Car rental

Sunnydayz

Hi, we've booked carrabien beach hotel and looking to rent a car for 1 week of our stay. Am I better doing this through disney when we arrive or through a rental company prior to our holiday?

DisneyPrincess5

Welcome to the boards. The way we have always done it is we shop around for the best deal (which for us is usually enterprise or dollar) and book it a few months prior and pick it up when we arrive at MCO. Pick up and drop off have always been very smooth and we are happy to do it this way.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

It has always been cheaper for us to rent on our own and use Enterprise, National, Budget, or Dollar. I also suggest going ahead and getting the rental insurance they offer. I know that it seems like a rip off, and the companies DO make it one, but if you have an accident they will continue to charge rental fees until it is fixed regardless of whether your personal insurance is footing the repair bill or not. By having their insurance they do not charge you those fees. It is almost criminal, but they do have it in the loooooooong contract wording (that no one ever reads).

Upvote 0

wendysue

We take the Magical Express to the resort and when we need the car, we call either Alamo or National at the Car Care Center and they come get us. When we take the car back, they bring us back to the resort. This works well if you don't want to rent at the airport and drive to the resort yourself. The rate for the car was the same as other places that I checked. We got a discount code through Undercover Tourist. We will be doing this in October for a few days of our trip.

Upvote 0

Sunnydayz

Original Poster
We take the Magical Express to the resort and when we need the car, we call either Alamo or National at the Car Care Center and they come get us. When we take the car back, they bring us back to the resort. This works well if you don't want to rent at the airport and drive to the resort yourself. The rate for the car was the same as other places that I checked. We got a discount code through Undercover Tourist. We will be doing this in October for a few days of our trip.
Thanks wendysue, I should have mentioned that we get the transfers in our disney package. But want sure if it was cheaper to rent from airport arrival. However, we'd need to weigh up cost against the convenience of just getting it at the resort than having to drive all the way from airport x

Upvote 0

SAV

Make sure to use the Mousesavers.com discount codes when checking rates. I have saved quite a bit using them. Also, Car rental reservations are easily cancelled, so if you see a comfortable rate book it. Then continue to check the rates and make a new one and cancel the old one as it drops. I have done that with several rental companies without any issue.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

Thanks wendysue, I should have mentioned that we get the transfers in our disney package. But want sure if it was cheaper to rent from airport arrival. However, we'd need to weigh up cost against the convenience of just getting it at the resort than having to drive all the way from airport x

Just keep in mind that it's only a 20 minute trip from the airport in a rental car, but if you use Magical Express you have to wait for the bus to fill up, wait for them to decide to leave, and they drive much slower to get to the resort. You could take up to two to three times longer to get to the resort by taking Magical Express. We always just rent from the airport and go. We are off the plane, picking up our luggage, and in the rental car within 20 minutes. Another 20 minute trip to Disney and we're there. Otherwise you're getting off the plane, making your way to Magical Express, getting on the bus and waiting, and then taking the time to drive there with Magical Express, waiting while the Magical Express bus stops at other resorts before yours, then getting a rental car from Disney when you get there.

Upvote 0

Sunnydayz

Original Poster
Just keep in mind that it's only a 20 minute trip from the airport in a rental car, but if you use Magical Express you have to wait for the bus to fill up, wait for them to decide to leave, and they drive much slower to get to the resort. You could take up to two to three times longer to get to the resort by taking Magical Express. We always just rent from the airport and go. We are off the plane, picking up our luggage, and in the rental car within 20 minutes. Another 20 minute trip to Disney and we're there. Otherwise you're getting off the plane, making your way to Magical Express, getting on the bus and waiting, and then taking the time to drive there with Magical Express, waiting while the Magical Express bus stops at other resorts before yours, then getting a rental car from Disney when you get there.
Something to consider thanks x

Upvote 0

BrianV

Rental cars are always cheapest 30-60 days in advance. We've found budget and Alamo to be the cheapest decent ones. Case in point, we have a full size for 10 days in august for $231. Several months ago that price was more like $500. And closer to the time, the price will shoot up again.

Don't bother with the rental insurance. If you must, get a AmEx. They have an add on insurance rental product for $20 a rental period for which you can sign up and which covers most of what the rental car companies would charge.

Upvote 0

SAV

I forgot to mention that we have been the most happy with Thrifty car rentals. Their price is consistently lowest and I haven't had a problem with them in several trips

I was the most upset with Dollar and will never use them again. I thought that they were a "better" brand than Thrifty, so I used them last trip. Bad experience.

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord
For me, its all about cost, why pay a daily rate for a rental car that will be sitting in a parking lot all day. The majority of our time in Orlando is on Disney property. I can understand the need or desire for a car, such as visiting Universal, Seaworld or LegoLand. In fact for part of our April trip we'll have a rental car, but that's to visit family and go to lego land. I'll be turning the car in that Sunday (we arrive Thursday to ft. myers to visit family). I'd rather take a slow bus for free, then pay anywhere near 350 to 700 (if not more) for a car that will sit in a parking lot all week.

Upvote 0

sfeinst

You should also check with your place of work to see if employees can get company rates. Some companies have deals that their employees can use for personal - depends on where you work of course. I was able to book Hertz using my employee ID and get a car for a lot cheaper than AAA would have been able to get me from any company they dealt with.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We've had good luck dealing with Dollar and checking their City Specials on their website. Rates vary from day to day and we often book, then cancel when a lower rate comes out, and book again. Rinse, lather, repeat.

Upvote 0

G00fyDad

For me, its all about cost, why pay a daily rate for a rental car that will be sitting in a parking lot all day. The majority of our time in Orlando is on Disney property. I can understand the need or desire for a car, such as visiting Universal, Seaworld or LegoLand. In fact for part of our April trip we'll have a rental car, but that's to visit family and go to lego land. I'll be turning the car in that Sunday (we arrive Thursday to ft. myers to visit family). I'd rather take a slow bus for free, then pay anywhere near 350 to 700 (if not more) for a car that will sit in a parking lot all week.

I completely get what you are saying, but we have done the "bus thing" before and I'd rather eat hot nails than to experience that all week during our trips. We like the convenience of getting right into our car at the end of the day and getting to the resort fast. If we use a bus we have to wait in line to get on a bus, we are stuck next to screaming and crying kids because their parents are park commandos, sweaty people (face it, it's hot), and just being crammed together in a "tin can" until we finally reach our resort after what seems like hours. The ability to come and go when we want is priceless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BrianV

I agree in principle. If we are staying ONLY at wdw I will just use the magic express and onsite busses. But usually we only spend a few days and then tour around Florida to the beach and what not.

With some work, you should never need to pay even close to $700 for a week. While admittedly we got a good deal, we'll be paying $230 for 10 days. Not bragging at all, but if you keep looking starting about 5 months out and look weekly, you will find much much lower rates. And unlike airfare, you can cancel and rebook at will.

Upvote 0

docdebbi

you don't mention in your post how many of you there will be. When my daughter reproduced enough times to require a minivan for all the people/luggage/strollers, we began renting from national car because by joining the club (for free), we only pay for a mid size and get a minivan. nice deal if you need a minivan. also, their rates are lower if you belong, so consider joining.
i agree that i have always seen prices go down 1-2 months before the trip, so i would wait to rent. they never run out of cars.....

Upvote 0

Sunnydayz

Original Poster
Rental cars are always cheapest 30-60 days in advance. We've found budget and Alamo to be the cheapest decent ones. Case in point, we have a full size for 10 days in august for $231. Several months ago that price was more like $500. And closer to the time, the price will shoot up again.

Don't bother with the rental insurance. If you must, get a AmEx. They have an add on insurance rental product for $20 a rental period for which you can sign up and which covers most of what the rental car companies would charge.
Thanks for that we've been looking at Alamo. Insurance was my next research x

Upvote 0

Sunnydayz

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help guys, we've got a lot to look into and a lot to think about. There are 5 of us, 2 adults 3 kids and we are intending to go to universal and international drive. I like the idea of having the car there for the end of day as we intend to stay for fireworks etc (with a nap during day) and will just want to get the kids back to the hotel without the hassle of queuing for buses. X

Upvote 0

DarthVader

Sith Lord

That's what I'm hoping based on my research, right now for my April trip, the cost it too high, so I'll wait until we're closer to departure to snag a rental car. I suspect similarly airline costs are the same, though I'll probably book the airline well before the 30 day mark.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom