Can you swim on the beaches of the Seven Seas Lagoon?

eliza61nyc

You miss my point. The Seven Seas Lagoon was never a natural body of water it is entirely man made, you know like a backyard swimming pool only much much larger. Disney should have been allowed to keep the Seven Seas Lagoon safe by killing any alligator that happened to get on their property. Or do you think people should be forced to allow alligator or snakes to freely wander into their yards and swimming pools and the property owner should just wait until they leave to go back to their yard... I simply put the value of a human life above that of an animal - any animal endangered or not. But we all have our preferences and if you want to join the extremists that think humans are a nuisance that is killing mother earth and deserve less protection than a roach then that's your choice.
Oh please
See there is this newfangled thing called a pool. So yeah Im one of the extremists who thinks a gator should not be killed because folks feel entitled.
We're not talking life and death, Im not about to feel sorry because people's little precious can't swim wherever they want

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
Oh please
See there is this newfangled thing called a pool. So yeah Im one of the extremists who thinks a gator should not be killed because folks feel entitled.
We're not talking life and death, Im not about to feel sorry because people's little precious can't swim wherever they want
It would be more about protecting your guests

kelknight84

I would swim in the lagoon even today. Just not at dawn or dusk. Not any different than any other Florida lake. In 2006 they still had triathlon swimmers in it.

thomas998

Oh please
By that logic we shouldn't let people swim in the ocean either when they have a pool at their hotel. Sorry but if the Seven Seas Lagoon was a natural lake that is one thing but it wasn't it was intended to be a body of water for swimming. Why else would it have been designed to generate waves.

lazyboy97o

By that logic we shouldn't let people swim in the ocean either when they have a pool at their hotel. Sorry but if the Seven Seas Lagoon was a natural lake that is one thing but it wasn't it was intended to be a body of water for swimming. Why else would it have been designed to generate waves.
Seven Seas Lagoon is attached to the natural Bay Lake. It is part of a larger water management system that interconnects with various natural waterways.

Minnie Mum

Sorry but if the Seven Seas Lagoon was a natural lake that is one thing but it wasn't it was intended to be a body of water for swimming. Why else would it have been designed to generate waves.

No, it wasn't the primary (or even secondary) reason for the lagoon. You need to bone up on your history. When it was built, swimming was just a side benefit. And the lagoon wasn't "designed to generate waves". They put a wave generator in one location to generate waves in that area only. And it was a failure, so it didn't last long at all. I don't know why you keep harping on the fact that it's man made. It's irrelevant, since it is part of, and integral to, a MUCH larger water management system.

Goofyernmost

To answer the question... yes, you can swim on the beach just stay out of the water. Stay far enough out to spot a Gator coming at you.
To each their own. Disney could find ways to avoid the risk altogether. People pay a lot of money to stay there, give them a beach experience too. You wouldn't want an alligator as a pet, you know?
Do you have any idea how many gators live in the swamps in Florida. They are native to Florida, you are the invader. Stay out of any water where you cannot see the bottom. It is to bad, but, it is the tourist that caused to animals to show up by feeding them. Before that they stayed in their own areas, but, the general public is dumber then a bucket of rocks so now there can no longer be swimming in the lagoon.

BuddyThomas

You miss my point. The Seven Seas Lagoon was never a natural body of water it is entirely man made, you know like a backyard swimming pool only much much larger. Disney should have been allowed to keep the Seven Seas Lagoon safe by killing any alligator that happened to get on their property. Or do you think people should be forced to allow alligator or snakes to freely wander into their yards and swimming pools and the property owner should just wait until they leave to go back to their yard... I simply put the value of a human life above that of an animal - any animal endangered or not. But we all have our preferences and if you want to join the extremists that think humans are a nuisance that is killing mother earth and deserve less protection than a roach then that's your choice.
Oh please. Save your nonsense for the political thread. There are many down in that particular swamp who will share your views.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
When WDW opened in 1971 hunting alligators was allowed and Disney was able to keep the waters safe. Then in 1973 alligators were put on the endangered species list and hunting was banned, but because the number of gators was already so low from the decades of hunting them before, they weren't a problem. That is the reason you could swim in the seven seas before, remember the whole lake was man made so it was made with swimming in mind to begin with.

Of course when you can't kill gators and when they start showing up in your swimming hole well you really don't want to be in the water anymore unless you have a death wish. I vaguely remember going there in the 70's and seeing people swimming in the water, I know there used to be quite a bit of boating on the lake as well... Of course I also remember lawn darts as a kid, but times change and when you live in a world where no one is supposed to ever get hurt and animals have more rights than people... well some things like keeping a huge swimming hole you made for swimming open for swimming isn't going to be allowed.

That's incorrect. Commercial and recreational hunting were outlawed nationwide in 1962. Alligators were listed in 1967 on the Endangered Species Preservation Act of 1966 (precursor to ESA of 1973).

BuddyThomas

You keep missing the key fact... the LAKE is nothing more than a HUGE pool. It was and is completely artificial. Or do you think that because Typhoon Lagoon has landscaping to make it look rustic that Disney should welcome alligators and snakes to use it at their leisure.
You do know that you could never swim in it anyway, even if there were ZERO gators, right? You do realize that? It is polluted like the Hudson River and going in there would almost certainly open you up to getting sick.

Old Mouseketeer

You keep missing the key fact... the LAKE is nothing more than a HUGE pool. It was and is completely artificial. Or do you think that because Typhoon Lagoon has landscaping to make it look rustic that Disney should welcome alligators and snakes to use it at their leisure.

So, you don't see any difference between an artificial lagoon with a dirt/clay bottom and sand beaches CONNECTED to a large natural lake, surrounded by swamps inhabited by wildlife, including alligators and snapping turtles with no fences AND a collection of chlorinated concrete pools, canals, and slides surrounded by fencing to keep out dangerous wildlife?

REALLY?

LAKid53

Premium Member
I'm a stuffed gator

Albert_and_Alberta.jpg

I'm a Gator hunter, especially the stuffed variety....

8a8ef54ae76c71c2512de652e5a1c338.jpg

😉

😁

Old Mouseketeer

It is just another thing to add, that is all.

As I said before, then you deal with them when they do this instead of tip toeing around because you are afraid someone is going to go "Jane Fonda" on you

Well, it depends--are we talking 1968 "Barbarella" Jane Fonda, or 2017 "Our Souls at Night" Jane Fonda? Just asking.
(Mind you, the 2017 version is still way out of my league, but a guy can dream!)

LAKid53

Premium Member
Reality is gators like to grab their prey, drown it and wedge it in the water to soften up a bit before they actually eat it so the water can help tenderize the body because their digestive system isn't as good as other animals. So a lot of those you say are inconclusive are likely just the ones where they saw the definitive bite marks of a gator and found the person wedged in some brush the way an alligator would be expected to do. So probably not really inconclusive unless you only want to chalk one up to the gator when they find the remains inside its stomach.

Alligators can't chew their food, so they rip and tear off chunks to swallow - rotting flesh makes this easier. Their digestive system is quite efficient, given that they eat huge portions - equivalent to a human consuming a 37 lb turkey in one meal. Their increased stomach acidity gives their digestive system an important speed boost. If acidity was low, digestion would be slower and the contents of a full stomach could putrefy, possibly killing the animal.

LAKid53

Premium Member

The Lagoon was closed due to the infestation of microscopic organisms, not the presence of alligators.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom