California Grill to debut new fixed price three course menu.

TrainsOfDisney

I agree. It all comes down to what Disney intended for Cali Grill. I honestly don't believe they ever intended it to be a coffee and dessert spot with included fireworks viewing. I guess we'll know for certain when the new menu comes out.
Honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if this became a dessert party location soon. Why hire a chef when you can throw cupcakes at the guests and make the same $$$? Haha

UNCgolf

And why aren’t there enough restaurants to go around? Is that the fault of the guests?

I don't think it's possible for Disney to build and staff enough restaurants to let every guest eat where they want. There are always going to be restaurants that are more desirable than others, and that's the problem. It's simply selfish to take reservations at a high end (in Disney terms, at least) restaurant for dessert only, both because of the impact on other guests and because of how much you're hurting the wait staff.

It also (as I mentioned above) ties in with the fact that these people aren't going there and having dessert and leaving. If they were, it would be less of an issue (although still an issue in that they're taking the reservation from someone else), but they're also all staying for extended periods of time.

They do need to build more restaurants, but that's not going to lessen the desirability of the California Grill.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

He absolutely isn’t. Whenever WDW has a problem, almost always one they created, their solution is to take it out on the guest. Always and inevitably. Crowds too high? Manipulate guests using convoluted planning software and jack the price way up. Parties too crowded? Cut entertainment and jack the prices way up. People only ordering deserts at a restaurant? You get the idea. The solution is never for WDW to change the behavior that caused the problem, find a solution that doesn’t negatively effect the guest experience, or otherwise inconvenience themselves in any way. For what is supposed to be a world class resort, it’s unforgivable.

I'm not in favor of the prix fixe menu -- it's hard for me to imagine ever eating prix fixe anywhere because it's not worth it for me -- and I made other suggestions that would be better above. But Disney trying to stop people from making reservations to spend an hour and a half only having dessert isn't taking something out on guests; it's actually helping guests (and staff) regardless of their actual motivation. It's better for the average guest to actually be able to make reservations to eat a full meal.

Last edited:

zapple

When they let people come back up to see fireworks with their receipt they didn’t seem to have this problem. Maybe they could, I don’t know, start letting people do that again and maybe they wouldn’t have to punish people with a prix fixe. But they’re using covid as an excuse for lots of things these days.

Casper Gutman

I'm not in favor of the prix fixe menu -- it's hard for me to imagine ever eating prix fixe anywhere because it's not worth it for me -- and I made other suggestions that would be better above. But Disney trying to stop people from making reservations to spend an hour and a half only having dessert isn't taking something out on guests; it's actually helping guests (and staff) regardless of their actual motivation. It's better for the average guest to actually be able to make reservations to eat a full meal.
No, it would be better for the average guest to be able to eat what they like in a TS that they like - perhaps not the exact one, but an appealing one - when they want to. But the lack of TS capacity and the ADR idiocy precludes that and creates situations like this one. The bottom line on modern Disney is this: they want money from a much larger crowd of guests then their current facilities can handle.

UNCgolf

No, it would be better for the average guest to be able to eat what they like in a TS that they like - perhaps not the exact one, but an appealing one - when they want to. But the lack of TS capacity and the ADR idiocy precludes that and creates situations like this one. The bottom line on modern Disney is this: they want money from a much larger crowd of guests then their current facilities can handle.

I agree with all of this, but it has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

People making reservations and taking a table for an hour+ simply to eat dessert is bad. It would be equally as bad if reservations were day of instead of two months in advance.

If Disney had 15 more TS restaurants available, it wouldn't fix this because it's specifically a California Grill and fireworks problem.

SammyMF

People making reservations and taking a table for an hour+ simply to eat dessert is bad. It would be equally as bad if reservations were day of instead of two months in advance.
An interesting point. You reserve a spot at such a place two months in advance knowing full well that you (plural) are only going to get a dessert and not a dinner. Suggests ulterior motives about location, not products and services. Not a comment about whether or not something is right or wrong. But it is what it is.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
They could go to Citricos? Narcoosees? Ohana? Toledo? Topolinos? Yachtsman?
Also it’s not a problem that a guest might just want a dessert, the issue is people tying up a table for hours picking at a cheesecake so they can watch fireworks.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here is the new menu for the 50th -

cgs029384029840293482039482342.jpg

Begins October 3rd, with reservations available September 23rd.

MaryJaneP

Time fixe ? Dessert only ? maybe 20 minutes. Apps only? maybe 30 minutes. Fireworks time. clear the decks, full dinners only. IMHO

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Menu looks good but will the prix fixe madness ever end? Did Chapek learn a new phrase?

$89 is a deal if you pick the right things, but what if I just feel like chicken that night? Peeing my money away.

$39 for kids is kinda silly, though. Can I leave them at Chef Mickey’s?
…ummm…that’s the downside.

It would only end if rejected. What odds you giving on that?

or is it more likely is accepted, lauded, craved…then expanded?

(remember my “role” is to take all the hate in service to the truth. It must have its day)

ToTBellHop

No AS outrageous…

you’re looking at $220 ish minimum bill for 2 NA adult meals
Depends on the service! Had awful service last time we went…which was like 9 years ago. We’ve been turned off ever since. This menu with the AP discount might be enough to get us back next Spring. As long as they don’t ruin the menu by then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom