California Adventure vs Universal Studios Hollywood

Which is the better park?

• Total voters

mickEblu

100%, yes.

It's not a secret that there have always been problems with the park. People have been harping on Hollywood for as long as I've been following this, Goofy's Sky School is still there, etc. There are clear things that, to me, would be incredibly easy to fix or replace with something else, or are at least extremely obvious as things to fix or fine-tune in the future. The trouble is that Disney invariably will let those things sit there and then mess with things that were perfectly fine.

It's the death by a thousand cuts for me. Nothing permanent in the Hyperion (and I wasn't crazy about Rogers either). Diminished Animation without the full Sorcerer's Workshop (and now getting worse) or zoetrope. Changing Paradise Pier and Screamin' into Pixar Pier and Incredicoaster. Replacing an area that was at least charming with a dull, industrial wasteland of a theming area with a ride that's essentially a glorified redo of a ride that's already in the park. Replace the magnificent, iconic Soarin' over California with Soarin' over CGI With Animals Throwing Sand In My Face. Monsters and Mermaid were never strictly my thing, but they're now harder to do because they've been unnecessarily added to Genie. Unnecessary food court makeovers. TOT to Guardians (a ride I actually like better, but can't argue is an aesthetic or thematic upgrade). The loss of other entertainment options (remember Goofy conducting the ugly WOC fountains during the day? The Red Car Trolley show? And so on).

And for what? Certainly not a better experience or better attractions in the majority of cases. Just more IP at the expense of the park feeling like a place, or having any cohesion at all. I'm sure glad Disney spent a billion to fix the park, let it be good for three years or so, and then spend a billion more to ruin the careful work they did to make it better. I can't help but wonder if all of these pointless changes that don't really add anything but more often subtract eventually catch up to the place.

Strongly disagree, and here's why.

Park enthusiasts are looking for one of two things: coasters or theming, with some consideration given to overall park trajectory.

To most enthusiasts, DCA's coasters are mediocre and not even that highly themed. At USH, Mummy is better themed and FATF is coming.

Theming-wise, DCA has some nice areas, but also a number of areas that aren't that great and a number of areas that are worse than they used to be, along with several offerings that either no longer exist or are also worse. That wouldn't be a reason for people to visit regardless of who owned the park.

USH has lost a few things that are nice, but none of them in recent years were things that most people really loved or felt were essential to the park's identity. Additionally, people hold Disney to a higher standard, in large part because Disney of old asked them to. That may not be fair, but it does mean that imperfections at USH are more likely to be excused because USH never promised them that level of standard in the first place. But with Disney, those high standards are a much bigger component of their entire brand and image than with Universal.

I see you edited your post to add a bit of info…

To be fair I said park enthusiast not coaster enthusiasts which I’d consider anyone who found their way to this site to be. Are you trying to say that a coaster enthusiast would prefer the Mummy to Incredicoaster? If so, that’s hard to believe but that’s not my world.

Again you keep talking about what DCA was and I can’t help but feel that has influenced your opinion. You’re also now mentioning what USH will have or will be. I’m here just doing what the poll asked. Comparing the parks we have now.

PiratesMansion

So USH is better because it’s more consistent with its bland and/ or bad theming? So you’d enjoy DCA more if it all looked like the Hollywood Backlot? What do the well themed lands like Harry Potter and Super Nintendo land have to do with the Movie Studio concept? The Studio Tour is the only left that has anything to do “Movie Studio Park” Outside of that it’s a Movie Studio Park in the same way DCA is a park about California.

On the lower lot you have some small attempt at Jurassic Park themed area with Transformers and Mummy in a box and then an actual themed land in Super Nintendo. This isn’t a bigger mish mash than DCA? DCA is 10x more aesthetically beautiful than USH. You have vistas, waterfalls and great scenery in lands like Cars Land and Grizzly Those two lands are far greater in quality and scale than Potter and Mario. Peak. Even the pier at dusk/night is quite pleasant. The food is also much better at DCA as is the entertainment. Honestly even comparing the parks is a bit absurd. Which ride lineup is better can be debated but I’d still give it to DCA. I go to theme parks to walk around/ enjoy pleasant atmospheres and go on fun rides. If it has something decent to eat or snack on is a bonus.

Why people or some people prefer USH? Looks like DCA has about 2/3 of the votes on this pool. I get that DCA was better 7 years ago but I’m not letting that influence my opinion. I’m comparing apples to apples.

@PiratesMansion I guess this response would apply to your post as well. Again, I agree that DCA was better 7 years ago but that doesn’t mean it’s still not a better park than USH. Like I said earlier I think people view it a little harshly because of its location and becasue they remember when it was a better place but if your comparing Park A-Z to Park A-Z DCA wins by a landslide IMO.

Well I guess 2/3 of the voters on this poll disagree with your disagreement. Haha. Honestly I’m perplexed that USH even has 1/3 of the votes.
Eh, 2/3 of the votes being in the favor of DCA on a Disney board isn't surprising. Of course if you go to www.ketchuprules.com, most people aren't going to say their favorite condiment is French's honey mustard.

My thing is this: Universal's image and reputation is based on ride the movies and relevant IP, which can mean, but does not always mean, immersive theming. Their image was never based on thematic immersion or aesthetics to the same way Disney's is. So while USH isn't always beautiful aesthetically and the areas don't always flow together artfully, Universal's image is not based on its beauty or layout, nor does the company write lines of copy or reems of souvenir books about how meticiculously beautiful every Universal property is. They know it's not their brand, and they're not pretending that it is either. They're fairly honest and direct about what the park is and who it is likely to appeal to.

By contrast, Disney prided itself initially on details, immersion, we-think-of-everything levels of cohesion, and still crows about these things despite increasing evidence to the contrary that they do not, in fact, think about these things to the same level anymore. What the park/standards actually are and what Disney is saying they are do not match up. You could say this for Disneyland too, but not to the same degree as with DCA IMO. Nothing that has been done in DCA for the last six years or so points to any of the things Disney parks are supposed to be famous for.

Nor has Universal been slowly making big chunks of the park worse for the ten years I've been going.
I see you edited your post to add a bit of info…

To be fair I said park enthusiast not coaster enthusiasts which I’d consider anyone who found their way to this site to be. Are you trying to say that a coaster enthusiast would prefer the Mummy to Incredicoaster? If so, that’s hard to believe but that’s not my world.

Again you keep talking about what DCA was and I can’t help but feel that has influenced your opinion. You’re also now mentioning what USH will have or will be. I’m here just doing what the poll asked. Comparing the parks we have now.
I mentioned park AND coaster enthusiasts in the edit.

Here's my thoughts on coaster dorks, as one myself: Of course, if the coaster enthusiast really got to choose what a coaster would be like, they wouldn't choose Incredicoaster OR Mummy: they would choose Twisted Colossus or VelociCoaster. Neither IC or Mummy offer what most enthusiasts are looking for right now, but theming can compensate for lack of thrills for many. If that's the criteria, Mummy is better themed than Incredicoaster. Many coaster enthusiasts find IC neither exciting enough nor well themed enough to gain their affection, even though it was made by Intamin, one of the preferred coaster dork companies. Reportedly Incredicoaster also brakes harder throughout the course than it once did, making the ride slower than it once was (this occurred before my time going to DLR and was apparently a result of a minor train collision), and enthusiasts HATE rides being slowed down by trim brakes. Thus, the reputation of CS/IC isn't quite what it once was. By contrast, the reputation of USH Mummy has gotten better over time; it used to be that people had nothing good to say about the California Mummy, and now there are several coaster people who believe it actually has a superior layout to its Floridian counterpart, something no one would have said ten years ago. So neither is what a coaster dork is looking for, but Mummy has a better theme and has improved reputationally over the years. Mummy also has a substantial backwards section that adds to the thrill. Therefore, I feel comfortable in saying that for many coaster dorks, if not an outright majority, Mummy would win.

And yes, the many changes of DCA over the years absolutely affects my opinion. I don't think that's a secret, and I do think that taking the overall trajectory of a park into account when ranking or comparing is valid. If the park I have today is less good than the one I had six years ago, that definitely goes into the ranking.

mickEblu

Eh, 2/3 of the votes being in the favor of DCA on a Disney board isn't surprising. Of course if you go to www.ketchuprules.com, most people aren't going to say their favorite condiment is French's honey mustard.

My thing is this: Universal's image and reputation is based on ride the movies and relevant IP, which can mean, but does not always mean, immersive theming. Their image was never based on thematic immersion or aesthetics to the same way Disney's is. So while USH isn't always beautiful aesthetically and the areas don't always flow together artfully, Universal's image is not based on its beauty or layout, nor does the company write lines of copy or reems of souvenir books about how meticiculously beautiful every Universal property is. They know it's not their brand, and they're not pretending that it is either. They're fairly honest and direct about what the park is and who it is likely to appeal to.

By contrast, Disney prided itself initially on details, immersion, we-think-of-everything levels of cohesion, and still crows about these things despite increasing evidence to the contrary that they do not, in fact, think about these things to the same level anymore. What the park/standards actually are and what Disney is saying they are do not match up. You could say this for Disneyland too, but not to the same degree as with DCA IMO. Nothing that has been done in DCA for the last six years or so points to any of the things Disney parks are supposed to be famous for.

Nor has Universal been slowly making big chunks of the park worse for the ten years I've been going.

I mentioned park AND coaster enthusiasts in the edit.

Here's my thoughts on coaster dorks, as one myself: Of course, if the coaster enthusiast really got to choose what a coaster would be like, they wouldn't choose Incredicoaster OR Mummy: they would choose Twisted Colossus or VelociCoaster. Neither IC or Mummy offer what most enthusiasts are looking for right now, but theming can compensate for lack of thrills for many. If that's the criteria, Mummy is better themed than Incredicoaster. Many coaster enthusiasts find IC neither exciting enough nor well themed enough to gain their affection, even though it was made by Intamin, one of the preferred coaster dork companies. Reportedly Incredicoaster also brakes harder throughout the course than it once did, making the ride slower than it once was (this occurred before my time going to DLR and was apparently a result of a minor train collision), and enthusiasts HATE rides being slowed down by trim brakes. Thus, the reputation of CS/IC isn't quite what it once was. By contrast, the reputation of USH Mummy has gotten better over time; it used to be that people had nothing good to say about the California Mummy, and now there are several coaster people who believe it actually has a superior layout to its Floridian counterpart, something no one would have said ten years ago.

And yes, the many changes of DCA over the years absolutely affects my opinion. I don't think that's a secret, and I do think that taking the overall trajectory of a park into account when ranking or comparing is valid. If the park I have today is less good than the one I had six years ago, that definitely goes into the ranking.

So we all talk crap about Disney until it comes time to compare them to Universal? Could be happening with a few votes but it’s an opinion that can be backed up very easily. So why are you letting what the park was affect your opinion in a poll asking to compare the present day parks?

I agree that USH is trending up and DCA is trending down but we’re comparing what we have today.

Now you are also holding Disney standards against the park. Lol my dude is it not possible to just compare park to park without the extra stuff? Do you think the average person/ average family would enjoy a day at USH over DCA? What can young/ old people even do there? That’s two large groups almost have nothing to do at the park. How about an annual pass holder? This obviously goes to DCA on sheer volume alone. The one demo id give USH the advantage would be with foreign tourists because “Hollywood.” Even that doesn’t make any sense though becasue you can’t say DCA without saying Disneyland and DLR as a whole is obviously better than USH so this all really is a pointless exercise.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

So we all talk crap about Disney until it comes time to compare them to Universal? Could be happening with a few votes but it’s an opinion that can be backed up very easily. So why are you letting what the park was affect your opinion in a poll asking to compare the present day parks?

I agree that USH is trending up and DCA is trending down but we’re comparing what we have today.

Now you are also holding Disney standards against the park. Lol my dude is it not possible to just compare park to park without the extra stuff? Do you think the average person/ average family would enjoy a day at USH over DCA? What can young/ old people even do there? That’s two large groups almost have nothing to do at the park. How about an annual pass holder? This obviously goes to DCA on sheer volume alone. The one demo id give USH the advantage would be with foreign tourist because “Hollywood.” Even that doesn’t make any sense though becasue you can’t say DCA without saying Disneyland and DLR as a whole is obviously better than USH so this all really is a pointless exercise.
I cannot see present-day DCA without taking what DCA was into account, because my view of DCA is colored by the knowledge of what it used to be. Much in the same way that some on here cannot see Disneyland and appreciate what it is now, because their view is colored by what it used to be. Perhaps if I had been around to see USH before 2013 I would feel similarly about that place. Who knows?

If people were comparing Space Mountain and Matterhorn, and someone felt passionately that Space was better with the 90s soundtrack and theming than it is post-05 refurb, that would undoubtedly affect their ranking of the present-day rides and might even shift their preference from one ride to another. That's reality. If doing something similar where whole parks are concerned invalidates my opinion in your eyes because that makes me biased or whatever, so be it. But given that this is a Disney board, there's no way I'm the only biased person here for a question like this.

"Comparing without the extra stuff?" Ok, sure. In a similar vein, I can't wait to see your totally unbiased ranking of TBA when that ride opens, because you will obviously be able to see that ride 100% objectively, given your well-documented feelings on everything related to Splash. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And to clarify, are you saying I shouldn't hold DCA accountable to Disney's own standards, standards that Disney still actively says they are upholding in books, press releases, etc. even when they transparently are not (something I think we are otherwise generally in agreement on as a collective DL Board)? That I should just give DCA the easy win because it's the Disney park and this is the Disney site, even if I feel the park as it is does not merit the higher ranking? That doesn't make any sense to me. I rate things as I see them, and don't particularly care if anyone else agrees.

Sure USH doesn't have things for the very old or very young, but is there anything in their marketing that hides that? Universal's marketing makes it pretty clear who the park is for. DCA targets a wider audience, sure, but there's little there that's truly outstanding for any audience. Take RSR out of the equation and what do you really have that is an uncontested home run? By contrast, if you fit Universal's demographic, there are SEVERAL things are true home runs.

So yes, for me USH is the better park, and there is probably nothing anyone can say that could ever convince me otherwise at this point.

mickEblu

I cannot see present-day DCA without taking what DCA was into account, because my view of DCA is colored by the knowledge of what it used to be. Much in the same way that some on here cannot see Disneyland and appreciate what it is now, because their view is colored by what it used to be. Perhaps if I had been around to see USH before 2013 I would feel similarly about that place. Who knows?

If people were comparing Space Mountain and Matterhorn, and someone felt passionately that Space was better with the 90s soundtrack and theming than it is post-05 refurb, that would undoubtedly affect their ranking of the present-day rides and might even shift their preference from one ride to another. That's reality. If doing something similar where whole parks are concerned invalidates my opinion in your eyes because that makes me biased or whatever, so be it. But given that this is a Disney board, there's no way I'm the only biased person here for a question like this.

"Comparing without the extra stuff?" Ok, sure. In a similar vein, I can't wait to see your totally unbiased ranking of TBA when that ride opens, because you will obviously be able to see that ride 100% objectively, given your well-documented feelings on everything related to Splash. People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

And to clarify, are you saying I shouldn't hold DCA accountable to Disney's own standards, standards that Disney still actively says they are upholding in books, press releases, etc. even when they transparently are not (something I think we are otherwise generally in agreement on as a collective DL Board)? That I should just give DCA the easy win because it's the Disney park and this is the Disney site, even if I feel the park as it is does not merit the higher ranking? That doesn't make any sense to me. I rate things as I see them, and don't particularly care if anyone else agrees.

Sure USH doesn't have things for the very old or very young, but is there anything in their marketing that hides that? Universal's marketing makes it pretty clear who the park is for. DCA targets a wider audience, sure, but there's little there that's truly outstanding for any audience. Take RSR out of the equation and what do you really have that is an uncontested home run? By contrast, if you fit Universal's demographic, there are SEVERAL things are true home runs.

So yes, for me USH is the better park, and there is probably nothing anyone can say that could ever convince me otherwise at this point.

I don’t understand. What does comparing two different iterations of the same ride with the same ride system have to do with this? If we’re not comparing TBA to Splash Mountain what are we comparing it to? Besides, you don’t even know what my final opinion on TBA is and once I do have an opinion you will have no way of knowing how much bias played into that but I can guarantee you that you will be reading a detailed post explaining why I have come to that opinion.

You are here admitting that you are letting all sorts of things that have nothing to do with the product 2023 DCA is delivering influence your opinion. Thank you for admitting that. So there really is no reason to keep going back and forth. I’m upset at what’s happened at DCA since 2016 too.

Not saying you shouldn’t hold Disney accountable. I’m saying none of that has anything to do with what this poll asked. Which was to compare the parks as they are today. So if I had you review two burgers joints could I trust that you were reviewing the burger you were actually eating for the review or would your opinion be influenced by what Burger Joint A used to taste like 10 years ago?

PiratesMansion

Universal Hollywood is better, by my metrics, for me.

Sorry not sorry.

If people want to get weirdly offended by that, that's on them.

Taylor Swift Whatever GIF

mickEblu

Universal Hollywood is better, by my metrics, for me.

Sorry not sorry.

If people want to get weirdly offended by that, that's on them.

Taylor Swift Whatever GIF

Lol nobody is offended. Just saying a lot of the stuff you are using to explain your opinion is irrelevant to question in this poll and you just seem a little irked that I’m calling that out even though you admitted it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

PiratesMansion

Lol nobody is offended. Just saying a lot of the stuff you are using to explain your opinion is irrelevant to question in this poll and you just seem a little irked that I’m calling that out even though you admitted it. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh yes, because every single other person except me is only using objective, non-biased metrics, here, on this Disney board. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Professortango1

So USH is better because it’s more consistent with its bland and/ or bad theming? So you’d enjoy DCA more if it all looked like the Hollywood Backlot? What do the well themed lands like Harry Potter and Super Nintendo land have to do with the Movie Studio concept? The Studio Tour is the only thing left that has anything to do “Movie Studio Park” Outside of that it’s a Movie Studio Park in the same way DCA is a park about California.

On the lower lot you have some small attempt at a Jurassic Park themed area with Transformers and Mummy in boxes and then an actual themed land in Super Nintendo. This isn’t a bigger mish mash than DCA? DCA is 10x more aesthetically beautiful than USH. You have vistas, waterfalls and great scenery in lands like Cars Land and Grizzly Those two lands are far greater in quality and scale than Potter and Mario. Peak. Even the pier at dusk/night is quite pleasant. The food is also much better at DCA as is the entertainment. Honestly even comparing the parks is a bit absurd. Which ride lineup is better can be debated but I’d still give it to DCA. I go to theme parks to walk around/ enjoy pleasant atmospheres and go on fun rides. If it has something decent to eat or snack on is a bonus.

Why people or some people prefer USH? Looks like DCA has about 2/3 of the votes on this poll. I get that DCA was better 7 years ago but I’m not letting that influence my opinion. I’m comparing apples to apples.

@PiratesMansion I guess this response would apply to your post as well. Again, I agree that DCA was better 7 years ago but that doesn’t mean it’s still not a better park than USH. Like I said earlier I think people view it a little harshly because of its location and because they remember when it was a better place but if you’re comparing Park A-Z to Park A-Z DCA wins by a landslide IMO.

Well I guess 2/3 of the voters on this poll disagree with your disagreement. Haha. Honestly I’m perplexed that USH even has 1/3 of the votes.

I wouldn't call Hogsmede bland or bad. I wouldn't call Springfield bad or bland. The lower lot splinter of Mummy, Jurassic World, and Transformers isn't amazing, but its not boring either. Jurassic World draws you in. The Transformers Facade is dynamic and interesting. Then you have the new World of Nintendo land which is small but well themed. The upper lot also has some interesting areas with New York Street, Illumination Avenue with SLOP and Minions. The areas are not gangbusters, but they fit the park. I walk around and say "hey, that building looks like that movie I know." Then I ride a ride inspired by that movie.

DCA, I walk around and say "wow, they really made me feel like I'm a random industrial park that's been rethemed for Marvel. Cool? Its more detailed, but the theme doesn't do anything. Its not interesting on its own and it doesn't remind me of something from the franchise that I thought was interesting.

And yes, Cars Land is great. Grizzly is beautiful, but also knee-capped by the Hotel. Radiator Springs is the only Disney-quality area of the park for me. I think if it had another solid C-D ticket and and/or a the drive-in restaurant, it would be a knock-out. But that's the only land that feels realized.

Hollywoodland feels like Tomorrowland, a land waiting for a retheme. Except it doesn't have Space Mountain or Star Tours to support it.

Avengers Campus is a bust. The best attraction in the land is Mission BO, and that doesn't even feel like its IN the land. WEB Slingers is mediocre at best, the Doctor Strange Magic show should have had an actual theatre built for it for better sightlines and control over visuals. The land itself is boring.

Pixar Pier just makes me feel like I'm at the County Fair. Characters plastered onto cheap rides without any reason. I like Midway Mania, but the rest of the land is just gross for me.

Mermaid sits alone in this weird sliver of park stuck between the WOC Bay and DVC Towers along with Jellyfish, Goofy, and Zepher. It doesn't feel like a land. It feels like a parade route with some attractions plopped down and no visually interesting design elements to draw the eye.

Grizzly Peak, as mentioned, is gorgeous. But the land feels boxed in with nowhere to expand to and the rides also feel kind of generic. Generic with Disney money behind them, but still they lack any magic or unique feeling. Calico Rapids at Knotts has more charm for me. Is it clunkier? YEP. But I appreciate it and the what they are doing.

So in the end;

Hogsmede vs Radiator Springs - Hogsemede by a hair. FJ is slightly better than RSR. FOTH is better than Luigi's Dancing Cars, and the land is slightly more fun to explore.

Nintendo vs Avengers Campus - Nintendo by a hair. The Mario Kart ride isn't a slam dunk, but its definitely better than WEB Slingers and feels more conceptually sound that Mission BO. Mission BO is more thrilling, but I do have a bias as I don't think it holds a candle to what it replaced. And then land for land, Nintendo is cute with plenty to see and do.

Springfield vs Pixar Pier - Springfield by FAR. I loved walking around Springfield, getting a donut, and riding the ride. Pixar Pier only has Midway Mania for me. Screamin' used to be fun diversion, but now its a bit sad to me with the constant VO and cheap elements.

Illumination vs Hollywood Land - Illumination by a hair. I don't love the Minion's Ride, but SLOP is a cute dark ride. The land feels cohesive. The Hyperion could help sway the balance if they brought in a good show again or even built the rest of the theatre. Animation Acadamy is all but gutted for storage.

Entry Plaza vs Buena Vista Street - Buena Vista Street wins, easily. That refresh is what gave us all so much hope for the park.

Water World vs what show do they have at DCA again? - DCA had Aladdin for awhile. They should have had a stunt show for AC that would have blown the 20 year old Water World out of the water, no pun intended. But they didn't. And WW still slaps.

Tram Tour vs .....? - 70 minute ride. Always different. That's a win.

Grizzly Peak vs Lower Lot Hub - that's a hard one. GP clearly has better themeing. But JW is a better ride that GRR. Mummy is better than Soarin. Transformers is a better version of Mission BO, so it obviously beats Challenge Trail.

Look, I'm not going to tell you USH is the most beautiful park. I'd go with DLP or TDS for that. But DCA is nicer looking. But its boring. The choices they make with the lands don't evoke emotions or nostalgia. They just look more realistic. The rides at USH are clear winners of DCA. They are fewer, but they have the charm that DCA is lacking. And that's with me liking the Disney properties far more than Transformers of Jurassic World.

How do I know I like USH better? Because I pay money to visit USH every few years. Have for awhile. DCA....Its just not worth it for me. I go to Disneyland still, but I'm not wasting the time or money on a parkhopper.

Professortango1

Even that doesn’t make any sense though becasue you can’t say DCA without saying Disneyland and DLR as a whole is obviously better than USH so this all really is a pointless exercise.
Way to move the goal posts. Now you are saying we can't look at DCA as a separate theme park with its own admission price and design even though it clearly is? DCA is not an extra land added to Disneyland. It may be used as an AP lounge and recreation area, but that was not the original intent nor is it how it is sold to the public. If I want to go to DCA, I need to pay $104+ to visit. Just like how I'd have to buy a ticket to USH.

If DCA admission included a ticket to Disneyland, you might have a point there. But, it doesn't. So, you don't. Disneyland can't put its finger on the scale to help you right now.

mickEblu

Way to move the goal posts. Now you are saying we can't look at DCA as a separate theme park with its own admission price and design even though it clearly is? DCA is not an extra land added to Disneyland. It may be used as an AP lounge and recreation area, but that was not the original intent nor is it how it is sold to the public. If I want to go to DCA, I need to pay $104+ to visit. Just like how I'd have to buy a ticket to USH.

If DCA admission included a ticket to Disneyland, you might have a point there. But, it doesn't. So, you don't. Disneyland can't put its finger on the scale to help you right now.

You seem to be taking this personally and I think I’m pretty much done with this convo but moving goal posts? Im saying in reality the question/ poll is not relevant as Disneyland is steps away from DCA and beats both USH and DCA so what’s the point of debating if USH or DCA is better? In reality I would pick (or send an out of town family member) to DLR/ Disneyland over USH if I/ they had one day to do a theme park in So Cal. For the sake of this thread we’re all pretending Disneyland doesn’t exist or isn’t available that day.

Last edited:

mickEblu

I wouldn't call Hogsmede bland or bad. I wouldn't call Springfield bad or bland. The lower lot splinter of Mummy, Jurassic World, and Transformers isn't amazing, but its not boring either. Jurassic World draws you in. The Transformers Facade is dynamic and interesting. Then you have the new World of Nintendo land which is small but well themed. The upper lot also has some interesting areas with New York Street, Illumination Avenue with SLOP and Minions. The areas are not gangbusters, but they fit the park. I walk around and say "hey, that building looks like that movie I know." Then I ride a ride inspired by that movie.

DCA, I walk around and say "wow, they really made me feel like I'm a random industrial park that's been rethemed for Marvel. Cool? Its more detailed, but the theme doesn't do anything. Its not interesting on its own and it doesn't remind me of something from the franchise that I thought was interesting.

And yes, Cars Land is great. Grizzly is beautiful, but also knee-capped by the Hotel. Radiator Springs is the only Disney-quality area of the park for me. I think if it had another solid C-D ticket and and/or a the drive-in restaurant, it would be a knock-out. But that's the only land that feels realized.

Hollywoodland feels like Tomorrowland, a land waiting for a retheme. Except it doesn't have Space Mountain or Star Tours to support it.

Avengers Campus is a bust. The best attraction in the land is Mission BO, and that doesn't even feel like its IN the land. WEB Slingers is mediocre at best, the Doctor Strange Magic show should have had an actual theatre built for it for better sightlines and control over visuals. The land itself is boring.

Pixar Pier just makes me feel like I'm at the County Fair. Characters plastered onto cheap rides without any reason. I like Midway Mania, but the rest of the land is just gross for me.

Mermaid sits alone in this weird sliver of park stuck between the WOC Bay and DVC Towers along with Jellyfish, Goofy, and Zepher. It doesn't feel like a land. It feels like a parade route with some attractions plopped down and no visually interesting design elements to draw the eye.

Grizzly Peak, as mentioned, is gorgeous. But the land feels boxed in with nowhere to expand to and the rides also feel kind of generic. Generic with Disney money behind them, but still they lack any magic or unique feeling. Calico Rapids at Knotts has more charm for me. Is it clunkier? YEP. But I appreciate it and the what they are doing.

So in the end;

Hogsmede vs Radiator Springs - Hogsemede by a hair. FJ is slightly better than RSR. FOTH is better than Luigi's Dancing Cars, and the land is slightly more fun to explore.

Nintendo vs Avengers Campus - Nintendo by a hair. The Mario Kart ride isn't a slam dunk, but its definitely better than WEB Slingers and feels more conceptually sound that Mission BO. Mission BO is more thrilling, but I do have a bias as I don't think it holds a candle to what it replaced. And then land for land, Nintendo is cute with plenty to see and do.

Springfield vs Pixar Pier - Springfield by FAR. I loved walking around Springfield, getting a donut, and riding the ride. Pixar Pier only has Midway Mania for me. Screamin' used to be fun diversion, but now its a bit sad to me with the constant VO and cheap elements.

Illumination vs Hollywood Land - Illumination by a hair. I don't love the Minion's Ride, but SLOP is a cute dark ride. The land feels cohesive. The Hyperion could help sway the balance if they brought in a good show again or even built the rest of the theatre. Animation Acadamy is all but gutted for storage.

Entry Plaza vs Buena Vista Street - Buena Vista Street wins, easily. That refresh is what gave us all so much hope for the park.

Water World vs what show do they have at DCA again? - DCA had Aladdin for awhile. They should have had a stunt show for AC that would have blown the 20 year old Water World out of the water, no pun intended. But they didn't. And WW still slaps.

Tram Tour vs .....? - 70 minute ride. Always different. That's a win.

Grizzly Peak vs Lower Lot Hub - that's a hard one. GP clearly has better themeing. But JW is a better ride that GRR. Mummy is better than Soarin. Transformers is a better version of Mission BO, so it obviously beats Challenge Trail.

Look, I'm not going to tell you USH is the most beautiful park. I'd go with DLP or TDS for that. But DCA is nicer looking. But its boring. The choices they make with the lands don't evoke emotions or nostalgia. They just look more realistic. The rides at USH are clear winners of DCA. They are fewer, but they have the charm that DCA is lacking. And that's with me liking the Disney properties far more than Transformers of Jurassic World.

How do I know I like USH better? Because I pay money to visit USH every few years. Have for awhile. DCA....Its just not worth it for me. I go to Disneyland still, but I'm not wasting the time or money on a parkhopper.

Hogsmeade is not bad or bland. It’s a nicely themed land even if it’s a bit cramped and has some poor sight lines. The snow on the rooftops brings a certain artificial quality to the land considering the sunny/ hot weather in So Cal. Love Three Broomsticks and the FJ queue. The ride is fine but not one of my favorites.

So the Transformers facade is dynamic and interesting and Cars Land falls short of being a knock out because it needs another C ticket in addition to having a huge E ticket, two C tickets, a cool restaurant and one of the greatest reveals/ vistas in any theme park. It almost feels like you are using different grading scales. Just to be clear this is the Transformers Facade with the Giant billboard/ movie poster on the big exposed show building we’re talking about?

Grizzly Peak vs the Lower Lot is a tough one? Springfield is better than Pixar Pier? Ok clearly we have different views on theme parks. So in some cases you seem to be judging lands based on the rides they contain but then you pick Springfield over Pixar Pier so I’m lost. You re kind of all over the place. You obviously prefer USH and that’s fine but your logic is confusing as hell.

Professortango1

Hogsmeade is not bad or bland. It’s a nicely themed land even if it’s a bit cramped and has some poor sight lines. The snow on the rooftops brings a certain artificial quality to the land considering the sunny/ hot weather in So Cal. Love Three Broomsticks and the FJ queue. The ride is fine but not one of my favorites.

So the Transformers facade is dynamic and interesting and Cars Land falls short of being a knock out because it needs another C ticket in addition to having a huge E ticket, two C tickets, a cool restaurant and one of the greatest reveals/ vistas in any theme park. It almost feels like you are using different grading scales. Just to be clear this is the Transformers Facade with the Giant billboard/ movie poster on the big exposed show building we’re talking about?

Grizzly Peak vs the Lower Lot is a tough one? Springfield is better than Pixar Pier? Ok clearly we have different views on theme parks. So in some cases you seem to be judging lands based on the rides they contain but then you pick Springfield over Pixar Pier so I’m lost. You re kind of all over the place. You obviously prefer USH and that’s fine but your logic is confusing as hell.
Yes, the Transformers facade isn't bland. Is it gorgeous? Nope, but it's also a lot better than a beige building.

Cars Land looks amazing. I already said that. But the land lacks a smidge of things for me to do. Another C-D ticket or experience would allow me to stay in the land and enjoy the scenery longer.

As with Springfield. I can go to Moe's Tavern and have a Flamin' Moe. I can go to Krusty Burger. Iconic locales. I can spend 20 or so minutes just exploring. Pixar Pier has nothing to discover. I can't pretend I'm at a seaside park from another era. I can't pretend I'm stepping into some of my favourite films or stories. I can pretend I'm riding a cheaply themed carousel with a fiberglass Jessie frozen in front. I can pretend I'm riding a generic spinner with Inside Out figurines attached to the the marquee. If you love the Simpsons, Springfield is a blast. If you love Pixar, Pixar Pier is still bland and ugly.

And yes, Grizzly Peak vs Lower Lot is tough. As a themed land, Grizzly Peak is more aesthetically pleasing. Hands down. But when looking at the content. An unthemed flight sim ride concept and a pretty but uneventful generic rafting ride vs a short but dynamic flume with AA's, a rollercoaster through a decently themed ruin, and a brother to Spider-Man at USO with practical sets mixed with motion bases. I hate the Franchise of Transformers. But it's a decent attraction. Better than any attraction at DCA, save RSR.

That's why it's complicated. The content is better at USH, but the packaging is worse in regards to Lower Lot.

mickEblu

Yes, the Transformers facade isn't bland. Is it gorgeous? Nope, but it's also a lot better than a beige building.

Cars Land looks amazing. I already said that. But the land lacks a smidge of things for me to do. Another C-D ticket or experience would allow me to stay in the land and enjoy the scenery longer.

As with Springfield. I can go to Moe's Tavern and have a Flamin' Moe. I can go to Krusty Burger. Iconic locales. I can spend 20 or so minutes just exploring. Pixar Pier has nothing to discover. I can't pretend I'm at a seaside park from another era. I can't pretend I'm stepping into some of my favourite films or stories. I can pretend I'm riding a cheaply themed carousel with a fiberglass Jessie frozen in front. I can pretend I'm riding a generic spinner with Inside Out figurines attached to the the marquee. If you love the Simpsons, Springfield is a blast. If you love Pixar, Pixar Pier is still bland and ugly.

And yes, Grizzly Peak vs Lower Lot is tough. As a themed land, Grizzly Peak is more aesthetically pleasing. Hands down. But when looking at the content. An unthemed flight sim ride concept and a pretty but uneventful generic rafting ride vs a short but dynamic flume with AA's, a rollercoaster through a decently themed ruin, and a brother to Spider-Man at USO with practical sets mixed with motion bases. I hate the Franchise of Transformers. But it's a decent attraction. Better than any attraction at DCA, save RSR.

That's why it's complicated. The content is better at USH, but the packaging is worse in regards to Lower Lot.

Alright well let’s just agree to disagree. The Springfield over Pixar Pier take is just wild to me though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom