California Adventure vs Universal Studios Hollywood

Better park?

• Total voters

bryanfze55

I’m inclined to agree with your assessment of Grizzly Peak (but don’t forget about Pacific Wharf!), it really is beautiful. Though Universal really does only have two areas it can even consider to be “lands”: those being Springfield and Wizarding World.

Edit: I forgot that the illumination area is sort of becoming a land of sorts. -and Nintendo is on the way.

Everything else just sort of, exists on the backlot. I think one could make an argument for Wizarding World being a better themed area, overall but it all comes down to personal opinion.

There’s certainly more to do in terms of shopping and eating in WW and I do think the marquee attraction is better.. yet, GP is so relaxing and it’s way harder to get a sunburn there, haha. Yeah, the area is just so relaxing, which is a rarity in almost any park these days. Took this photo on our last trip a few weeks ago.

View attachment 559926
Potter is a well-themed land, no doubt. I think I just have a natural bias towards non-IP lands. I’m also a national parks fanatic, so I have a bias towards the romanticized version of that. I think Potter vs Cars Land would be a better comparison, and that’s a close call for me - but I probably give the edge to Cars Land. Again, there may be some bias towards the romanticized red rock landscape that you’d find in Utah and Northern Arizona.

As for rides, though, I can be objective enough to say that USH’s five best are probably better than DCA’s five best when viewed as a whole.

DavidDL

Potter is a well-themed land, no doubt. I think I just have a natural bias towards non-IP lands. I’m also a national parks fanatic, so I have a bias towards the romanticized version of that. I think Potter vs Cars Land would be a better comparison, and that’s a close call for me - but I probably give the edge to Cars Land. Again, there may be some bias towards the romanticized red rock landscape that you’d find in Utah and Northern Arizona.

As for rides, though, I can be objective enough to say that USH’s five best are probably better than DCA’s five best when viewed as a whole.

You being a national parks fanatic, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me! Even I still think coming into Carsland from the Pacific Wharf area is the best way to do it because you’re immediately engulfed in that rock work. It’s honestly hard to believe that it’s man-made sometimes. I definitely think that’s the best way to enter Carsland.

bryanfze55

100%

Just to throw some more anecdotal testimony onto the pile, people can absolutely spend a full day at DCA, (at least before the pandemic). I visited in 2019 for the first time since DCA 1.0 and I spent an open-close day there. I'm planning to do it again this summer but it'll definitely be harder without parades and World of Color.
I’ve spent a whole day there, but I was with children each time so that day included things like the Dance Party and Turtle Talk.

The park has a lot of filler, but some of it is pretty decent filler if you’re willing to give it a shot - Monsters Inc., PhilharMagic, Animation Academy, Redwood Creek (again, maybe only if you have kids).

None of this means DCA stands as a beacon of what a Disney Park should be. Certainly not. It’s still an “add-on” to Disneyland that is significantly weaker than the castle park but much better than something like Six Flags. It’s a worthwhile change of pace if you have an AP or park hoppers.

I also think it’s silly to suggest a family couldn’t fill up an entire day there if they do something besides just ride E-tickets. Like most things, the truth exists somewhere in the middle.

DavidDL

Hey! As an adult, I can confirm that Redwood Creek is for everyone! :D

I second the notion that DCA feels like an “add-on” park. I would never pay $154 out of pocket for a one day, one park ticket to it. But when buying a ticket to Disneyland, suddenly the additional 50 bucks or so to “add-on” stuff like Grizzly Peak and Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta via Park Hopper doesn’t sound so bad.

Yet I don’t hesitate to spend that kind of money on a one day ticket to Uni. Then again, the highest tier of annual pass Uni is offering right now goes for only $249, which is less than two days to DCA.

Californian Elitist

Acting like either park has a cohesive theme is kind of silly. “Ride the movies” is an activity, not a theme - and it’s essentially the key focus of both parks at this point other than the Grizzly Peak area of DCA, which is the best themed land at either park.
Those of us who prefer USH have actually stated that it doesn’t pretend to have a cohesive theme, unlike DCA and hence why it’s one of the reasons we prefer USH. DCA touts a California theme, yet it’s a jumbled mess. There’s no cohesion, even though it’s Disney’s goal to have one, and there hasn’t been for many years now.

DanielBB8

DCA’s California theming wasn’t even that good in the early 2000s.
57A8B086-5CD5-4782-8AB4-C7E5E6908488.jpeg
0EF1D144-9292-454F-BB03-20C2A592C44D.jpeg
4FA31F53-A01C-4DC8-A750-A21203E423D2.jpeg
AB742B72-85A9-4FC0-B777-2313446BBC47.jpeg
45AF1425-3FE8-4651-8FFC-613B75D4F92D.jpeg
0A0504BB-6FBD-429B-9AAD-F9ADEEAF46A1.jpeg
5E146568-0631-407C-A9FF-475F18538641.jpeg

josh2000

I’ve spent a whole day there, but I was with children each time so that day included things like the Dance Party and Turtle Talk.

The park has a lot of filler, but some of it is pretty decent filler if you’re willing to give it a shot - Monsters Inc., PhilharMagic, Animation Academy, Redwood Creek (again, maybe only if you have kids).

None of this means DCA stands as a beacon of what a Disney Park should be. Certainly not. It’s still an “add-on” to Disneyland that is significantly weaker than the castle park but much better than something like Six Flags. It’s a worthwhile change of pace if you have an AP or park hoppers.

I also think it’s silly to suggest a family couldn’t fill up an entire day there if they do something besides just ride E-tickets. Like most things, the truth exists somewhere in the middle.
Most definitely! There's a lot more to a park than just the e-tickets. Earlier in the thread someone suggested that the idea of spending a full day at DCA is 'silly' which is pretty shocking to me considering how much stuff you can do at the park.

California Adventure has its flaws but I still rate it pretty favorably compared to some of the Disney parks in Florida or internationally. And I certainly would rate it higher than Universal Studios Hollywood. DCA does a lot of things right.

DLR92

Those were the results of cheap Disney using 650 million of dollars to build the park back then. Had it given a bigger budget 1.8-2 million, with longer planning. Perhaps DCA could have been different beast than what we remember upon it opening.

The park was plagued by poor planning, cheap budget. 🙄🙄🙄

bryanfze55

Those of us who prefer USH have actually stated that it doesn’t pretend to have a cohesive theme, unlike DCA and hence why it’s one of the reasons we prefer USH. DCA touts a California theme, yet it’s a jumbled mess. There’s no cohesion, even though it’s Disney’s goal to have one, and there hasn’t been for many years now.
I agree Disney should stop the California schtick. But at the end of the day, I care more about the actual outcome than I do the empty goals or words of either company.

DanielBB8

Those were the results of cheap Disney using 650 million of dollars to build the park back then. Had it given a bigger budget 1.8-2 million, with longer planning. Perhaps DCA could have been different beast than what we remember upon it opening.

The park was plagued by poor planning, cheap budget. 🙄🙄🙄
But it’s more consistently California 😂 . It does remind me of today’s Venice Beach. A jumbled colorful mess
FC671797-FEB7-4D27-9DB0-2D831A9E13A6.jpeg

PiratesMansion

None of this means DCA stands as a beacon of what a Disney Park should be. Certainly not. It’s still an “add-on” to Disneyland that is significantly weaker than the castle park but much better than something like Six Flags.

I agree Disney should stop the California schtick. But at the end of the day, I care more about the actual outcome than I do the empty goals or words of either company.
I think that's part of the reason I prefer USH. It's much more honest about what it actually is vs. DCA.

Six Flags may not be a better park but I'd say Six Flags and Universal are both much more honest about what they really are than DCA.

bryanfze55

I think that's part of the reason I prefer USH. It's much more honest about what it actually is vs. DCA.

Six Flags may not be a better park but I'd say Six Flags and Universal are both much more honest about what they really are than DCA.
True, I’m just not convinced honesty matters all that much in the context we’re discussing. At the end of the day, I place more emphasis on quality than honesty. DCA has a lot of issues, but those issues are a lack of high-quality rides and attractions and disjointed theming - not “dishonesty.”

DanielBB8

What is most honest than Pixar Pier? It’s an amusement park selling IP. Theme parks are more well developed amusement parks.

USH is a movie studio, but it’s actually cover to the amusement park since that’s the part you’re visiting and barely skirting the movie studios.

I recalled the days when DCA was called a carnival in the parking lot. That’s honesty.

Maybe there another layer to this honesty that should be peeled back.

Disney and Universal just wants your money.

Last edited:

DavidDL

True, I’m just not convinced honesty matters all that much in the context we’re discussing. At the end of the day, I place more emphasis on quality than honesty. DCA has a lot of issues, but those issues are a lack of high-quality rides and attractions and disjointed theming - not “dishonesty.”

I guess it just comes down to each individuals, personal expectation of the park(s), their own experiences and what it means to them/how they interpret it.

Someone whose born today and or starts to visit a park like DCA for the first time nowadays, will have an entirely different reality formed around them of what DCA is and means as a park. In that individual's case, the disjointed-ness of the park and overall lack of direction will just sort of be the way things are. I can understand that.

But what each individual feels when it comes to feeling like they've been taken for a ride is subjective, I guess, too. In the literal sense, you're onto something about them not being "literally" dishonest. For the most part, Disney announces their intention to build something, does so and folks are free to take it or leave it. Most of the time.

But while Disney never explicitly promises us something along the lines of "the Tower of Terror will be here forever", I still think it's fair for certain folks with longer history with the park and who have watched it evolve two or three times over the past 20 years to feel like they were "baited and switched" to an extent with the sudden shift in direction the park has taken in recent years. It's okay for those folks to feel that disappointment and it's hard for them to not apply the term to the park given the way they feel, even if in the "literal" sense, it may not be entirely accurate.

Take into account that most folks who feel this way watched an objectively poorly built park open. Disney acknowledges this after close to a decade of waiting and beings to show off concept art for the future of the park circa 2012. Said artwork is seen mostly as a giant improvement for these folks that both integrates Disney's desire for more name brand but also in a strategically chosen way that will embrace the infrastructure and core of the park that they've already built (stuff like Grizzly Peak, the Grand Californian, etc.) in a way that makes sense (more or less). Both sides are happy.

However, as the years go by, certain projects with anticipated Blue Sky models and concept art never materialize. Instead, the park seemingly shifts it's focus away from building things that would further "bind" the park it looked like they were starting to build together and Disney begins to immediately hit us with a series of curveballs whose only seemingly evident explanation for being there is to "cash in" as quickly as possible on whatever is making the most money at the time.

In a way, you're technically right. It's not like Disney "didn't" say they wouldn't go this route. They didn't "technically" lie. They just dangled something highly desirable in the face of long time visitors to the park and then just when we starting to enjoy it, immediately pulled it away. -and while that's not "technically" lying, you can see how a subsect of Guests could interpret it that way and be understandably frustrated with that decision.

Additionally, new things Disney has decided to replace the former with, are subjectively not as good or of the same quality as what they were doing before, further frustrating these Guests.

Like you, I feel that if they're going to continue down this path, I'd rather they rip the band-aid off now and do away with any semblance of the "California" theme or name. Or give the term new meaning (such as making sure each offered ride or show is only available here in CA). Or better integrate their characters and brands into the park as a whole. This is Disney we're talking about, so we know they've got the talent and the money to do either thing and do it really well. The question is, will they and if so, when? I think those unanswered questions just further frustrate some of us.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom