years ago. Wanna know what they've done to the attraction in that 10 years time? Changed the song, refurbished the look of the sign. Disney has said repeatedly that they have no plans to remove the attraction. The end.

I'm not sure if Disney has ever approached GE about sponsoring COP. I'd think that since they're so often linked to it anyway, it'd be good press. Especially if they were given some kind of display space (upstairs?) to show GE's new products, a history of the company and a history of the partnership with Disney.

I'd also love to see them just end the COP show at 2000. Do a kind of Century of Progress.

G00fyDad

I'm not sure if Disney has ever approached GE about sponsoring COP. I'd think that since they're so often linked to it anyway, it'd be good press. Especially if they were given some kind of display space (upstairs?) to show GE's new products, a history of the company and a history of the partnership with Disney.

I'd also love to see them just end the COP show at 2000. Do a kind of Century of Progress.
, I hate to tell you this but GE was the sponsor from 1975 to 1985. That'd be why there are so many GE references. :) The gear wheel with the CoP logo on it hanging in the theater has the old GE logo on it behind that one. ;)

G00fyDad

Right...

I know they were sponsors, I'm wondering if DIS has approached them about a NEW sponsorship.

Ahhh. Your other post didn't mention a new sponsorship. But I think it would be better to leave out sponsors on rides since it gives creative control to someone else. Look at the new Test Track ideas and you'll see what I mean. While I am in favor of those at TT I think it could have gone seriously wrong by allowing an outside company that much influence over a ride.

flavious27

Will there be a Carousel of Progress refurb in the future? Because the future scene is more like the 1990's than the future. The only thing I’ve seen updated was the TV in the future scene.So has anyone seen or heard anything about a refurb??? :confused:

I wouldn't be surprised that the final act becomes what Apple thinks the future will look like. I am sure that jobs scribbled something down one night and wdi is going to run with it. What was mentioned in that scene is starting to come out now. Voice activation, Siri. Virtual reality, well VR now but also 3d gaming and motion controlled gaming. Home automation is also in place, my company sells home security packages that allow you to control functions of your home with your cell phone.

Axle1986

I think they could get people in and out of there in 5 minutes. Just use sticks or something to poke people in the back and get them out of there.

The Carousel of Progress originally rotated clockwise (to the left) at both the world's fair and at disneyland. It can rotate in any direction. There are wheels and motors under each theatre. When the show left Disneyland, the theater was reprogrammed to go to anti clockwise when America Sings debuted, but it's always been counter clockwise in Florida. I have been on the ride where the carousel spins too much and the theater does move clockwise to readjust itself to the stage though.

The original load theater had wall to wall screens of colorful GE lights that "pulsed" and synced to music. They were called the Kaleidophonic screens.

s4b4o9.jpg

At walt disney parks and resorts "carousel of projects", they created a digital version of the kaleidophonic screens that synced to the original world's fair soundtrack that played in the load theater seen here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxgCDTa22ys

These are from the world's fair, but this is the unload theater with the speedramp. As said previously, there was a similar speedramp at Disneyland for the carousel of progress.

214zfrc.jpg

2h2p05s.jpg

THANKS for this post mate! I've always wondered about it changing to counter clockwise (by wathing videos of america sings, COP and reading about how the death of debra stone and information in posts about that.

The Kaleidophonic screens are pretty cool. It would be great if they could so something similar like what they did with the carousel of projects for the opening instead of just the curtain.......

Thanks for the info :sohappy:

Communicore

Has the grandpa always said "high def" or was that edited when they replaced that ancient projection TV with the flat screen HDTV? I also noticed the comp has been changed to a widescreen monitor.

WEDway1975

Sorry to bring up an old thread but, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything new about COP because COP is my favorite ride and I hate to see it get neglect and last time I saw the show it look like father was about let go of his head!!!!!!

Dismagic99

I love the idea of adding a new exhibit at the end that would be a futuristic home and the ride could stay the same and it could always stay up to date

Expo_Seeker40

My take on "fixing" the CoP decade issues:

1.) Restore the attraction to it's 1964 version. Obviously GE references will need to be removed. All audio and music is on master tapes. A new cast would need to be hired to read the script and sing the song.

2.) Act IV, currently the year 2000 as envisioned in 1994, should become the 1960s ending once again.

3.) Take the unload theater and turn it into Act V. This is a brand new "tomorrow" scene that can always be changed when needed.

4.) Use the load theater as the theater that guests load and unload from, similar to what is done at numerous other theaters on property i.e. philarmagic, etc.

5.) Create a backstory to fit into the tomorrowland community theme: The building looks like a flying saucer, so why can't a new pre show on bigger tv screens explain to guests that the tomorrowland metro retro historical society acquired the carousel of progress and is taking it on tour throughout the galaxy to show human life in the 20th century from a great visionary- Walt Disney, and that guests will be seeing the original show created by walt disney with an additional ending created by the TMRHS.

6.) Every so many years the new bonus ending/ Act V, is updated. A new cast is hired to read from the new script of that scene as well as the set-in-stone script for acts 1-4 so that their voices remain consistent throughout.

7.) Rover plush and merch.

imagineer boy

I think they need to change up some of the other scenes as well because it has a huge gap where it goes from the 1940s aaaalllll the way to the not-too-distant future. Here's what I feel they should do:

-Keep turn of the century the same
-Change 1920s to 1950's (even with the time changes, the same basic things happen in the acts)
-Change 1940s to either the 780s, 80s, or 90s.
-The obvious one is updating the not-too-distant future scene.

Expo_Seeker40

The thing is, if you change any of the original three scenes: turn of the century, 1920s, and 1940s…you will destroy the only things left from the show that walt disney worked on. The building in the attraction is housed in isn't original, nor is the theatre, or the animatronics, or the last scene. The three original scenes are the only things to have survived the journey from NY to CA, to FL, change them, and you chop away more of Walt in the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom