Carousel of Progress Minor Refurb in 2014

Goofyernmost

Except that it takes up an incredibly valuable piece of real estate that could be used to actually draw guests to the park and could get thousands of people through its turnstyles rather than the hundreds it gets now.

That said, it probably won't go anywhere knowing how cheap TDO is. CoP is more than likely just going to get the usually cleaning every couple of years until TDO decides to redo all of Tomorowland (which desperately, desperately needs it). As long as Stitch and MILF is still around, CoP is safe.
They have enough space on property to move all of Manhattan there, I can see absolutely no need to get rid of ANY attraction to add another. It isn't taking up space that is anymore valuable they any other square inch on the property.

Ignohippo

They have enough space on property to move all of Manhattan there, I can see absolutely no need to get rid of ANY attraction to add another. It isn't taking up space that is anymore valuable they any other square inch on the property.

Nonsense. There's very little land left in Tomorrowland for a major attraction unless they get rid of something. The only plot left is the old theater/current parking lot, but I personally hope that will someday be used for an expansion/connector to Main Street.

Goofyernmost

Nonsense. There's very little land left in Tomorrowland for a major attraction unless they get rid of something. The only plot left is the old theater/current parking lot, but I personally hope that will someday be used for an expansion/connector to Main Street.
Nonsense? Really? There is more land wasted in and around MK then you can even imagine. DL has more things to do and the space they do it in is considerably smaller and does have no place to go. I think they can put quite a few more things in there if they want too. I have no doubt.

nytimez

Nonsense? Really? There is more land wasted in and around MK then you can even imagine. DL has more things to do and the space they do it in is considerably smaller and does have no place to go. I think they can put quite a few more things in there if they want too. I have no doubt.

Indeed. And don't forget the massive waste of space in Tomorrowland known as the Speedway. It's also noisy and smelly. And has a much bigger footprint than the CoP.

TP2000

Let's take the ending of the CoP back to the 1960's!! It's more futuristic!

It truly was. I love this old line from the 1960's CoP at the World's Fair and Disneyland;

Mother: “Now far off to your right, we have a welcome neighbor...”
Father: “Our GE nuclear power plant, dear."

Ah, General Electric, bringing good things to life from a toaster oven in our kitchen to a nuclear power plant on the edge of town.

Of course, if Disney got a new corporate sponsor and returned the Carousel of Progress to its original Walt Disney approved format as a splashy stage show designed to sell toaster ovens and dish washers and nuclear power plants for the sponsor, most folks today would scream bloody murder. But I would enjoy it, and maybe a few other old codgers in the back row.

At the very least though, they should replace the carpet and re-upholster the seats in the theaters. The thing looks horrible.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
South of SM is a designated E ticket plot. Just saying'. Even if its a bit wet at the moment.

Victor Kelly

I think the ending needs to be changed to the future that never was as well. It will become dated over a longer period of time. While not a big steampunk fan, I can see it being used effectively.

Ignohippo

Yes, in MK, but not in Tomorrowland.

Ignohippo

Indeed. And don't forget the massive waste of space in Tomorrowland known as the Speedway. It's also noisy and smelly. And has a much bigger footprint than the CoP.

As I said, WITHOUT removing anything there isn't much land left in TL to expand.

As for the Speedway, it's probably 100x more popular than CoP. If you had to make a choice between the two, CoP would have to be the one to go (of course Stitch would be my first choice though).

But I do agree with you completely, if they could build the same kind of attraction elsewhere (like CarsLand at DHS), then the Speedway plot is probably the very best land on property for redevelopment. They could do amazing things with that land for both FL and TL.

doctornick

South of SM is a designated E ticket plot. Just saying'. Even if its a bit wet at the moment.

Could you tell us what other expansion plots exit for MK? I know there is a big one behind PotC (the old Fire Mountain plot). Is there anything in Frontierland (and how would it be accessed?). Anything else near Fantasyland?

Incidentally, this TL plot you are talking about is different from the plot at the site of the old theater and currently used for parking, right?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Really Marni? I could see the land to the north of it being suitable for expansion, but the area south seems to be water runoff. I can't see them being able to build there.
Really. Remember the retention pond used to be where Space Mountain now is. It is designated to be built on. Here is the never realised 1980 Tomorrowland phase three proposal:

image.jpg

Plus there's the management lot (that they stole from the theatre)

Other "easy" designated areas are north east outside the berm, and behind BTM (once again outside the berm and beyond the canal)

The small space between the CP and Treehouse (originally planned to be an Adventureland restaurant connected to the CP kitchen complex) is really beyond use now with backstage and JC maintainence. There is space south of the PoTC show building but it'd need an Indy style access arrangement. South of Splash you have AVAC and parade storage making it not that viable. Long term there's north of Fantasyland but that area is not easy to build on since it was never properly prepared for use.

If anything Tomorrowland has the most designated expansion space in one land.

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

Just rerecord Judy Jetson's lines in the finale scene and replace car phone with cellphone and give Grandma and the son an Oculus Rift headset and there you go.

wolf359

Well, with Disneyland having the original Star Tours, more Star Wars going there at least makes sense. Considering how much of their 1998 make-over was a disaster that left much of the land gutted I've consider anything new an improvement, even EO becoming a blatant (and possibly permanent) commercial for the series of upcoming films.

Now, adding Star Wars to the Magic Kingdom's Tomorrowland? That is an option I'm significantly less happy about.

I've been pleased that most of the smaller changes that have hit Tomorrowland in the last few years seem to be turning the clock back toward 1975's look and style I'd hate to see that work get abandoned mid-stream in favor of just throwing in some Star Wars theming. My biggest complaint about the 1994 overhaul is they spent the entire budget on the entry and left the back half to get by on paint and a couple cogwheels. I think adding Star Wars would cause a similar half-theming job.

Considering that many of the most recent rehabs throughout the Magic Kingdom have been pretty retro (Hall of Presidents, Tiki Room, Peoplemover, Country Bears) I'd like to see the Carousel get a similar makeover. Going back to the World's Fair ending would be a nice choice to celebrate the attraction's 50th anniversary but wouldn't even mind the Now Is The Time version either if they didn't want to turn the clock back quite as far as 1964.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom