Carousel of Progress - NEW Rumor...

What should be done with Carousel of Progress?

• The attraction should stay open as is.

Votes: 89 21.0%
  • The attraction should be made seasonal again.

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • The attraction should be given an It's a Small World-style rehab.

Votes: 210 49.5%
  • The script should be rewritten and the show should be updated featuring new technology.

Votes: 153 36.1%
  • The attraction should be refreshed and moved to Epcot.

Votes: 80 18.9%
  • The attraction should shut down forever.

Votes: 15 3.5%
  • The attraction should move back to Disneyland.

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Other: Discuss!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

General Grizz

Original Poster
matt88mph said:
Didn't CoP recently break the record as the longest running stage show in American history?

If that's so, why get rid of it now?
It's the longest running stage show in the history of American theatre... the preshow states that it's been seen by more people than any other stage show. This information was prominently made public in 1993 when the latest rehab occurred.

Kwit35

Didn't have time to read all posts so I apologize if this was already mentioned.
If it is indeed the structure of the building, and they need to redo it, I think they should move it to Epcot. My dream would be for them to build a completely new ride and bring back our favorite scenes from Horizons, WOM, and COP. They could easily incorporate all three rides into one script. Use a JII type beginning to maintain the COP style show. After you leave the COP segment, you move into the future (combining scenes from WOM and Horizons).
Just a thought.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
General Grizz said:
I agree that it should still exist SOMEWHERE... and if Disney is looking for park space to put a new attraction, well, they've had a giant expanse called '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea' sitting barren over over a decade... ;)
i just cant see it outside MK, but i guess in EPCOT or STUDIOS........... that just doesnt seem right though, but id rather have it ANYWHERE then completely gone.

matt88mph said:
Didn't CoP recently break the record as the longest running stage show in American history?
i think so..... if i remember correctly.

General Grizz

Original Poster
objr said:
Like the ones at all the fairs, that have recently been on the news, for the accidents?
Disney has probably designed new ride mechanisms . . . I would assume a giant "claw" would drop from the ceiling. . . :lookaroun

Of course, this idea could also be planned for the TIMEKEEPER. . . the five-year plans for WDI are being formulated right about now...

Shaman

General Grizz said:
Disney has probably designed new ride mechanisms . . . I would assume a giant "claw" would drop from the ceiling. . . :lookaroun

Of course, this idea could also be planned for the TIMEKEEPER. . . the five-year plans for WDI are being formulated right about now...

I say stick it in Timekeeper and incorporate Timekeeper into CoP...to have some kind of mega attraction...about progress through time...hmm...

:lookaroun :brick: :(

(I'll go sit back in my little corner)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
To say that this rumor distresses me is an understatement. To say that it makes me furious is... well, an understatement. There is no reason that CoP could not be updated, rehabbed, etc. If money is their only reason for closure, then I say off with their heads! :fork: :lookaroun

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
objr said:
I say stick it in Timekeeper and incorporate Timekeeper into CoP...to have some kind of mega attraction...about progress through time...hmm...

:lookaroun :brick: :(

(I'll go sit back in my little corner)

Interesting idea.... :)

donald23

IMO, if COP is going to be shutdown at MK, then they should move it to EPCOT and give it an IASW-type rehab. It has always been a classic at MK and kind of like a staple Disney ride.

Sherm00

as much as I love the COP it's really starting to show it's age, not only in show but mechanics of the ride. it's probubly getting very costly to keep it even operational. They should re-write the scrip keeping walts origional IDEA about technology through the ages. then completely redo the entire attraction from the ground up in EPCOT. either as a carasel or something ala the universe of energy where the stage is mega huge and splits as you go through technology from past to present. Walt new that his parks will be in constant change. i thin walt would be furiated that the COP is there exactly they way it was back when he opened it. he would have added new scenes and changed it as technology changed. Walt was always updateing, always making things new and exciting. what he WOULDN'T change is the Idea behind it.

maxime29

Premium Member
I still like my idea about giving it a 4D effect rehab. With the shows like HISTA, Bugs, Muppets, etc.. make some of the effects around the audience. Maybe add sort of a lightning effect above the audience when the rain comes and the clothes are still out on the line.

pat in the hat

Laura22 said:
Something I really loved about Disney as a kid were all the "progress" rides....Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, and Carousel of Progress. The Carousel of Progress was great about 10 years ago, but now it's rather outdated. I would love a new script and some updates with new technology, but I bet it won't happen.

I don't believe COP fits in the Magic Kingdom at all. It would have fit in great at Epcot before they removed WOM and Horizons. Now the only "progress" ride left is SSE and there's already talk about renovating that as well. That just makes me sad. Ever since I was a kid I've loved seeing the way technology has changed over the years on these Disney attractions. It's a shame that all the rides with educational value are disappearing.

My sentiments exactly!

In this day-and-age of bigger/faster/higher/farther rides, I wouldn't expect CoP to have any where near the highest attendance numbers. But, if it still boasts strong numbers, I would suggest it is the type of educational experience that makes Disney better than the other parks. Quite honestly, I would expect the "seasonal" nature of the ride to cause some of the lower attendance numbers when it is actually open . . . if it is closed so often, people might not bother to see if it has re-opened on their next visit!

I do think that it needs some re-hab. I don't really care if it is moved to Epcot or not, as long as it stays!

sabian

If COP closed and was replaced with anything but a cutting edge, tomorrowland, futuristic, innovative, non-roller coaster attraction, I would have a full-on huge, mega ton, cow....I love the attraction...I would hate to see it go. But, understanding costs and attendance, if they did close it, it had better be worth it... I mean, Buzz lightyear is nice, but, that attraction needs to address TOMORROWLAND as Walt envisioned it........As a look to tomorrow....not the next animated movie......i am getting the shakes here people......... :mad:

dxwwf3

I would hope that the CoP would get a nice rehab with a new show and maybe a return to "Now Is The Time". But I would definately want it to stay in the Magic Kingdom. If they move it then that would make one less adult-based attraction in the park. And Lord knows that there is a big enough shortage as it is. But if the CoP was moved to Epcot, then would it kill them to put a non-Character based, adult themed attraction in it's place? It probably would, but we can still dream.

Bobb G

While I agree that attractions need updating once in a while, there are times some things need total refurbishments...CoP being one.

I think modernizing the technology is in order, but to close it for good? NO! As someone noted earlier, Disney seems to want to go the way of more "Cedar Point" rides...faster and higher roller coasters. That's not what makes WDW what it is.

WDW...and DL are unique and should remain that way. Why can't progress happen while keeping the charm of the old??? We're going to be in WDW July 4 - 13 and I think this will be it for a long while.

We were there in 2003 and I'm not really happy with some of the changes going on. Maybe in another 5 to 10 years when I return, they'll have their act together, which in my opinion they really don't.

tazhughes

Kwit35 said:
Didn't have time to read all posts so I apologize if this was already mentioned.
If it is indeed the structure of the building, and they need to redo it, I think they should move it to Epcot. My dream would be for them to build a completely new ride and bring back our favorite scenes from Horizons, WOM, and COP. They could easily incorporate all three rides into one script. Use a JII type beginning to maintain the COP style show. After you leave the COP segment, you move into the future (combining scenes from WOM and Horizons).
Just a thought.

I like this idea. Make it a ride through and have the family showing the progress through the ages including seeing scenes of them outdoors driving, washing, or standing near their cars/mode of transportation with a continuous narration throughout about how their lives are progressing right past today into the future and dump you at the end into innoventions with a message about how progress is constant and today's dreams are tommorrow's innoventions. This would allow them to tie that all together would a consistent theme and still allow them to keep all the new technology out there for people to mess around with. Innoventions would make a nice post show.

waltdisny

I'd hate to see anything bad happen to CoP. I'd like to see it return to Disneyland with a rehab as opposed to dismantling it.

Disassembly, or changing it significantly would be akin to drawing a hat on the Mona Lisa: it would deface a great work of art.

waltdisny

tazhughes said:
I like this idea. Make it a ride through and have the family showing the progress through the ages including seeing scenes of them outdoors driving, washing, or standing near their cars/mode of transportation with a continuous narration throughout about how their lives are progressing right past today into the future and dump you at the end into innoventions with a message about how progress is constant and today's dreams are tommorrow's innoventions. This would allow them to tie that all together would a consistent theme and still allow them to keep all the new technology out there for people to mess around with. Innoventions would make a nice post show.

Hmm, that sounds familiar....Wait, I know, it was called Horizons! but the cars are also familiar, hmm....World of Motion! That was it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom