California Grill dress code?

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Wow. I was thinking the people complaining were the outliers but now I’m thinking maybe it’s us. When we’re you there most recently?
Dolphins jersey guy was, as I said, some years ago (nearly 10).

Last time I was at CG was 2018. Dined there annually (ok, only once per year) from 2016-2018. Had varied experiences.

Chi84

Premium Member
Dolphins jersey guy was, as I said, some years ago (nearly 10).

Last time I was at CG was 2018. Dined there annually (ok, only once per year) from 2016-2018. Had varied experiences.
I amended my post after you answered. It’s a pretty big restaurant. I guess it’s not surprising to see a bit of everything, but from what I’m reading they aren’t enforcing a dress code. It’s more luck of the draw.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I amended my post after you answered. It’s a pretty big restaurant. I guess it’s not surprising to see a bit of everything, but from what I’m reading they aren’t enforcing a dress code. It’s more luck of the draw.
True dat.

And it's my opinion that it's a shame they aren't enforcing the dress code. Just sayin. I do think that food tastes better on stoneware or porcelain vs. paper plates. And I do think that if one has made a reservation at a "nice" restaurant that has a "dress code" that one should respect the "dress code" and one's fellow diners. But that's just me. To each their own.

JohnD

Been reading along, and now cannot help from chiming in...

The first time I went to Cali Grill, dressed nicely, I was appalled to see a family, also apparently waiting for a table, where the "lead male" was wearing cutoff denim shorts and a dirty (yes, actually visibly dirty) Dolphins jersey. And they were seated. This was many years ago, and I can't imagine it's gotten any better since then.

I've eaten at CG several times since, and have just put blinders on. I don't actively look at my fellow diners, but I guarantee you, if I saw "Dirty Dolphins Jersey" guy again (or anyone similarly en dishabille), I'd notice. And, sorry not sorry, would disapprove.

Honestly, the past couple times I've been there, I've been so preoccupied by the lack of excellent service, I didn't even notice the other diners.
I honestly get how hard it is to get the ADR and, for many, the only way to do it is immediately after being in a park. I know I feel grubby. But I do my best anyway by slipping into a restroom and changing my shirt that I keep in my backpack.

BASS

Wear whatever you want, you will never see any of these people again. Your vacation, your rules
What a self-centered and entitled view. California Grill is not Le Bernadin but it isn't McDonald's either and you should have some respect and decency for other guests [and yourself] to at least attempt to meet the required dress code.

If I lived across the street from you, would you mind if I kept my lawn unchecked or decided to turn it into an auto repair shop. My home, my rules, right?

NelleBelle

My DHand I were talking about this topic the other night (I admit, I brought it up). He said he feels weird when sitting next to people who are not dressed up somewhat. If he were sitting next to someone in grungy attire and he was wearing nice clothing (and we aren’t talking dress shirt or tie either, but Polo and chinos)—he doesn’t what to see underarm hair, smell BO, or look at graphic tees while paying for a nice dinner experience. Like when we go to the ballet and are paying for orchestra seats—we find it totally rude when people show up in jeans and tees!

BASS

My DHand I were talking about this topic the other night (I admit, I brought it up). He said he feels weird when sitting next to people who are not dressed up somewhat. If he were sitting next to someone in grungy attire and he was wearing nice clothing (and we aren’t talking dress shirt or tie either, but Polo and chinos)—he doesn’t what to see underarm hair, smell BO, or look at graphic tees while paying for a nice dinner experience. Like when we go to the ballet and are paying for orchestra seats—we find it totally rude when people show up in jeans and tees!
Of course. I haven't been to the California Grill in years--I prefer other restaurants--but I just went online and it looks like it's prix fixe now of $89/person without tax or gratuity. That means a couple will spend $178 for dinner (no drinks). Add 18% gratuity and you're looking at a $210 meal (and I didn't calculate tax). If I am paying these prices, the restaurant ought to have and enforce appropriate dress codes so that the experience is appropriate for everyone, not just for the selfish tourist who thinks because it's his vacation he can dress however he wants to.

John park hopper

Disney may say the have a dress code but other than Victoria& Alberts it's not enforced so if they don't enforce it basically there is none. Jiko has a dress code but our last time dining there there was family that looked like they just came from the pool.

CaptainAmerica

we find it totally rude when people show up in jeans and tees!
I don't wear t-shirts ever unless I'm doing something athletic or in my pajamas, but dark wash, properly fitted jeans with a camp shirt, dress shirt, or polo shirt are perfectly fine IMO.

I feel the same way about sandals. OluKai Mea Ola are "resort casual," but Old Navy flip flops or Adidas slides are sloppy.

Disney may say the have a dress code but other than Victoria& Alberts it's not enforced so if they don't enforce it basically there is none. Jiko has a dress code but our last time dining there there was family that looked like they just came from the pool.
The question isn't "what can I get away with?" the question is "what is socially acceptable?" Sure, Disney will probably seat you at California Grill in basketball shorts and a tank top, but you look like crap, you're embarrassing yourself, and you're being a jerk to the other diners.

CaptainAmerica

Live look at me:

78wqw9.jpg

jwutony16

What a self-centered and entitled view. California Grill is not Le Bernadin but it isn't McDonald's either and you should have some respect and decency for other guests [and yourself] to at least attempt to meet the required dress code.

If I lived across the street from you, would you mind if I kept my lawn unchecked or decided to turn it into an auto repair shop. My home, my rules, right?
Yes! Exactly my point! My happiness is not based on what you do with your life!

jwutony16

Aesthetics matter. If I throw a bunch of garbage in the bushes in front of Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, it doesn't harm you. But it's ugly and nobody wants to look at it.
Sometimes there is treasure in garbage. Also, I feel a dress code is between the restaurant and the customer, not between a customer and another customer.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom