California Adventure vs Universal Studios Hollywood

Better park?

• Total voters

DanielBB8

It's all a matter of personal opinion. I've given DCA plenty of chances and really enjoyed myself there around 2012. But right now, I only like, 5 things there and would only want to do them each once at most. At Universal, I also only like about 5 things but I like those 5 things so much more and would want to keep riding them over and over again.

If one likes the things DCA has to offer more, then they can vote for it, explain their reasoning and move on. But just because DCA, statistically, has "more to do" than Universal, does not mean that myself or anyone else, is required to claim those things are better or that we're forced to enjoy our time there more. We get to decide what is more fun to us, not others.
Okay, then. If you like USH, then that's what you prefer. But don't give me this "But it's just been one disappointment after another for me, lately in terms of a bunch of IP I don't care about or feel like doesn't fit within the context of the park."

That's where you gave USH some major slack. If context affects your ability to enjoy IP in the park, then it didn't matter for USH.

DCA's themes are much more stronger than USH and that's my opinion. However, Hogwarts and the future Nintendo will even the score to almost parity although not attractions count.

Californian Elitist

Okay, then. If you like USH, then that's what you prefer. But don't give me this "But it's just been one disappointment after another for me, lately in terms of a bunch of IP I don't care about or feel like doesn't fit within the context of the park."

That's where you gave USH some major slack. If context affects your ability to enjoy IP in the park, then it didn't matter for USH.

DCA's themes are much more stronger than USH and that's my opinion. However, Hogwarts and the future Nintendo will even the score to almost parity although not attractions count.
They can give that to you all they want because it’s THEIR opinion. DCA is absolutely disappointing for some of us because of the presence of IP attractions that we don’t care for. We don’t feel the same about USH.

CaptinEO

CA Adventure is just so lifeless to me, with the one exception being the Grizzly Rapids Area.

The Pier is an ugly eyesore that takes up 50% of the park and requires too much walking. It reminds me of all the other ugly piers around CA beaches and does nothing for me.

Sometimes less is more, if you were to remove that entire pier / carnival area (everything), the park would be better for it.

DavidDL

DCA's themes are much more stronger than USH and that's my opinion.

Oh come off it. Learn that other people have different opinions and you don't get to decide how they view the parks or decide for them what they come to expect from them.

Context absolutely matters to me. If it doesn't matter to you then kindly move along. But if someone told you they were giving you a car and you went outside to find a scooter, you'd rightfully say "that's not a car, that's a scooter". You may be able to have some fun on said scooter and even find some use for it but you'd still have to live with the disappointment of being told you were getting a car and instead getting something else.

It is this way for me and others with DCA. In 2001, we were told the park was supposed to be a tribute to the state of California, then, in 2012, we were also pitched that the park would be improving on the whole while still managing to hold onto some of those themes and make them work within the context of them. We were given Buena Vista Street, promised an improved Hollywoodland, Paradise Pier was gaining a more classy Victorian Era theme, tacky stuff like Burger Invasion became one of the most beautiful dining areas in the resort and Grizzly Peak started to expand to consume Condor Flats. Things were looking up.

Then, they pulled the rug out from under those of us who were really enjoying that direction the park was heading. Hollywoodland never saw the improvements Blue Sky Cellar was pitching. Cohesive, thematic choices like Tower of Terror were scrapped and replaced with rushed, summer movie tie-in attractions. Paradise Pier gave way to what many of us think is a vastly inferior and tackier product, Pixar Pier, complete with babies on sticks and a coaster with a soundtrack now so obnoxious that some of us can't hear ourselves think. Topped all off with what looks to be an incoming Midway Mania-style shooter attraction to anchor a newly built Avengers area that frankly, doesn't do anything to further what some of us believe should be the overall anchoring theme of the park.

The difference, Daniel, between DCA and USH, is that USH didn't promise us or try to trick us into being anything else other than what it is. Throughout it's entire life, it has claimed to be exactly what it is and we as customers know exactly what we are getting with a park like Hollywood's. That extra layer doesn't weigh down on our time in the park and affect our perception (alongside attraction preferences).

So, in addition to having attractions and things to do that we honestly think are better, they also don't "bait and switch us" the way some of us feel DCA does. If DCA wants to head the direction it's going, that's fine. But then Disney needs to go the extra mile to tie the park together more cohesively (whether that means building or tearing things down) and even consider another name change.

DCA's themes are a mess, on the whole, as a park, to us. Individually, without context of the park around it, they work fine. If you enjoy them or think they are stronger than USH then feel free to enjoy yourself. Our opinions don't change your time in the park. But the context of the parks as a whole certainly matters and means different things to different people. We as individuals get to decide how we perceive them. Not you.

Stop trying to tell me and others what to "give you". If you can't handle differing opinions or want to take everything others say as some kind of personal assault on your view of the parks, then it's time to get off the internet.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

They can give that to you all they want because it’s THEIR opinion. DCA is absolutely disappointing for some of us because of the presence of IP attractions that we don’t care for. We don’t feel the same about USH.
You didn't read me carefully. CONTEXT was where the slack was given. Yes, you don't feel the same way about USH because it's lack of Context is fine by you.

DanielBB8

Oh come off it. Learn that other people have different opinions and you don't get to decide how they view the parks or decide for them what they come to expect from them.

Context absolutely matters to me. If it doesn't matter to you then kindly move along. But if someone told you they were giving you a car and you went outside to find a scooter, you'd rightfully say "that's not a car, that's a scooter". You may be able to have some fun on said scooter and even find some use for it but you'd still have to live with the disappointment of being told you were getting a car and instead getting something else.

It is this way for me and others with DCA. In 2001, we were told the park was supposed to be a tribute to the state of California, then, in 2012, we were also pitched that the park would be improving on the whole while still managing to hold onto some of those themes and make them work within the context of them. We were given Buena Vista Street, promised an improved Hollywoodland, Paradise Pier was gaining a more classy Victorian Era theme, tacky stuff like Burger Invasion became one of the most beautiful dining areas in the resort and Grizzly Peak started to expand to consume Condor Flats. Things were looking up.

Then, they pulled the rug out from under those of us who were really enjoying that direction the park was heading. Hollywoodland never saw the improvements Blue Sky Cellar was pitching. Cohesive, thematic choices like Tower of Terror were scrapped and replaced with rushed, summer movie tie-in attractions. Paradise Pier gave way to what many of us think is a vastly inferior and tackier product, Pixar Pier, complete with babies on sticks and a coaster with a soundtrack now so obnoxious that some of us can't hear ourselves think. Topped all off with what looks to be an incoming Midway Mania-style shooter attraction to anchor a newly built Avengers area that frankly, doesn't do anything to further what some of us believe should be the overall anchoring theme of the park.

The difference, Daniel, between DCA and USH, is that USH didn't promise us or try to trick us into being anything else other than what it is. Throughout it's entire life, it has claimed to be exactly what it is and we as customers know exactly what we are getting with a park like Hollywood's. That extra layer doesn't weigh down on our time in the park and affect our perception (alongside attraction preferences).

So, in addition to having attractions and things to do that we honestly think are better, they also don't "bait and switch us" the way some of us feel DCA does. If DCA wants to head the direction it's going, that's fine. But then Disney needs to go the extra mile to tie the park together more cohesively (whether that means building or tearing things down) and even consider another name change.

DCA's themes are a mess, on the whole, as a park, to us. Individually, without context of the park around it, they work fine. If you enjoy them or think they are stronger than USH then feel free to enjoy yourself. Our opinions don't change your time in the park. But the context of the parks as a whole certainly matters and means different things to different people. We as individuals get to decide how we perceive them. Not you.

Stop trying to tell me and others what to "give you". If you can't handle differing opinions or want to take everything other say as some kind of personal assault on your view of the parks, then it's time to get off the internet.
You can certainly have you opinion despite the double standard. DCA is what it is. It's vastly improved from what it was. But Disney doesn't have unlimited money and the money simply ran out. It'll continue to run out of money for Avengers Campus that won't have the Quinjet ride. What gives them more money to fund improvement is more attractive IPs. Funny how you don't like DCA's IP for a Disney theme park. I'm defending them despite what they're actually doing to their IPs in a bad way.

DavidDL

You can certainly have you opinion despite the double standard. DCA is what it is. It's vastly improved from what it was. But Disney doesn't have unlimited money and the money simply ran out. It'll continue to run out of money for Avengers Campus that won't have the Quinjet ride. What gives them more money to fund improvement is more attractive IPs. Funny how you don't like DCA's IP for a Disney theme park. I'm defending them despite what they're actually doing to their IPs in a bad way.

Look, this is really all I'm trying to communicate and it's honestly just my opinion. Here is my thought process and mine alone:

Universal Studios Hollywood -> Claims to be a random mesh-up of themes because it is a working movie studio and doesn't promise or pretend to be anything else. -> I walk in the gate and get exactly what they promised, along with attractions I think are better, on the whole.

Disney California Adventure -> Can't seem to make up it's mind over what it wants to be as a park and Disney doesn't seem to want to clarify or commit to one thing or another. Certain areas would have Guests thinking it's still a tribute to California (Grizzly Peak, Pacific Wharf, Hollywoodland, etc.) while seemingly everything else that gets built is cashing in on one franchise or another, ignoring the established areas around them. Therefore -> I walk in the gate and am faced with not only attractions I don't care for but also a park that doesn't even seem to know what it is. If it doesn't know, how can I?

I just want DCA to stop teetering and finally just fall fully to one side or another. I want it to make up it's mind. Either do away with everything "Golden State" related and give the park a name change or find a way to better make Disney themes and IPs work within the "California" theme like they were trying to do nearly a decade ago. But to this day, Disney still hasn't totally or effectively communicated what they want this park to be, long term. Once they do, and provided they actually follow through on whatever they decide, my brain and I will judge the park within whatever newly established context Disney has decided for it.

But I'm personally of the opinion that DCA should have doubled down on the California theme but done so the way they were headed. There's always ways to incorporate IP into something like that in a way that works. Or, if they just want to make it a sole-ly IP based park like Universal, then that's fine too, but change the name and do away with everything related to California. I wouldn't prefer that, but at least they wouldn't be trying to have it both ways, ya know?

Ryan120420

Universal Studios Hollywood easy.

It comes down to what park has more "must ride every visit" attractions.

For me DCA only has 3.

-Guardians of the Galaxy
-Radiator Springs Racers
-Incredicoaster

Universal Studios Hollywood:

- Forbidden Journey
- Secret Life of Pets
- Studio Tour
- Jurassic World
- Transformers
- Mummy

I go to theme parks for rides and Universal Studios Hollywood delivers more vs California Adventure.

J4546

I chose CA. Universal is ok, but so many of the rides are screen based motion sims and those make me sick. I like the Jurassic World ride, Tram tour, the Secret Life of Pets ride is a good darkride, and Waterworld is an amazing show imo but thast about it for me. HP Land is really well done but the ride makes me sick, but I appreciate how well done the land is as a whole. And the new nintendo land looks less and less exciting everyday to me.

CA has more rides I like, Grizzy Rapids is great, Soarin is great, Incredicoaster (theming withstanding) is great, Cars land is great, GotG is great and there are a few decent dark rides (mermaid, TSMM and probably Spiderman) And the food at CA is way better.

DanielBB8

Go off some more.

You're always misunderstanding posts, so I should be used to it by now.

Have a good day.
No, this lies with you. You never explain yourself. I'm done reading misleading posts that you wrote. Since you're unwilling to defend yourself, this is how you do it.

DanielBB8

Look, this is really all I'm trying to communicate and it's honestly just my opinion. Here is my thought process and mine alone:

Universal Studios Hollywood -> Claims to be a random mesh-up of themes because it is a working movie studio and doesn't promise or pretend to be anything else. -> I walk in the gate and get exactly what they promised, along with attractions I think are better, on the whole.

Disney California Adventure -> Can't seem to make up it's mind over what it wants to be as a park and Disney doesn't seem to want to clarify or commit to one thing or another. Certain areas would have Guests thinking it's still a tribute to California (Grizzly Peak, Pacific Wharf, Hollywoodland, etc.) while seemingly everything else that gets built is cashing in on one franchise or another, ignoring the established areas around them. Therefore -> I walk in the gate and am faced with not only attractions I don't care for but also a park that doesn't even seem to know what it is. If it doesn't know, how can I?

I just want DCA to stop teetering and finally just fall fully to one side or another. I want it to make up it's mind. Either do away with everything "Golden State" related and give the park a name change or find a way to better make Disney themes and IPs work within the "California" theme like they were trying to do nearly a decade ago. But to this day, Disney still hasn't totally or effectively communicated what they want this park to be, long term. Once they do, and provided they actually follow through on whatever they decide, my brain and I will judge the park within whatever newly established context Disney has decided for it.

But I'm personally of the opinion that DCA should have doubled down on the California theme but done so the way they were headed. There's always ways to incorporate IP into something like that in a way that works. Or, if they just want to make it a sole-ly IP based park like Universal, then that's fine too, but change the name and do away with everything related to California. I wouldn't prefer that, but at least they wouldn't be trying to have it both ways, ya know?
You already wrote this. I said you're welcome to it. It's still a double standard since neither park will reveal their strategy that can't be nailed down. You're asking for the unicorn.

DCA won't be either one side or the other. It's an impossible approach. They built up California from the big remodel, thus retaining the DCA name yet they are going with more IP as much as possible.

Even if they gotten rid of California, what will be the park? Disney's Adventures? It's still have California elements that won't be excised out. You'll still be dissatisfied with their IP incorporation since this park was designed for California. They would have been smarter to just remove California before the big remodel, but Disney parks still need a theme even if loosely based theme like Epcot or Hollywood Studios.

Universal has little IP based on Universal Studios. Just a reminder. It's a true Universal Hollywood theme park featuring Warner Brothers, Disney, and Nintendo. Did Universal tell us that? No, so that's what makes it okay.

DavidDL

You already wrote this. I said you're welcome to it. It's still a double standard since neither park will reveal their strategy that can't be nailed down. You're asking for the unicorn.

DCA won't be either one side or the other. It's an impossible approach. They built up California from the big remodel, thus retaining the DCA name yet they are going with more IP as much as possible.

Even if they gotten rid of California, what will be the park? Disney's Adventures? It's still have California elements that won't be excised out. You'll still be dissatisfied with their IP incorporation since this park was designed for California. They would have been smarter to just remove California before the big remodel, but Disney parks still need a theme even if loosely based theme like Epcot or Hollywood Studios.

Universal has little IP based on Universal Studios. Just a reminder. It's a true Universal Hollywood theme park featuring Warner Brothers, Disney, and Nintendo. Did Universal tell us that? No, so that's what makes it okay.

3856551913_b6d58cef51_c.jpg

Let's begin. No, it is not a double standard. I am assessing each park individually based on their own merits and what they present themselves to be. California Adventure, has no idea what it wants to be yet, it's strategy is, as you've stated, "not nailed down". This is part of the issue I have with the park as a whole.

But Universal Studios is nailed down. Their park's theme has always been and continues to be, as promised, a place where you can come to ride the movies. First party Universal or not, it doesn't matter. If you are "riding the movies", then you are literally being given exactly what Universal, as a park, is promising you.

Next, "DCA won't be on either side, it's an impossible approach"? For starters, thank you for now understanding where part of my frustration comes from with this park (attractions aside). Next, you're not giving potential Imagineers enough credit. It's not up to me to decide which direction they take the park but I am free to judge it as I see fit. Disney has already proven they are capable of integrating IP-based attractions (with a little thought process) into a larger, California theme. It's not "impossible". Examples include: Midway Mania, a Toy Story IP-attraction designed to fit in with the Paradise Pier area, Tower of Terror, an IP-attraction designed to fit within the Hollywoodland area and Little Mermaid, designed to fit within the waterfront area of Paradise Park, and "it's tough to be a bug!" which could have tied in to a desperately needed upgrade of the California agriculture zone.

Moving along.. "Even if they gotten rid of California, what will be the park? Disney's Adventures?". Sure? I don't know, that's not up to me to decide. Since they seem to just be wanting to cash in on any current box office success and already have another variation of the Hollywood Studios entry way, perhaps some kind of spin on that for the park as a whole? But again, that's not up to me. I've already said what I would have wanted to see on a personal level, from DCA. If they want to be going a different route, that's fine, but go all the way, don't pretend to be something you're not.

Next, "You'll still be dissatisfied with their IP incorporation since this park was designed for California.". This is the second time I'm going to ask you to stop putting words in my mouth across multiple threads. I've already provided examples of IP "working" if they actually try hard enough. Something like Indiana Jones or Midway Mania felt at home within the larger scope of their respective lands. Something like Mission: Breakout! having no explanation for itself in the "Disney California Adventure" park other than "it just burned itself into our reality because we were tired of paying CBS licensing fees and had a new movie coming out this Summer", does not. It really is that simple and cheapens the overall feel of the park. Something can certainly work in DCA, especially since California has ties to tech, but why not go with a more general theme that allows Disney to incorporate even more of the diverse portfolio which is has clamored to build? IP like Tron, Spider-Man, Big Hero 6, etc. can all co-exist side by side in a way that makes sense to the larger theme of the park if Disney actually puts in the effort. I'm not dissatisfied with IP in DCA (or any park for that matter), just the way it has been so brain-dead-ingly handled. Marvel makes money? Let's build a land and drop it next to Grizzly Peak. Why you ask? Eh. It makes money.

You then go on to say "They would have been smarter to just remove California before the big remodel, but Disney parks still need a theme even if loosely based theme like Epcot or Hollywood Studios.".

Yeah, actually, if this is the way they were planning to go, yeah, I agree. This is exactly what I've been trying to communicate. They need to fall one way or another, they can't pretend to keep being both. -and just because they remove the "California" from the park doesn't mean they couldn't create a new or be entirely devoid of overall park theme. "California" doesn't need to be a ball and chain to weigh Guests or Imagineers, down. If they are given true creative freedom and funds, they could do anything. They could remove all the California, re-name the park, adjust it's theme and have mindless IP-galore in the park that works.

Finally, your statement, "Universal has little IP based on Universal Studios. Just a reminder. It's a true Universal Hollywood theme park featuring Warner Brothers, Disney, and Nintendo. Did Universal tell us that? No, so that's what makes it okay." is again addressed by Universal being a working movie studio that other companies frequently utilize AND being solely built around the idea of "riding the movies". But just for fun, let's do a quick count of attractions that tie into Universal, as a whole:

The Studio Tour: Is Universal (King Kong, Jaws, Fast and the Furious, etc.)
Secret Life of Pets: Illumination animation, owned by Universal.
Despicable Me: Illumination animation, owned by Universal.
Kung-Fu Panda: Dreamworks animation, owned by Universal.
The Mummy: Owned by Universal, based clearly on their classic monster films.
Jurassic World: Owned by Universal.
Water World: Owned by Universal.
Super Nintendo: Getting a movie by Illumination, which is again, owned by Universal.

Transformers was filmed in the lower Universal metro sets. Potter and Simpsons are likely the only outliers but even I don't know what kind of post-production services Universal may or may not have offered Warner Bros., etc.

To summarize, once again: Universal claims to be something and succeeds at being that thing, with attractions I think are better. California Adventure has no such fealty to any sort of ideal, other than whatever is bringing in more of the almighty dollar at the moment. Even if it means downgrading established attractions to do so.

DavidDL

s-l400.jpg

"See the stars. Ride the movies."

A simple, easy to understand mantra that affords Universal Studios Hollywood more freedom to include and create attractions from just about any major release from just about any major studio without me questioning why it's there. A theme for the park is clearly established and is done so with enough foresight to allow Universal to do pretty much whatever they want, provided said thing somehow connects to the incredibly open-ended and strategically chosen idea of "movie magic".

Meanwhile, in DCA, the mission statement is literally printed for folks on Buena Vista Street, ending with:

"... this unique place embraces the richness and diversity of California. ...it's land, it's people, it's stories and above all, the dreamers it continues to inspire".

09_16_DL_0630.jpg

Yeah, sure DCA, sure. The park begins to "lie" to you the second you walk through the gate. It's time to fix that.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

I don't get why you need to insert this graphic. Completely unnecessary. I suppose this is how you feel about California Adventure.
Let's begin. No, it is not a double standard. I am assessing each park individually based on their own merits and what they present themselves to be. California Adventure, has no idea what it wants to be yet, it's strategy is, as you've stated, "not nailed down". This is part of the issue I have with the park as a whole.
Not what you said before. You said you give Universal some slack for having various different themes that don't fit. So now you will accuse me of putting words in your mouth?

But Universal Studios is nailed down. Their park's theme has always been and continues to be, as promised, a place where you can come to ride the movies. First party Universal or not, it doesn't matter. If you are "riding the movies", then you are literally being given exactly what Universal, as a park, is promising you.
This is not a strategy. It is already broken with Nintendo Land as it is being built. Ride the movies and video games.
Next, "DCA won't be on either side, it's an impossible approach"? For starters, thank you for now understanding where part of my frustration comes from with this park (attractions aside). Next, you're not giving potential Imagineers enough credit. It's not up to me to decide which direction they take the park but I am free to judge it as I see fit. Disney has already proven they are capable of integrating IP-based attractions (with a little thought process) into a larger, California theme. It's not "impossible". Examples include: Midway Mania, a Toy Story IP-attraction designed to fit in with the Paradise Pier area, Tower of Terror, an IP-attraction designed to fit within the Hollywoodland area and Little Mermaid, designed to fit within the waterfront area of Paradise Park, and "it's tough to be a bug!" which could have tied in to a desperately needed upgrade of the California agriculture zone.
I'm not getting where your frustration is since the only outlier will be Avengers Campus and it will be open in 1 month. Then you're allowed to be frustrated unless you realized it was actually designed for California.
Moving along.. "Even if they gotten rid of California, what will be the park? Disney's Adventures?". Sure? I don't know, that's not up to me to decide. Since they seem to just be wanting to cash in on any current box office success and already have another variation of the Hollywood Studios entry way, perhaps some kind of spin on that for the park as a whole? But again, that's not up to me. I've already said what I would have wanted to see on a personal level, from DCA. If they want to be going a different route, that's fine, but go all the way, don't pretend to be something you're not.
The park will always have a theme regardless. And every theme park will have difficulty being cohesive. You're still chasing a unicorn.
Next, "You'll still be dissatisfied with their IP incorporation since this park was designed for California.". This is the second time I'm going to ask you to stop putting words in my mouth across multiple threads. I've already provided examples of IP "working" if they actually try hard enough. Something like Indiana Jones or Midway Mania felt at home within the larger scope of their respective lands. Something like Mission: Breakout! having no explanation for itself in the "Disney California Adventure" park other than "it just burned itself into our reality because we were tired of paying CBS licensing fees and had a new movie coming out this Summer", does not. It really is that simple and cheapens the overall feel of the park. Something can certainly work in DCA, especially since California has ties to tech, but why not go with a more general theme that allows Disney to incorporate even more of the diverse portfolio which is has clamored to build? IP like Tron, Spider-Man, Big Hero 6, etc. can all co-exist side by side in a way that makes sense to the larger theme of the park if Disney actually puts in the effort. I'm not dissatisfied with IP in DCA (or any park for that matter), just the way it has been so brain-dead-ingly handled. Marvel makes money? Let's build a land and drop it next to Grizzly Peak. Why you ask? Eh. It makes money.
Let's discuss Guardians since this is the major outlier since all the other attractions fit in California.

Guardians is in Hollywood Pictures. Since you established that Universal Studios can have such theming deviations, you should give Guardians slack for this exact reason. Then the other obvious truth is Guardians is actually part of Avenger Campus. It won't ever just be an isolated attraction. The backstories are printing themselves. I saw many Stark billboards that will line up on pathways. It evokes the fictional California aerospace and automotive history.

You then go on to say "They would have been smarter to just remove California before the big remodel, but Disney parks still need a theme even if loosely based theme like Epcot or Hollywood Studios.".

Yeah, actually, if this is the way they were planning to go, yeah, I agree. This is exactly what I've been trying to communicate. They need to fall one way or another, they can't pretend to keep being both. -and just because they remove the "California" from the park doesn't mean they couldn't create a new or be entirely devoid of overall park theme. "California" doesn't need to be a ball and chain to weigh Guests or Imagineers, down. If they are given true creative freedom and funds, they could do anything. They could remove all the California, re-name the park, adjust it's theme and have mindless IP-galore in the park that works.
So California No, but Theme Yes? DCA is really a Hollywood Studios park. This is the only obvious alternative theme without ripping everything out. Ball and chain lifted. Let's not get carried away. I'm used to it being called California Adventure and it is largely California Adventure with Avengers based in California in June 2021.
Finally, your statement, "Universal has little IP based on Universal Studios. Just a reminder. It's a true Universal Hollywood theme park featuring Warner Brothers, Disney, and Nintendo. Did Universal tell us that? No, so that's what makes it okay." is again addressed by Universal being a working movie studio that other companies frequently utilize AND being solely built around the idea of "riding the movies". But just for fun, let's do a quick count of attractions that tie into Universal, as a whole:

The Studio Tour: Is Universal (King Kong, Jaws, Fast and the Furious, etc.)
Secret Life of Pets: Illumination animation, owned by Universal.
Despicable Me: Illumination animation, owned by Universal.
Kung-Fu Panda: Dreamworks animation, owned by Universal.
The Mummy: Owned by Universal, based clearly on their classic monster films.
Jurassic World: Owned by Universal.
Water World: Owned by Universal.
Super Nintendo: Getting a movie by Illumination, which is again, owned by Universal.

Transformers was filmed in the lower Universal metro sets. Potter and Simpsons are likely the only outliers but even I don't know what kind of post-production services Universal may or may not have offered Warner Bros., etc.

To summarize, once again: Universal claims to be something and succeeds at being that thing, with attractions I think are better. California Adventure has no such fealty to any sort of ideal, other than whatever is bringing in more of the almighty dollar at the moment. Even if it means downgrading established attractions to do so.
So we established that we're all upset over the outliers. Go and enjoy the theme parks!!!

DanielBB8

View attachment 559864

A simple, easy to understand mantra that affords Universal Studios Hollywood more freedom to include and create attractions from just about any major release from just about any major studio without me questioning why it's there. A theme for the park is clearly established and is done so with enough foresight to allow Universal to do pretty much whatever they want, provided said thing somehow connects to the incredibly open-ended and strategically chosen idea of "movie magic".

Meanwhile, in DCA, the mission statement is literally printed for folks on Buena Vista Street, ending with:

"... this unique place embraces the richness and diversity of California. ...it's land, it's people, it's stories and above all, the dreamers it continues to inspire".

View attachment 559867

Yeah, sure DCA, sure. The park begins to "lie" to you the second you walk through the gate. It's time to fix that.
There's a lot of wiggle room with that statement.

DLR92

View attachment 559864

View attachment 559867

Disney should have never change Tower of Terror. :/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom