Can you swim on the beaches of the Seven Seas Lagoon?

LaughingGravy

Disney had the Seven Seas Lagoon as more of a recreation area for years and could have maintained it, but they chose not to and now it is a wildlife preserve with limited boating/fishing with a monorail going around.

Driver

Just a few factual items
1) Seven Seas Lagoon is spring fed it's not a swamp
2) alligators lived on the property long before any of us were born
3) alligators are migratory, so if you somehow were able to remove every one of them today. Within a very short time they would be back.

They are not in our playground, we are in thier home.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I will add to this. Yeah, I think humans trump gators, 100 times fold. If Disney could have kept the lagoon free of gators then I think they should have. A fence around the lagoon would have done that. We cannot climb into the Magic Kingdom because of fences, so why not do the same with gators and the lagoon. And if one gets in, you deal with it whichever way that is. It is man made.

polynesiangirl

This just reminded me that I swam in the Seven Seas Lagoon, in what had to have been one of the last years it was allowed. It was not an especially magical memory, I remember it being kinda gross (though in fairness even now as an adult I don't really love lake swimming in general.)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not being able to swim in it now hasn't been a tremendous personal loss for me, hahaha. ;) And I, too, thought it was the amoebas that put an end to the swimming in there, not the gators. (Or at least in addition to the gators.)

LittleBuford

I will add to this. Yeah, I think humans trump gators, 100 times fold. If Disney could have kept the lagoon free of gators then I think they should have. A fence around the lagoon would have done that. We cannot climb into the Magic Kingdom because of fences, so why not do the same with gators and the lagoon. And if one gets in, you deal with it whichever way that is. It is man made.

:rolleyes:

xAHfAQu.jpg

Cosmic Commando

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

To be fair, all of us can climb that fence too. But if there is barbed wire on the fence (like around the back of the Magic Kingdom for instance) no alligator, even an acrobatic gator, can climb over it. It can be done, it isn't like it is impossible to keep gators out.

....................and then there are those so concerned about the rights of an alligator that they would be fine with it biting and possibly ripping off limbs of guests that paid hundreds of dollars to vacation.............until it happens to them. Honestly, you wouldn't want to vacation in a land where they are ignorant of wild animals lurking around.

LittleBuford

To be fair, all of us can climb that fence too. But if there is barbed wire on the fence (like around the back of the Magic Kingdom for instance) no alligator, even an acrobatic gator, can climb over it. It can be done, it isn't like it is impossible to keep gators out.

....................and then there are those so concerned about the rights of an alligator that they would be fine with it biting and possibly ripping off limbs of guests that paid hundreds of dollars to vacation.............until it happens to them. Honestly, you wouldn't want to vacation in a land where they are ignorant of wild animals lurking around.

I'd rather not have the area around the lagoon looking like a prison compound. There's a simple solution to this, which is to stay out of the lake and exercise caution when near it, as one should do around any body of water in Florida. You're making it seem as if hundreds of guests a year are having their limbs ripped off by predatory alligators, when in fact there's only ever been one (admittedly tragic) incident in the history of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
I'd rather not have the area around the lagoon looking like a prison compound. There's a simple solution to this, which is to stay out of the lake and exercise caution when near it, as one should do around any body of water in Florida. You're making it seem as if hundreds of guests a year are having their limbs ripped off by predatory alligators, when in fact there's only ever been one (admittedly tragic) incident in the history of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

It doesn't have to look like a prison. Do you see gates around the Magic Kingdom? They can do it in a way where the fences are in the middle of the trees in the distance. Either way, it isn't as if gators are ripping people's limbs off everyday in WDW, but why risk it? If a gator is ever spotted on the property you get rid of it. You never heard of the kid in 1986 at Fort Wilderness that was nearly dragged into the water by a gator only to have his two siblings rescue him? It can be done to keep them out.

LittleBuford

It doesn't have to look like a prison. Do you see gates around the Magic Kingdom? They can do it in a way where the fences are in the middle of the trees in the distance. Either way, it isn't as if gators are ripping people's limbs off everyday in WDW, but why risk it? If a gator is ever spotted on the property you get rid of it. You never heard of the kid in 1986 at Fort Wilderness that was nearly dragged into the water by a gator only to have his two siblings rescue him? It can be done to keep them out.

It's a large body of water in Central Florida; keeping alligators out is simply impossible. As long as people are careful, guests and wildlife can coexist with minimal trouble. You're making a mountain out of a molehill (or, more fittingly perhaps, a lake out of a puddle).

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
It's a large body of water in Central Florida; keeping alligators out is simply impossible. As long as people are careful, guests and wildlife can coexist with minimal trouble. You're making a mountain out of a molehill (or, more fittingly perhaps, a lake out of a puddle).

To each their own. Disney could find ways to avoid the risk altogether. People pay a lot of money to stay there, give them a beach experience too. You wouldn't want an alligator as a pet, you know?

lazyboy97o

Gators routinely get through all sorts of fencing, even barbed wire.

LittleBuford

To each their own. Disney could find ways to avoid the risk altogether. People pay a lot of money to stay there, give them a beach experience too. You wouldn't want an alligator as a pet, you know?

If someone wants a beach experience in Florida, they can go to an actual beach (where, incidentally, they'll face the threat of sharks), or to the amazing fake version offered at Typhoon Lagoon. I seriously doubt anyone is booking their Disney holiday with the expectation of being able to frolic in the waters of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
If someone wants a beach experience in Florida, they can go to an actual beach (where, incidentally, they'll face the threat of sharks), or to the amazing fake version offered at Typhoon Lagoon. I seriously doubt anyone is booking their Disney holiday with the expectation of being able to frolic in the waters of the Seven Seas Lagoon.

It is just another thing to add, that is all.

Gators routinely get through all sorts of fencing, even barbed wire.

As I said before, then you deal with them when they do this instead of tip toeing around because you are afraid someone is going to go "Jane Fonda" on you

Minnie Mum

Dude. Give it up. Thinking that you could effectively fence in all of the lagoon is laughable, not to mention financially unrealistic. Fences don't work well against Gators. Those fences around MK? Don't work against Gators. There are always Gators in the water in Frontierland. The best they can do is remove the biggest ones, which they also do in the lagoon. But let's suppose they COULD keep gators out of the lagoon. (and the fact that it is man made is completely irrelevant, by the way) You still couldn't safely swim there. I wasn't kidding when I said swimming was banned because if the brain eating amoebas. Don't believe me? Look it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom