Capacity and capacity

LittleBuford

Take a coin and rest it on your knee…on the drop, it will fly up off your knee and you catch it before you reach the bottom…my kids used to do it all the time. Stupid fun on an awesome ride!
I'll try it the next time I ride. My window is limited, as I feel more and more queasy each time I ride it. I think I'll have to give it up altogether in a few years (I wish there were a way of getting off before the drops start!).

MickeyLuv'r

To some extent it might be...January. A lower crowd time of year.

That said, I visited WDW a few weeks ago. We saw an odd mix sometimes in the opposite direction. Pirates was empty. It was so empty that entire boats ahead of us left the dock completely empty; nevertheless, groups of 4 adults were asked to sit together in 1 row. In the past, under similar circumstances, we've seen groups of 4 assigned to take 2 rows. It was odd people were crammed together in that manner, even though there was no wait and plenty of room.

To some extent, it may just be luck of the draw. Filling ride space requires a specific ability. It is a bit like playing the old game of Tetris. Each CM loads a little differently.

Being seated next to strangers on some rides (TT, EE, RNRC) is also dependent on the number of single riders in the queue. We often use the SR queue, and have seen great variability in how CMs fill seats. When the SR queue is very full, CM's tend to keep the SR queue moving. When the SR is relatively empty, the CM's tend to be more careful in how they load people, and will try harder to load people from the main queue more efficiently.

There are also times when the SR queue is not open (available) at all, even though the ride is running. When that happens, EE trains often leave the loading area with empty seats.

I have rarely seen CM's pair strangers on some rides, like BTMRR.

TalkToEthan

I get that no one likes to sit with strangers but I mean c’mon. The boats were going out barely more than 60% filled!

Trace this asinine "policy" back to money.

Because if this were a pay--for-indivudual-ride system like the old days of ticket books and current airlines then expect every seat filled......providing there is a sufficient demand/queue full of waiting riders.

Considering quest demand relative to available seats these past years those trains, boats, shuttles, ride vehicles should close to never leave stations unless completely full. It should be a rare occasion to see one empty seat.

Absolutely gross mismanagement of ride ops

drizgirl

Trace this asinine "policy" back to money.

Because if this were a pay--for-indivudual-ride system like the old days of ticket books and current airlines then expect every seat filled......providing there is a sufficient demand/queue full of waiting riders.

Considering quest demand relative to available seats these past years those trains, boats, shuttles, ride vehicles should close to never leave stations unless completely full. It should be a rare occasion to see one empty seat.

Absolutely gross mismanagement of ride ops
Except that the more seats they fill, the more they can sell.

TalkToEthan

It was so empty that entire boats ahead of us left the dock completely empty; nevertheless, groups of 4 adults were asked to sit together in 1 row. In the past, under similar circumstances, we've seen groups of 4 assigned to take 2 rows.

More gross mismanagement of seat assignments.

jloucks

I think it has become policy not to seat strangers next to children, only takes a second for a grope
I think this actually happened.

That said, some lil' snotties I didn't know jumped in next to me last march. (Test Track)

In hindsight, they probably thought the families were all together since we were all yacking it up something fierce while in line and all our kids were mixed up in each other.

jloucks

I just got back from 9 days at WDW and I have a very specific frustration.

The first part of the trip (MLK weekend) especially, there were big crowds and long lines. Which I get. It’s a holiday.

What was frustrating, however, was how the cast members were loading rides.

I grew up as the only son in a family of 5. When we rode rides, I was always the person sitting next to a stranger. If there was room, it was filled.

Apparently we don’t do that anymore.

I rode probably a dozen 2-to-a-row rides with just my 2 boys, and the only one where they seated someone next to my son was Slinky Dog. Otherwise, no matter how long the wait, my kid had a row to himself, and so did a bunch of other nearby riders from odd numbered groups.

It was more egregious on the rides my wife could ride with us on, like LWTL or MMRR or IASW where, again even when there was a meaningful wait, they’d seat just me in a row by myself and leave room for 2 empty.

I get that no one likes to sit with strangers but I mean c’mon. The boats were going out barely more than 60% filled! When the wait for Small World is posted at an hour, or Runaway Railway at 90 minutes, why aren’t we combining groups?

This would drive me nuts! That must wreak havoc on the single rider system. How does that work? One person to a row?!

Smiley/OCD

To some extent it might be...January. A lower crowd time of year.

That said, I visited WDW a few weeks ago. We saw an odd mix sometimes in the opposite direction. Pirates was empty. It was so empty that entire boats ahead of us left the dock completely empty; nevertheless, groups of 4 adults were asked to sit together in 1 row. In the past, under similar circumstances, we've seen groups of 4 assigned to take 2 rows. It was odd people were crammed together in that manner, even though there was no wait and plenty of room.

To some extent, it may just be luck of the draw. Filling ride space requires a specific ability. It is a bit like playing the old game of Tetris. Each CM loads a little differently.

Being seated next to strangers on some rides (TT, EE, RNRC) is also dependent on the number of single riders in the queue. We often use the SR queue, and have seen great variability in how CMs fill seats. When the SR queue is very full, CM's tend to keep the SR queue moving. When the SR is relatively empty, the CM's tend to be more careful in how they load people, and will try harder to load people from the main queue more efficiently.

There are also times when the SR queue is not open (available) at all, even though the ride is running. When that happens, EE trains often leave the loading area with empty seats.

I have rarely seen CM's pair strangers on some rides, like BTMRR.
When my wife and I were there in December, she doesn’t do coasters, so I go solo…rode EE three times and had someone next to me twice. No big deal.

Smiley/OCD

I'll try it the next time I ride. My window is limited, as I feel more and more queasy each time I ride it. I think I'll have to give it up altogether in a few years (I wish there were a way of getting off before the drops start!).
Get yourself a pair of sea bands…my wife has vertigo and swears by them…doesn’t do spinning rides or coasters, but uses them on FoP and TT…

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I hate to sound dumb, but I've never heard of sea bands? What are they and how do they work? I can't ride some things because I get sick. Thanks:)
They are cloth bands with a small plastic “protruding” plastic that you wear on your wrists for seasickness. The presses on a nerve on your wrist and (in theory) alleviates seasickness and motion sickness.
I’m not sure where she gets them, Target? Wal-Mart? Sporting goods store? I do know they’re really not that expensive.

NickMaio

I just got back from 9 days at WDW and I have a very specific frustration.

The first part of the trip (MLK weekend) especially, there were big crowds and long lines. Which I get. It’s a holiday.

What was frustrating, however, was how the cast members were loading rides.

I grew up as the only son in a family of 5. When we rode rides, I was always the person sitting next to a stranger. If there was room, it was filled.

Apparently we don’t do that anymore.

I rode probably a dozen 2-to-a-row rides with just my 2 boys, and the only one where they seated someone next to my son was Slinky Dog. Otherwise, no matter how long the wait, my kid had a row to himself, and so did a bunch of other nearby riders from odd numbered groups.

It was more egregious on the rides my wife could ride with us on, like LWTL or MMRR or IASW where, again even when there was a meaningful wait, they’d seat just me in a row by myself and leave room for 2 empty.

I get that no one likes to sit with strangers but I mean c’mon. The boats were going out barely more than 60% filled! When the wait for Small World is posted at an hour, or Runaway Railway at 90 minutes, why aren’t we combining groups?
They want the wait times high so people buy genie plus.
They have an incentive to push the wait times up.
We noticed this also last October.

AndyS2992

I don't want to sit next to strangers so waiting a little extra for a row to myself is worth it. However on my recent September trip, this wasn't the case at all. I rode a few rides alone as my partner doesn't like coasters and I had strangers placed next to me on:
-Expedition Everest
-Rock n Rollercoaster
-Tower of Terror
-Mickey & Minnie's Runaway Railway
-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Test Track
-Big Thunder Mountain

So it's necessarily always case. If someone is alone and have a group of one or three either in front or behind, there is a high chance you will be put with them.

mysto

It's almost as if the person making seat assignments is making seat assignments in their own style. As usual the rule if any (whatever it is in this case) is only as good as it's enforcer, and being the enforcer is far less rewarding than being the rulemaker.

Minnesota disney fan

They are cloth bands with a small plastic “protruding” plastic that you wear on your wrists for seasickness. The presses on a nerve on your wrist and (in theory) alleviates seasickness and motion sickness.
I’m not sure where she gets them, Target? Wal-Mart? Sporting goods store? I do know they’re really not that expensive.
Thank you! I'll try to get some for our next trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom