Carousel of Progress refurb?

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
As much as I'd like to see the "worlds fair" attractions in EPCOT, see the speedway demo'd, monsters & stitch in DHS (if you want to save them), buzz lightyear demo'd, space mtn majorly updated, these things will likely not be happening anytime soon.

Tomorrowland does need a major overhaul and it may possibly get it if the Tomorrowland movie is any kind of hit. Tomorrowland really had nothing to do with the future at this point. Even space mtn, which is the main attraction, seems out of date as a concept because most people have lost the huge interest that once existed regarding space travel (we have a been there done that mentality).

I believe they will continue to change things and some of our favorite attractions will close but the big thing I would like to see is more diversity in the parks. I don't feel we need multiple attractions for the same Disney movies (mermaid, toy story, etc). Disney has large # of stories they could tell and I think guests would respond better to new stories in parks as opposed to the same story told over and over.

And now... Back to COP!

Goofyernmost

Horizons closed because it lost its sponsor, as stated numerous times by insiders here. Any other "reasons" for its closure weren't really major contributing factors. A refurb similar to SSE '94 was planned in the mid 90's to bring it up to modern standards, but canceled when Disney found a new sponsor that demanded a different attraction be built. That was preferable to keeping a sponsor-less Horizons. I'm guessing something similar happened with Wonders of Life. It's also largely what happened recently with Maelstrom when Disney tried to coerce Norway into paying them off to keep the ride (it remained a consistently popular attraction until the day it closed, massively so when people learned of its demise).

I'm quite sure that if a new sponsor came along and demanded the closure of even a beloved and popular sponsor-less attraction (such as Pirates of the Caribbean), Disney would jump at the opportunity. Even if the proposed replacement sucked from a concept perspective and ended up being incredibly unpopular with guests (Disney would be perfectly content to have someone shouldering the budget and would ignore all the negative publicity). GM were the ones who dictated the closure of World of Motion in favor of Test Track, along with the "Tron" overhaul (which GM apparently paid for).
I think if one were to go just a little beyond what you said, it might be more clear. Yes, Horizon's lost it's sponsor, and yes, they did consider keeping it open (I think) with a slight facelift. However, the thing that drove first the decision that caused the loss of the original sponsor and then the decision to drop it to the ground in favor of a completely new attraction was because no one was going to see it anymore. There was a time when there was a very long line waiting to board. The long line moved fairly fast because it was a people eater, but, in it's final years it was a dead attraction with walk on... alone, status.

Lack of popularity killed it regardless of whom we tried to blame for it's end, it was the public that had lost interest and support. I shouldn't surprise anyone that since the public didn't seem to care at the time and someone was willing to help pay for a new attraction that it would be a no brainer. I do miss Horizons, but, I also enjoy Mission: Space. In some ways more then Horizons. We, as a group, hardly ever realize what we had until it is gone. Hardly anyone rode it before it was closed and then, once gone, all of a sudden there was no better attraction that ever existed on the face of the planet.

The Empress Lilly

I think if one were to go just a little beyond what you said, it might be more clear. Yes, Horizon's lost it's sponsor, and yes, they did consider keeping it open (I think) with a slight facelift. However, the thing that drove first the decision that caused the loss of the original sponsor and then the decision to drop it to the ground in favor of a completely new attraction was because no one was going to see it anymore. There was a time when there was a very long line waiting to board. The long line moved fairly fast because it was a people eater, but, in it's final years it was a dead attraction with walk on... alone, status.

Lack of popularity killed it regardless of whom we tried to blame for it's end, it was the public that had lost interest and support. I shouldn't surprise anyone that since the public didn't seem to care at the time and someone was willing to help pay for a new attraction that it would be a no brainer. I do miss Horizons, but, I also enjoy Mission: Space. In some ways more then Horizons. We, as a group, hardly ever realize what we had until it is gone. Hardly anyone rode it before it was closed and then, once gone, all of a sudden there was no better attraction that ever existed on the face of the planet.
Horizons also had an hourly capacity as high as Test Track and Soarin' combined, all cars and all theaters. Horizons, and by extention the whole of EPCOT, was phenomenal in that regard too. A product of the time when Disney sought to tackle lines and overcrowding with people-eating E-tix.

I sometimes wonder if precisely the lack of lengthy lines created a lack of lengthy lines, in its own right. The way that there being long lines produces long lines nowadays for rides such as Soarin' and Toy Story. Lines give a sense of popularity, create a hype, give a ride a buzz and the aura of a must-see.

Goofyernmost

Horizons also had an hourly capacity as high as Test Track and Soarin' combined, all cars and all theaters. Horizons, and by extention the whole of EPCOT, was phenomenal in that regard too. A product of the time when Disney sought to tackle lines and overcrowding with people-eating E-tix.

I sometimes wonder if precisely the lack of lengthy lines created a lack of lengthy lines, in its own right. The way that there being long lines produces long lines nowadays for rides such as Soarin' and Toy Story. Lines give a sense of popularity, create a hype, give a ride a buzz and the aura of a must-see.
In those early days they had Energy, Imagination, Spaceship Earth and WoM that were all massive people eaters and yet... long lines in almost all of them. I'm not talking about time in the line here, I'm talking about actual bodies wanting to ride it. From that to walk on after WoM had been transformed into a much slower board speaks volumes for it's ability to draw crowds anymore. Switch that around any way that makes one happy, but, it still equals the same thing. Highly Diminished attendance.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In those early days they had Energy, Imagination, Spaceship Earth and WoM that were all massive people eaters and yet... long lines in almost all of them. I'm not talking about time in the line here, I'm talking about actual bodies wanting to ride it. From that to walk on after WoM had been transformed into a much slower board speaks volumes for it's ability to draw crowds anymore. Switch that around any way that makes one happy, but, it still equals the same thing. Highly Diminished attendance.

All those things had essentially no lines during the slow periods (I used to go with my 3 season salute all the time during these times) and long lines during the busy periods (my family that lives down there used to go to EPCOT when it was routinely decorated for Christmas). They all did have long lines when the park opened. Horizons had long lines when the park was new and then fell into the same pattern. The vast majority of people I've talked to on WDW vacations don't really understand why Horizons is no more if they experienced the ride. It was quite simply the best dark ride ever built and not maintaining it and then destroying it was one of the biggest mistakes in themed entertainment history.

Goofyernmost

All those things had essentially no lines during the slow periods (I used to go with my 3 season salute all the time during these times) and long lines during the busy periods (my family that lives down there used to go to EPCOT when it was routinely decorated for Christmas). They all did have long lines when the park opened. Horizons had long lines when the park was new and then fell into the same pattern. The vast majority of people I've talked to on WDW vacations don't really understand why Horizons is no more if they experienced the ride. It was quite simply the best dark ride ever built and not maintaining it and then destroying it was one of the biggest mistakes in themed entertainment history.
I pretty much agree with what you said, but, I wouldn't rank it up that high. In my opinion, Spaceship Earth was the best. WoM was the best of those that are now gone, followed real closely by Imagination and then Horizons. To be honest, by the time it was gone I had grown very bored with it and used it like people today use Energy. A place to get into A/C and some rest for the feet. I think that is what happened to all of the Dark rides, but, it's not necessarily the specific Dark Ride that I miss, it's just the idea that there are so few REAL dark rides left. Those I do miss, no matter what the topic.

Anybody know if there isn't space in the load and unload for scenes? America Sings was 6 scenes, I really wonder if there couldn't be 6 in COP.

1890s>1920s>1940s>1960s>1980s>2020

If 6 is too long, drop out 60s or 80s, or merge the two. 70s?
That is horrible. What if the ride stopped between acts? Evaculation will happen.
The ongly change,that I need is bringing back the Kaleidophobic screen at load/unload scenes with 1985 fireworks spotlight.

Monorail_Red_77

So last week I get a juicy bit of info concerning COP. Nothing big. I have a friend that works as a contractor doing various electronic things. He is working on a new electronic piece that will replace the temp display on the oven in the final scene. So to figure how it all connects together the imagineers took him underneath COP. He was able to see the electric motors and the tracks that the theater turns on. He said it was amazing to see. Another fun fact. The refrigerator in the final scene is brand new. Last time they did the refurb on it I guess in the 90's, they basically took a brand new fridge and stuck it in there. He opened the fridge and said it still had cardboard and things wrapped in plastic. Even still had the owners manuals inside. Kinda cool.

Last edited:

JassiSidhu2000

Would be great if they put some beds in here.

It's the place i usually go to get some afternoon sleep. Hardly ever anyone in there, so i lie down and get some sleep.

I think Load and Unload theaters could have a brief scene each.

Load - 1901 (Valentine's Day)
Scene 1 - May 1927 (Mother's Day)
Scene 2 - July 1955 (4th of July)
Scene 3 - October 1976 (Halloween)
Scene 4 - December 1999 (New Year's Eve)
Unload - 2020 (Not Specific/No Holiday)

I'd like to see the 1900 and 1920s scenes remain the same, but update the 1940s scene to be 1955 so Father could exclaim how he heard that Walt Disney wants to create a theme park and how it would never work. I think 1976 would be a great way to see how much we advanced with electronics and computers from 1955 through the 60s. The 70s were so iconic anyways for a lot of reasons. I think the scene could look similar to the set of "All in the Family". 1999 with the dawn of the new millennium is perfect to set up the future and end the 20th century. The 90s scene could be redone to look similar to the "Home Improvement" set. The final future scene could look similar to the Nova City scene in Horizons except updated to reflect more of a current futuristic look rather than 80s future.

I like this idea but some of them arent agree with. Unload scene should have New Year's Eve while Scene Four should have mix of 1964 and future scene. Load should has kaleidophobic screens with fireworks from 1975 version, while unload have speedramp with far future version before a door open to reveal a speed ramp.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom