Caribbean Beach?

PHS79

Original Poster
We have our plane tickets booked for Feb 19-28 2015, and we are know that we are going to stay at AOA in a Nemo suite from the 23rd-28th when my parents are joining us. But we aren't sure where we want to stay from the 19th-23rd, we are kinda leaning towards Caribbean Beach. It is only my DW, DD 5, and myself.

So what can you tell me about CB? I have stayed there before but it was about 20 years ago. Pros/cons?

Raeskull

We have our plane tickets booked for Feb 19-28 2015, and we are know that we are going to stay at AOA in a Nemo suite from the 23rd-28th when my parents are joining us. But we aren't sure where we want to stay from the 19th-23rd, we are kinda leaning towards Caribbean Beach. It is only my DW, DD 5, and myself.

So what can you tell me about CB? I have stayed there before but it was about 20 years ago. Pros/cons?
We've stayed there in 2011 and 2013. We have also booked it again for oct 2015. My family love this resort. It seems to be on this forum anyway that you either love it or hate it. Anyway the biggest con for most people seems to be the size. But if that bothers you, you can always book a prefered room or ask for aruba then its just a walk across the bridge. My brother and sister-in-law came with us last year and both have asthma and my sister-in-law also has heart problems, they enjoyed the walk each morning to port royale. They stayed in barbados. The food court is ok but to be honest your not there for the food. Pros the grounds are beautiful. Like the other resorts they roast marshmallows at night and show movies by the main pool. The main pool is another big pro. They have a brilliant kiddie section with slides and stuff, which is gated. Also each set of islands has their own quiet pool, which doesn't have lifeguards but provides swimming aids for the kids. The rooms seemly only have double beds this was never aproblem for us and we're not exactly small. The rooms also have double sinks which with a teenage daughter is a big pro. Each island also has its own bus stop and there is also an internal bus if you need it. Not everyonelikes the decor of the rooms but we do. The maid service is great our room was always spotless. Our family consists of four. Myself, my DH, DD16 and DS 6 . Hope this helps as i said we love this resort hope you will too.

belledream

It is large and very spread out. Beautifully themed but yes, the bus system can be a little annoying stopping at several others before going on your way or risk them being full when it gets to your stop. Though you are going at a slower season and it shouldn't be bad at all :)

If I recall correctly, there are 6 "islands" as themes. The problem with that is that they each share one food court, and because it's spread out, it's a long walk to get there (I'd say that from the furthest part to Port Royale, it's a good mile walk, which is not exactly the best thing). It's a beautiful hotel and it's themed really nicely, and even though the rooms are small, they're nice rooms (I stayed there twice due to a family member being involved in a tournament at the Wide World of Sports Complex). The only complaint I have is that it's a long walk to get to the food court, which is a major problem if the weather isn't so nice.

Last edited:

MissingDisney

Check out disneycaribbeanbeach.com. 6 villages plus Old Port Royale stop = 7 bus stops. Not a mile to the farthest rooms but probably seems like it after a long day in the parks!

HatboxGhost

My wife and I will be staying in Martinique in building 25 or 26 so we should be in good shape being right next door to the food, shops, arcade, and pool.

rt06

I'm stuck in Trinidad South. One word: far.

Got "upgraded" to a pirate room. I told the CM I'd rather have a better location. She looked shocked that I would turn down a pirate room. Based on her reaction I said what the hey, maybe it won't be so bad. She did say to call if I was displeased. Schlepped over to the room. Not impressed at all. There was liquid and mold in my ice bucket. The barrel that holds the fridge is hanging on one hinge. I didn't feel like lugging everything back to the car to return to the Custom House. Shame that I should have to inspect a Disney resort room like some off the highway motel. My fault for not speaking up.

The pool is nice. The slide is fun. Lifeguards are strict. We tossed around a mini Disney football at AKL last year without a problem. Not so this year. The smaller pool feels like bath water.

Safe to say I will not be staying at CB ever again.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
We have stayed at CBR for all but one trip. We stayed at Pop for a short MVMCP trip. We enjoy it. We always stay in Martinique in one of the buildings closer to Old Port Royale. We have never had any issues with transporation. My wife like walking along the beach and laying in a hammock. The kids like the themed pool and making s'mores. I didn't realize how much I enjoyed the theme and music until we stayed at Pop. We do 10 park days and 4 days doing DTD, lounging at the pool, and non-park activities. Staying at Pop made me realize that we do more than just shower and sleep at our resort and theme/ upkeep makes a difference. Only negative I would give CBR would be Shutters. We have only eaten there once, doesn't do anything for us.

Lucky

I liked CB well enough except for all of the bus stops. It has more than any other resort. I wouldn't stay there again without a car.

SagamoreBeach

Stayed there this past March and like it very much. But, for the money and what you get, I would rather stay at an All-Star resort and spend the difference doing something else.
-T

JillC LI

You'll get mixed reviews for CBR. We've stayed there twice and loved it. Didn't mind the full (vs. queen) size beds. We had a rental car so I can't comment on bussing. But the theming was beautiful with the beaches and hammocks and steel drum music. Food court was nice. Ask to stay in "Aruba or Jamaica near the footbridge" for proximity to the food court and main pool without paying for a preferred room. It's a lovely short walk across the footbridge with a view of the whole resort.

acishere

Until the rooms get an update, I would recommend staying at one of the other mods. The lack of queen beds is disappointing for the price. The grounds are beautiful, but I prefer the look of CSR more and think that resort has superior rooms.

Tinkerbell 8

I stayed here in 2004 and as beautiful as the grounds were, it was just too big and too spread out for me. I was in a wheelchair during that trip and was unable to get a room close to the food court so my dad had to push me around the lake to get breakfast and drinks at night, not a huge problem but after a long day in the parks the walk seemed really long (for him atleast, I enjoyed the stroll). Also as others have mentioned there are a lot of bus stops and you just have to remember that if you are one of the last few stops the bus could already be filled and you'll have to wait for the next one, and if you are closer to the first few stops you have to add on the time that it takes for the bus to make it around the entire resort. Not that this is a big deal for me, but the rooms have not been upgraded like the other moderate resorts so they still have full beds unlike the queen size beds at the other resorts.

dopeylover

Everybody talks about the walking, the walking, the walking! Honestly, I've stayed there once, we're staying there again due to Free Dining in October. It's spread out, but so are a lot of other resorts in WDW. Unless you're used to a Deluxe where everything is really within arms reach, you'll be ok. You're doing a lot of walking as it is in WDW, so to me it wasn't really a big deal. We stayed in the Pirate Rooms, the very furthest away from everything, and we had a quiet pool right across from us that was wonderful and we were a beautiful 5-8 minute walk to the main pool and food court. It's all how you look at it!

I just left the Yacht Club and I actually thought that was quite a bit of walking, and that was a Deluxe Resort!

PHS79

Original Poster
Thanks everyone! My DW and I talked it over, and looked at the Disney site more times than I care to count. We have decided to book a preferred room in Martinique at CBR for 4 nights, then we move over to AoA into a Nemo family suite for 5 more nights before heading home.

slappy magoo

Not a fan of the theme and for the price to not have queen beds is ridiculous. Won't comment on the huge layout as most wdw resorts have them. Shutters is routinely rated one of the worst resorts on property, an "only if you have no other options" eatery. I'd stay there for a night if I arrived a day earlier than my check in date but I would not choose to stay there for the duration of a trip.

Last edited:

Raeskull

Until the rooms get an update, I would recommend staying at one of the other mods. The lack of queen beds is disappointing for the price. The grounds are beautiful, but I prefer the look of CSR more and think that resort has superior rooms.
Just read in a newsletter the rooms are currently being renovated and will have queen beds. Some will have a fold out bunk so they can sleep 5. Should be finished in spring 2015.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom