Can anyone tell me about the 5-Night Canada/New England Coast Cruise NY departure ?

JPL

Original Poster
Hi all, we are thinking of going on our first Disney cruise, we have it narrowed down to the 5-Night Canada/New England Coast Cruise out of New York City. Anyone here been on that cruise? What is there to do in Halifax? Who's the best person/agency to book with for the best price? Any info and/or insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
J
:)

sweetpee_1993

It's my understanding Disney Cruise Lines has not previously sailed this itinerary. Maybe you could dig into other cruise specific sites for other cruise lines that have and see what people say about the ports (like maybe cruisecritic.com). I haven't looked but I expect that Disney Cruise Line has port info and offerings on their website as well. Wish I could be more help.

A great TA to book with would be our own disneyfalcon/Tammy. She is part of the Kingdom Konsultants team, a great earmarked agency who also is a sponsor here. Tammy is a Disney fan, experienced cruiser, and great lady. When you book with any agent you'll get basically the same price DCL puts out there unless an agency has booked a block of rooms they intend to fill. I know from experience that Tammy & Kingdom Konsultants in general will watch pricing continually even after you book. If a discount opens or a price drops they'll be on top of saving you all that they can. Also, they'll help you get all the onboard credits you can get. Great agency. Tammy is an awesome agent. Can't recommend them enough. :wave:

JPL

Original Poster
It's my understanding Disney Cruise Lines has not previously sailed this itinerary. Maybe you could dig into other cruise specific sites for other cruise lines that have and see what people say about the ports (like maybe cruisecritic.com). I haven't looked but I expect that Disney Cruise Line has port info and offerings on their website as well. Wish I could be more help.

A great TA to book with would be our own disneyfalcon/Tammy. She is part of the Kingdom Konsultants team, a great earmarked agency who also is a sponsor here. Tammy is a Disney fan, experienced cruiser, and great lady. When you book with any agent you'll get basically the same price DCL puts out there unless an agency has booked a block of rooms they intend to fill. I know from experience that Tammy & Kingdom Konsultants in general will watch pricing continually even after you book. If a discount opens or a price drops they'll be on top of saving you all that they can. Also, they'll help you get all the onboard credits you can get. Great agency. Tammy is an awesome agent. Can't recommend them enough. :wave:

Thanks for the info! I will call Tammy today and check out cruisecritic.com as well, hmmm, I wonder how the waves will be in the north Atlantic.....:shrug:

sweetpee_1993

I can ask my dad about what to expect the seas to be like in general. Dad is a 24 year USNavy vet whose sailed all over the world numbers of times. He has a great understanding & general knowledge about what times of year which seas will be rough or mild. Some of his best stories are from the north Atlantic, some of the biggest waves he ever saw. He says they dwarfed the cruisers & destroyers he was on. As a young sailor being pitched from his berth was pretty terrifying but then as the salty old guy he delighted in watching the younger swabs freak out. I'm pretty sure the biggest seas are winter months. I'll call him and ask later this morning. I think also the Canadian itineraries will be staying pretty near the coast so that should also help. :)

harryk

We have cruised out of Boston to Canada and beyond several times and have found the seas to be uneventful. Sailed across the North Atlantic from Amsterdam by Iceland, Greenland and down the Canadian coast and it has been fine. This as been between mid-May and mid-September. Would not consider it the other months. Just be sure you are not sailing during hurricane season (or keep your eyes open for north Atlantic hurricanes).

Disneyfalcon

Thanks for the info! I will call Tammy today and check out cruisecritic.com as well, hmmm, I wonder how the waves will be in the north Atlantic.....:shrug:

I think I have a message from you, JPL! I only got half the message though and I was waiting for a call back to get your phone number. I'll call soon! :)

Phonedave

I can ask my dad about what to expect the seas to be like in general. Dad is a 24 year USNavy vet whose sailed all over the world numbers of times. He has a great understanding & general knowledge about what times of year which seas will be rough or mild. Some of his best stories are from the north Atlantic, some of the biggest waves he ever saw. He says they dwarfed the cruisers & destroyers he was on. As a young sailor being pitched from his berth was pretty terrifying but then as the salty old guy he delighted in watching the younger swabs freak out. I'm pretty sure the biggest seas are winter months. I'll call him and ask later this morning. I think also the Canadian itineraries will be staying pretty near the coast so that should also help. :)

I crossed from Maine to Halifax in July way back in the early 1980's

We caught the tail end of a hurricane. There were very few people on that ship that were not throwing up. My brother and I were one of the few that were fine. It must be genetic. My grandfather was a marine machinist and served his apprenticeship working on the fruit lines between NY and South America.

As for Halifax, in the 90's it was quaint, but not much else. The tidal bore was interesting, where the tides rise like 10 feet in under a few minutes or something like that.

-dave

Mkmommy

We are doing this cruise in August, looking forward to showing my kids Halifax, it is a great city, very easy to walk to some of the attractions. Going to walk to the Citadel. If you look on the DCL website there are lots of excursions being offered.

Saint John New Brunswick is near the Bay of Fundy and I would love to do the excursion to Fundy National Park, but it is a lot of time on the bus and my youngest does not do buses well, so I am still thinking, maybe will rent a car and head out .

I may have a problem though, the cruise portion is a surprise, my girls are really really excited about going to New York and have a list a mile long of things they want to do, so I hope they are excited about the cruise when they find out.

I can't wait to get pictures sailing past the Statue of Liberty.

ChuckElias

JPL said:
Can anyone tell me about the 5-Night Canada/New England Coast Cruise NY departure ?
All I can tell you is that I'll be on the August 5th sailing! We haven't booked shore excursions yet. I've looked through them and nothing really grabbed me. Actually, that's not true, but the ones that grabbed me included bus rides of 1.5 - 3 hours each way. I did that to see the Vatican, but not sure I'm willing to do it to see the tide come in.

Mkmommy

All I can tell you is that I'll be on the August 5th sailing! We haven't booked shore excursions yet. I've looked through them and nothing really grabbed me. Actually, that's not true, but the ones that grabbed me included bus rides of 1.5 - 3 hours each way. I did that to see the Vatican, but not sure I'm willing to do it to see the tide come in.

Sounds like us. If that is to Fundy National Park , I checked the tide times and we are on the Aug 12 cruise and then it would be high tide so another reason I am shying away from this tour. The flowerpots are really impressive at low tide and being able to go and walk around them is very memorable, but not the same at high tide.

angieandtrevor

Halifax is beautiful city (although I am a bit biased). Your ship will dock right in the downtown area so there are lots of places that are within walking distance. I would suggest walking up to Citadel Hill, wear something comfortable because the city is built on a hill however the views from the top are beautiful and only about a 15 minute walk uphill.

If seeing the fort doesn't interest you then you could also do an excursion out to Peggy's Cove, which is definitely a place that most people love although it will eat up most of your day in Halifax. I am sure the ship will offer this excursion however if not there is always cabs waiting at the port who would take you out there (it will be about a 30-40 minute drive each way).

You can also do a Harbour Hopper tour which is about an hour long. You will visit some historical sites while touring around the city. The tour is on land for part of the time and then you go right in the harbour for a little boat tour, it is pretty neat. We have done it several time (and we live here) and each time we enjoy it more. The prices are very reasonable and it is a great way to see the city without having to walk it on your own.
http://www.mtcw.ca/harbourhopper/

If you are seafood lovers then you are definitely in for treat. All of the restaurants on the waterfront have great menus and the food is amazing. I would recommend Murphy's on the Waterfront because their seafood is delicious and they patio is right out on the water.

Hopefully this helps a little, Happy Planning :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom