California Grill dress code?

LittleBuford

One of the things I most love about being at WDW is the freedom to wear somewhat silly clothing (T-shirts emblazoned with characters, ear hats, etc.) that I couldn’t get away with in my real life. It honestly didn’t occur to me that people would view such attire as unwelcome in some of the “posher” venues in the resort. I’m glad I read this thread, because I would never have thought to change into something smarter when going from the parks to somewhere like California Grill—I’m pretty sure I unwittingly broke the dress code (whose existence I didn’t know about) when dining at the bar there a few years ago.

celluloid

One of the things I most love about being at WDW is the freedom to wear somewhat silly clothing (T-shirts emblazoned with characters, ear hats, etc.) that I couldn’t get away with in my real life. It honestly didn’t occur to me that people would view such attire as unwelcome in some of the “posher” venues in the resort. I’m glad I read this thread, because I would never have thought to change into something smarter when going from the parks to somewhere like California Grill—I’m pretty sure I unwittingly broke the dress code (whose existence I didn’t know about) when dining at the bar there a few years ago.

It is much more lax than it used to be. It is more of a respect situation and guideline. I have never seen anyone turned away.

LittleBuford

It is much more lax than it used to be. It is more of a respect situation and guideline. I have never seen anyone turned away.
I don't recall seeing the restaurant's guidelines (which may well have been my fault). As for the question of respect, in my naivety, I sort of assumed it was an unwritten code among guests that silly Disney garb was considered not only acceptable but even welcome across the resort, even and perhaps especially by those who felt unable themselves to indulge in such silliness. For me, then, being dressed respectfully at Disney would cover things like cleanliness and "decency" (not wearing anything dirty or too revealing) but not smartness per se. I'll certainly be more alert to this issue going forward.

Last edited:

celluloid

I don't recall seeing the restaurant's guidelines (which may well have been my fault). As for the question of respect, in my naivety, I sort of assumed it was an unwritten code among guests that silly Disney garb was considered not only acceptable but even welcome across the resort, even and perhaps especially by those who felt unable themselves to indulge in such silliness. For me, then, being dressed respectfully at Disney would cover things like cleanliness and "decency" (not wearing anything dirty or two revealing) but not smartness per se. I'll certainly be more alert to this issue going forward.

I just know that at one time the grille used to ask of business casual. I think that is really what it comes down to. They want a somewhat nice atmosphere. I think it is to the point where shorts are ok, but not ripped jeans or daisy dukes etc..

I think they kind of aim high with wording and expect/hope for the best.

Victoria and Albert's I think is the only resteraunt that has a high somewhat enforced policy of dress code. That one is Semi- Formal attire whereas California Grille is Business casual.

It is nothing to feel bad about.

NelleBelle

I don't recall seeing the restaurant's guidelines (which may well have been my fault). As for the question of respect, in my naivety, I sort of assumed it was an unwritten code among guests that silly Disney garb was considered not only acceptable but even welcome across the resort, even and perhaps especially by those who felt unable themselves to indulge in such silliness. For me, then, being dressed respectfully at Disney would cover things like cleanliness and "decency" (not wearing anything dirty or too revealing) but not smartness per se. I'll certainly be more alert to this issue going forward.
I'm all for Disney attire. I'd much rather see a clean disney shirt (and I'm not talking about those, "I p**ped at WDW"-style shirts) than a dirty wife-beater, complete with smelly arm pit hair sitting. next to me. I know DH loves his collection of Disney "Hawaiian" (Reyn Spooner, Disney camp-style shirts, etc) to wear out to dinner. Now if I could just get him to wear "ears" in the park, I'd be golden! Seriously, he just started wearing his "Micky-through-the-years" hat at the baseball hat within the last 5 years (hated wearing hats).

CaptainAmerica

You're a good man.

Disney does a bad job of publishing the dress code, and it's even worse on the cruise ships. On a 7 night sailing, they don't give you any clue ahead of time that there's a formal night unless you seek that information out, so people who would have been happy to play along with the dress code end up on the ship without having packed anything nice. So they don't even have the option of dressing appropriately for dinner through no fault of their own.

Raidermatt

What a self-centered and entitled view. California Grill is not Le Bernadin but it isn't McDonald's either and you should have some respect and decency for other guests [and yourself] to at least attempt to meet the required dress code.

If I lived across the street from you, would you mind if I kept my lawn unchecked or decided to turn it into an auto repair shop. My home, my rules, right?
The problem is the "required dress code" boils down to not wrinkled and no swimwear. That does leave a lot of leeway. The language at the beginning of the code is highly subjective and unenforceable. And when the only banned item is swimwear, its really hard to shame anyone.

Years back the code was a bit more specific, banning hats and maybe tank tops, but that was it. And the complaints were the same, it wasn't enforced, or I should be able to wear what I want.

The reality is the dress code allows everything from athletic shorts and a t-shirt and up. So that's what people are going to wear and they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

Personally I wouldn't go in less than walking/dress shorts and a collared shirt of some kind (polo, aloha, etc). For shoes I go with flip flops. Some still do not consider that in the spirit of the first part of that code. Yet I am going to worry about the guy with the Puma shorts and Mickey t-shirt?

Honestly other than a glance here and there I am not looking at other people anyway. Behavior is 100x more important. And you can say that requiring better dress equals better behavior, but unless you are going full-on formal, that really doesn't hold up. Golf courses often require collared shirts and it has zero impact on behavior. Alcohol has FAR more impact on behavior than dress, and there is plenty of alcohol in Disney these days.

BASS

The problem is the "required dress code" boils down to not wrinkled and no swimwear. That does leave a lot of leeway. The language at the beginning of the code is highly subjective and unenforceable. And when the only banned item is swimwear, its really hard to shame anyone.

Years back the code was a bit more specific, banning hats and maybe tank tops, but that was it. And the complaints were the same, it wasn't enforced, or I should be able to wear what I want.

The reality is the dress code allows everything from athletic shorts and a t-shirt and up. So that's what people are going to wear and they are perfectly within their rights to do so.

Personally I wouldn't go in less than walking/dress shorts and a collared shirt of some kind (polo, aloha, etc). For shoes I go with flip flops. Some still do not consider that in the spirit of the first part of that code. Yet I am going to worry about the guy with the Puma shorts and Mickey t-shirt?

Honestly other than a glance here and there I am not looking at other people anyway. Behavior is 100x more important. And you can say that requiring better dress equals better behavior, but unless you are going full-on formal, that really doesn't hold up. Golf courses often require collared shirts and it has zero impact on behavior. Alcohol has FAR more impact on behavior than dress, and there is plenty of alcohol in Disney these days.

Dress Code
This restaurant is a Disney Signature Dining experience offering fine dining with a distinctly magical flair. Guests are expected to dress accordingly in attire that respects the restaurant's sophisticated and upscale aesthetic. Clothing should be clean, neat and in good condition. Please no swimwear.

I mean, it's a $90/pp prix fixe menu, not including drinks, taxes, gratuity. A couple is likely going to spend $225+. I really don't know what more needs to be conveyed that coming in from the parks in a t-shirt and basketball shorts likely isn't appropriate, particularly at those prices.

I don't expect Disney to turn anyone away, b/c I understand that there will be extenuating circumstances and between unpredictability of lines, transportation, etc., not every party will have an opportunity to dress appropriately. But I also don't believe that a cavalier attitude of "screw it, I'll dress as I want!" is the right approach here.

Hockey89

Behavior is 100x more important. .
That you can't see how a proper dress code makes that happen, I don't even know what to say.... Joel Robuchon said it best... You build the concept, and the dining room takes care of itself... When you are dressing with a wife beater, you have zero respect for the sig place.... Fact not opinion and it's as simple of a concept as it gets....

Raidermatt

Dress Code
This restaurant is a Disney Signature Dining experience offering fine dining with a distinctly magical flair. Guests are expected to dress accordingly in attire that respects the restaurant's sophisticated and upscale aesthetic. Clothing should be clean, neat and in good condition. Please no swimwear.

I mean, it's a $90/pp prix fixe menu, not including drinks, taxes, gratuity. A couple is likely going to spend $225+. I really don't know what more needs to be conveyed that coming in from the parks in a t-shirt and basketball shorts likely isn't appropriate, particularly at those prices.

I don't expect Disney to turn anyone away, b/c I understand that there will be extenuating circumstances and between unpredictability of lines, transportation, etc., not every party will have an opportunity to dress appropriately. But I also don't believe that a cavalier attitude of "screw it, I'll dress as I want!" is the right approach here.
It's pretty easy to understand what needs to be conveyed if Disney actually cares what people are wearing. Don't want t-shirts, say so. Don't want athletic shorts, say so.

If they left it at your bolded section, there would be more to stand on. But they follow it up with clean, neat and in good condition and no swimwear. If they were serious about the bolded section, and seriously wanted people dressed as you describe, the next section would be pointless and only foster confusion. Which of course is exactly what it does.

Honestly this dress code sounds like it was co-written by two people, one of which wanted at least business casual and the other of which didn't care if people showed up in sack.

What it boils down to is there is no right or wrong approach, provided one follows the only explicit instructions in the code: Clean, neat, good condition and no swimwear. Clearly that is all they expect or they wouldn't say it.

And again, I'm not arguing for my right to dress like I came in from the gym. I simply would not do that. But I also don't begrudge anyone who meets the minimum of the code. It simply has no effect what so ever on me unless I choose to allow it to.

Raidermatt

That you can't see how a proper dress code makes that happen, I don't even know what to say.... Joel Robuchon said it best... You build the concept, and the dining room takes care of itself... When you are dressing with a wife beater, you have zero respect for the sig place.... Fact not opinion and it's as simple of a concept as it gets....
Clearly you do not understand the meaning of the word fact. Putting on a collared shirt does not turn a jackhole into a sophisticate. An obnoxious person will remain obnoxious no matter what clothes you force them to wear. Likewise a considerate person remains considerate when dressed down. If you spend enough time in different environments, this becomes abundantly clear.

Hockey89

Clearly you do not understand the meaning of the word fact. Putting on a collared shirt does not turn a jackhole into a sophisticate. An obnoxious person will remain obnoxious no matter what clothes you force them to wear. Likewise a considerate person remains considerate when dressed down. If you spend enough time in different environments, this becomes abundantly clear.
Imagine being this wrong and being so confident.... Some people just can't figure out life.... Sad.

Raidermatt

Imagine being this wrong and being so confident.... Some people just can't figure out life.... Sad.
None of us have it "figured out". Those that think they do are kidding themselves.

But we are capable of learning, and gradually increasing our understanding.

Unfortunately many cling to misguided beliefs regardless of any and all evidence to the contrary, ignoring even that which they can see with their own eyes, should they choose to open them.

One of the things I have learned is the futility of engagement under these circumstances.

With that in mind, hasta.

Hockey89

None of us have it "figured out". Those that think they do are kidding themselves.

But we are capable of learning, and gradually increasing our understanding.

Unfortunately many cling to misguided beliefs regardless of any and all evidence to the contrary, ignoring even that which they can see with their own eyes, should they choose to open them.

One of the things I have learned is the futility of engagement under these circumstances.

With that in mind, hasta.
Lol. This is why people dressed up for church. It’s why for many years you wore suit and tie to set the environment for work lThis is as simple as 1+1=2 for why dress code has a large impact on the atmosphere. Simple simple stuff. At this point, I’m just hoping you are trolling.

BuddyThomas

This is (or was) outside the restaurant before you take the elevator up:

F6C3CB5F-6A62-4C2D-8934-BC166B1454EB.jpeg

UNCgolf

This is (or was) outside the restaurant before you take the elevator up:

View attachment 698934

It's a little late to have it right at the restaurant's entrance when basically all dining comes from reservations booked in advance. Only people staying at the Contemporary would have an option of changing clothes without missing their reservation (and being charged for it); anyone else is out of luck.

Of course they don't enforce the dress code anywhere anyways so it's irrelevant.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

It's a little late to have it right at the restaurant's entrance when it's all reservations booked in advance. Only people staying at the Contemporary would have an option of changing clothes without missing their reservation (and being charged for it); anyone else is out of luck.

Of course they don't enforce the dress code anywhere anyways so it's irrelevant.
It doesn't help that "slacks", "khakis", and "tank tops" all mean something rather different in British English.

While I respect the desire to have a dress code, I have to say that the way this particular sign is worded seems a little, well, un-Disney. It reads as somewhat haughty to me. The website adopts a softer, more accommodating tone:

This is a Disney Signature Dining experience offering fine dining with a distinctly magical flair. Guests are expected to dress accordingly in attire that respects the sophisticated and upscale aesthetic of this experience. Clothing should be clean, neat and in good condition. Please no swimwear.​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom