California Adventure vs Universal Studios Hollywood

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

PiratesMansion

I'm continually surprised by how many walkaround characters there are at Universal, and how good they are. The Tranformers, the Raptors, Doc Brown, the Scooby Doo gang, random Citizens of Hollywood sorts of entertainment, and so on. They do an excellent job of spreading them throughout the park, so it feels like they're fairly constant.

The Cars characters show up at DCA from time to time and now there's the Avengers, but I wish there were more walkaround characters spread throughout more of the park. Maybe I'm just not timing my visits right, but Disneyland often feels bursting with characters in a way that I just don't see as much at DCA.

mickEblu

[
I don’t know how can anyone like Pixar Pier. It stepping the aesthetic of first incarnation of Paradise Pier. The never finished Victorian overlay is a shame. And no ways to offer more dark rides is a shame too.

And does any of this change the fact that Simpsons land has one outdated simulator while the Pier is located along a body of water with tons of rides and kinetic energy? I can’t tell if you guys are being serious or not.

The Paradise Gardens bandstand area > all Simpsons Land.

Clearly, i value atmosphere and aesthetics a lot more than the vocal USH voters in this thread. But I’m not understanding the cohesion thing. What cohesion?

Illumination Land
New York Street/ Paris Street
Wizarding World
Simpsons Land
A Lower Lot with a mix of IP and exposed show buildings
Super Nintendo Land
The Studio Tour

How is this more cohesive than DCA? They’re both a hodge podge of IP lands. One has the leftover Movie Studio concept with the Tram tour and one has some left over California with Grizzly Peak and BVS. So pretty much a wash there. Ride roster can be debated but I’d give it to DCA by a smidge on quality and then it has quantity too. Then DCA is much more atmospheric/ beautiful. Has a nighttime spectacular and much better food.

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
Water World vs what show do they have at DCA again? - DCA had Aladdin for awhile. They should have had a stunt show for AC that would have blown the 20 year old Water World out of the water, no pun intended. But they didn't. And WW still slaps.
Ever heard of World of Color?

Anyways.., Since we all agree that this is kind of a wash, let's instead look at who sucks more:

DCA Then and Now - Part 7: If It Is Broke, Do Fix It! — Themerica
DCA - Hollywood Backlot Stage on EveryCharacter.com
Everything to Know About Avengers Campus at Disneyland
Our Super Guide to Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure
Hollywood Land - Wikipedia
Hollywood Backlot - Disney's California Adventure

VS
Universal Studios Hollywood Update - February 5th 2016 - Coaster Kings
Lower Lot at Universal Studios Hollywood | Theme Park Archive
Universal Studios Hollywood Tips | 17 Tips for visiting with Kids

The Simpsons Ride - Attraction Footage - Universal Studios (2008) (HD) -  YouTube
Everything to Know About Universal Studios Hollywood's Studio Tour
Universal Studios Hollywood has laid off 2,200 workers since July
At Universal Studios… For a Workout?!? | Keep It Up, David!

Let's say that you have one single day in the SoCal area, and you can only go to one of these two parks. Which would you not pick?
Both parks have screen rides, ugly backlot-themed lands, and overall a cash grab theme park experience.
Which park is inferior, has trashier rides, less fun, etc? Which is the worse park?

PiratesMansion

And does any of this change the fact that Simpsons land has one outdated simulator while the Pier is located along a body of water with tons of rides and kinetic energy? I can’t tell if you guys are being serious or not.
The Simpsons Ride isn't great shakes, but neither is anything in Pixar Pier, really. Most of those rides are bog standard rides that could be found at Six Flags. And the area was nicer when it was trying to be Victorian rather than Pixar-centric.

Springfield isn't amazing by any stretch, but neither is Pixar Pier.
The Paradise Gardens bandstand area > all Simpsons Land.
Literally the only good thing that came out of the Paradise Pier ==> Pixar Pier change. But it's not good enough to defeat another land solely on its own merits.
Clearly, i value atmosphere and aesthetics a lot more than the vocal USH voters in this thread. But I’m not understanding the cohesion thing. What cohesion?
While some areas of DCA have great atmosphere-BVS, CL, Grizzly Peak-I wouldn't call anything else better than USH in that regard. Does Pixar Pier really have great atmosphere compared to USH? I'd say no, unless perhaps you're talking to a young child that confuses seeing his favorite character on a sign or a food stand with great atmosphere.

I think it's bold to assume the people voting for USH don't value aesthetics and atmosphere. Basically everybody here would choose Disneyland Park over either one of these places, and aesthetics and atmosphere are big parts of the reason why. The atmosphere is definitely different between USH and Disney more generally, but that's not the same as saying that USH is less atmospheric, or has worse atmosphere.
Illumination Land
New York Street/ Paris Street
Wizarding World
Simpsons Land
A Lower Lot with a mix of IP and exposed show buildings
Super Nintendo Land
The Studio Tour

How is this more cohesive than DCA? They’re both a hodge podge of IP lands. One has the leftover Movie Studio concept with the Tram tour and one has some left over California with Grizzly Peak and BVS. So pretty much a wash there. Ride roster can be debated but I’d give it to DCA by a smidge on quality and then it has quantity too. Then DCA is much more atmospheric/ beautiful. Has a nighttime spectacular and much better food.
Neither are super cohesive, but there's one crucial difference to me. Universal doesn't sell itself on cohesion, it sells itself on being a movie studio, where a hodgepodge of unrelated things is at least understandable. Disney, on the other hand, sells itself as the company that takes a lot of time to think about the details and make sure not one thing is out of place. Yet they consistently choose to add in random things into DCA that have nothing to do with anything around it, go out of their way to disrupt things that were more cohesive, and generally doing things that only make sense if you treat the park the way Six Flags treats DC characters-"well, the characters are what people want, so it doesn't really matter where we put them or do with them as long as there are more of them than there were last year." So, you know, not the attention to detail Disney still says it adheres to. It's haphazard, sloppy, and does a lot to worsen whatever cohesion the park has (or had).

Universal doesn't publish books and issue press releases constantly saying that they adhere to that attention to detail "as Walt would have wanted", so it's less offensive to me when they don't meet that level of detail, even if there's not always a huge difference between the two parks in that regard.

It's funny how so many people do nothing but complain about WOC, unless they need to one-up some other park company or complex, whether it's WDW or Universal.

A lot of the "quantity" DCA has is filler (i.e. the aforementioned Pixar Pier flat rides).

Food is the only thing I would unquestionably give to DCA over USH.

mickEblu

The Simpsons Ride isn't great shakes, but neither is anything in Pixar Pier, really. Most of those rides are bog standard rides that could be found at Six Flags. And the area was nicer when it was trying to be Victorian rather than Pixar-centric.

Springfield isn't amazing by any stretch, but neither is Pixar Pier.

Literally the only good thing that came out of the Paradise Pier ==> Pixar Pier change. But it's not good enough to defeat another land solely on its own merits.

While some areas of DCA have great atmosphere-BVS, CL, Grizzly Peak-I wouldn't call anything else better than USH in that regard. Does Pixar Pier really have great atmosphere compared to USH? I'd say no, unless perhaps you're talking to a young child that confuses seeing his favorite character on a sign or a food stand with great atmosphere.

I think it's bold to assume the people voting for USH don't value aesthetics and atmosphere. Basically everybody here would choose Disneyland Park over either one of these places, and aesthetics and atmosphere are big parts of the reason why. The atmosphere is definitely different between USH and Disney more generally, but that's not the same as saying that USH is less atmospheric, or has worse atmosphere.

Neither are super cohesive, but there's one crucial difference to me. Universal doesn't sell itself on cohesion, it sells itself on being a movie studio, where a hodgepodge of unrelated things is at least understandable. Disney, on the other hand, sells itself as the company that takes a lot of time to think about the details and make sure not one thing is out of place. Yet they consistently choose to add in random things into DCA that have nothing to do with anything around it, go out of their way to disrupt things that were more cohesive, and generally doing things that only make sense if you treat the park the way Six Flags treats DC characters-"well, the characters are what people want, so it doesn't really matter where we put them or do with them as long as there are more of them than there were last year." So, you know, not the attention to detail Disney still says it adheres to. It's haphazard, sloppy, and does a lot to worsen whatever cohesion the park has (or had).

Universal doesn't publish books and issue press releases constantly saying that they adhere to that attention to detail "as Walt would have wanted", so it's less offensive to me when they don't meet that level of detail, even if there's not always a huge difference between the two parks in that regard.

It's funny how so many people do nothing but complain about WOC, unless they need to one-up some other park company or complex, whether it's WDW or Universal.

A lot of the "quantity" DCA has is filler (i.e. the aforementioned Pixar Pier flat rides).

Food is the only thing I would unquestionably give to DCA over USH.

For you not to acknowledge that Pixar Pier has 10x more rides, more fun rides, a much better atmosphere + a ton of kinetic energy is absurd. I can’t waste anymore of my time comparing that land to Simpsons Land. You guys obviously have a bone to pick with DCA and are on another planet. I would have been better served dropping a “Delulu” comment and bouncing.

PiratesMansion

For you not to acknowledge that Pixar Pier has 10x more rides, more fun rides, a much better atmosphere + a ton of kinetic energy is absurd. I can’t waste anymore of my time comparing that land to Simpsons Land. You guys obviously have a bone to pick with DCA and are on another planet. I would have been better served dropping a “Delulu” comment and bouncing.
I did acknowledge it...I just said that most of those rides could be found at Six Flags and thus, to me, aren't a huge automatic win for DCA. Nothing there really represents the "Disney Difference" in any way, unless you count the fact that they have Disney characters slapped on them.

Much better atmosphere is debatable. Neither really works for me, so I wouldn't give "wins" to either in that respect.

Consumer

I hate what DCA has become, but so long as the park has Grizzly Peak, Soarin' over California, and Radiator Springs Racers, it's the second best theme park in SoCal. The first is obviously SeaWorld.

mickEblu

I hate what DCA has become, but so long as the park has Grizzly Peak, Soarin' over California, and Radiator Springs Racers, it's the second best theme park in SoCal. The first is obviously SeaWorld.

Yup. To me a park is much more than a collection of rides. BVS, Grizzly Peak and Cars Land alone > USH.

Disney Analyst

While I do think USH has improved, it still doesn’t feel cohesive, and the layout makes the park feel disjointed.

Regardless of IP changes made, DCA is far better themed, more cohesive, has better food options, and better ride varieties. I also think DCA has greater future potential.

It also earns points for being next door to one of the world’s greatest theme parks. If you really do get bored during your day at DCA, take a short jaunt across the esplanade.

If I am suddenly over my day at USH… I’m stuck with… Hollywood? 💀

PiratesMansion

While I do think USH has improved, it still doesn’t feel cohesive, and the layout makes the park feel disjointed.

Regardless of IP changes made, DCA is far better themed, more cohesive, has better food options, and better ride varieties. I also think DCA has greater future potential.

It also earns points for being next door to one of the world’s greatest theme parks. If you really do get bored during your day at DCA, take a short jaunt across the esplanade.

If I am suddenly over my day at USH… I’m stuck with… Hollywood? 💀
DCA is hardly cohesive and hardly has a better layout. DCA is cohesive largely because Disney says so, rather than because everything actually fits together in a logical way. It has the cohesion of a studio theme park, but it likes to pretend that because it's Disney, it's somehow something more. DCA's layout is more bizarre than many Disney fans give it credit for. USH's is nothing special, but at least you can get around in a way that's pretty straightforward.

I don't believe in giving a mediocre park brownie points just because if you get tired of it (as, let's face it, many do and will) you can easily go to a much better theme park. If we're comparing individual parks, and individual parks only, it doesn't make sense to give DCA a leg up just because it's right next to Disneyland. It's not like Disneyland Park's feelings will get hurt or will cease to exist if we don't give the win to DCA.

I'd argue that the many inconsistencies have hindered DCA's future potential. How can one plan successfully for the future if you're constantly shuffling out areas, themes, and thoughtlessly throwing IP in with little regard to whether or not it fits or improves the atmosphere? USH's atmosphere may not be to everyone's taste, but at least USH isn't constantly making its atmosphere worse, or less cohesive. I see an ambition in USH's newest offerings that I just don't see in DCA's. After all, USH has to draw people to itself; DCA will get people just because it can serve as a Disneyland waiting room, so why try? Why not just keep building things that are 'good enough' when it clearly works? Because of its location, DCA gets to coast in a way that USH does not, and so it doesn't get many genuinely great additions because so many people are ready to handwave its flaws away. Who cares if it sucks if I can just be at a better park in less than five minutes, right?

Disney Analyst

DCA is hardly cohesive and hardly has a better layout. DCA is cohesive largely because Disney says so, rather than because everything actually fits together in a logical way. It has the cohesion of a studio theme park, but it likes to pretend that because it's Disney, it's somehow something more. DCA's layout is more bizarre than many Disney fans give it credit for. USH's is nothing special, but at least you can get around in a way that's pretty straightforward.

I don't believe in giving a mediocre park brownie points just because if you get tired of it (as, let's face it, many do and will) you can easily go to a much better theme park. If we're comparing individual parks, and individual parks only, it doesn't make sense to give DCA a leg up just because it's right next to Disneyland. It's not like Disneyland Park's feelings will get hurt or will cease to exist if we don't give the win to DCA.

I'd argue that the many inconsistencies have hindered DCA's future potential. How can one plan successfully for the future if you're constantly shuffling out areas, themes, and thoughtlessly throwing IP in with little regard to whether or not it fits or improves the atmosphere? USH's atmosphere may not be to everyone's taste, but at least USH isn't constantly making its atmosphere worse, or less cohesive. I see an ambition in USH's newest offerings that I just don't see in DCA's. After all, USH has to draw people to itself; DCA will get people just because it can serve as a Disneyland waiting room, so why try? Why not just keep building things that are 'good enough' when it clearly works? Because of its location, DCA gets to coast in a way that USH does not, and so it doesn't get many genuinely great additions because so many people are ready to handwave its flaws away. Who cares if it sucks if I can just be at a better park in less than five minutes, right?

Just sharing all the factors that make me prefer DCA 🥰

PiratesMansion

Just sharing all the factors that make me prefer DCA 🥰
:rolleyes: What is the point of even having this conversation if people have already made up their minds that DCA is better just cuz it's at Disneyland?

And people wonder why DCA just gets worse and worse. What incentive does Disney have to try to actually make the park better? Judging by the views expressed by many here, they certainly don't need to do anything differently than they are right now. As long as people can get out of Disneyland for an hour, get a drink non-controversially, and do RSR, who cares, right?

Disney Analyst

:rolleyes: What is the point of even having this conversation if people have already made up their minds that DCA is better just cuz it's at Disneyland?

And people wonder why DCA just gets worse and worse. What incentive does Disney have to try to actually make the park better? Judging by the views expressed by many here, they certainly don't need to do anything differently than they are right now. As long as people can get out of Disneyland for an hour, get a drink non-controversially, and do RSR, who cares, right?

I can appreciate your passion, and I am actually totally cool with you preferring USH. But you are fixating on one aspect of many I gave, for why I prefer DCA. I promise my preference for DCA is by no means a personal attack.

PiratesMansion

I can appreciate your passion, and I am actually totally cool with you preferring USH. But you are fixating on one aspect of many I gave, for why I prefer DCA. I promise my preference for DCA is by no means a personal attack.
You're not the only person who seems to be giving it to DCA largely based on location and it being Disney. Seems to be many, many people.

J4546

Ush is just not a great park for me. that's just how I feel. Nintendoworld is nice but only one ride and mk is meh at best imo. Jurassic flume is cool but not as good as fl. Hp land is neat but ride makes me sick. Mummy is cool. Pets is cool. Transformers, Simpsons, minions, Madagascar stuff is a no for me. Tram and Waterworld is awesome though.

Hopefully fnf coaster is rad and I'm sure it will be.

Also as far as dca, I like Pixar Pier even though some on here don't. 10 rides for all ages, a great nighttime show, bunch of food options, games, kinetic energy....I always like strolling around PP. And I'm also looking forward to avengers campus phase 2!

Last edited:

mickEblu

You're not the only person who seems to be giving it to DCA largely based on location and it being Disney. Seems to be many, many people.

Nobody is giving it to DCA FOR that reason. He described Disneyland as being an extra perk. Why are you being deliberately obtuse? We have explained why we prefer DCA in great detail and it had nothing to do with Disneyland.

mickEblu

Just think it's interesting how DCA has all of these problems that everyone acknowledges, but compare it to another park and suddenly it's this amazing wonderland that everyone loves.

When everyone talks about DCA’s problems it’s because they re comparing it to Disneyland or because they re lamenting its downward trend. Doesn’t mean it’s still not a much better park than USH. Is this really that hard to understand? Based on your posting history it shouldn’t be. So I’m sensing some real anger with Disney for what they did to DCA the last 7 years which is prohibiting you from being fair and reasonable here.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom