California Grill dress code?

Chi84

Premium Member
I agree, and those who slouched in dressed like they came from the gym or threw on yesterday's dirty laundry brought down the vibe for everyone else, who'd paid a hefty sum for an upscale experience.
How often have you seen this at Cali Grill? I’m not doubting your post, but it’s so add odds with what we usually see there. We usually go at 7:00 or later (or to brunch when it was available) so maybe the time makes a difference?

Last edited:

Hockey89

How often have you seen this at Cali Grill? I’m not doubting your post, but it’s so add odds with what we usually see there. We usually go at 7:00 or later (or to brunch when it was available) so maybe the time makes a difference?
I’ve seen it so many times and I’ll say it’s again the worst behavior I see at sig places is at cal grill. 100%.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ve seen dudes in wife beaters with back and arm bit hair everywhere. So no. Not at all. The other sig places I’ve seen this a lot is the YM Steakhouse.
How often do you visit? Have you been there for the brunch or the prix fixe dinner?
I’ve never seen men in tank tops there - and diners have reported that men who show up in them are loaned shirts to wear over them.

I’m starting to think that maybe it’s just me being unobservant but we have been to Cali Grill several times in the last few years and I’ve never seen anything like what you’re describing. We do go a bit later for dinner, so maybe that’s the difference.

Hockey89

How often do you visit? Have you been there for the brunch or the prix fixe dinner?
I’ve never seen men in tank tops there - and diners have reported that men who show up in them are loaned shirts to wear over them.

I’m starting to think that maybe it’s just me being unobservant but we have been to Cali Grill several times in the last few years and I’ve never seen anything like what you’re describing. We do go a bit later for dinner, so maybe that’s the difference.
I’ve been going for 35 years to Disney and go a couple times a year for 10 days. My wife and I were at YM a bunch of years ago and we weee looking around and we could have been at a dive bar. It really was incredible. 25 years ago that would have been unimaginable.

Chi84

Premium Member
I’ve been going for 35 years to Disney and go a couple times a year for 10 days. My wife and I were at YM a bunch of years ago and we weee looking around and we could have been at a dive bar. It really was incredible. 25 years ago that would have been unimaginable.
Have you been to the Cali Grill brunch or the current prix fixe dinner?

I first visited WDW as an adult 39 years ago and there are some restaurants we visit every trip (we usually go twice a year). Others not so much.

Chi84

Premium Member
The food would taste the same if it was served on paper plates and plastic cups instead of fine china and glassware. But many people who go to nicer restaurants consider ambiance part of the dining experience. And unless you’re invisible, you kind of become part of that ambiance.

I’ll never understand why people complain about WDW’s signature restaurant dress code. Shorts, a polo shirt and sneakers meet the requirements. How poorly do people need to dress when they’re going out to a nicer place and are politely asked to dress in a way that shows some respect for the shared dining experience?

Last edited by a moderator:

JohnD

I don't know about others but I at least want to honor their request with a polo shirt and cargo shorts at a minimum.

thomas998

No but when they suggest wearing something presentable is it really too hard? I'll wear a T-shirt during the day or another shirt which has collected my perspiration. I keep another clean collared shirt in a ziploc bag in my backpack which I'll change into in the 2nd floor Mens room before taking the elevator up.

The point is: Have some class and honor their request. A collared shirt and shorts isn't that hard.
The fact that they don't enforce their rules anywhere in the parks sends a strong message that the rules mean nothing. When I see them dragging line jumpers out and tossing them from the park I'll believe that they really care about their rules... But so long as I see the CMs ignore it when it happen right in front of them I'll accept that they aren't rules as much as they are marketing.

thomas998

The issue is YOU imposing your own sense of right and wrong in the restaurant. You don't like their dress code, then don't go.
Your forgetting they are requests... not rules. All they really care about is my money. You should simply care about your food, that is what a restaurant is there for, the food.

JohnD

. I'm saying that when a request is made, you make the effort to honor it. A polo shirt, cargo shorts, and sneakers will do. I don't go around thumbing my nose at them with the attitude I do what I want. It's their establishment. I show respect and courtesy.

. Until then, as a paying Disney guest, put on some presentable clothes please as a respectful human being.

Last edited by a moderator:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
It’s funny because this is a situation where Disney’s desire to eliminate firework table hogs backfired on them. Dress and attire issues wouldn’t be a problem if the cost and quality of cuisine were higher.

Sadly the quality is down and with a fixed price so is the quality of guests. If you want to sell a signature experience, make it a signature experience and the rest of the issues will work themselves out.

Chi84

Premium Member
Often, but not in this case. I'm literally saying there were diners at California Grill wearing things like stained wife beaters, track pants with crop tops, and torn and dirty gym shoes, etc. It wasn't just one person, but two large parties seated near us. Their designer handbags and jewelry suggested that this mode of dress was a personal choice, and not a matter of being unable to afford to conform to the dress code.
It just seems like you have it in for California Grill, which is understandable if you had a bad experience especially at an expensive place that you looked forward to for some time.

But sometimes a single disappointing experience can snowball in one's memory. I remember you reviewed this brunch years ago and re-read it, and your description of the number of people violating the dress code and how they were dressed seems to have gotten much worse over time. (I don't mean to criticize or start an argument - just pointing out something I noticed. I always enjoy your posts :).)

StarshipDisney

We once went there straight from a day at the Magic Kingdom. They looked us over, made me take off my ball cap, and acted like they were doing us a favor to let us go up.

Chi84

Premium Member
My original post was focused on the restaurant, not the other patrons. But you're right: I did hate it and I will not return.
I was referring to this one about how people were dressed. But I get it. I had one horrible experience at Skipper Canteen and I’ve been talking down to everyone ever since. (Probably should give it another try)
If you're going to a signature, non-V&A restaurant (the dress codes are set forth on each restaurant web page), you really just need a step above regular park attire - like what one might wear to play golf. When we dined at California Grill (which ended up being a giant disappointment - that's a whole 'nother story - but we dressed properly for it anyway), my daughter and I wore dressy sundresses/rompers (we could have worn dress shorts or capris and still been dress-code compliant), and DH and my son wore Bermuda shorts with polos. We all had Teva-style sandals (new and clean) on our feet, since we were walking around MK before and after. Most others in the restaurant were dressed similarly and a few (especially those celebrating special occasions) were even more fancy.

The only blatant violations of the published dress code that we saw were a couple of middle-aged men in athletic sneakers (they were otherwise dressed up, and I suspect they had foot issues that required the sneakers) and a couple of teens who slouched around in track pants and tank tops. Although they obviously were let in, I've also read tales on this board of inappropriately-dressed people being denied entry to signature restaurants, which is why we did our best to ensure that we were compliant.

Weather_Lady

I was referring to this one about how people were dressed. But I get it. I had one horrible experience at Skipper Canteen and I’ve been talking down to everyone ever since. (Probably should give it another try)
You're right: there's no escaping the inconsistency. And yet, my husband remembers the "wife beater and track pants people," too. A shared mis-recollection, I suppose, or one memory that got conflated with another. Either way, I have to assume that the earliest posted recollection was the most accurate. I'm sorry for causing confusion! I'll get rid of the wayward posts.

In any event, I've apparently made my feelings about CG known so many times that readers here know them by heart. It's high time for me to stop harping on it!

Chi84

Premium Member
You're right: there's no escaping the inconsistency. And yet, my husband remembers the "wife beater and track pants people," too. A shared mis-recollection, I suppose, or one memory that got conflated with another. Either way, I have to assume that the earliest posted recollection was the most accurate. I'm sorry for causing confusion! I'll get rid of the wayward posts.

In any event, I've apparently made my feelings about CG known so many times that readers here know them by heart. It's high time for me to stop harping on it!
No, I’m sorry for pointing it out. It probably wasn’t the nicest thing to do. But we’ve found the people and experiences at Cali Grill to be pretty great over the years. It’s awful that your one time there was so bad (and I agree it was).

All restaurants have good days and bad days. They serve hundreds of people a day but for guests like you a bad experience makes the place a one and done - and understandably so.

But as someone who frequents the restaurant, I hate to see people getting a skewed idea of what people are wearing there. You’re probably right that brunch could be less dressy. The prix fixe dinner menu (although I’m not necessarily a fan of those) will likely limit the guests to those who are looking for a more special experience.

Thanks for being so nice! I look forward to more of your posts.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Been reading along, and now cannot help from chiming in...

The first time I went to Cali Grill, dressed nicely, I was appalled to see a family, also apparently waiting for a table, where the "lead male" was wearing cutoff denim shorts and a dirty (yes, actually visibly dirty) Dolphins jersey. And they were seated. This was many years ago, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better since then.

I've eaten at CG several times since, and have just put blinders on. I don't actively look at my fellow diners, but I guarantee you, if I saw "Dirty Dolphins Jersey" guy again (or anyone similarly en dishabille), I'd notice. And, sorry not sorry, would disapprove.

Honestly, the past couple times I've been there, I've been so preoccupied by the lack of excellent service, I didn't even notice the other diners.

Chi84

Premium Member
Been reading along, and now cannot help from chiming in...

The first time I went to Cali Grill, dressed nicely, I was appalled to see a family, also apparently waiting for a table, where the "lead male" was wearing cutoff denim shorts and a dirty (yes, actually visibly dirty) Dolphins jersey. And they were seated. This was many years ago, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better since then.

I've eaten at CG several times since, and have just put blinders on. I don't actively look at my fellow diners, but I guarantee you, if I saw "Dirty Dolphins Jersey" guy again (or anyone similarly en dishabille), I'd notice. And, sorry not sorry, would disapprove.

Honestly, the past couple times I've been there, I've been so preoccupied by the lack of excellent service, I didn't even notice the other diners.
Wow. I was thinking the people complaining were the outliers but now I’m thinking maybe it’s us. When we’re you there most recently?

We were there decades ago when they had a Broadway-type stage show, but then stopped going frequently (had kids, couldn’t afford it) until around 2016 or 17 when we tried the brunch. Since then we’ve been back two or more times a year (except for 2020). With one very notable exception, we found that most of the people there are dressed pretty nicely. It’s unfortunate that not everyone has that experience.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom