Carousel of Progress refurb?

lazyboy97o

Updating just the final scene is a bad idea in my book. It would only further the gap between it and the prior scene. The other scenes are all separated by approximately 20 years, and the final scene should return to following this pattern by either going completely classic or, preferably, updating the entire show.

Expo_Seeker40

1.) If you update the final scene the gap between the 40s and the future gets much longer.

a.) you leave the big gap

b.) you take out some of the older scenes, but by doing so you destroy and/or remove the only things left in the show made when walt disney was still alive and had insight into the attraction's creation.

2.) You take the last scene and make it retro.

a.) disney will never have to worry about updating the ride again

b.) it may seem fun at first, for a ride that is about showing how far we have come, this may be beyond boring to the average guest to see the show ending in the 60s

3.) You take the unload theater and turn it into a stage. The audience then files through one door into the remaining load theater, while audience members exit out the other door. It can be done in 5 minutes. The original ending is put back in act 4, while a bonus ending is used in what has become act 5. This is the tomorrowland metro retro society's vision of the future and it can always be changed when need be. Basically guests ride the walt disney version and then catch a glimpse into the future. A new cast of voices would be needed regardless.

Expo_Seeker40

here's the old ending by the way....

2j647ew.jpg

G00fyDad

WOW. This is perfect! I wish they would bring this back! It fits chronologically. I LOVE IT!!

In the top left corner you can see where on of the old, circular rotating scenes would have fit. Like the other 3 scenes have.

I agree. I would love to see this part revert back to this setup. Tomorrowland isn't really about tomorrow anyway. It's more about a fantasy version of what we think of as tomorrow. The original version was much better. :)

Scuttle

My issue with changing act 4 in efforts to modernize it is two-fold.

First, because of the previous attempts to modernize the show, the flow from act to act is odd jumping 60 years from the 1940s to 2000-ish after acts one through three only being 20-year jumps. To push act four even further into the future would mean something like a 100 year jump, and I can't believe that would flow at all from a storytelling standpoint.

But more importantly, I don't see how it is important for the Carousel of Progress to be some kind of "window to the future" any longer. Does ANYONE see the show to get a sneak peek into the future of home appliances? Some people like the music, others see it as special because it is one of Walt's attractions, others like taking a nap out of the sun and heat, but I suspect very few have EVER looked to the Carousel as a source of futurism. The first three acts were always a classic Disney-style "fond look back", so it isn't like the attraction hasn't been trading on guest nostalgia from day one anyway.

I would much rather see the show restored to look and sound as close to what Walt actually built as much as possible and leave the future guesswork for other more logical locations. Regardless of Walt's original intentions, the nostalgia we have for the parks and our wishing to have stronger connections to attractions Walt helped develop is far stronger and more important than continuing to tear apart an original, classic attraction.

Yes it is completely ironic, but in this case I think progress is the last thing the Carousel of Progress actually needs.

I agree, going from the 1940's to the 2040's would seem a little bit odd.

BalooChicago

Anybody know if there isn't space in the load and unload for scenes? America Sings was 6 scenes, I really wonder if there couldn't be 6 in COP.

1890s>1920s>1940s>1960s>1980s>2020

If 6 is too long, drop out 60s or 80s, or merge the two. 70s?

Expo_Seeker40

currently:

load theater, 1890s or 1900s, 1920s, 1940s, the year 2000 (created in 1994), unload theater

what could happen:

dual load and unload theater, 1890s or 1900s, 1920s, 1940s, 1970s, 2020

yes, if they use the stage for the unload theater they could do it

Expo_Seeker40

The show relies on every scene being the same length in time, so that the entire carousel can move, if we used curtains each show scene would be quite long, causing about a 40 minute show, which few people will want to ride.

iceman22

Original Poster
dual load and unload theater, 1890s or 1900s, 1920s, 1940s, 1970s, 2020

yes, if they use the stage for the unload theater they could do it

I like this idea because it doesn't have a really big gap between the 40's & the future scene like the current version.

rct247

I think Load and Unload theaters could have a brief scene each.

Load - 1901 (Valentine's Day)
Scene 1 - May 1927 (Mother's Day)
Scene 2 - July 1955 (4th of July)
Scene 3 - October 1976 (Halloween)
Scene 4 - December 1999 (New Year's Eve)
Unload - 2020 (Not Specific/No Holiday)

I'd like to see the 1900 and 1920s scenes remain the same, but update the 1940s scene to be 1955 so Father could exclaim how he heard that Walt Disney wants to create a theme park and how it would never work. I think 1976 would be a great way to see how much we advanced with electronics and computers from 1955 through the 60s. The 70s were so iconic anyways for a lot of reasons. I think the scene could look similar to the set of "All in the Family". 1999 with the dawn of the new millennium is perfect to set up the future and end the 20th century. The 90s scene could be redone to look similar to the "Home Improvement" set. The final future scene could look similar to the Nova City scene in Horizons except updated to reflect more of a current futuristic look rather than 80s future.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom