Captain Cook's closes in March

NiarrNDisney

Um yea...we will be there April 18th and heard nothing about this. I don't understand why, if this is happening, they don't post this news so people know. Now I am going to have to deal with my cousin complaining about no Dole Whips...and then complaining that even though we have all this construction and now the QS is closed we still have to pay full price for the hotel. lovely,:mad: lol

Maybe you could change resorts!?! Now that you are aware of this information you may be able to change over to one of the other Deluxe resorts or get a really nice upgrade at one of the Moderates.

s&k'smom

I'm so glad I got to at least see Captain Cook's on our last trip, we were staying at the GF and while the family is sleeping I grab my coffee and stroll over to the Poly for a look around, it was so lovely, quiet music, tiki torches. My DD wants to stay there on our girls weekend but I think we'll wait until construction is done.

Monkee Girl

Maybe you could change resorts!?! Now that you are aware of this information you may be able to change over to one of the other Deluxe resorts or get a really nice upgrade at one of the Moderates.

I will definitely let her know what I read here. Both her and my Aunt (her mother) are very spoiled with the Poly...I am too of course :p, but this stuff doesn't bother me like it would them. I would just want them to know ahead of time if they feel it is too much trouble and want to change somewhere else. The monorails are supposed to be back up full time in April, right? That was the other aspect I was looking at. You stay at the Deluxe for the monorail service and then it is only limited times on top of construction and possibly loss of the QS.

Don't get me wrong, I completely and 100% understand these things need to happen and it is just that time and I WANT the Poly to be the absolute best it can be. But on the customer side, paying thousands upon thousands of dollars for a trip like this to be so inconvenienced is a tough to deal with sometimes, :) Not for me, of course. I can eat anywhere and do not live on Dole Whips alone. But I still gotta deal with the complaining from the family. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible

Soarin' Over Pgh

Um yea...we will be there April 18th and heard nothing about this. I don't understand why, if this is happening, they don't post this news so people know. Now I am going to have to deal with my cousin complaining about no Dole Whips...and then complaining that even though we have all this construction and now the QS is closed we still have to pay full price for the hotel. lovely,:mad: lol

Just remembered the monorail closing for refurb too...

71jason

I would be awfully ticked if I were booked when captn cooks is closed. No 3 am dole whip, poolside? Might as well be at another, cheaper hotel. I thoroughly enjoyed my late night iced coffee and dole whip trips to captn cooks... Followed by a nice swim in the quiet pool.

When Gasparilla closed for refurb, the Grand went out of its way to open a replacement counter-serve option. I imagine there will be a temporary "Cooks" somewhere while this goes down.

piazza

[quoti="Soarin' Over Pgh, post: 5929262, member: 86399"]Just remembered the monorail closing for refurb too...[/quote]
When Is the monorail closing??? We will be at the Poly for our first time ever April 11 - 18th and this news is all very disappointing!

Monkee Girl

[quoti="Soarin' Over Pgh, post: 5929262, member: 86399"]Just remembered the monorail closing for refurb too...
When Is the monorail closing??? We will be at the Poly for our first time ever April 11 - 18th and this news is all very disappointing!

It's not fully closed, it went into a limited time operation schedule.

"Monorails to run on shortened schedule
Beginning 1/21/14, the Magic Kingdom resort and Express monorails will be unavailable on weekdays between the hours of 11:30am to 7:00pm. This is a planned maintenance and will be in effect until the end of March 2014. There will be extra watercraft and buses available.

The Epcot monorail will run as usual."

They don't give an exact time on when it will be back to full operation. I am sure for our trip, April 17th, it should be back to normal. But until then, those are the hours from what I understand. So between 11:30 to 7pm it's busses and boats. or walking if you are going to the Contemporary :)

piazza

It's not fully closed, it went into a limited time operation schedule.

"Monorails to run on shortened schedule
Beginning 1/21/14, the Magic Kingdom resort and Express monorails will be unavailable on weekdays between the hours of 11:30am to 7:00pm. This is a planned maintenance and will be in effect until the end of March 2014. There will be extra watercraft and buses available.

The Epcot monorail will run as usual."

They don't give an exact time on when it will be back to full operation. I am sure for our trip, April 17th, it should be back to normal. But until then, those are the hours from what I understand. So between 11:30 to 7pm it's busses and boats. or walking if you are going to the Contemporary :)
Thank you!!!!!

piazza

I just called about my April 11 th - 17th reservations (3 rooms in total) talked to 2 different people and they assured me only the beach access and neverland club would be closed. Not sure what to do at this point, we're only about 60 days out if they don't let us know in a timely manner it will be too late find other accommodations(it's supposed to be very busy) but I really don't want to spend that type of money we will be spending for the Polynesian if there is going to be a lot closed. my biggest fear is that the pool will be closed during our stay has anyone heard of the pool closing. what is your confidence level that Captain Cooks may be closed(I'm a huge tonga toast fan) l

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I just called about my April 11 th - 17th reservations (3 rooms in total) talked to 2 different people and they assured me only the beach access and neverland club would be closed. Not sure what to do at this point, we're only about 60 days out if they don't let us know in a timely manner it will be too late find other accommodations(it's supposed to be very busy) but I really don't want to spend that type of money we will be spending for the Polynesian if there is going to be a lot closed. my biggest fear is that the pool will be closed during our stay has anyone heard of the pool closing. what is your confidence level that Captain Cooks may be closed(I'm a huge tonga toast fan) l
According to @tikiman, Captain Cooks will be closed beginning March 9 until August or September. There will be a temporary quick serve location in another building (not the Great Ceremonial House). Not sure if Tonga Toast will be on the menu, but Kona Cafe will be open and you can get it there.

The volcano pool closure has been pushed back to August, so no worries there.

piazza

According to @tikiman, Captain Cooks will be closed beginning March 9 until August or September. There will be a temporary quick serve location in another building (not the Great Ceremonial House). Not sure if Tonga Toast will be on the menu, but Kona Cafe will be open and you can get it there.

The volcano pool closure has been pushed back to August, so no worries there.
Thank you for the information!! unfortunately we have No ADR's for the Kona Cafe but I'll see what I can do on short notice.

Soarin' Over Pgh

Thank you for the information!! unfortunately we have No ADR's for the Kona Cafe but I'll see what I can do on short notice.

I was there last May and we had ADR for kona cafe but it seemed like there wet empty tables and people walking and in. But it was 9:30 in the morning, so not super early, before the park opens.

Def get the tonga toast there. I ended up only eating half and saved the rest for breakfast the next morning. As good as it is warm, it's every bit as tasty cold from the fridge with the strawberry syrup poured over!

I haven't heard of the main pool being closed. The quiet pool is fantastic, I personally enjoyed that one more!

NiarrNDisney

I will definitely let her know what I read here. Both her and my Aunt (her mother) are very spoiled with the Poly...I am too of course :p, but this stuff doesn't bother me like it would them. I would just want them to know ahead of time if they feel it is too much trouble and want to change somewhere else. The monorails are supposed to be back up full time in April, right? That was the other aspect I was looking at. You stay at the Deluxe for the monorail service and then it is only limited times on top of construction and possibly loss of the QS.

Don't get me wrong, I completely and 100% understand these things need to happen and it is just that time and I WANT the Poly to be the absolute best it can be. But on the customer side, paying thousands upon thousands of dollars for a trip like this to be so inconvenienced is a tough to deal with sometimes, :) Not for me, of course. I can eat anywhere and do not live on Dole Whips alone. But I still gotta deal with the complaining from the family. I'd like to avoid that as much as possible

I can't say I have an answer for you as to if the Monorail will be up an running at 99.9% I guess you can only hope, but don't forget that the Boat shuttles will still be available for travel between the Poly and MK.
As Tikiman has stated there will be a new CS location opening over by Tangorao Terrace to make up for the fact that Captain Cook's will be closed so who knows maybe they will still offer the Dole whip.

JimboJones123

If they do open up a rumored Dole Whip Bar, may I suggest Blueberry Soft Serve?

Because the stuff at Kings Island is better than Dole Whip.

Yes, I understand fully what I have stared. Better than Dole Whip.

NiarrNDisney

Captain Cook's is great, but w/ it's popularity, it could be a bit larger when it reopens, hopefully.;)
You would think they would have thought about this earlier! I've noticed most of the deluxe resorts have pretty small CS options with little to no seating (BWR - Boardwalk Bakery, CR - Contempo Cafe, WL - Roaring Forks) what do the people who normally stay in these resorts only eat expensive TS meals or something?

bethymouse

You would think they would have thought about this earlier! I've noticed most of the deluxe resorts have pretty small CS options with little to no seating (BWR - Boardwalk Bakery, CR - Contempo Cafe, WL - Roaring Forks) what do the people who normally stay in these resorts only eat expensive TS meals or something?
LOL:D So true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom