Carousel of progress closed (?)

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Very disturbed by the Jim Hill article. I noticed the CoP not being in the latest Birnbaum's. If it were being rehabbed, wouldn't it be included and the rehab noted? I also noticed that WoL is described at "extremely popular, when running". I haven't considered Birnbaum's to be completely objective since Steve died, but one has to wonder why that line would be thrown in there for an attraction that management seems bent on closing.

FWIW, I take more of what Mr. Hill writes with a grain of salt these days. Something about his commentary in the past 4-6 months has put me off.

Expo_Seeker40

Damn Disney Corp if this happens! :fork: I won't be sad if Timekeeper closes, cause we still have circlevision films, but if they dare close the carousel of progress for good and scrap it, then whoa Disney has finally met its doom. They would have totally destoryed WALT DISNEY: THE MAN WHO GAVE US SO MUCH AND HOPE AS CHILDREN, HIS MOST FAVORITE RIDE! :eek:

I've already sad enough before about my feelings about the Disney Corp, tomorrowlan's direct, and the carousel of progress.

Roy Disney better jump on this. He hardly ever talks about WDW. He needs to send out emails, or whatever he can do to help save his Uncle's most favorite ride.

If Disney has the insanity to scrap this ride then they better just give it to a museum, wether it be the Smithsonian or New York State Museum. My god the NYS Museum is so huge, there must be room in it for the carousel of progress. Hell, the many many childrens and rec groups that go there would deffinatly be drawn into this attraction.

Oh well we still have mouseplanet and Disney spokespersons saying they wont tear down the ride. Eisner would be really stupid if he has the carousel of progress scrapped.

He DOES have to overlook that, as he will personally ride in one of the now resotred yellow submarines in California's Disneyland sometime either toward this week or in October. If he approves, California's Disneyland will once again have their submarine voyage back in tomorrowland, with of course Nemo the fish

togasports

LSUxStitch said:
Great ride, i rode it over the summer in june and it was open everyday.....BUT no air-conditioning!!! only breeze you got was when it rotated...and lemme tell ya it was like an oven in there..lol...but i still sang ;)......and fanned myself at the same time..lol ;)

Its the new effect: You feel like you are in Scene 2 the 20's. All you need now is a fan with Ice :sohappy: :sohappy:

togasports

Expo_Seeker40 said:
If Disney has the insanity to scrap this ride then they better just give it to a museum, wether it be the Smithsonian or New York State Museum. My god the NYS Museum is so huge, there must be room in it for the carousel of progress. Hell, the many many childrens and rec groups that go there would deffinatly be drawn into this attraction.

As much as I would hate to see It go, if it was at the NYS Museum I could Ride it everyday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Expo_Seeker40

LOL so could I!!! :lol: :sohappy:

The NYS Museum would make sense in that it is a huge building, there is alot of unused space, the floors are far more thick and durable at the NYS Museum, since the carousel of progress was originally on the second floor of the very temporary built GE Pavilion for the world's fair.

That way the Carousel of Progress could be a permanent addition. I mean if they could restore it back to it's 1964 state with the help of modern technology, I don't see why the show would continue to be a success, escpeially with the numerous advertising the NYS Museum does along with the many activities that happrn at the Empire State Plaza all year round.

GE headquarters are nearby in Schenectady. I don't see why they or another bi corporation in Albany wouldn't sponsor the ride for some time, since mnay things in Albany have sponsors.

I think if Disney decided to scrap the CoP thye better think about museum alternatives. HAHA togasports and I and anyone else can go ride it if it goes to the museum. :hammer:

KaliSplash

HauntedPirate said:
Very disturbed by the Jim Hill article. I noticed the CoP not being in the latest Birnbaum's. If it were being rehabbed, wouldn't it be included and the rehab noted? I also noticed that WoL is described at "extremely popular, when running". I haven't considered Birnbaum's to be completely objective since Steve died, but one has to wonder why that line would be thrown in there for an attraction that management seems bent on closing.

FWIW, I take more of what Mr. Hill writes with a grain of salt these days. Something about his commentary in the past 4-6 months has put me off.

Neither COP nor Timekeeper were in the 2004 Birnbaum and may have been missing from 2003, as well, if I remember correctly. But they were still rolling when we were there in July. I think they should keep both open!!

TXMICKEYFAN

I was at WDW all week this last week. CoP was open for sure. It was closed for about half a day because of problems. Once we were on, it still had problems starting after the intro. but once they worked it out, it worked seamless. It is in need of a rehab badly. I so hope they don't take it down perm.

Hey guys - just joined a few days ago; trip planned for May 2005...but what's all this about COP being closed once Stitch is up and running? It's seriously been one of my favorite rides ever since our first visit in '88. Anyone have more details on the future of the ride? They aren't going to PERMENANTLY close it, are they?:p

General Grizz

Jim Hill reports today that Disney wants CoP out by January 2006, and that Timekeeper would bite the dust when Stitch opens.

DISNEY MANAGEMENT, YOU ARE SKATING ON THIN ICE WITH THIS BEAR.

askmike1

What Jim Hill said, for now must be taken as a rumor. He got his info from an email from someone who is 'deep' inside WDI. I could get a CM to tell me they are going to rebuild the Birthday Cake castle, but would that make it true? (no) What happens post 2006 is up in the air now and personally, I think CoP will make it through another attempt at closing it. For now though, the rehab will be a great site.

General Grizz

Major reliable sources on this forum are reporting it. I don't have any great MK contacts, so I have nothing to back it up on my own. I think Jim's in the right. . .

And we're gonna act based on that. . . LEE: Let me know what you find, pweese. :D

there's a great big beautiful tomorrow!! Shining at the end of every day!! There's a great big beautiful tomorrow just a dream away!!! ..... and thats the start!! .... mind at heart!! and when it becomes a reality its a dream come true for you and me!!! OHHH c'mon know everyon this time!!
:lol: :lol: :kiss: :kiss: :slurp: :slurp:
[insert lyrics for '....' i forgot those parts]

Expo_Seeker40

There's a great big beauitful X-mas bonus, shining toward the end of every year. There's a great big beautiful x-mas bonus, and Eisner thinks anyone who aint a shareholder is [* :eek: *]. Eisner has a dream and that's the start. He follows his dream with bribes and starch, and when his dream becomes a reality, it's a nightmare for you, including me, so there's a great big beautiful X-mas bonus, shining toward the end of every year, there's a great big beautiful x-mas bonus, cause Eisner himself thinks like an addict on beer. :lol: :hammer:

Sorry HM999thGhost I only knew the lyrics to Mike Eisner's Carousel Of Profit which is presented by AT&T, General Electric, RCA, Monsanto, Eastern Airlines, Delta Airlines, ExxonMobile, Met Life, United Technologies, Kraft, The Bell System, and our friends at World Key Information......just to name a "few". :wave:

NemoRocks78

Seized
Expo_Seeker40 said:
There's a great big beauitful X-mas bonus, shining toward the end of every year. There's a great big beautiful x-mas bonus, and Eisner thinks anyone who aint a shareholder is [* :eek: *]. Eisner has a dream and that's the start. He follows his dream with bribes and starch, and when his dream becomes a reality, it's a nightmare for you, including me, so there's a great big beautiful X-mas bonus, shining toward the end of every year, there's a great big beautiful x-mas bonus, cause Eisner himself thinks like an addict on beer. :lol: :hammer:

Sorry HM999thGhost I only knew the lyrics to Mike Eisner's Carousel Of Profit which is presented by AT&T, General Electric, RCA, Monsanto, Eastern Airlines, Delta Airlines, ExxonMobile, Met Life, United Technologies, Kraft, The Bell System, and our friends at World Key Information......just to name a "few". :wave:

:lol: :sohappy:

SirNim

The concept of progress isn't relevant anymore.

Neither is Walt Disney.

Gut the darned ride, send it to a musuem, and add something FUN to that corner of Tomorrowland!

(S A R C A S M)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom