Carousel of progress closed (?)

netenyahoo

Heresy!!!! ;)

I am kind of in the middle on this. I wish they would keep COP because I like it, but I understand that the park is not a museum. I wish it would get a good refurb and update. If they determine that it is too costly and not bringing in good numbers than something needs to be done. I just hope that the show continues somewhere intact. If it was sent to the Smithsonian or somewhere that would be cool too as long as it continues operating.

Not CoP! I refuse to accept the closure of this classic piece of Disney history. Where else in the world can you watch a show while revolving around the stage? Plus, if it was a wish of Walt Disney himself and can possibly carried out, it should be. Some things should be above budgets...like principles.

I get goosebumps in CoP. Of all the places in the park, I feel Mr. Disney's presence there the most. Every effort should be made to keep it open.

askmike1

SirNim said:
The concept of progress isn't relevant anymore.

Neither is Walt Disney.

Gut the darned ride, send it to a musuem, and add something FUN to that corner of Tomorrowland!
I'm sensing a little sarcasm here (just a little).

Anyway, I think that the ride should stay as it is a great ride for all ages. I guess the WDC could turn the words of Progress around saying that change here is good (I disagree though).

From the moment CoP and Timekeeper reopened when AE went down, I had a feeling which would stay and which wouldn't. It is little clues that helped me figure this out. Take for example the 'gears' in front of CoP, and notice that the year says 2004. Now, stroll into Timekeeper and check out the 'present' year...it says 2000. WDW opened Timekeeper because AE is down and to help with crowds. They reopened CoP because it is a great ride.

-Michael

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
askmike1 said:
It is little clues that helped me figure this out. Take for example the 'gears' in front of CoP, and notice that the year says 2004. Now, stroll into Timekeeper and check out the 'present' year...it says 2000. WDW opened Timekeeper because AE is down and to help with crowds. They reopened CoP because it is a great ride.

-Michael
It is little clues that lead you in the exact opposite direction.

Like the fact that Timekeeper only says 2000 because the Twin Towers are featured in the film.

prberk

Still hope that COP can stay open, but most of all I would like to see it updated (continuously). It is still a good concept. And I know many young people (teens and children) who enjoy it.

Griz, you have said on several occasions that Walt Disney personally requested that the company keep this attraction open. Can you provide context to these remarks, or perhaps the exact quote? I would like to know the context.

Thank you,
Paul

General Grizz

prberk said:
Griz, you have said on several occasions that Walt Disney personally requested that the company keep this attraction open. Can you provide context to these remarks, or perhaps the exact quote? I would like to know the context.

I'm working on it. I first heard about it from Cast Members (who said it secretly. . . wonder if they were told not to promote it?), but started posting it when Dave Smith of the Walt Disney Archives confirmed that it was the "only attraction he told his Imagineers to keep open in his parks as long as they existed."

NEW NEWS: FROM OFFICIAL MK DOCUMENTS:

"Carousel of Progress operates seasonally - will operate until Stitch's Great Escape! opens. Please refer to Magic Kingdom Park Times Guide."

General Grizz

FamilyMan said:
That's old news... CoP isn't even listed any longer on the MK Times Guide!
That's because it hasn't been seasonal since last September, so as a regular attraction, there was no need to list it on Times Guide. (And it was open ALL day, no reduced hours!!)

We'll see what happens in November. You know where I stand, and if they try to pull anything, they will definitely get our response and hear us out.

General Grizz

FamilyMan said:
Well, that's good news... Hopefully CoP will continue to stay off of the Times Guide in November. :)
SEE ABOVE: "Carousel of Progress operates seasonally - will operate until Stitch's Great Escape! opens. Please refer to Magic Kingdom Park Times Guide."

:(

FamilyMan

Account Suspended
Maybe if I go and steal all the times guides then CoP will remain open...

After all, it's the Times Guides that decide if an attraction is open or not, right? LOL

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think if the decide that the CoP should close, then in order not to discriminate that the King Arthur Carrosel (sp) should close as well.... :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:

DisneyMemories

hakunamatata said:
I think if the decide that the CoP should close, then in order not to discriminate that the King Arthur Carrosel (sp) should close as well.... :drevil: :drevil: :drevil:
Well lets not get carried away here,i hated to see 20k close and disapear,but COP has been there awhile and with effort will probally remain,but if it should close its another reason disney needs to elect a new president/ceo who thinks the way mr.walt disney did and restores disney to it former glory .(clean restrooms,streets,rust free rails,perserving old attractions)May the voice of the people who love disney voice their minds and prayersand be heard,and may GOD'S wisdom be with board of disney when they vote in a new president/ceo in 2006.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
DisneyMemories said:
Well lets not get carried away here,i hated to see 20k close and disapear,but COP has been there awhile and with effort will probally remain,but if it should close its another reason disney needs to elect a new president/ceo who thinks the way mr.walt disney did and restores disney to it former glory .(clean restrooms,streets,rust free rails,perserving old attractions)May the voice of the people who love disney voice their minds and prayersand be heard,and may GOD'S wisdom be with board of disney when they vote in a new president/ceo in 2006.

You said 20k :( , my favorite ride gone. Replaced with a grotto.....

Pixie Duster

hakunamatata said:
You said 20k :( , my favorite ride gone. Replaced with a grotto.....

Which is exactly why everyone should respect those of us that love CoP even if you do not love or even like it yourself, but hey whatever.

phichi17

Save CoP!!

I cannot believe what I am seeing. If the company decides to shutter CoP permenantly, they might as well rip Walt's statue from in front of CC out too. Why are they trying to remove Disney from Disney?

General Grizz

phichi17 said:
I cannot believe what I am seeing. If the company decides to shutter CoP permenantly, they might as well rip Walt's statue from in front of CC out too. Why are they trying to remove Disney from Disney?
Because they can, and because they can think they can make some money.

It's sick.

General Grizz

NemoRocks78 said:
I wonder what Roy thinks about this....I don't believe he's really ever mentioned it on his site....
I'm sure SaveDisney cares, but have not mentioned it as it has been open for a year now. Once we get rolling, our efforts may appear on there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom