Camcorder worth it?

neobot85

Hi all!

Our trip to Disney is less than three weeks away, and I'm debating on whether or not to bring the camcorder. We're a young couple, and this is our second time visiting (although first time on Disney property). I always felt like the camcorder was really something you'd bring when you're going with kids since it's great to record them experiencing Disney for the first time, but I'm worried I'm going to miss out on something or not enjoy the Disney experience as much if I'm constantly recording (or even recording shows/parades).

For those of you who have gone w/o kids (and those with kids - your thoughts are definitely welcome as well!), what's your opinion? Did you find that the camcorder sort of dampened the experience a bit? I'd like this to be a romantic/fun/exciting experience, and I have a feeling recording stuff is going to ruin that.

Thoughts? :)

mwbrown

I brought our camcorder the last time two times (and we have two kids), and I barely used it at all (maybe 1 hour of video from both trips). I found myself enjoying the experience so much that I didn't take myself out of it by recording it. Most of the rides and shows are available as downloadable videos from a couple of different websites, so I have wonderful videos of the shows and parades better than I could have recorded when I want to relive the experience.

Despite this, my advice would be take it in case, but don't feel obligated to use it or disappointed if you don't. I am a better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it type of person, but I don't regret that my video-taping was limited. I have some nice shots of my kids meeting the princesses which I love, but otherwise left it in the bag.

I am headed back in July, and I imagine I will have my camera with me; I just might not use it that much...

Upvote 0

WDWmom64055

We leave Thursday on our third Disney trip in 9 years. This is the first time I'm taking the camcorder. Here's why:

Hauling a camcorder through the parks is something I have absolutely no desire to do. Our last trip was DLR. We stayed at HoJos, so I saw no reason to take the camcorder. On the trip prior to that I was traveling alone with a 3 year old. I didn't have a free hand for a camcorder.

This time I'm taking it because I think my boys will get a kick out of filming themselves at the resort. I still won't take it to the parks because I don't want to experience Disney from behind the lens of a camera!

Upvote 0

juscet

"No to Camcorders"

Personally, I find that a camcorder takes away from your enjoyment of things. You are trying so hard to get the perfect shots and angles that the parades and rides are done before you know it. Plus it's something extra to carry, something extra to worry about, and something extra that could break (which, speaking from experience, can be extremely frustrating.) Plus there are so many videos on the internet that you can relive the "magic" whenever you want.;)

Upvote 0

hokielutz

I've done both.... sometimes its good to capture a show... but then when you get home... you wish that you just experienced the full wonder of the show without a camcorder in front of your face. I've also gotten some great video of on-ride experiences and "around the park" stuff that would make for a great highlight DVD one day. But sometimes just taking a still camera will give you all the memories you need.

So it is kinda a toss-up. My wife and I are a semi-young couple (both 31 yrs and no kids yet). I see the reasons to have it on hand... but at the same time it is much more liberating to not carry equipment around. If I lived closer... it would be a much easier decision. Since we don't, gotta make some memories.

I'll pack it, but it really depends on whether I feel like bringing it to the park each day. I know this was rambling and not a clear-cut answer that you are looking for, but that is the dilemma that I have faced for the last several trips we have taken to WDW. If the camera is small enough... it might be good to pack it in the same bag as your camera or her purse.

Also... good luck with the crowds down there in June. Remember to be early-birds for the parks you want to see. That way you can take things leisurely in the afternoon and not be stuck in 1-2 hour lines for the top attractions.

Upvote 0

Elonwy

I have taken a camcorder once and NEVER AGAIN.

I was the only one using it in our party and everyone wanted every parade, every fireworks, every character on film.

It just got to be too much and I felt like I just spent my entire trip seeing Disney World on a 2 dimensional 1.8 inch screen. :mad:

I love having a digital camera and for those special moments where a picture just wouldn't do it justice i would take some video on it...for example, you could take a picture of "Push" the talking garbage can but it just looks like a garbage can until you see him move and hear him talk.

You just have to make sure to have lots of memory card storage and batteries ;)

Upvote 0

Disneykidder

Never taken mine in all of my years going. Just too much of a hastle. I'd love the memories of it, but I can see it getting in my way of fun.

Sometimes I wish I didn't even have my camera on trips. I take hundreds of pictures and even that gets annoying. But, I am a snapper and love to see the end product.

Upvote 0

Philo

We are also a young couple with no kids. I took mine the first time and I made a great home video. I don't really see the point taking it again. My camera is very small so it wasn't really a hastle and in some ways having the camera made you look out for fun things to record which you wouldn't have seen otherwise.

One thing I did notice was that during fantasmic for example, I spent more time worrying about where my camera was pointing and making sure that I wasn't disturbing anyone behind me that I didn't really pay attention to the show. When I saw it without camera in had it was a lot more enjoyable.

I guess you basically need to ask yourself if your a camcorder kind of person? Do you enjoy filming or are you only doing it because you feel like you should?

Upvote 0

maryszhi

Hi all!

Our trip to Disney is less than three weeks away, and I'm debating on whether or not to bring the camcorder. We're a young couple, and this is our second time visiting (although first time on Disney property). I always felt like the camcorder was really something you'd bring when you're going with kids since it's great to record them experiencing Disney for the first time, but I'm worried I'm going to miss out on something or not enjoy the Disney experience as much if I'm constantly recording (or even recording shows/parades).

For those of you who have gone w/o kids (and those with kids - your thoughts are definitely welcome as well!), what's your opinion? Did you find that the camcorder sort of dampened the experience a bit? I'd like this to be a romantic/fun/exciting experience, and I have a feeling recording stuff is going to ruin that.

Thoughts? :)
I love home movies. I know it may be a pain to bring, but it may be fun to film a little bit and to film some of your fav. rides. Pictures are nice, but rewatching your vacation and hearing stuff is amazing

Upvote 0
I have two kids and I brought my camcorder and didn't use it once. I will not be bringing it this year it's to much of a hassle. I figure if there is really something I want to video I'll put my camera in the movie mode and tape a minute or so but I doubt I will even do that.

Upvote 0

NEmickeyfan

Well, here's the deal. If you don't mind viewing your trip through screen on your camcorder, then take it. I have taken mine two times and I am so glad I did. Most camcorders are small enough that it is not too much of a hassle to carry them around the parks, but it is another thing you have to keep track of and carry around.

Then there is the time it took to transfer the videos to Windows Movie Maker. I was thinking I was crazy for doing all this to create some video memories.

Then, the pay off. Whenever I need my Disney fix or when I am getting anxious for my next trip to the "world", I play the videos. To see the sights and hear the acutal sounds of my vacation experience is well worth it. So, it's a trade off.... view it all first hand and trust your memory to remember your trip, or take the camcorder and tolerate the hassle to have some fun video. Either way, you win in my humble opinion!

Upvote 0

neobot85

Original Poster
Well, based off what I was leaning towards before I posted this and what I've heard here, I'm going to not bring it. Thank you all very much for your input!! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

fizzle75

I have mixed feelings about taking a video camera. I have taken mine with us on two different occasions, once during the holidays back in 2006 and then again last October. I was mainly taking it so I could get some footage of all of the amazing decorations during the holidays(Christmas & Halloween)and to videotape Wishes, Fantasmic and both the parade and fireworks from the event parties(MVMCP,MNSSHP). On both occasions I ended up recording well over ten hours of footage. I got some great footage,we have enjoyed watching it on numerous occasions, and it's gonna be a great way to relive our trips years from now.

My biggest and really only reservation in regards to videotaping is that it tends to suck you out of the "moment". Watching Hallowishes, Fantasmic or Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Parade just isn't the same when viewed through the lens of a camera. As a result I feel like I never really experienced the event parties. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I took the camera cuz I got some great footage but I feel like I missed out on alot by videotaping all of the time.

Having said that, I still encourage you to take it. Just duct tape the camera to your child's head and you'll get some great "kid's eye" footage without missing out on experiencing it yourself.:D

Upvote 0

fizzle75

Well, here's the deal. If you don't mind viewing your trip through screen on your camcorder, then take it. I have taken mine two times and I am so glad I did. Most camcorders are small enough that it is not too much of a hassle to carry them around the parks, but it is another thing you have to keep track of and carry around.

Then there is the time it took to transfer the videos to Windows Movie Maker. I was thinking I was crazy for doing all this to create some video memories.

Then, the pay off. Whenever I need my Disney fix or when I am getting anxious for my next trip to the "world", I play the videos. To see the sights and hear the acutal sounds of my vacation experience is well worth it. So, it's a trade off.... view it all first hand and trust your memory to remember your trip, or take the camcorder and tolerate the hassle to have some fun video. Either way, you win in my humble opinion!

Please tell me how to do this! I have been dying to transfer my videos to DVD but I don't have a clue how to do it since I'm very technologically challenged.

Upvote 0

Kelsybelle

On our trip this past April we didn't take it. This was our first trip without it and we didn't miss it. The only time we brought it and used it was for our Wedding. I'm glad we did because we had all sorts of family with us so it was fun to have that experience on video. We used the video option on our digital camera on this past trip and I think it took great videos. One of my clients always takes a disposable video camera with them. It takes 20 or 30 min of video and they are fairly small. As long as you keep it G rated (where ever you take it to put it on a disc will see whats on it! :lol:) that could be an option.

Upvote 0

-Ariel-

My boyfriend and I also are a young couple (we're both 24) and this August will be our 5th time in Disney World together (we were 20 on our 1st trip in 2004). And we have always wanted our trips to Disney to be magical, fun and romantic. I also have always wondered whether we should carry the camcorder or not for the same reasons that you mentioned. What we've decided to do is not to carry the camcorder on the first days of our trip or whenever we do or watch something for the first time (like a new show, or new attraction). Since we usually stay for 9 or 10 days, we have plenty of time to do or watch what we loved more then 1 time. So I only carry the camcorder on the last few days of our trip to record anything that we have already done or watched and that I want to get on tape. So that way I always get to watch or do eveything for the first time camcorder free, which let's us fully enjoy the magic (and romance!) of the moment. And we also have our favorite stuff on tape so whenever we miss Disney World while at home, we have some videotapes to watch to take us back in the magic!

For example, the last time we went was last christmas time, and it was our first time during the holidays. So when we went to see the Osbourne Spectacle of lights for the 1st time, we didn't bring the camcorder with us and we were so glad we didn't 'cause those lights are sooooooooo beautiful to watch and you enjoy them so much more without a camcorder in front of your face. But then maybe on the last evening of our trip or the one before, we went back and brought the camcorder with us to the spectacle of lights and didn't bother having a camcorder since it was like the 3rd or 4th time we were going to watch the lights on our trip. And I'm glad we have it on tape 'cause we love watching it now and then! It really takes us back to when we were there... Plus I'm sure we'll be glad 20 years from now to have these videos of us having so much fun at our favorite place in the world!

Have a magical vacation!!! :wave:

Upvote 0

PrincessBitty

My hubby & I (both under 30) always take a camcorder to Disney with us. Ours is really small & it's so fun to look back at the video - it's little things we notice in the parks, special things for the holidays, favorite rides/shows - the stuff that's fun when you need a Disney fix. On top of that, we always take a little "hello" & "goodbye" footage like a mini video diary and that will be something that we will look back on fondly through the years! (Even now we get some laughs at what we said or were wearing!)

Upvote 0

diddy_mouse

We took the video camera with us for the first time this past December and I"m glad we did. It records straight to DVD and is very compact, which is great. I actually grew up with my parents video taping family trips and things like that, so I wanted my own memories with my husband. Sure, there were times I didn't take it to the park (but I secretly wished I had) because we just forgot to grab it. However after spending a good week putting all of the various clips together to make a DVD....it was very worth it!

I filmed both MVMCP parade and Illuminations with the Holiday Tag but I didn;t feel like I was taken out of the moment. You can actually hear me sniffling during the very end of Illuminations because I was so into the show! :lol:

This time around I actually want to get more of "us" on camera, experiencing rides and such. I love going back to watch it and hear all of the funny things we say or reactions we have. Now I enjoy taking pictures as well, but there's just something about watching us on the first day of the trip, walk through Adventureland and take to traditional ride on Pirates. I actually get a happy chill when I see it. :)

So...yay for video cameras! :D

Upvote 0

Mickey'n'Minnie

My boyfriend and I have taken 2 trips to Disney and this year will be our third and we've always brought the camcorder with us.

I agree with what a few people have said that it takes you out of the moment when you're filming shows and what not, and believe me, its definately annoying when he's scrambling to put it away because we're getting on a ride lol....HOWEVER he just surprised me by putting clips of our videos together and it turned out beautifully. It really helps when you're missing Disney since you can throw on your dvd and watch it!

It's really up to you guys! Ours is small enough that its only an annoyance once in a while :ROFLOL: have a wonderful trip!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom