California Grill...

GrimmGhosts999

Original Poster
I'm so excited, we're eating at the California Grill during our stay this year. Has anyone been there to eat just before the WISHES fireworks? How is it....is it worth going out on the observation deck to watch? Also, what's the dress code like? Nice pants, button-down shirt and tie....or what? Don't wanna be too dressed. But i don't mind dressing a little bit.

:veryconfu

monorailguy01

It is worth it to watch Wishes from the deck. you get the best view I think. As far as what to wear, I would say a polo shirt and nice pair of pants would do just fine. I never ate there. But I have seen people walk in that place with a suite and tie on.

Im sure you can find some info at www.allearsnet.com

XNightmaresX

nice shirt and pants is fine. my fiance actually wore a button down shirt with khaki shorts and it was fine. its business casual. we had a table right next to the window (he had proposed a few minutes before we got there at epcot on spaceship earth!!!) during the fireworks. it was beautiful so we sat and watched from our table however we had the option of them waiting a little on the food if we wanted to go watch the fireworks outside. standing outside was absolutely gorgeous watching the castle and everything. i'd get a spot early though cause it does fill up quickly. the food was great (especially the flat bread!!) and the desserts were incredible. i definetely recommend it

metscool

It is really good. My parents went there for my mom's 40 birthday. The one thing that I have to say is DON'T dress up nice for it. My parents did that and they were look at during there dinner.

rbrower

I hope that you have a good experience that is nothing like the one I had (which I wont mention any more than this: If you want to know what I am talking about, go to the dining section of the forums and read the thread called California Grill). Anyways, have a great time on your trip!

rbrower

It is really good. My parents went there for my mom's 40 birthday. The one thing that I have to say is DON'T dress up nice for it. My parents did that and they were look at during there dinner.

Really?
When I went, they wouldnt let people in if they werent dressed up. maybe it was just because I went at Thanksgiving.

ilovepluto23

We ate there two years ago and saw Wishes from our table. They waited to bring our food out until Wishes was over, which was really great.

I went in 2004, and it was pretty casual...we all had jeans on. I think it's changed now though.

3IAlienKid

I read somewhere that in the past couple of months they are starting to enforce a dress code. I don't recall exactly what it is, but I remember thinking that the way I dressed (polo shirt, shorts, flip-flops) the last time we went 2 years ago will not pass the next time I go. You can always call the restaurant direct and find out.

makonyy15

As for the dress, I've seen people in like said before, pants and a button down shirt, but I've also seen bahama style shorts with a polo shirt or button down shirt and docksiders (Sp?). Sometimes people come up to grab a drink in the lounge, and that's where you see the less dressed. I've also seen groups of 2 families with younger kids (8 and under), with the kids in whatever they wore all day, and even though they looked out of place it was acceptable IMHO, because you rarely see it.

I don't think you'd spend $90 a person, but of course entrees are pretty expensive, also depending on what you get. That may be factoring in each person getting their own appetizer, desert, plus alcohol. I know my parent's always order a bottle of Chardonnay, which typically adds $60-$100 to the bill depending on the wine.

It's definitely worth it! Great food and great views!

clarkstallings

I don't mean to be negative, but it was quite possibly my worst $250 dollar dining experience ever. All of the food was in between OK and bad. The desserts were good, but those are tricky to screw up in any real restaurant. The atmosphere was that of a mad house, kids everywhere (not that I don't like kids.) I was expecting it to be a bit subdued considering it requires a special elevator and all to get to. If you want a good restaurant at Disney, go to the Flying Fish Cafe! I hope they just had an off-night when I was there, but it'll be some time before I venture back to the California Grill.

Slosh

said it before and I'll say it again- Best restaurant on property, but a LOT of people who have absolutely no business in that kind of restaurant go just to see the fireworks. And that draw manages to ruin the ambiance for most of the serious foodies. If you're really in it for the food, go for an early dinner or go after the fireworks-- the kitchen will be less slammed with special orders and kids meals. If you're just in it for the fireworks, save the $50-$150 per person and watch them from inside the park.

oh yeah, dress code, which is actually being enforced now:
NO T-shirts, tank tops, swimwear, or flip-flops.

Vernonpush

The dress codes are being enforced at the upscale restaurants now. Last May at Artist Point at the Wilderness Lodge, we saw a man in a nice silk T-shirt being given a polo shirt from a trunk at the host/hostess counter to wear during dinner.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I don't mean to be negative, but it was quite possibly my worst $250 dollar dining experience ever. All of the food was in between OK and bad. The desserts were good, but those are tricky to screw up in any real restaurant. The atmosphere was that of a mad house, kids everywhere (not that I don't like kids.) I was expecting it to be a bit subdued considering it requires a special elevator and all to get to. If you want a good restaurant at Disney, go to the Flying Fish Cafe! I hope they just had an off-night when I was there, but it'll be some time before I venture back to the California Grill.

I would't go quite this far...probably somewhere between this and the post that followed by slosh. Last time I went was before they changed the access procedure, so it was even worse, but I still have a hard time with everyone going there expecting to coordinate the meal with fireworks. Most seats have poor visibility to the MK windows, and the coordination of meals with the fireworks (to go out on the roof) is rarely successful. For our special meals, Victoria and Albert's never disappoints, and instead of California Grill, we will choose Flying Fish, Yachtsman's or Artist Point.

Boardwalk Joe's

from the WDW site...

Dress Attire is Business Casual
Men: Dress slacks, jeans, trousers, or dress shorts, short or long-sleeved shirt with a collar required. Jackets are optional.
Ladies: Jeans, skirts, or dress shorts with blouse or sweater, or a dress required.
Not permitted in dining room: tank tops, swimming suits or swim suit cover ups, t-shirts, hats for gentleman, cut offs, or torn clothing of any kind.

I'm freaking out because I still cant find availability for my upcoming trip...
305741.gif

makonyy15

I'd have to say if you don't care about seeing the fireworks, definitely aim to be seated between 6-7. What my family does is eat dinner at the California Grill, making sure it's an EMH for MK, so we eat a little earlier, and then make our way to the park for the fireworks, and the rest of EMH. You could definitely tell that once it started getting towards 8-9PM up there it started getting incredibly loud and rowdy. I do think something needs to be done about that, but there's almost nothing Disney can do.

Slosh

well, 1 entree is between 25 and 45 bucks, an app is 8-18, and dessert is about that range too- so unless you just get a plate of pasta and nothing to drink, I'd expect to pay about 50-150 per person, depending on how much and what you drink.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom