Captain E.O.-Possible Comeback?

WDW Vacationer

Original Poster
I know it has been disscussed on here but I just read something on another site that said Disneyland's President Ed Grier spoke about the fact that meetings have been held about bringing Captain E.O. back to Disneyland. If it were to happen it would replace Honey I Shrunk The Audience in California. Do you think this would make it easier to also add it to EPCOT?

Figment632

It will never happen Disney no longer wants their name associated with MJ he is not Disney friendly and I bet they want to distance themselves as much as possible.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Do you think this would make it easier to also add it to EPCOT?
I'm pretty sure 99% of answers will be the same, so I'll be one of the few to actually answer your question.
Yes. If they were to bring it to DLP, I'm sure it'd be easier to justify bringing it back to Epcot. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if they were to do that, though.

RSoxNo1

Disneyland is far more likely to get a limited engagement type show which is exactly what Captain EO would be.

Jasonflz

While I think there is a high chance that it will never happen I still trust Al. If we don't get the show back in the parks, we will probably get it on DVD and Blu-Ray. I would also be surprised if it was released in Disney Digital 3D or even Imax.

lebeau

Showing Eo at Disneyland potentially beings a flood of locals in for a limited engangement.

Showing Eo at Epcot potentially offends a bunch of casual tourists.

I think it's a slim chance at best in DL. It's only being considered there because of the potential at a quick cash grab. I sincerely doubt Eo will ever be at Epcot again.

lebeau

There's a few issues here. Some people would object to having a controversial figure like Jackson in the parks. Personally, that doesn't bother me. But I can see the point of view of those who would be bothered.

As a fan of the parks, what bothers me is the idea of going backwards rather than forwards. Eo had it's time in the parks. But that time is past. I would hate to see the parks pander to nostaligia by bringing it back. I'd rather see something new create new memories for fans to feel nostalgic about 20 years from now.

WDW Vacationer

Original Poster
There's a few issues here. Some people would object to having a controversial figure like Jackson in the parks. Personally, that doesn't bother me. But I can see the point of view of those who would be bothered.

As a fan of the parks, what bothers me is the idea of going backwards rather than forwards. Eo had it's time in the parks. But that time is past. I would hate to see the parks pander to nostaligia by bringing it back. I'd rather see something new create new memories for fans to feel nostalgic about 20 years from now.
Sometimes nostalgia is good. Would you want rides like Horizons,World of Motion,Mr.Toad or the subs back?:)

lebeau

Sometimes nostalgia is good. Would you want rides like Horizons,World of Motion,Mr.Toad or the subs back?:)

Nope.

But I wouldn't object to new attractions that harkened back to the originals in some way. New subs would be cool. Putting the old subs back would not.

Nostalgia is fine. I get nostaligic about the parks. But I don't need Disney to put old attractions back for me to relive the experience. That's what photos, memories, etc are for.

The funny thing about nostalgia is that when you get a chance to revisit something you felt nostalgic about it is rarely as good as you remembered it. And anyone who doesn't feel the same nostalgia you do is usually underwhelmed.

Animaniac93-98

I was as surprised as anyone else to see Al report on it begin seriously considered at Disneyland. It's a shame the old pre-show video couldn't be brought back to but if it helps attendance I'm sure both Disney and Kodak would love to. It wouldn't be the first time Disney brought back something to the parks years after it was supposedly gone forever (or "glowing away" forever ;)). And to answer Al's concern on WDI approved signs I'm sure they could just duplicate the old plans if they wanted to.

However for Epcot I think there would be two major factors involved, and they don't involve offending people. One would be the HIStA's current attendance (as it as bad as Disneyland's) and the other would be how great of an attendance increase Disneyland would see if they went through with this plan.

If it really did something positive for the attractions attendance record there's no doubt in my mind that the would bring it back to Epcot for all the potential advertising and positive attitude it would give to Kodak. It may offend some people, but like those who boycott Disney because of them giving health benefits to partners of gay employees I doubt it would overshadow the potential popularity of it's resurrection.

I'm not a huge or even casual MJ fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I would for sure see it if they brought it back and if I were at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom