California Adventure only Annual Pass (Fun Pass) available at Costco starting Sept. 1

Disneysea05

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Essentially an annual pass in all but official name. No price listed yet.

Beginning Sept. 1, Guests can purchase a Disney California Adventure Park Fun Pass good for one year of Disney California Adventure Park admission on select days.

Here are some details about the pass:

• Guests also receive a collector’s pin with purchase.
  • Guests using the pass get up to 10% merchandise and food & beverage discounts at Disney California Adventure Park only .
  • It is valid for one year from first use and first use must occur on or before Dec. 1, 2016.
  • Blockout dates for 2016 include: 9/3, 9/4, 11/11, 11/24-11/26, 12/17, 12/19-12/31.
  • Blockout dates for 2017 include: 1/1-1/2, 2/18-2/19, 3/18, 3/25, 4/1, 4/8-4/9, 4/14-4/15, 4/22, 4/29, 5/6, 5/13, 5/20, 5/26-5/28, 6/3, 6/10, 6/17, 6/24, 7/1-7/4, 7/8, 7/15, 7/22, 7/29, 8/5, 8/12, 8/19, 9/2-9/3, 11/10-11/11, 11/23-11/25.
  • It can be upgraded for an additional fee to a Disney Deluxe Passport, Disney Signature Passport, Disney Signature Plus Passport or Disney Premier Passport only.

TP2000

My God this is fascinating.

For those of us who have been watching DCA since the late 1990's, this is really a bizarre turn of events. It's obviously some sort of marketing test for TDA. But that they now feel confident enough in DCA as a stand alone offering to do this says a great deal about how the Disneyland Resort has grown and changed in the last four years, and how they think it might evolve over the next couple years.

Really interesting development. Cynthia Harriss would never believe it.

cjkeating

It will be interesting to see the price for this. If it helps distribute crowds from DL to DCA I think this is a good initiative.

BrianLo

It's an interesting move. I feel like the proximity of the gates makes it a bit hard to pull off in theory though. Not that DCA isn't enjoyable all on its own. Will people want to visit only DCA frequently enough without ever crossing the esplanade? Even if you spring for a one day pass you are probably getting into SoCal AP territory.

Epcot for example might be a more convincing push that I could see a one off AP for. More appealing to a non-ride F&B crowd. But this gets me thinking about if they are trying to introduce more Epcot like festivals into DCA... Sure sounds like it.

Pricing should be fun to see!

SSG

Since you get a more adult crowd at DCA, this could work with a few tweaks such as increasing the food and drink discount, adding more live entertainment options, more special events along the lines of the Food and Wine festival, etc. Seems like a lot of block-outs though.

Rich T

I predict 90% of them will be sold to clueless people who never read details and will later actually be upset when they learn they have to upgrade to go ride Pirates and Space Mountain. At any rate, it's the perfect gift for someone who despises Disneyland, I guess. Personally, when I go to the resort, I just treat DL, and DCA as one huge park, often hopping back and forth several times during the day. I cannot imagine ever going and NOT visiting Disneyland.

D

Deleted member 107043

Depending on the price I'd be interested in purchasing one if I were a local. I'm one of those weird people who prefers DCA over DL. My hunch though is that it'll cost more than I'd be willing to spend.

dweezil78

I definitely have friends who prefer hanging at DCA for the drinking and believe it or not, they prefer the rides there too. I don't get it, but diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

D

Deleted member 107043

I definitely have friends who prefer hanging at DCA for the drinking and believe it or not, they prefer the rides there too. I don't get it, but diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks!

I'm one of those people for sure. For me it's DCA is Disneyland without all the things that I dislike about Disneyland - the long lines, the crowds literally everywhere you turn, strollers, fewer princesses and kiddie things in general - plus a more adult friendly vibe. Not to mention that there are way better dining options and a handful of decent bars where you can hang out and chat with other Disney fans.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
But that they now feel confident enough in DCA as a stand alone offering to do this says a great deal about how the Disneyland Resort has grown and changed in the last four years, and how they think it might evolve over the next couple years.
If this is a result of "They now feel confident with DCA", then they should have been offering Disneyland Park only APs all along.

Rather, this seems to be a result of "There's unused capacity at DCA, but not at Disneyland. What do we do?" Seems like a reasonable solution to me, although I'm surprised they'd do it, since they've always tried to maintain the illusion that the two parks provide equal value, just like they used to do in Fla with the four parks until they made MK more expensive.

Earl Sweatpants

This might make more sense once Marvel land is more imminent, but will be an interesting experiment for sure. Pricing on this will be interesting, as will the uncharge to add in D-land access.

TP2000

If this is a result of "They now feel confident with DCA", then they should have been offering Disneyland Park only APs all along.

Rather, this seems to be a result of "There's unused capacity at DCA, but not at Disneyland. What do we do?" Seems like a reasonable solution to me, although I'm surprised they'd do it, since they've always tried to maintain the illusion that the two parks provide equal value, just like they used to do in Fla with the four parks until they made MK more expensive.

The cost for this pass is cheaper than a regular two-park Annual Pass.

It's some sort of marketing test obviously, since it's only offered for a short timeframe and only at local Costco stores in SoCal.

What's interesting about it is that they've obviously got customer feedback on DCA that allows them to try marketing it as its own thing finally, perhaps as a way to hook people into upgrading to a two-park pass a year or two from now.

Phroobar

Maybe they think Star Wars land will be so successful that they need to get rid of AP entry into Disneyland. There will only be AP entry into DCA. They did the opposite when DCA opened and quickly changed it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom