Cap 3

erasure fan1

The first 45 minutes can get a little drawn out
I just got back from seeing it and I will 2nd this. It is a bit slow to start but once it gets going, man it gets good. So many holy cow moments I don't think I even remember them all. They really did do a great job at balancing the darker tone of the film with lighter moments, especially from spiderman and antman. I also thought the balance of characters was handled really well too. Even though you had great moments with ALL the characters, it never didn't feel like a Cap movie. I can't wait to see it again!

RobUK

Whilst running behind the second one in terms of money raised, I think this one will have a greater sustainability of revenue due to excellent word of mouth and the fact a lot of us will go and see if again.

It's a fantastic film. Totally agree that it blasts BvS out of the water.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/08/box-office-report-captain-america-civil-war

Captain America: Civil War
opened in North America this weekend to an estimated $181.8 million, the fifth biggest domestic opening in history. As a result, Marvel now holds four of the six largest domestic openings of all time.

Globally, Civil War scored a total of $401.8 million this weekend, and after its select international opening last week, the third Captain America film now boasts a worldwide total of $678.4 million after just 12 days.

Flippin'Flounder

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/05/08/box-office-report-captain-america-civil-war

opened in North America this weekend to an estimated $181.8 million, the fifth biggest domestic opening in history. As a result, Marvel now holds four of the six largest domestic openings of all time.

Globally, Civil War scored a total of $401.8 million this weekend, and after its select international opening last week, the third Captain America film now boasts a worldwide total of $678.4 million after just 12 days.
And Disney has 5 of the top 6.

mf1972

who's up for Batman vs Superman again? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Matt_Black

who's up for Batman vs Superman again? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I don't think that's a fair comparison. I'm betting this Cap 3 has legs and isn't going to suffer nearly the huge drop that BvS did. BvS had the benefit of "Holy crap! Batman and Superman in a movie together for the first time! OMG!" The novelty wore off, and wore off FAST.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I don't think that's a fair comparison. I'm betting this Cap 3 has legs and isn't going to suffer nearly the huge drop that BvS did. BvS had the benefit of "Holy crap! Batman and Superman in a movie together for the first time! OMG!" The novelty wore off, and wore off FAST.
About halfway through the movie.

Matt_Black

About halfway through the movie.

Ooh, BURN!

James Tucker (producer of shows like Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave & The Bold) said on twitter that Cap 3 had the same thing he tried to put in every episode of his shows- the 3 H's of Heart, Humor, and Heroism. All the Marvel films have done a good job at having these things. DC? Not so much. It's almost as if they're trying to make movies based on their image of a sullen teenager's idea of cool.

mf1972

Ooh, BURN!

James Tucker (producer of shows like Justice League Unlimited and Batman: The Brave & The Bold) said on twitter that Cap 3 had the same thing he tried to put in every episode of his shows- the 3 H's of Heart, Humor, and Heroism. All the Marvel films have done a good job at having these things. DC? Not so much. It's almost as if they're trying to make movies based on their image of a sullen teenager's idea of cool.
my wife kind of said something similar. how marvel movies are much lighter in tone, has a sense of humor in between the action, & characters making fun of each other or spoofing themselves. makes it more fun.
I haven't lost faith for the DC characters. Hope they get their act together.

Matt_Black

my wife kind of said something similar. how marvel movies are much lighter in tone, has a sense of humor in between the action, & characters making fun of each other or spoofing themselves. makes it more fun.
I haven't lost faith for the DC characters. Hope they get their act together.

The guys running the assorted TV series seem to get it. Flash and Supergirl have gotten very good reviews. I just don't know why that can't crossover to the films or comics.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
The DC movies are so bleak for me. My husband and I only made it through the first 2 Bale Batmans. The Superman reboot was just so dark and depressing but there is something missing, they are missing an element that will send it in the right direction. I don't know what the thing is but DC hasn't discovered it.

RobUK

For me the problem with DC is that they've completely stripped it of any cartoony comic bookery.

'Why so serious?'

The Avengers films, whilst well acted in places and covering topics such as murder and dictatorship, still pop with colour and are regular interspersed with humour. I get the feeling the production teams behind Batman and Supes would strip them of their supersuits and dress them in torn jeans, dirty white tshirt, and a scuffed leather jacket if it wouldn't cause a backlash.

Suicide Squad looks a bit more lively, so let's hope they're taking the future films in the right direction

erasure fan1

Ooh, BURN!

Personally I think DC is trying to be the anti marvel just so they don't get accused of "copying". They probably think that by being dark and serious, it distinguishes themselves from marvel. What they don't get is that no matter what, it's still comic books.

Matt_Black

Personally I think DC is trying to be the anti marvel just so they don't get accused of "copying". They probably think that by being dark and serious, it distinguishes themselves from marvel. What they don't get is that no matter what, it's still comic books.

Yeah, there's a limit as to how dark and serious you can be when you have a guy who dresses like a bat fighting a guy dressed as a clown.

Now, I'll admit to a bit of a bias. I wasn't hugely into the Nolan films. The first two were enjoyable enough, and serviceable, but I told people in 2008 that I thought overall Iron Man was a better film. I've no burning desire to rewatch either of those Batman films, and I might watch the third if I catch it on cable.

If I find out the Adam West Batman movie is on, though? I will plan my whole day around watching the S*** out of that, old chum. In many ways, it IS the best Batman film. It's the most consistent in tone and theme, and Adam West could nail both that version's iteration of Batman AND Bruce Wayne.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom