Capacity and capacity

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster
I just got back from 9 days at WDW and I have a very specific frustration.

The first part of the trip (MLK weekend) especially, there were big crowds and long lines. Which I get. It’s a holiday.

What was frustrating, however, was how the cast members were loading rides.

I grew up as the only son in a family of 5. When we rode rides, I was always the person sitting next to a stranger. If there was room, it was filled.

Apparently we don’t do that anymore.

I rode probably a dozen 2-to-a-row rides with just my 2 boys, and the only one where they seated someone next to my son was Slinky Dog. Otherwise, no matter how long the wait, my kid had a row to himself, and so did a bunch of other nearby riders from odd numbered groups.

It was more egregious on the rides my wife could ride with us on, like LWTL or MMRR or IASW where, again even when there was a meaningful wait, they’d seat just me in a row by myself and leave room for 2 empty.

I get that no one likes to sit with strangers but I mean c’mon. The boats were going out barely more than 60% filled! When the wait for Small World is posted at an hour, or Runaway Railway at 90 minutes, why aren’t we combining groups?

drizgirl

We were there in December and yes, that’s the way it now is…not necessarily making excuses, but welcome to a post Covid world.
(We were also there in December 2021 and it was the same)
If Disney was still mitigating for Covid they would change how they handle the stretching room at HM.

lazyboy97o

If Disney was still mitigating for Covid they would change how they handle the stretching room at HM.
I don’t think he was saying that they are mitigating. It’s more that people are less willing to sit next to strangers so it’s easier to just not bother grouping different parties together than it is to deal with people refusing and having to rework your boarding strategy.

Last edited:

drizgirl

I don’t think he was saying that they are mitigating. It’s more that people are less willing to sit next to strangers so it’s easier to just not bother grouping off rent parties together than it is to deal with people refusing and having to rework your boarding strategy.
But since when do Disney guests decide who they are willing to sit by? If you're not comfortable with that, a theme park is the last place you should be.

lazyboy97o

But since when do Disney guests decide who they are willing to sit by? If you're not comfortable with that, a theme park is the last place you should be.
Cast Members don’t have the ability to eject someone who is refusing to get into a ride vehicle. Even if they did, you’re going to cause a bigger issue and delay trying to force the people. In the case of some rides if you take to long boarding you can end up with a cascade that results in the ride stopping and restarting the ride can take a significant amount of time.

CntrlFlPete

I imagine some has to do with the size of the groups around you (most rides do not have a single rider. Anyway, I think this was long before COVID when I think of the safari -- my family of three often got/gets a row to ourselves, but occasionally a family will be added, have certainly had others join us on the skyliner after COVID hit.

PSM

I always enjoyed being sat next to other people on rides. The little small talk exchange and glimpse into someone else's life and vacation journey was always a fun connection to the world outside my own, especially if we had already talked a bit in the queue.

These days, though, many people are too into their phones - and perhaps too uncomfortable - to bother chatting with a stranger while waiting in line for a ride. But me? I always felt like there was a natural connection to others in this situation, being that we're all on vacation in (most likely) one of our favorite places and enjoying the same anticipation and experiences.

I won't get much into the covid side of it, but I'm pretty sure if you're willingly visiting a globally popular theme park with tens of thousands of other guests and riding rides that don't get cleaned and sanitized between each load of passengers, being seated next to strangers for a 60-second ride to keep queues shorter probably shouldn't be a big concern for you. With a few exceptions, I think they should fully load all cars/boats/trains if it will make a significant difference in wait times. I mean, isn't this the entire reason the single rider line exists, to fill in empty seats and offer an option that shortens the wait for both single rider guests and those in the normal queue?

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I always enjoyed being sat next to other people on rides. The little small talk exchange and glimpse into someone else's life and vacation journey was always a fun connection to the world outside my own, especially if we had already talked a bit in the queue.

These days, though, many people are too into their phones - and perhaps too uncomfortable - to bother chatting with a stranger while waiting in line for a ride. But me? I always felt like there was a natural connection to others in this situation, being that we're all on vacation in (most likely) one of our favorite places and enjoying the same anticipation and experiences.

I won't get much into the covid side of it, but I'm pretty sure if you're willingly visiting a globally popular theme park with tens of thousands of other guests and riding rides that don't get cleaned and sanitized between each load of passengers, being seated next to strangers for a 60-second ride to keep queues shorter probably shouldn't be a big concern for you. With a few exceptions, I think they should fully load all cars/boats/trains if it will make a significant difference in wait times. I mean, isn't this the entire reason the single rider line exists, to fill in empty seats and offer an option that shortens the wait for both single rider guests and those in the normal queue?
I do agree with the conversation…my family always say I can and WILL talk to anybody lol, but it does make for a nicer experience IF you’re an extrovert

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think it has become policy not to seat strangers next to children, only takes a second for a grope
I would get it if that was a policy, but then why seat a stranger next to my first grader on Slinky Dog? It’s just inconsistent. And leaving half a row empty in those big boats or on MMRR makes no sense to me at all.

JIMINYCR

Be thankful….. sometimes. I’ve been on rides when strangers have been seated next to me and … ugh the body odor has been so intense I’ve wanted to bail out shortly after the ride started. Other times I’ve had a stranger seated next to me that screamed bloody heck throughout the entire ride and my ear drums were about to burst. Other times a stranger who just had to have their camera up and filming the entire ride blocking my view. Sometimes you can be very thankful for that empty seated area. 😉😉😉

Smiley/OCD

Be thankful….. sometimes. I’ve been on rides when strangers have been seated next to me and … ugh the body odor has been so intense I’ve wanted to bail out shortly after the ride started. Other times I’ve had a stranger seated next to me that screamed bloody heck throughout the entire ride and my ear drums were about to burst. Other times a stranger who just had to have their camera up and filming the entire ride blocking my view. Sometimes you can be very thankful for that empty seated area. 😉😉😉
B.O. you’re kinda stuck with…camera is another story…they put it away, or the CM at the exit gives me another ride…

JIMINYCR

B.O. you’re kinda stuck with…camera is another story…they put it away, or the CM at the exit gives me another ride…
I’ve NEVER had a CM feel sorry for me and give me a reride because a guest had their obnoxious camera filming the ride. Never heard of a guest getting a reride unless it was an EMH event when there were a lack of riders in line.

Smiley/OCD

I’ve NEVER had a CM feel sorry for me and give me a reride because a guest had their obnoxious camera filming the ride. Never heard of a guest getting a reride unless it was an EMH event when there were a lack of riders in line.
If my ride was ruined, I would ask a CM at the exit of the ride…if I was denied by them, I wouldn’t raise my voice (again, it’s not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it), and ask to speak to a supervisor…plead your case, and I would bet you’d be given a second ride. I know people who’s views were ruined on Pirates…by a person with an iPad…they spoke to a CM, and rode again WITHOUT standing in line.

LittleBuford

I was on Tower of Terror once when a group of teenagers were taking flash photographs throughout the pre-drop portion of the ride. I told a CM afterwards and was allowed to go on again.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom