Carousel of progress closed (?)

askmike1

NemoRocks78 said:
I wonder what Roy thinks about this....I don't believe he's really ever mentioned it on his site....
You want to know why? Because Roy doesn't care about the Disney Company, all he wants is Eisner out.

-Michael

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Pixie Duster said:
Which is exactly why everyone should respect those of us that love CoP even if you do not love or even like it yourself, but hey whatever.

Actually CoP is one of my favorite attractions, along with Hall of Presidents and Country Bear......

tigger248

I love CoP! It better be open when I'm there in November (I think it probably will though since I'm missing SGE opening by a day). I'll join the protest (if there is one) to keep CoP open in November. WDW should definitely honor Walt's wishes by keeping it open. If Walt said that he wanted CoP to always be in a Disney park, then that's where it needs to stay. Period.

jbeeching

The Aging of the Magic Kingdom...

We were there last weekend (and had to cut the trip short because of the hurricane- thanks Jeanne) and went to Magic Kingdom. Stitches Great Escape wasn't open (expected that) and Carousel of Progress was (also expected). What WAS unexpected was how poor a condition the ride was: seats broken; creaky noises thruout; and an odor that I could only equate to a Bus Station restroom. I've lived in Florida since 1974 and actually worked my first job at the Magic Kingdom (summer of 1980 in the dearly departed Magic Shop on Main Street)- I don't EVER remember watching an attraction fall as hard as Carousel has...

I loved seeing it (I would guess for one last time), but enough is enough. I miss old attractions there (I have fond memories of all of them- for some reason The Walt Disney Story being especially endearing) and hope that maybe they'll use an area to honor the old Attractions there. I know of a great place just outside of Space Mountain that would be PERFECT for that...

Jeff

General Grizz

jbeeching said:
We were there last weekend (and had to cut the trip short because of the hurricane- thanks Jeanne) and went to Magic Kingdom. Stitches Great Escape wasn't open (expected that) and Carousel of Progress was (also expected). What WAS unexpected was how poor a condition the ride was: seats broken; creaky noises thruout; and an odor that I could only equate to a Bus Station restroom. I've lived in Florida since 1974 and actually worked my first job at the Magic Kingdom (summer of 1980 in the dearly departed Magic Shop on Main Street)- I don't EVER remember watching an attraction fall as hard as Carousel has...

I loved seeing it (I would guess for one last time), but enough is enough. I miss old attractions there (I have fond memories of all of them- for some reason The Walt Disney Story being especially endearing) and hope that maybe they'll use an area to honor the old Attractions there. I know of a great place just outside of Space Mountain that would be PERFECT for that...

Jeff
I know nothing of the smell, it could perhaps be a result of hurricane damage/leak?

And CoP's condition IS NOT a reason to close it. Rather, it is a reason to SPRUCE IT UP. :)

AND WELCOME to WDWMAGIC! :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I am unable to get a real clear indication from the messages above. Is CoP actually slated to be closed permenantly, or just when stitch opens to maybe refurbish it...can anyone clarify?

General Grizz

hakunamatata said:
I am unable to get a real clear indication from the messages above. Is CoP actually slated to be closed permenantly, or just when stitch opens to maybe refurbish it...can anyone clarify?
It WILL go down when Stitch opens, according to offical documents.

It is uncertain whether it is permanent. We will have a CLOSE eye on this one.

askmike1

Refurb...

CoP is slated, once Stitch opens, to go through a refurb in which the audio and seats will be replaced and your general maintainence. In addition, plasma screens should be up (in the queue). CoP is then supposed to open and remain open until at least the end of the (2005) year... according to several websites.
I agree that the smell was probabably due to the hurricane as it has never smelled when I went on it. (Rain and Carpeting doesn't go to well together)

-Michael

General Grizz

askmike1 said:
CoP is slated, once Stitch opens, to go through a refurb in which the audio and seats will be replaced and your general maintainence. In addition, plasma screens should be up (in the queue). CoP is then supposed to open and remain open until at least the end of the (2005) year... according to several websites.
I agree that the smell was probabably due to the hurricane as it has never smelled when I went on it. (Rain and Carpeting doesn't go to well together)

-Michael
Where did you hear about this audio?

The TV screens and seat frames have already been replaced. . .

NemoRocks78

Seized
General Grizz said:
Where did you hear about this audio?

The TV screens and seat frames have already been replaced. . .

Will all of the televisions be replaced? There are still some old versions up, infact I think the only plasma screens were up by the entrance into the theater.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Given that state of cost control at the Disney Co., I would highly doubt they would do too much refurb if CoP were going to stay open only until 2005. If there is any significant work done, I think it would be a sign that the attraction is remaining open for a significant amount of time....just my opinion, and it and $2.50 will by you a 20oz coke at MK.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom