Carousel of Progress Changes in Last Scene on Christmas Eve 05 (photos!)

MissM

Original Poster
I don't recall hearing "cellphone" in the scene. And the video game grandma plays is most certainly the same at the moment. They also still refer to "laserdisk players" in the script. Oh well. Heh. Some changes are better then no changes, right? :animwink:

By the way, there were solid crowds for CoP throughout the day. Every time we were in Tomorrowland, there were people - sometimes even quite large groups filling the queue area and down the ramp! - waiting in line. Our theater was a good 80% full when we watched it. Seemed to be steady flow all day. (Always good to see!)
-m

imagineer boy

Well, that's progess for ya! I'm glad they're making changes. I think those blue lights might be the new kind of lights that uses very little power and is supposedly 100% fire proof. Its also supposed to be very bright. I guess they kinda wanted to use more cool futuristic type stuff for that scene.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The new bright blue lights are probably LED`s - our neighbour has some outside the house for xmas and I had to have a close look to double check they had no filiment they are so bright!

yensidtlaw1969

Yes, that would make sense, as blue tends (for whatever reason) to be one of the most powerful colors of LED's in the spectrum. I picked up a blue Fiber Optic lamp thing and a red one at Target a while back and the blue LED light was considerably brighter than that of the red LED's.

My guess is that one day the LED will outdate the light bulb. In other words, when a bulb blows out, keep it to sell on ebay for thousands in the year 2055!

Yensid "who-shot-that-hole-in-my-sombrero-?" tlaw1969

Illumineer

i was there on Christmas Eve too!

I didnt realize the changes haa. I hadnt been on COP in a while.
Although rover has a shiney new coat. his new look makes him look, older to me compared to his original photo.

Hmm.

Cool observations Thanks!7

TTATraveler

Thanks for the update, you are very observent:) I am really happy to see an interest in TLC for COP. I only hope that Disney continues to spruce up the attraction rather than turn their backs on it.

Tomko

I Hoped And My Wish And Efforts Paid Off

I am extremely pleased with this report.

I hope some of my efforts paid off and apparently they did.

A new more indepth video of the history and current day COP was completed by my friends at Extinct Extractions. Of course I am in it also along with Roy Disney, Rex Allen Jr. and many developers of the original COP from 1964.

This is a fantastic video well done and in perfect time for the Extreme Makeover.....COP edition :sohappy:

Thanks to everyone for your support and petition signing on my website www.carouselofprogress.com

I hope you get a chance to view and cherish these new COP videos for years to come.

Sincerely

Tom Ortalano

Blackie Pueblo

Fantastic report! I love the fact that you really supplied some background info with the old pics to really show us the difference. Great job! COP is a classic ride and I too am glad they continue to give it some loving!

Do you all think the time jumps are well done, or do you think there is too much of a jump between time periods? I love the ride, I'm just curious of your thoughts.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"No privacy in this place. No privacy t'at all!"
http://www.newlineagefilms.com

Magicot

Blackie Pueblo said:
Do you all think the time jumps are well done, or do you think there is too much of a jump between time periods? I love the ride, I'm just curious of your thoughts.

To respond to Blackie Pueblo, I think that it's a necessity to show the "turn of the century" scene in the beginning and the "modern" scene at the end because they are important in telling and completing the story. With that said, we have two more scenes, the 20s and the 40s. When Walt's CoP first started spinning in 1964, it was perfect- the 1900s, 1920s, 1940s, and 1960s. However, just over 40 years later, now we have a huge gap between the 3rd and 4th scene because of the constant modernizing and period-changing of ONLY scene 4. If I had it my way- I think it should go 1900s, 1920s, 1950s, and then the 1990s because these four periods seem to be most significant.

You may ask why the 1990s and not 2005?? I have heard alot of people make jokes about the laserdisks, '90s videogames, and car phones discussed in scene 4 (I also find it humorous), calling them outdated and in need of replacement. However, the Carousel of Progress is supposed to show the advances in electrity and technology with the American family throughout the 20th century. Where does it say that the last scene must constantly be updated with every new decade of technology into the 21st century??

Whether Disney decides to keep updating the last scene, not update anything at all (in the sense of new technology), or even go as far as to change the other time periods so there would no longer be a big gap, then I have no problem with any of these solutions. However, if the CoP is replaced, it will surely be missed by many, young and old.

lunalovegoddess

Thanks for posting the pics, MissM. Now I can direct people to this thread who keep wondering whether the attraction is doomed to be closed or not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom