Captain EO

JimJam

Original Poster
I Heard That Captain EO is permanent... I would love for this to happen because i never liked HISTA. Thoughts?

menamechris

I don't have any insider information, but I would not be surprised. There is no reason to bring back Honey. It was never that terribly popular, and it seemed dated given that the last movie was made in the early 90s or something. The franchise is dead. I think Disney is happy to let MJ live there forever now...

Thrill

I don't have any insider information, but I would not be surprised. There is no reason to bring back Honey. It was never that terribly popular, and it seemed dated given that the last movie was made in the early 90s or something. The franchise is dead. I think Disney is happy to let MJ live there forever now...

Wait... HISTA is outdated and EO isn't?

I seriously hope not. The whole Imagination pavilion needs an update.

PirateFrank

That's a sad fact...if it is indeed a fact....that they can not come up with something better than a 20 year old recycled movie about that freak.

It speaks volumes about the lack of imagination and creativity in WDI.....

Thrill

That's a sad fact...if it is indeed a fact....that they can not come up with something better than a 20 year old recycled movie about that freak.

It's not WDI that's the problem, it's the management and executives that don't want to spend to turn WDI's concepts into realities.

menamechris

Wait... HISTA is outdated and EO isn't?

I seriously hope not. The whole Imagination pavilion needs an update.

Disney is about nostalgia. And anyone who is a child of the 80s will love seeing MJ in all his 80s glory over and over again. Its just the way it is... Likewise, I am sure if they find that attendance is not as much as it was HISTA, they wont hesitate to bring it back. But aside from just the attraction, EO is huge in merchandising. Next time you go, you will see people all over in EO shirts, hats, etc. They are CAPITALIZING on it being very very 80s.

menamechris

To be honest, I totally disagree. Disney brought it back because there was a demand for it after MJ died. Even if it is not your thing, or you don't care for it, you have to respect and acknowledge that they listened to their guests.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I'm sure it's permanent until the entire pavillion gets a major refurb.

I highly doubt we'll ever see HISTA return again.

trr1

you know you like his music :rolleyes:

Jrn14

I just find it "odd" as soon as certain alligations were made against MJ Disney was quick to pull him out of the parks... as soon as the public opinion of him changed they dropped him ..... Now that it's been 20 years and he is dead and people have all seemed to forget about the alligations Disney was quick to pick him back up to make a buck.

Talk about sticking to your guns.

:p

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I find it a bit ironic that the people who rant against bringing back an old attraction like Eo are the same ones who clamor for Horizons to return.

menamechris

I just find it "odd" as soon as certain alligations were made against MJ Disney was quick to pull him out of the parks... as soon as the public opinion of him changed they dropped him ..... Now that it's been 20 years and he is dead and people have all seemed to forget about the alligations Disney was quick to pick him back up to make a buck.

Well, he will always be an icon, and I think Disney pulled it more for fear he would be tried and convicted, and they would be left with their pants down. No one knew what was going to happen when all that was coming out. So I don't blame them for their decision. BUT, he never was convicted. So there really is no reason now to not capitalize on his fame and death, now is there? Whats more American than that? haha

Tigger1988

Uh, the attraction remained in WDW for over a year after the "allegations" were made. The attraction remained in Disneyland for another 4 years. It stayed in Tokyo and Paris for even longer.

How were they "quick" to pull him out of the parks?

menamechris

I find it a bit ironic that the people who rant against bringing back an old attraction like Eo are the same ones who clamor for Horizons to return.

OMG! Thank YOU! HAHA And sooo upset that the 40 year old Snow White will be leaving for a more imaginative attraction.

PirateFrank

It's not WDI that's the problem, it's the management and executives that don't want to spend to turn WDI's concepts into realities.

Good point....I stand corrected....

To be honest, I totally disagree. Disney brought it back because there was a demand for it after MJ died. Even if it is not your thing, or you don't care for it, you have to respect and acknowledge that they listened to their guests.

Do you know that for a fact? do you have access to polling data that suggested that fans petitioned disney parks in stagering numbers demanding, pleading and begging that EO be brought back? ......I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

What's makes your assertion even more rediculous is that Disney listened. Come on. How do you explain EO, when you consider the staggering list of desperate requests regarding revivals of 20k, BK, Adventurers Club, etc, etc...?

Here's the stone cold hard truth. They saw dollar signs at the idea of capitalizing on his death....they did some market research and realized that they could get away with it, push some merch and at the same time, absorb the complaints from people who didn't want him in the park again.

The idea that there were huge numbers of guests demanding EO back is ludicrous. Especially when one walks past it and sees that it attracts as much people as HISTA did.....

menamechris

Do you know that for a fact? do you have access to polling data that suggested that fans petitioned disney parks in stagering numbers demanding, pleading and begging that EO be brought back? ......I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

What's makes your assertion even more rediculous is that Disney listened. Come on. How do you explain EO, when you consider the staggering list of desperate requests regarding revivals of 20k, BK, Adventurers Club, etc, etc...?

Here's the stone cold hard truth. They saw dollar signs at the idea of capitalizing on his death....they did some market research and realized that they could get away with it, push some merch and at the same time, absorb the complaints from people who didn't want him in the park again.

The idea that there were huge numbers of guests demanding EO back is ludicrous. Especially when one walks past it and sees that it attracts as much people as HISTA did.....

Seriously? There were serious petitions on Facebook, MySpace, everywhere. I know people who work in guest relations that said there was a pouring in of requests from guests. Letters, people filling out forms asking for it.

And what is the problem with giving guests what they want? They were asking for it. They are paying good money to be there and if they want that instead of HISTA, they should get it. The real question is - where are the petitions and letters to bring back HISTA? Please...feel free to drop guest relations a line. I think it may be letter #1...

wizards8507

<Insert comment about Michael Jackson being a pedophile and not belonging at Walt Disney World here.>

With "Beastly Kingdom" and "Western River Expedition" each receiving recently popular threads, why not resurrect an age-old topic?

*wizards8507 leaves to go start thread "Why WDW should get rid of Fastpass forever"

wdwfan4ver

That franchise has been dead for years, but the franchise didn't die in the early 1990's.

The last movie from that franchise was in 1997 as a direct to video. Disney even had a syndicated sitcom series for Honey, I shrunk the Kids from 1997 to 2000.

Tigger1988

All one has to do is Google to see the many petitions fans made following his death. These results just scratch the surface.

Monsterfan99

To the regular guest, you know the ones who pay the bills, Michael Jackson > everything else. No matter ones feelings about him, he is an international name. I'm willing to bet the wonderful tourist of Brazil, Japan and other countries will picks a 3-D show with MJ over a sub ride or small DTD place.

Disney a company with the sole purpose to make money and please it's shareholders. Anything after that is secondary. It's the same when people complain about anything changing, being added, being removed and everything else: The fanboys are the only ones who complain as the tourist just enjoy their visit.

Except for the fact it plays double the shows HISTA audience does and packs in more people. In the last week I've seen it pay to 3/4 full theaters around 6 PM as Journey can not even fill 2 rows. A year ago the same could not be said for HISTA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom