Calorie Counting at WDW

What is the Absolute Best Cup of Coffee at WDW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Michael Shiels

Original Poster
Just chiming in here because I have some actual data on the calorie counting form my last trip. I happened to get a pedometer as a Christmas present this past year and brought it with me to WDW in the first week of January. It’s not a perfect assessment, but my results were as follows:

Avg day:
In parks from 9 am-12:30pm.
Rest in hotel until usually 3:30.
In parks until closing or 9pm at latest if open later.
2-3 trips to food court for refillable soda per day
I was wrangling 1 10 year old, and pushing a 3 year old in a stroller.

All that said, the pedometer had me at 1200-1600 calories per day. DHS days leaned on the lower side. Epcot days obviously skewed higher.
Being that it was pretty cold, I don’t think there were any extra calories burned off due to heat, so I think it’s a somewhat reliable read.
For the OP, this doesn’t help with sodium or cholesterol intake, but I did find that by eating within reasonable but still fun expectations (I very clearly wasn’t dieting, but I did keep myself to 3 meals and 2-3 small snacks per day with somewhat abundant soda intake), I neither lost nor gained any weight during my 8 day stay.

Awesome insight..I have been thinking about purchasing a Fitbit for my wife and myself to better calculate BMR and calories burned. I can't think of a better place to use it then at WDW! Thanks!

zurgandfriend

People always say that, but you can still do some serious calorie damage at WDW even with walking.

Lets assume a 10 mile walk in a day - which I think is probably on the high side for most. That would be about 1000 calories spent on the optimistic side.

Now look at the food. Something like a Turkey Leg - 1000 calories, Mickey bar around 500 calories, throw in some sodas, a breakfast, lunch, dinner, and you are easily in the 3000 - 4000 calories a day range and heck knows how much excess sugar and fat.

So even with the walk, it is still very easy to be in an excess calorie situation.

Very true, I did say "eat sensibly" along with the walking and swimming.

Daxiegirl

I would bet, since you are so good anyway about what you are eating, that you'll get full faster and not be able to tolerate too much rich food anyway. That should help....:rolleyes:

cw1982

Awesome insight..I have been thinking about purchasing a Fitbit for my wife and myself to better calculate BMR and calories burned. I can't think of a better place to use it then at WDW! Thanks!

I have several friends who love their fitbits! I want one, but I usually use a heart rate monitor when I'm doing my cardio, and something about having all these gadgets to keep up with is somewhat annoying lol. I still may end up getting one, especially now that I'm two years out from weight loss surgery and am getting to where I can eat a little more than I could immediately afterwards.

Mawg

I have to agree with some of the other posters. Don't count calories as WDW, just make the best effort when your not on vacation.

DisneyPrincess5

Welcome aboard! I am one to head straight for something cheesy or starchy but on our honeymoon this past fall, I was determined to feel good which for me means eating foods high in nutrition. You'd be shocked at how well you can eat at disney. I ate many fruit and vegetable snacks and made better choices at quick service including carrot or apple sides. Good luck-you can do it! Have fun.

DisneyPrincess5

I actually lost 8 lbs during our 24 days at both WDW and Universal last year. I paced myself and made smart choices, allowing a treat everyday for good behavior (missed 3 days of but one was the Fireworks dessert party!).

It's doable when you have a goal in mind and don't want to stray away from it.
:eek:Good for you! I always secretly hope that will happen because we walk a ton and I don't eat too poorly. Maybe one day!

Michael Shiels

Original Poster
I plan to keep to fruits/veggies with a small protein item...baked chicken or something without sauces or butter. Except the night we go to Le Cellier...all bets off that night!

Michael Shiels

Original Poster
I actually lost 8 lbs during our 24 days at both WDW and Universal last year. I paced myself and made smart choices, allowing a treat everyday for good behavior (missed 3 days of but one was the Fireworks dessert party!).

It's doable when you have a goal in mind and don't want to stray away from it.

I sure hope I can walk away not gaining too much weight...like I said earlier...last trip I came back 2 lbs lighter...

LucyK

I plan to keep to fruits/veggies with a small protein item...baked chicken or something without sauces or butter. Except the night we go to Le Cellier...all bets off that night!
Columbia Harbor House is a great choice for healthy meals at MK. The grilled salmon served with couscous and broccoli is pretty tasty and full of good nutrients and vitamin. I ask everything with sauce on the side so I can either use it sparsely or not at all.

Fishbait

I sure hope I can walk away not gaining too much weight...like I said earlier...last trip I came back 2 lbs lighter...

You'll be fine. Just make smart choices. I usually eat a decent breakfast, light lunch with snacks, and then eat what I want for dinner. You should be able to have a pretty good estimate of the amount of cals you are ingesting through normal food and then overestimate the intake for the special meals. Moving, walking, sweating takes care of the rest. If you have a fitbit or like gizmo you should have an estimate of your burn. Go from there.

And honestly, you are on vacation. It is ok to relax a bit and enjoy yourself. As long as you don't go overboard, you won't do enough damage that can't be erased after you get home. If you are really worried about it, you could always get up a little early and lift some weights. The burn that comes from lifting keeps going for several hours after you're done.

HouCuseChickie

I'm with @LucyK - I always lose weight from WDW trips. It wasn't quite as significant last trip since we weren't having to push a stroller, but still...we walk so much that I usually seem to lose at least 5 lbs. I always wonder what my weight struggles would be like if I were in a position to have my weekly exercise routine involve walking in the Disney parks. i.e. 3-5 days a week for a year. It would be a fun AP challenge...assuming I lived close enough to make this happen, didn't have to work, etc. Still, there's a lot more motivation to walk from MSUSA all over the place than there is to walk around my neighborhood. And the food to cheat with is usually more fun too :)

DisneyDebNJ

Alot of posters are certainly offering excellent advice... I diet a few months prior to our trip, and in my mind, I always say I'm going to eat everything in sight! Actually, I still get my quota of veggies a day (5 servings per day as far as weight watchers is concerned) I do beef maybe... twice in 10 days, and forego alot of fried foods. (I won't lie, I get my husband or my son to get a funnel cake, or fish n chips from Yorkshire County Shop and sneak a bite... OK maybe two bites) But I try to keep myself in check (lots of fruits during breakfast, or juice) I gained 2 lbs last November. A common saying I have at Disney is *can I have the sauce on the side?* Have I ever left Disney where my jeans are a bit snug?? You betcha... but I got wiser with age :)

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Wait, what, there are calories at Disney?! ;)

I agree with all the other posters. Just make good food selections, watch your portion control and you will be alright - Disney meals can be a lot of food and many times we have shared an order. We eat breakfast in our room - I don't like the breakfasts at the resorts (unless we do a special breakfast at one of the parks) and usually eat light for lunch - avoiding fried food if we can. And then have a good dinner - lean meat/fish, veggies, etc. And treat ourselves with a shared dessert. Many times we just have what my mother called supper for dinner - a nice big salad and some soup - as we are pretty tired after spending 6-7 hours in a park.

I try to avoid all the sugary/salty snacks and beverages during the day - we have roll up water bottles that hold quite a bit and bring those into the parks with us. However, I will treat myself to an ice cream on a hot day and then skip the dessert at dinner.

You should do okay. I always come back a few pounds lighter from our trips.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom