Captain EO Soft Open To Public Today

Actors' personal lives should have no reflection on success of attractions

or their enjoyability.
ummmm...I'm not going, or taking my 5 little ones to see it.

If I did go, I would have more of an upset stomach than on ToT.

The reality is: personal lives matter to many. Expect me to shorten the line in August.

Captain Neo

Disney sure distanced themselves quickly when Jeffrey Jones was convicted of being a sexual predator by immediately shuttering Alien Encounter.

yea thats not the reason Alien Encounter was shuttered.

Nice try though. By your logic Star Tours should have closed in the 90s because of PeeWee Herman (a REAL pervert not a fabricated one).

Timekeeper

Because this isn't a tribute. This is TDO hoping to make money off merchandise after seeing it fly off the shelves at DL. This is the Captain EO Cash-Cow.

Newsflash: The entire Disney brand, including all theme parks and attractions, is a "cash-cow." :brick:

Timekeeper

Ironic

...It's ironic how whenever there is a Aerosmith Rock'n'Roller Coaster post and discussion, board members don't get into debate over Steven Tyler's (or any other band member's) admitted use of illegal narcotics and other questionable personal lifestyle choices. Should WDI really have decided to open an attraction based on a real-life rock band (and all the baggage that a real life rock band brings along) instead of, say, a fictitious band? Some might argue no, some might argue yes ...but why argue at all when that's not the topic of discussion? :brick:

There are plenty of Disney attractions that are at least based in part on real life celebrities (and the characters that they portray). And many celebrities succumb to some degree of rumor, controversy, and other media attention. We, as consumers, demand it. But where do we (or Disney) draw the line? Should Robin Williams have been prohibited from lending his voice to Genie or Timekeeper because of his past cocaine addictions? Do we remove certain presidents from the Hall of Presidents because of the mistakes that they made or the laws that they broke?

Or maybe we should take things a step further. The House of Blues and AMC Theater are at Downtown Disney, and because they're associated with the Disney World Resort in that sense, maybe we should look into the character of all the musicians that come to perform, do a few background checks, and screen all of the actors in all of the movies that play at the theater. Heaven forbid we blemish the Disney properties with the presence of a celebrity of questionable nature.

Johnny Depp has been arrested a few times. So I guess we better close down Pirates too. :brick:

zjer

...It's ironic how whenever there is a Aerosmith Rock'n'Roller Coaster post and discussion, board members don't get into debate over Steven Tyler's (or any other band member's) admitted use of illegal narcotics and other questionable personal lifestyle choices. Should WDI really have decided to open an attraction based on a real-life rock band (and all the baggage that a real life rock band brings along) instead of, say, a fictitious band? Some might argue no, some might argue yes ...but why argue at all when that's not the topic of discussion? :brick:

There are plenty of Disney attractions that are at least based in part on real life celebrities (and the characters that they portray). And many celebrities succumb to some degree of rumor, controversy, and other media attention. We, as consumers, demand it. But where do we (or Disney) draw the line? Should Robin Williams have been prohibited from lending his voice to Genie or Timekeeper because of his past cocaine addictions? Do we remove certain presidents from the Hall of Presidents because of the mistakes that they made or the laws that they broke?

Or maybe we should take things a step further. The House of Blues and AMC Theater are at Downtown Disney, and because they're associated with the Disney World Resort in that sense, maybe we should look into the character of all the musicians that come to perform, do a few background checks, and screen all of the actors in all of the movies that play at the theater. Heaven forbid we blemish the Disney properties with the presence of a celebrity of questionable nature.

Johnny Depp has been arrested a few times. So I guess we better close down Pirates too. :brick:

Plus one.

By a raise of hands, how many people who are here complaining about Captain EO are actually old enough to remember his (Michael Jackson) music as it was released? The way I figure, if you are under the age of 27 you aren't old enough to remember MJ's history as it had happened, instead you know it as it was told to you by a news reporter or your from neighbor.

dxwwf3

The way I figure, if you are under the age of 27 you aren't old enough to remember MJ's history as it had happened, instead you know it as it was told to you by a news reporter or your from neighbor.

Gotta lower that age to at least 26 because I'm 26 and I definitely grew up with MJ's music being released. Even though I was only 3, I can remember when Bad came out and I remember getting the Moonwalker VHS and watching it over and over. So I did miss out on thriller, but I was right there for the Bad and Dangerous eras.

BTW I know exactly what you're saying and I agree, I just had to throw in that my experiences :)

voodoo321

Am I understanding the argument here? So it's ok that a child molester be glorified in a Disney attraction since others that commited victimless crimes still have parts in other attractions? MJ apologists will say he was never convicted and they were after his money. Any reasonable person knows that it was money that kept him out of prison. I'm not only ashamed of Disney for this reason but for the fact that it was never a very good attraction, even less so now. Yet I believe HISTA was the worst attraction in all of WDW

No one is perfect. Some celebrities recognize, regret and confess their bad decisions. MJ did not. By supporting a celebrity that denies inherent moral truth, Disney tarnishes their own reputation by association, (and this association will affect wait times- for those hoping to keep on topic. :))

voodoo321

Sorry. Child Molestation doesn't fall under the "everybody makes mistakes" category. Unfortunately the justice system seems to have the same attitude about it that most of you guys apparantly do.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
yea thats not the reason Alien Encounter was shuttered.

Nice try though. By your logic Star Tours should have closed in the 90s because of PeeWee Herman (a REAL pervert not a fabricated one).

So taking naked pictures of a 14 yo boy is a fabricated pervert? :eek:

And while it may not have "THE" reason....I guarantee that it DID play a part in their final decision.

parkgoer

Original Poster
So taking naked pictures of a 14 yo boy is a fabricated pervert? :eek:

And while it may not have "THE" reason....I guarantee that it DID play a part in their final decision.

um, i'm almost positive MJ never took pictures of a naked boy....

If you don't like Captain E.O or MJ...boycott it and don't watch it! bashing him and posting false statements about him on here is not going to do anything. Let's talk about something else. I'll say it again. The show is back, if you don't like it, don't go.

EpcotServo

This thread fell down, down, down into a burning ring of fire. And I stopped posting while the flames went higher. And it burns, burns, burns...the thread of fire. The thread of fire.

Vince3

Seen EO couple of times this weekend. When it was first released I though it was great.Now it seems really dated...which of course it is.More nostalgic than anything.First time views will wonder what all the fuss is about.

WDITrent

Half past never. You know, Jeffery Jones, who played Chairman Clench, is a registered "you know what" offender who pleaded guilty to possessing child . I wonder if the trolls would pitch a fit about his return to Disney parks? :ROFLOL:
I know. Similar to Captain EO. Which is why it has a chance of coming back someday! ;)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
um, i'm almost positive MJ never took pictures of a naked boy....

If you don't like Captain E.O or MJ...boycott it and don't watch it! bashing him and posting false statements about him on here is not going to do anything. Let's talk about something else. I'll say it again. The show is back, if you don't like it, don't go.

Ketchup mustard...I wasn't referring to MJ but to Jeffrey Jones and his link to Disney shutting down Alien Encounter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom