Carosel of Progress to be removed and moved to the Walt Disney Family Mueseum

Lee

Adventurer
Cool...I'll help box it up for the trip to San Fransisco.:D

Nah....CoP is doomed to sit there in TL, neglected and out of place.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not to mention that he had everything to do with IASW and Pirates, as well as most of Fantasyland and Main Street(pre-WalMart). I'm sure there's more.

Well, since pirates had an update as well as it's a small world, they're not in their original work as walt disney designed them.

So now all we have left is Main Street, Carousel of Progress, and The Country Bear Jamboree left! :)

_Scar

Im not sure but it makes perfect sence to be in DCA and fits better there than TL in WDW. When DCA is done being rethemed it is supposed to be Walts park. The front of the park will be themed to look like LA when Walt arrived in the 20's.

Also the are retheming the Swings to Silly Synphony swings and doing the Night time show World of Color. COP would be a great addition to DCA.

CoP fits in no way anywhere in DCA no matter how much you try to spin it.

devoy1701

Well, since pirates had an update as well as it's a small world, they're not in their original work as walt disney designed them.

So now all we have left is Main Street, Carousel of Progress, and The Country Bear Jamboree left! :)

Main Street ain't quite what is used to be...

TP2000

Not to mention that he had everything to do with IASW and Pirates, as well as most of Fantasyland and Main Street(pre-WalMart). I'm sure there's more.

Walt had nothing to do with WDW's Magic Kingdom planning. When he passed away in late '66 the Magic Kingdom part of his Florida Project was just a cut and pasted map of Disneyland circa 1965 up in the corner of the property.

Look, you can see StorybookLand and the Matterhorn and New Orleans Square and the Flying Saucers! :lol:
WALT%252BDISNEY%252B1965.jpg

But since Walt was responsible for the Carousel of Progress at the World's Fair a decade before it arrived in WDW, he did have a hand in that one Magic Kingdom attraction. It's really the only thing Walt would have touched that is currently in the Magic Kingdom.

But as someone who has been to the Walt Disney Family Museum in The Presidio (and it's a FANTASTIC experience!), I can assure you that there is no room for such a facility in that beautiful and historic museum space.

yensid67

It is 100% false :wave:

Although I am glad to see they are not removing CoP, think about it...

Why would they REMOVE the attraction when they could build one at the Family Museum prolly cheaper and more efficient than removing it and rebuilding it somewhere else!? Although, stranger things have happened!

As a side thought:

Is the CoP still operational or is it completely closed? The last time I was there I thought it was not operational indefinitely!? Can anyone help? I know Figment always has the answers! LOL

s8film40

It's a shame the rumor isn't true. While it's great for it to be in a Disney park, as long as it is in a Disney park it will never be 100% safe. The rumors of it's removal have circulated for years and one of these days it could happen.

ABigBrassBand

No! CoP belongs in WDW, and it should stay there.

And thats the only ride Walt had to do with? Pirates, IASW, Main Street, and a lot more rides want to speak with you...

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Is the CoP still operational or is it completely closed? The last time I was there I thought it was not operational indefinitely!? Can anyone help? I know Figment always has the answers! LOL
The CoP is still running. I think it MIGHT be seasonal, technically, but it's still open most of the time, if not all.

yensid67

None of which are original anymore either.

While its a good argument, although the attractions aren't original any longer, they are at least the original concepts from Uncle Walt, himself!

As for Main Street USA, if I were Mayor of Marceline, MO., I would put up the cash and make it SIMILAR to Main Street USA, since Mercaline was the inspiration for MSUSA. Just think of how their economy would be boosted just from tourism!? They could actually invest in the town a little more and create a SMALL park with some of the main attractions! Disney could help and make it a Disney Vacation Destination...kind of a see the inspriation for the area of the park type vacation. Just an idea, hehehehe! Not a well thought out idea at that!LOL

FinePhotoGraphx

Future of COP?

While the Carousel of Progress (COP) is such an important piece of Disneyana, Imagineers will eventually need to do something with it.

The last scene of the "modern" family is grossly outdated. From all I know about Walt and his forward thinking and "plussing" I don't believe he would have COP as it currently is in the Magic Kingdom. My guess is it would be totally redone with the latest interactive and visual technology like you see over at Turtle Talk with Crush and Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor.

Or Walt would replace it with something new and revolutionary with a corporate sponsor backing it.

With all that said I've always loved COP and will make it a point to see it each time I go.

What would you like to see happen with COP?

TP2000

No! CoP belongs in WDW, and it should stay there.

And thats the only ride Walt had to do with? Pirates, IASW, Main Street, and a lot more rides want to speak with you...

Walt worked on the Disneyland or 1964 World's Fair versions of those attractions in the 1950's and 60's. Walt died in 1966, before real planning on the Magic Kingdom began. (Inspect that screen grab from the EPCOT '66 film I linked above).

The copies of those attractions were built by people living 5 or more years after Walt's death. They were mostly very talented people and they did a good job (except for the Readers Digest version of Pirates of the Caribbean they shoehorned into Adventureland in '73), but they weren't Walt.

Walt had been dead for years when this stuff was designed for Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom