Cancer's not going to stop us PTR/TR

Hey to everyone out there! :)

I'll explain the title of this thread in a little bit, but first things first. Let's meet the cast!

This is my grandniece, River. She is 2 years old and this will be her first trip to WDW.

576706_10152810550315023_848235015_n.jpg

And this is her older sister, Leah. She is 3 years old and this will also be her first trip to WDW.

946646_10152810548745023_224306463_n.jpg

Aren't they cute? LOL... The both of them have been watching a lot of Disney movies to know who the characters are and are excited to meet up with them.

This is their mother, my niece, Bianca.

150451_10151283679537761_1658012732_n.jpg

Also going will be my folks. This picture was taken during our trip in 2011 at the Crystal Palace.

307441_1997248850862_1461256307_n.jpg

Had a great time during that trip.

Also joining the party will be my girlfriend, Jennifer. She goes to WDW about every other year with her family. However, it's only for a couple of days during the Christmas holiday. This will be her first time going for a full week and staying onsite. She'll also be celebrating her birthday while we are down there.

1012169_10200138330520993_742979505_n.jpg

She's totally rockin' the Star Wars/Big Lebowski mix t-shirt! She's a fan of bowling, Star Wars and, of course, WDW!!! That makes her an awesome girlfriend!

And finally, this is me. My name is Todd and this picture was also taken on our trip in 2011. Obviously, getting ready to enjoy 'Ohana.

408559_2352435690311_1662590425_n.jpg

I know that the date says it was in 2010. However, the date, and time, was not set on the camera that we used. As you may have noticed, I'm wearing a Grumpy Dwarf t-shirt. He is my favorite character. I completely identified with Grumpy growing up. I had a hard exterior, but deep down I have a heart of gold and I'm very loyal, just like Grumpy.

Anyway, my folks, and I, had planned, last year, to take my niece and her two daughters to WDW. However, due to many "life" changing things, we were unable to go at that time. We had promised the girls that we would take them. So, we've managed to get things together and keep our promise to take them this coming September.

Well, about a month to two months ago, my mom had a cat-scan done. The results came back that she has cancer, again for the 4th time. This time it has affected her liver and part of her lungs. After several visits to several doctors, the diagnosis was pretty much the same. There really isn't much that they can do other than treat it with the most toxic cocktail of chemo possible to give her another year or two of life. The chemo is so strong that it will cause chemical burns on the skin. My mom, being the tough person she is, decided to do the treatments and to keep our plans on going to WDW.

Her doctors all agreed that if she felt well enough that she should go to WDW. Reason being that it's a positive influence. That if it makes her happy, it can help in fighting the tumors. My mom, being a huge fan of WDW, said that this cancer isn't going to prevent her from going on this trip. That, no matter what, she was going!

I was glad to hear that. I think she knows that this could be her last time to go to WDW, barring a miracle happening. So, we're going to do our best to make this a great trip for her. Having her 2 great granddaughters there for their first time and seeing it through their eyes is going to really make it special for her.

We've got photopass+ for this trip to take as many pictures as possible. We'll be staying at the OKW resort. We'll have 2 rooms. A studio for myself and Jennifer. A 2 bedroom for the rest of them. I'm really getting excited about this trip and I plan on posting as much as I can about our trip, as well as posting as many pics as I can...

Hope I can make this an enjoyable ptr/tr for everyone to read and follow...

Obi

Original Poster
thanks again to everyone for the well wishes, prayers, love and pixie dust!!

have informed my mom about this thread and how everyone has been sending all their positive thoughts her way. she's very grateful for it and it's been very uplifting for her.

sorry that i have not made individual replies to everyone that has posted in this thread. with everything that has been going on with work, helping my folks out as much as i can, and so on and so on... well... i guess we all can understand how life can keep us busy. i had to make posts like this one to thank everyone....

yes, things have been incredibly hectic and i haven't been able to even keep this thread as updated as i would like. however, this trip will be greatly welcomed to where we can just escape from all the reality for a while and just enjoy our time there....

it will also provide me, hopefully, some time to be able to reply to all the posts individually as well.

i also will be creating a photo album, when we get back, with all the pictures we'll take with our cameras, photopass + pics and so on. plan on having a few copies printed to give as christmas presents to some family members, including my 94 years young grandmother.

Longers

Sending my prayers for your mum. I am sure you will have a truly magical time. Can't wait to hear all about your trip and the surprise for your gf.

aeillill

I hope this is an incredible trip for you guys, We lost my mom earlier in the year to lung cancer and had hoped to get in one more trip together this September, so I have to admit this did make me tear up a little bit. I hope this is incredible for you guys and you all have an awesome time.

Obi

Original Poster
wow!

the last day! it's finally here!!!

got a lot to do before we head on out of here at 3 am.... we'll be driving down there. Saturday will make the trek to Atlanta and stop there for the night. then drive the rest of the way on sunday...

laundry, packing and getting everything together.... going down the checklist... LOL....

i'll have a better update, and hopefully pics to add as well, tomorrow when we stop in Atlanta...

erstwo

I am headed down tomorrow too! I hope you have a wonderful trip full of love and memories!!! Your whole family is just beautiful. Can't wait to read your trip report and look for myself in the background of the photos! Ha! :D

Obi

Original Poster
*BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP* *BEEP*

ungh.... 2:00 am.... 2, in the blessed, a.m.

time to get up and head on out. am I forgetting anything? oh.. yeah... better go to the bathroom, shower, shave, get dressed and load my bags into the car....

head on over to the folks house to pick them up and meet my niece and her daughters.... I figured that the girls would be in zombie fashion this early in the morning... but to my surprise, they were up, super excited and ready to go... here are a couple of pics of the girls right before we left this morning a little after 3:00 am...

rivermorn.jpg

sorry this picture turned out fuzzy. this is river and she's telling us about how she's going to meet mickey mouse.

leahmorn.jpg

and here is leah. she's checking out her goodie bag that my folks put together for her and river. had some activity books, sticker books, crayons to color with and some Disney princess dolls, with several outfits, to play with during this trip... yes, today was the long drive. we drove from Kansas all to way to Atlanta. stopped here, just outside southern Atlanta. LONG TRIP, but actually turned out alright. i'm extremely tired though and, hopefully, will be able to get some good sleep tonight to make the rest of the journey to wdw tomorrow morning.

the next couple of pics are when we stopped in poplar bluff, Missouri. everyone was ready to eat breakfast. I really enjoy driving through the Ozarks. didn't get to see much though as most of the drive was in the dark.

funny thing, that I forgot to mention earlier, with the surprise that the girls were wide awake so early this morning, I figured that they would fall asleep before we even got out of the driveway. ummm.. no... LOL... they were up for almost an hour before they finally fell asleep. anyway, as promised here are the pics from breakfast this morning.

riverpb.jpg

here is river with my mom. all of my mom's hair has fallen out from the treatments. so, she wears wraps or hats on her head to keep the sun off.

leahpb.jpg

and leah singing her made up songs. she loves to sing and she did that a lot on the trip today.

and for the last pic I got for today, I took a picture of the Mississippi river as we crossed over.
mississ.jpg

we crossed at where the ohio river meets up with the Mississippi river. you can see it at the top left where the 2 rivers meet.

had to make a few stops along the way for gas, food and to stretch our legs a little bit. we made to our hotel at 7:00 pm eastern time. yes, long day, BUT it was good. everyone is very excited! the girls know they've got one more sleep until we are officially on Disney property.

amongst the made up songs of chocolate juice, both leah and river were talking about all the princesses/characters they are going to meet and all the rides/shows they are going to do. all the adults are looking forward to seeing their faces light up when they see Cinderella's castle for the very first time....

woo-hoo!!!!

anyway, it's late and i'm VERY tired.. need to head on out and get some rest. catch up with all of you tomorrow for a report of arriving at the resort and our time spent at downtown Disney that afternoon/evening...

lbrad

So happy you & your family are able to take this trip!!!
CHERISH every minute :)
Can't wait to read more!!!

Obi

Original Poster
sorry everyone. The wi-fi here in okw is very spotty. Haven't been able to stay connected for more than a minute. I'm posting this through my cell and not able to post pics. Just know that we all made it here, had a great evening over in downtown Disney last night and looking forward to the magic kingdom today along with my gf, Jennifer, celebrating her birthday today! :)

Obi

Original Poster
I tried again and I can't stay connected very long. Guess my laptop is weak. Lol. Well, not sure I'll be able to post any pictures until we get back. Just know Jennifer's birthday gift went well. Let's say that not only was it her birthday but it's also engagement day. That's right. I proposed to her, on bended knee, near the end of main street in front of Cinderella's castle and she said yes! More to come later.

Obi

Original Poster
last full day in the parks. Then head for home tomorrow. I'll give a full report when I get back. I'll see about posting some pics I have from my camera. The rest of the pics will have to wait until Disney ships me the cd of the photopass pics.

Obi

Original Poster
whew! that was a long trip back. we didn't get to ride as many rides as we would've liked to, and a lot of the time the girls were meeting characters, it was still worth it to us. we had a great time! i'll try to give a more detailed report with some pics.

sunday - we finally arrived, in the afternoon, at our resort, old key west. this is the first time we've stayed at this resort and it is really nice. we rented points for 2 rooms. myself and Jennifer were going to be staying in a studio and everyone else was going to be staying in a 2 bedroom. the process to checking in went smoothly. we also got a wheelchair for my mom to use for the week that we were there.

flags.jpg

room.jpg

I had to take a moment and just breathe it all in. to know that we were really here and getting ready to have a great week. the girls were excited and were thinking that the resort was Disney world. LOL... well, can't blame them for thinking that since they've never been there. we told them that the resort was part of Disney world but that there is soooooo much more and that it's a really big fun place. look what was waiting for us when we got into our room!

towel.jpg

I thought this was cool. not that I don't like the mickey ears, but this was different. after we all got unpacked we got together and headed on down to downtown Disney to have supper at wolfgang puck's express and do a little shopping. we picked up autograph books for the girls, a grumpy dwarf t-shirt for me, one of the haunted mansion ghosts special edition Halloween shirt for Bianca and had to pick up our photopass+ card. I highly recommend the photopass+ card if you plan on having a lot of pictures taken and would like to have the on-ride pics as well as the dinner pics too. most of the pics we have are of the girls with the characters, but that's ok. the loved the characters and that brightened our days too.

Obi

Original Poster
I got a few pics here of us on the boat and in downtown Disney.

lboat.jpg

br.jpg

momboat.jpg

mom decided to use her walker for that night. she used the wheelchair for the rest of the week. she actually was doing a lot better. we know that there were many factors for it. not having treatment for 3 weeks and the excitement of being at wdw. she's a fan of wdw like all of us here on wdwmagic are.

jghira.jpg

here is jenn with her drink from Ghirardelli. one of her "have to have's". yes, she is wearing her birthday celebration button. the girls had their 1st visit buttons. Monday, the 16th, was jenn's official birthday, but she decided that it was going to be her birthday week at wdw. LOL!!!! I don't blame her one bit!

Obi

Original Poster
it was getting late, and the girls needed to get to bed, because we had a long but great Monday ahead of us that started early with a breakfast reservation at 1900 park fare in the grand Floridian resort. we got back to the resort and I wanted to check out the pool that was by our room. in fact, we had a corner room, on the 2nd floor, that overlooked the pool area. it was actually nice. I decided to take a couple more pics and then head on to bed myself.

roommorn.jpg

here is jenn's, and my, room.

pcears.jpg

I thought this was really cool. I've never seen the cm's put towel mickey ears on a chair by the pool, but this was a first for me, so I took a pic of it.

interesting thing.. this trip had a lot of "firsts" in it. it was the girls first trip there, so everything was new to them. also, there were a lot of firsts for jenn too. she usually goes with her folks in between the week of Christmas and new years. they only go for 3 days max, so going for a full week was new to her. getting to eat at table restaurants was new to her as well, which she loved btw. there were also some rides and shows that she never got to do because of time. it really turned out to be a great trip for everyone.

on to Monday and the magic kingdom!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom